• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lyrical Nanoha Innocent Manga to Launch in July

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Actar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Okay... Isn't one of the reasons that StrikerS sold twice as much as A's because it's twice as long? (^.^;)

Anyways, I do agree that one of the things that StrikerS did that irked many of the fans was to grow the main cast up. But that's just only one reason why, in my opinion, falls short.

Kind of spoilery, so be careful...

Other than the militaristic feel, the characterization mess ups, the lack of NanoFeiHaya action and the training, I think the series was just way, way too overambitious. What do I mean? Well, to put it simply... Too. Many. Characters. I can't count the times where the billions of characters that were introduced and just weren't given enough screen time or development for us to sufficiently care for them. In the same vein, they also tried to expand the series by introducing to us the entire magical universe which, I think, was again not very well done or given sufficient elaboration. I also didn't care much for many of the concepts that were introduced in the series. Cyborgs? Giant Mecha? Where'd that come from?

Finally, the fact that it wasn't set on earth also bothered me. One of the reasons that the original and A's was so good (to me), is that it was quite relateable. Being in a foreign magical world just came out of left field to me and I wasn't able to get attached to it due to the lack of development (as explained earlier).

I don't know why, but they really, really wanted to age the main characters a lot in this seires. They are only 19, but already take on so adult roles, have so adult personalities and Nanoha and Fate being mothers??? Really? Urgh, that just blew my mind. The characters become completely unrelatable (to me). I'm an advocate of 'freedom' and I don't like seeing characters being tied down or restricted in one way or another. (LIMITERS!!! GAH!!!) I can understand that as they mature, they need to take on more responsibilties. But is is too much to ask to take it slowly? And not at the expense of character personality, development and screentime? Responsibility is one thing, held back is another.

Not to mention, what happened to all of Nanoha's friends and family? I don't' recall ever seeing them in the series.

I really hate to make this comparison, but do you know of the Ben 10 series? In the original, he was 10, not unlike Nanoha. Alien Force was a series set when Ben, the main hero, was a teenager, again, not unlike StrikerS. Usually, I hate series that significantly age characters but I didn't mind it at all with Alien Force. Why?

- They followed the main characters.
- Their personalities and characters remained the same (or at least similar) and you could believe that they were the same people and actually acted their age.
- They were still doing what they do best, fighting Aliens, on Earth. 5. Not to mention, they were also still in school and not holding unbearable admin positions.

As you can see, we have two very similar franchises, but I feel that Alien Force just handled the 'older characters' thing much better than StrikerS.

I guess what I really want to say is that if they really, really needed to have a third season, they should have continued it directly from A's when they were in high school. Familiar and established setting, characters and freedom from all that 'responsibility'.
Ringking

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I think that what the Nanoha franchise needs more than anything is a series to bridge the gap between A's and StrikerS. The sudden aging of the characters and shaking up of the setting really was quite jarring.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Okay... Isn't one of the reasons that StrikerS sold twice as much as A's because it's twice as long? (Anime smallmouthWink

No, but I can see why one may think that. Typically when one refers to sales in anime, they refer to the average amount of sales per volume. In the case of StrikerS, it averaged 22,590 copies sold per volume. A's on the other hand averaged 10,817 copies per volume.

Source
pcj

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Given who it appears is in the picture, maybe this story depicts spoiler[what happens in Fate's dream in the Book of Darkness if she had opted to stay in the dream instead of rejecting it and going back to reality.]
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:06 am Reply with quote
I did not just read this thr....oh...yes, I actually did.

I have next to no clue about the series but the whole sentiment that is so present in this discussion, that creators of any work of fiction have any sort of responsibility to cater to fans...that is just hilarious. If anyone could please judge sequels of a series not based on the fact that some of the protagonists are older/mothers/whatever.
All these complaints about more adult traits of characters seem like complaints about the fact that one is not able to fantasize about these pure (fudging children!!) characters anymore. And that's some serious [expletive] issues.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:29 am Reply with quote
infiltration.cru wrote:
I did not just read this thr....oh...yes, I actually did.
All these complaints about more adult traits of characters seem like complaints about the fact that one is not able to fantasize about these pure (fudging children!!) characters anymore. And that's some serious [expletive] issues.
Yep, it is. But what else does one expect out of a subculture embedded in a society which increasingly lacks female purity beyond the adolescent years? A sentimental man needs to get his purity fantasies somewhere, and children do tend to be the most pure if yah know what I mean.
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:36 am Reply with quote
Anymouse wrote:
if yah know what I mean.

i fear so and i want to shoot myself in the face.

but, i am not even trying to argue about the japanese part of the subculture, my statement refers solely to this thread. cause, you gotta start small, right?

EDIT: also, i can't bring myself to see "female purity" as a desirable trait.
Heinzendegger

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Purity isn't a desirable trait?
Such a tainted heart you have.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Now you're a misogynist too?
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Heinzendegger wrote:

The idea of equating having sex with loss of purity is what is not a desirable trait. And yes, this is an idea I would like to see obliterated, killed, stomped into the dirt, and never revived again.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Now you're a misogynist too?

Of course he's a misogynist.

Can I please eject him from my fandom?
Anymouse

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I am a virgin and proud of it. I like many other men simply expect a girl up to my standards. Not that complicated, misogynistic, or offensive. It's just that I am a sufficiently self aware thinking individual that I don't go off the lolicon deep end.
Heinzendegger wrote:
Sadly a lot of people are very tainted today. Loli and all the rest are simply variant parts of that taint.
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:43 pm Reply with quote
yes i am tainted. and i am incredibly proud of it.

@anymouse: i wasn't referring to your personal standards, rather to the social framework that links the desirability of women with how pure they are according to a patriarchal set of standards. seeing as it often also includes being dependable on the male counterpart, i couldn't think of a less desirable characterisation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4