• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chicks On Anime - International Fan Culture

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loganator456

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:37 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
You are right about the merchandise helping out. I've seen countless times that Bandai rakes in more from Gunpla than they ever could from DVD sales. You can't download merch, so it's always a good way to try to sell a DVD by packaging with it. And it's unarguable that Japanese DVDs tend to contain better physical extras than American ones. The issue here is that Americans aren't as merchandise crazy as the otaku seem to be.
I'm just as crazy about merchandise, way more so than I am about DVDs. Honestly, I don't really like buying DVDs.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:04 am Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:
So, first you have to convince Japanese producers that DVD is dead in North America and Europe.

A bit extreme, don't you think? I was under the assumption DVD sales were the intended result of choosing to stream many shows.

Yeah I think that is a little extreme to as how do you get new fans with a stream only model, it would have to be a word of mouth, as opposed to something aired on TV and walk in and see a DVD of it at say Wal-Mart or Target.

I do think that streams are a method of promoting DVD sales. With the lack of Anime on TV now, the companies needed another way to let people see their product. Show that appear on TV tend to sell very well compared to those that don't, so it was a necessary step. The guests at a con panel I attended in the summer mentioned that the US companies had been trying to have a stronger online presence, but it was tough to convince the Japanese companies that it was a good move.

I find it interesting how in Japan it's acceptable for a DVD to have a couple of episodes and be $40-50 while here such a price would be ridiculous. Personally, it's a matter of being thrifty with my hobby. I'd like to hear what other people think.
yojimboray

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:11 am Reply with quote
Without question, the best "chicks on anime" article ever. Your guest was knowledgeable, thoughtful, and even-handed.

His prognostication of the future of anime due to japan's aging population and low birthrate was insightful and disturbing. the best thing about anime is its japanese flavor; it will be a sad day if/when anime production companies will have to bow down to the tastes of the international, cultural-fusion community in the future.

I hope you bring him back for another interview soon.
reanimator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:07 am Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
I wish I had time to dig up the links, but basically other than the top TV shows (see latest ANN news link for TV ratings--it's all little kid/family shows), anime is essentially a pay-for-play business model in Japan. The "advertisers" for late-night anime are the production partners who paid to make the anime in the first place, those that will make money on the DVDs, merchandising and licensing. So they are really paying the TV station to play the anime, which drives the revenue from other sources. The comparison in the U.S. is infomercials.

In the U.S., a series is picked up by a network based on the pilot under the assumption that the show will consistently draw enough viewers to earn sufficient revenue from advertisers. Those advertisers pay by the number of viewers according to ratings. That's why low overall viewership, regardless of rabid niche audience popularity, gets shows cancelled (e.g., Star Trek). If a show isn't successful, or doesn't play at all, then no DVDs. You don't see TV shows that didn't air selling on DVD, right? Cable companies that run ads work on the same model. Others like HBO try to pick or even produce their own shows that are popular, because if people don't watch, subscriptions fall off, and they lose money.

The popular kids and family anime in Japan can also earn "real" advertising dollars, so the model is like American TV. But no sane advertiser is going to pay money for ads during Ikki Tousen, To Love Ru, Rosario+Vampire, Strike Witches and Kanokon, right? The only audience is otaku, and they spend all their money on anime and its merchandise, not counting the stigma. So, how does Ikki Tousen, three seasons worth of it, get aired? Because the anime producers pay to air it, so they can sell DVDs and stuff to the otaku. There is a close correlation between the number of threads on 2channel (the otaku forum site) for an anime series, and the number of DVDs that will be sold, because that's the core of the audience.

The Japanese producers are in the same situation, ironically, as the R1 companies. Except the economics and structure of the industry there allow them to pay for airing the shows on TV, and they have a dedicated, captive audience that will pay for merchandise, and for 10,000 copies of a $700 special edition of Full Metal Alchemist, and do it right before a remake of the same show airs. Those little plastic figures and dakimakura are sold by the ton. Years after the show airs in fact (Haruhi, Evangelion...).

Imagine if the market were large enough for anime in the U.S., that a cable channel existed where R1 companies could pay to play the anime, and enough people would watch that would then buy DVDs? We would have the same model as the Japanese. But we don't have a large enough market to support the cost of operating a channel. The DVD sales are too low, and we won't buy enough Nanoha dolls.

So... back to the My HIME/My Otome marathon...

Great post. Thanks for clearing up how current Japanese market side works. You're right. Just because immense popularity of some anime titles like Naruto, FMA, Pokemon, and lower DVD price, fans here mistakenly assume that Anime is cheap mainstream media for every demographic group when it's still a niche product for very small dedicated audience.

