• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Site Simulcasts Shugo Chara!! Doki— Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:29 am Reply with quote
nightjuan said it perfectly when he said that anime is not a right, it's a privilege and one that should be shared with the whole world...

I mean, if Funi can make their streaming anime available to all [I'm not too sure what the situation is with downloads for people outside North America] and Gonzo can do the same on YouTube, why can't companies like Toei and Media Factory do the same, with top-quality picture and top-quality subs...

I don't usually agree with what Conan-san says a lot of the time but he's right when he says that people like me and various others have varying degrees of severity on expressing said agravation towards CR.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-376351/This-video-not-available-in-your-region.html?pg=0

This topic makes for interesting reading as the majority of people in the thread, in particular from the UK are expressing their displeasure towards Shinji for what he's done and believe that he and the other people that run CR aren't either bothered about them or won't change things any time soon in making more shows legal to UK viewers.

As for Slam Dunk, I'm definitely going to download it via BT and feel good about myself at the same time knowing that I won't have to jump hoops trying to watch a shitty encoded version! Very Happy

BTW, weazul-chan, tofusensei, you can argue and try to prove your arguments until you're both blue in the face but the honest truth is: Shinji has lied to the International members and unless he does something to rectify the situation like offer refunds to people outside North America [which is probably highly unlikely], I don't think that CR and DTD are the future of legal downloaded anime and live-action Asian shows especially if they're willing not to take money from people outside North America.

As for my money, instead of going on legal downloads, it's going to be spent on shitloads of Anime DVD's and a copy of the new Prinny game on PSP instead! Very Happy
edzieba

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:42 am Reply with quote
The problem here is twofold:
1) Crunchyroll misrepresenting their streams/downloads as being available worldwide, when they categorically are not.
2) Failure of rightsholders to abandon the regional licensing models for online distribution.
Some, like Gonzo, have got it right and provided a blanket online distribution license, and some like Toei are hanging on for dear life to their own detriment.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:56 am Reply with quote
Slight ademdum to that; Shows by Gonzo that have had a previous presence in the UK like Chrono Crusade are region blocked too, but that's ok because that anime is a downright insult to the source material and If I was gagging for it, there's dvds out there I can get.

My real problem with the whole situation is that there is no way to get the show legaly. If there were DVDs of Digimon Zero Two Uncut that I could waltz into Forbidden Planet to buy then It'd be all cool.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:27 am Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
The problem here is twofold:
1) Crunchyroll misrepresenting their streams/downloads as being available worldwide, when they categorically are not.
2) Failure of rightsholders to abandon the regional licensing models for online distribution.
Some, like Gonzo, have got it right and provided a blanket online distribution license, and some like Toei are hanging on for dear life to their own detriment.

Are Toei in trouble? If so they're perhaps digging their heels in and continuing to abide to their regional business model so as not to make any risky moves. After all, those who are left out of this deal with CR were never their customers to begin with.

Conan-san wrote:
My real problem with the whole situation is that there is no way to get the show legaly. If there were DVDs of Digimon Zero Two Uncut that I could waltz into Forbidden Planet to buy then It'd be all cool.

But FP's prices are no better than HMV's, unless it's Ghibli you're after.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kireek

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:42 am Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:
BorgmanJayce wrote:
Can you honestly justify to me and other non-North Americans why we should support CR if they're going to treat us like pariahs...

You shouldn't. But you shouldn't complain about it to no end, either. You have no right to the anime on that site. You never had a right to the anime on the site. If you were watching it online before, odds are you were pirating it. You have no legs to stand on here.

I am just sick of people complaining about this like they have some legal right to view this anime (for free or otherwise).

-Tofu

AYE AYE CAPTAIN !!!!!
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:50 am Reply with quote
He posted a list of what countries would have access to what anime right on the site... I don't understand the allegations of false advertising. Can you explain? (genuinely curious here)

-Tofu
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:03 am Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:
He posted a list of what countries would have access to what anime right on the site... I don't understand the allegations of false advertising. Can you explain? (genuinely curious here)

-Tofu

The reason so many people feel like they were mislead is because the old site had zero region blocking (except for Japan). Then Shinji comes and posts about how everything will be new and shiny and you should all buy a membership and doesn't mention very vocally that people who previous could view shows might not be able to view certain shows in the "new order".
No one bothered to look at the list that was posted, and shinji didn't exactly go out of his way to say "hey, by the way, a good 90% of the shows are region blocked in one place or another, just FYI".
Sure, you could say it's their fault for not researching what they were spending their money on appropriately, and it's definitely not the case where Crunchyroll explicitly promised something it didn't deliver, but I can understand how careless people who paid for a membership before looking at what was actually available feel cheated.
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:07 am Reply with quote
I see. Thank you.
edzieba

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:11 am Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:

-Tofu
I've been poking around the crunchyroll site for the past 15 minutes, and have been unable to find a page that links to said list* (let alone any mention in any of the FAQs, etc, as to regional availability). Just a "Sorry, this video is not available in your region" message upon attempting to play a video. Not even a cursory icon in the intex to indicate unavailability. Not to mention the press release and ANN news article make no mention of region locking (and even note Crunchyroll's 'international' and 'worldwide' status).

