• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimations Adds My Bride Is A Mermaid! Comedy Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:06 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
ArthurFrDent wrote:
what I really hope is that Funi doesn't fail to learn the lessons of ADV, ie. licensing averything that moves...

And then dub it and then bitch at the fanbase when we don't buy it.

But unlike ADV, FUNimation has mainstream hits. One of the biggest titles in R1 this very day is a title that FUNimation licensed in the 90's, and was originally released in Japan in the 80's...
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
ArthurFrDent wrote:
what I really hope is that Funi doesn't fail to learn the lessons of ADV, ie. licensing averything that moves...

But unlike ADV, FUNimation has mainstream hits. One of the biggest titles in R1 this very day is a title that FUNimation licensed in the 90's, and was originally released in Japan in the 80's...

It was also on TV constantly for years in a primetime slot for children and tweens. Give more anime that chance they'd be huge too.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:12 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
ArthurFrDent wrote:

They've got every right to bitch at the fanbase who begs and begs for a series to brought over, and then produces only mediocre--if that--sales. I'm looking at you, Haruhi...not to mention any number of others.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
ArthurFrDent wrote:

Indeed, but it wasn't that DBZ was so mainstream which made it so profitable, but the fact that it was so long. So FUNi can reap the rewards of such a long series.

By comparison, Evangelion is rated #4 here on ANN in terms of "most seen", whereas Dragonball Z is around #25ish (you can look up the exact number if ya don't believe me)

So it's not that ADV didn't have popular anime, it just didn't have super long lasting ones.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:14 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Primus wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
ArthurFrDent wrote:

It was also on TV constantly for years in a primetime slot for children and tweens. Give more anime that chance they'd be huge too.

It only got that due to perserverance and luck on FUNimation's part. Since that show went through syndication with different voice casts, etc.

Besides, what titles have ADV licensed ever that could have achieved that success (they didn't license Saint Seiya, DiC did, if they did it could have been big)? I'd dare say Sgt. Frog because of things like the SpongeBob era. But they couldn't get their act together to give it a TV deal (they tried, and failed, but so did FUNimation with DragonBall, but unlike them, they battled through it and got DB on TV).
DomFortress

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
I'm going to hold off on bitching about them until the legal CoA. But regardless...this is cute, like I said, but if it's harem...that automatically means a no-sell for me. I would just feel vile if a harem show ever innocuously crept into my collection.
Well my friend, here's the truth as I see it. The original manga that the anime series was based on was mediocre at best, but the anime itself surpassed everyone's expectation, including those who've never seen the manga. And it took Gonzo, a studio that's notoriously known for hits-and-misses on original anime adaptations, to produce an eye-opener that even made me did a double-take. That's what I have to say just how pleasing the anime experience was for me.

At the very least, you can wait and see the FUNimation streaming of the anime before you decide for yourself to pass up this anime sensation I called My Bride Is A Mermaid! And consider this could be your very first experience in harem genre anime, I'll say make it a good one with this series!
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
I'm going to hold off on bitching about them until the legal CoA. But regardless...this is cute, like I said, but if it's harem...that automatically means a no-sell for me. I would just feel vile if a harem show ever innocuously crept into my collection.

Dude, you've got some issues. There's nothing that's so both amusing and sad as someone who is willing to write off an entire genre of any medium.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
sailorsean

Antanaru wrote:
And again funi show how they suck even with title translation. Hands off Seto no Hanayome you bastards!

wow i've never seen anyone so pissed off a title traslation... really im excited about this news but its fans like you who are so ignorant and for people like you who ruin it for everyone else... seriously get a life Rolling Eyes
zanarkand princess

DBZ is a pop culture icon. Had it got no play on TV we would probably be calling it "That show that lasted way to long" and not the prime example of Shounen action.

Oh and while I agree that we shouldn't bitch when we beg for something then don't buy it, we can complain if you keep spending money on shows that the majority of fans couldn't care less for. Though Gonzo was probably selling titles for $2 a piece in this case the things you see fans requesting are Shana season 2, Higurashi season 2, Toradora, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, and Vampire Knight. I'm sure they are taking notice of this and maybe they need to get this out of the way. But I hope they don't expect many of these shows to be best sellers.

"My Bride Is A Mermaid" might do well enough as will Bamboo Blade but I wouldn't print too many copies of Dragonaut if I were them.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:41 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

Dude, you've got some issues. There's nothing that's so both amusing and sad as someone who is willing to write off an entire genre of any medium.

Ah, and she insults me regardless of the topic! Smile

But seriously...it's harem. Need I say much else? There's a reason it, as well as loli, are stock examples that outsiders use as arguments AGAINST anime fans. And to be honest, that's why I wish these genres did not exist...but that's getting too much into semantics. So I'll just leave it at the fact that I don't like harems.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:58 pm Reply with quote
SnH isn't your average harem though. I mean sure, there are times when Nagasumi gets pulled between San, Mawari, and Luna, but where the show really pulls through is when it employs many varied styles of animations, all parodying different things. Whether it's the Terminator or the average American comic book style, SnH will use a different style of animation (like how SZS does as well, to those fans of Zetsubou-sensei).

Honestly, Seto no Hanayome is just plain hilarious. Particularly if you like wacky comedy akin to Azumanga Daioh and/or School Rumble.

Though SnH isn't just a comedy. There are times when it gets very serious as well, like Nagasumi going all "Hokuto no Ken" on people Wink
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:01 pm Reply with quote
so, ish... would you call RahXephon a harem? I kid, sorta...
DomFortress

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
SongstressCela wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

Ah, and she insults me regardless of the topic! Smile

But seriously...it's harem. Need I say much else? There's a reason it, as well as loli, are stock examples that outsiders use as arguments AGAINST anime fans. And to be honest, that's why I wish these genres did not exist...but that's getting too much into semantics. So I'll just leave it at the fact that I don't like harems.
Well then I have to spoil it a little for ya. For you see, the male protagonist has the decency to have his harem in the end, because spoiler[he gained both the approval from the head of a Japanese Yakuza(bad ass thug turns father-in-law) and the kingpin of an international crime syndicate(terminator turns father-in-law).] And you just have to find out how hilariously he managed to pull that off for yourself.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:05 pm Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:
so, ish... would you call RahXephon a harem? I kid, sorta...

To quote Yugi from YGO Abridged: "Oh ha ha ha, you think you're so funny. Now cut it out."

I kid, bro! I could sorta see it, because a number of the main women fell for him...but that show just baaarrreeelllyy skirted being a harem by being far more serious than such. Plus, I found the number of girls hitting on him comical rather than forced.
neothe0ne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Masa-san, Shark, Luna, San, Nagasumi, Saru, Zenigata, Maki, Inchou, San's parents, and Luna's dad.

Oh man, I can't wait to own this. I'll be cranking up "Romantic Summer" and "My Gravitation" to the max. Not to mention "The Song of War" Anime hyper

your gravitation
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9