I've read people who can't buy Anime DVDs for various reasons. Being a college student, I understand the situation. If he or she can't buy DVD, then why not rent one from, say, Netflix? It's perfectly legal and it actually supports domestic anime distributors without hurting your wallet.

I bought Kelt's book while ago and it's really great. I really like where he mentions more about "Anime Style" in his book.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I think it's all quite accessible, actually, and I don't think there's anything wrong with the growth model. After all, I went from Hardy Boys mystery stories, and a few Nancy Drew books, to studying Joyce's Ulysses in college. What's wrong with going from Pokémon, to Sailor Moon, to Naruto, to Bleach, to Death Note, to ... Grave of the Fireflies? No problem, in my little book.

Ah, more academics should think this way. As a professor, I teach a lot of manga in my literature classes (and do get grief about it from departmental higher-ups on occasion). It's a great way to teach literature to art students and in general to showcase metafiction and mise-en-abyme.
Mitsuho

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:02 am Reply with quote
Neither market is black and white. EN: Wonderfalls is canceled from network TV yet the DVD box set is still produced. JP: AD supported streaming content is RECOGNIZED as a huge growth segment. Wii TV streaming channel actualization, with a userbase/business model even 'curmudgeons' can grasp, can't fail to get some ball rolling with the broadcast structure.

DD: I tried the CR.com experiment with Strike Witches. It could catch on... but the price point per episode was still too high. Maybe a 100% complete catalog with unlimited monthly pricing.
DVD: Karaoke, subtitling, dual language subtitles, etc. Fansubbing has more than any DVD could offer (Except textless OP). I don't want 'extra' clips or trailers (Ugg, unskippable title root intro garbage); I like the helpful contextual comments.
TV: I would pay to add a subtitled anime channels to my cable lineup. Marathon presentation. Cable has hundreds of unused channels. Change shows weekly with at least 7 shows/seasons on loop per channel.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:16 pm Reply with quote
thanks for the insight pparker, I hadn't thought of it in that way...
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:33 pm Reply with quote
some of that article is very misleading:

american cartoons being frowned upon!

a large part of that perception is because companies like marvel keep rebroadcasting 1960's versions of batman and spiderman where the artwork was a far cry from today's standards because they can still make money from them and the target audience was only kids.

but if you look at the animation of projects like lion king, batman returns and many more newer projects where the artwork has evolved and the target audience is not only the kids but their parents as well you can see a barely perceptible gap between anime and NA animation.

the biggest difference is other than projects like heavy metal there is a serious lack of NA animation geared solely to an older audience in comparison to anime and that's where the perception in NA that cartoons are for kids comes from. we simply don't make many that aim at the 15-25 year old market.

as for the japanese technophobes think that's probably going to be just as likely to find american company heads who can barely turn on their computers much less use them as a daily tool as you are in japan. some people just don't like computers and there are those who simply refuse to learn how to use them because they don't trust them. its more an age group issue because there was a period {about a decade} during the .com craze where battle lines were drawn between people who embraced technology and those who didn't and to this day many who didn't still avoid any use of computers.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:

I do think that streams are a method of promoting DVD sales. With the lack of Anime on TV now, the companies needed another way to let people see their product. Show that appear on TV tend to sell very well compared to those that don't, so it was a necessary step. The guests at a con panel I attended in the summer mentioned that the US companies had been trying to have a stronger online presence, but it was tough to convince the Japanese companies that it was a good move.

I find it interesting how in Japan it's acceptable for a DVD to have a couple of episodes and be $40-50 while here such a price would be ridiculous. Personally, it's a matter of being thrifty with my hobby. I'd like to hear what other people think.

Well I have nothing against legal, streamed media. I just question it being the only model of consumption, as to those who would be interested in streaming anime would have to know about it already in some way. And even ANN gives you a list option for online stores for shows that they stream for those who are interested in a physical copy.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:47 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

To give you a sense of why I think most anime is priced too high, back in the day I was a huge Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan. I bought the first five season boxsets. Each season had 22 hour-long episodes, which is equivalent of 44 episodes of anime.

Heh, ya remind me of a certain Fisheye.... Laughing

pparker wrote:

Imagine if the market were large enough for anime in the U.S., that a cable channel existed where R1 companies could pay to play the anime,

At least in broadcast and especially with children's shows, the FCC does not allow that practice, however. Infomercials are another matter.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
You are right about the merchandise helping out. I've seen countless times that Bandai rakes in more from Gunpla than they ever could from DVD sales. You can't download merch, so it's always a good way to try to sell a DVD by packaging with it.