*Which is actually a list of upcoming shows, with regional availability added as what appears to be an afterthought. Talk about obfuscation.
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:22 am Reply with quote
I dunno, when you go to buy a membership there is a big link to "current program lineup" which goes to the list with the countries. I would hope one is looking at that list before rushing in to buy a membership, but I guess not.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:55 am Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:
I dunno, when you go to buy a membership there is a big link to "current program lineup" which goes to the list with the countries. I would hope one is looking at that list before rushing in to buy a membership, but I guess not.

That's because people just ASSUME crunchyroll will have all the videos it had before when they paid.

It's not really that silly an assumption. If I went to a site that had a ton of videos available, and then they suddenly all disappeared and the site posted about this deal where you could pay to get them in better quality, I'd just assume they meant all the videos they used to have as well.
We're not talking about informed consumers here, we're talking about kids, mainly.

CR's press releases and the news about them on _most_ sites made it extremely UNCLEAR that they were removing almost all the videos from their site, for understandable reasons because by admitting the removal they'd be publicly admitting they were streaming things illegally.
So either they make big noise about how they're now "clean" and risk angering their new partners in Japan or they downplay it and risk having their consumer base be confused and not know what's going on. Obviously they chose the latter.

You can definitely fault CR for being less than forthright about what was going on to the average user. But it doesn't go as far as deliberately misleading, IMO.
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:37 am Reply with quote
For all the CR fanboys/girls/Shinji-worshippers out there, let me use this analogy to try and explain the situation.

Let's say I'm going to a Chinese all-you-can-eat buffet where for a flat charge, you can eat all that you want in the buffet area.

You pay the fee and just as you take your plate and start to stuff yourself silly with all kinds of food, especially food from a certain area of the buffet, you get told that you're not allowed to take food from that area as it's only for people who paid a higher charge.

I start to complain that I wasn't told that I was only allowed food from a certain area of the buffet and the member of staff says that I should have been told about the fact that there were different prices for the buffet. I tell them that I wasn't told that and their reply is basically "tough luck!".

In any case, people who have been members of CR from the beginning or have only joined recently have every damn right to be bloody pissed off at Shinji and the other people who run the company for lying to them.

As I said in a previous post, I don't think CR will last for much longer if they continue to lose customers hand over fist, and to be brutally honest, I won't miss them at all, and I'm sure quite a few people here agree with me in saying that their attempts to become legit are half-assed if not worse at the most...

The CR apologists should be honest and admit that CR is not the holy and sacred legal download site that it claims to be when they can't even be bothered to cater for their members from outside North America at all...
edzieba

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:12 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
We're not talking about informed consumers here, we're talking about kids, mainly.
It's not just kids that are taken off-guards by this. I'm pretty confident I fall into the category of "informed consumer", and had previously avoided Crunchyroll like the plague due to their abysmal video quality. My last attempt at dealing with them involved being unable to pay for the downloadable version of Druaga (SQL failures, unfixed for several days). I had no idea until actually attempting to play the video that 999 and Harlock (among others presumably) were region-locked.
Kireek

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:19 am Reply with quote
So.

The owner goes under the false pretense that he is a college kid.

He/they lead people on into thinking that uploading/dowloading fansubs is perfectly fine.

He/they does not tell people the full details before they buy a membership.

But of course, the site gets 4 million pumped into it and thousands of people still flock to there.

Genious.
Shuchung

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:24 am Reply with quote
Blaming the regional block on Crunchyroll is just stupid. They obviously don't own world distribution rights to these titles, so there's nothing they can do about it. At least direct your anger and complaints at the right place. You'd be better off trying to convince Toei to let go of the rights than trolling Crunchyroll.

BorgmanJayce wrote:
For all the CR fanboys/girls/Shinji-worshippers out there, let me use this analogy to try and explain the situation.

Let's say I'm going to a Chinese all-you-can-eat buffet where for a flat charge, you can eat all that you want in the buffet area.

Perhaps you should read the menu first.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/lineup
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7