Unfortunately, anime in America does not have the merchandise process machine that Japan has set up. They'd have to use others' domestic merchandise process, not to mention distribution channels. Importing would be too prohibitive for mass consumption.
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:28 am Reply with quote
Mitsuho wrote:
DVD: Karaoke, subtitling, dual language subtitles, etc. Fansubbing has more than any DVD could offer (Except textless OP). I don't want 'extra' clips or trailers (Ugg, unskippable title root intro garbage); I like the helpful contextual comments.

Ummm..that doesn't make any sense. Fansub offering more than DVDs? If you're talking about fansub simply having more side notes, then DVDs can do the same thing with better features. Blatantly put, fansub is just superimposed, indelible screen texts. Depends on title, DVD makers do put those helpful contextual comments/cultural notes under DVD menu or pop-up bubbles. Good example would be Excel Saga. You can skip opening and ending credits on just about all Anime DVD's. You can skip extra clips and trailers with a press of the button. I do admit that those title root intro is annoying, but they only last 5 seconds or so.

You can't turn off subtitles on fansubs when you feel they're distracting or obscuring the view. You have to click & drag or fast forward at exact time frame of fansubs videos when you're tired of watching opening, ending, and preview
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:38 am Reply with quote
I might also add that some DVD titles have commentaries or interviews (or both) with either the original director of the series and voice actors or the Distributors staff and voice actors. The best few examples I can think of are Appleseed (CG movie), Paranoia Agent, and FLCL.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:03 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
Mitsuho wrote:

Ummm..that doesn't make any sense. Fansub offering more than DVDs? If you're talking about fansub simply having more side notes, then DVDs can do the same thing with better features. Blatantly put, fansub is just superimposed, indelible screen texts. Depends on title, DVD makers do put those helpful contextual comments/cultural notes under DVD menu or pop-up bubbles. Good example would be Excel Saga. You can skip opening and ending credits on just about all Anime DVD's. You can skip extra clips and trailers with a press of the button. I do admit that those title root intro is annoying, but they only last 5 seconds or so.

You can't turn off subtitles on fansubs when you feel they're distracting or obscuring the view. You have to click & drag or fast forward at exact time frame of fansubs videos when you're tired of watching opening, ending, and preview

AFAIK, they could do all those too in MKV format, if they go the extra distance.
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:06 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
You can't turn off subtitles on fansubs when you feel they're distracting or obscuring the view.
I have no trouble turning off the subtitles whatsoever - it requires exactly two mouse clicks. What you are describing are hardsubs, which are pretty much a thing of the past. Almost all fansub groups use softsubs now and have been doing so for quite some time. They will usually create a hardsubbed version for people with antiquated computers or standalone DVD players, but some groups are moving away from that practice. Softsubs also allow for multiple subtitle tracks so you could have a track with translator notes and one without, and switch between them at your pleasure.
Quote:
You have to click & drag or fast forward at exact time frame of fansubs videos when you're tired of watching opening, ending, and preview
The use of ordered chapters in fansubs is also gaining ground, especially when dealing with large high definition files. Repetitive sequences - usually the OP and ED - are rendered as separate files. The individual episode files contain markers that tell the video software when to insert and play the OP and ED files. You normally keep all the files in the same series folder, but if you don't want to watch the OP and/or ED you simply remove those files from the series folder.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:19 am Reply with quote
Furudanuki wrote:
I have no trouble turning off the subtitles whatsoever - it requires exactly two mouse clicks. What you are describing are hardsubs, which are pretty much a thing of the past. Almost all fansub groups use softsubs now and have been doing so for quite some time. They will usually create a hardsubbed version for people with antiquated computers or standalone DVD players, but some groups are moving away from that practice. Softsubs also allow for multiple subtitle tracks so you could have a track with translator notes and one without, and switch between them at your pleasure.
The use of ordered chapters in fansubs is also gaining ground, especially when dealing with large high definition files. Repetitive sequences - usually the OP and ED - are rendered as separate files. The individual episode files contain markers that tell the video software when to insert and play the OP and ED files. You normally keep all the files in the same series folder, but if you don't want to watch the OP and/or ED you simply remove those files from the series folder.

Well this goes back to the simple "People are lazy" aspect of business, sure for those who are wiling to take the time and effort in doing so it's a big deal. However most will just want something to watch, hence streams and DVDs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4