• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Zeta Ships... With Changes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:56 am Reply with quote
Cyrax9 wrote:
This thing was touted as an "Original and UNCUT box set" for quite some time by BanDai! Did they forget that FALSE ADVERTISING is illegal!?

To be fair though, the show itself is uncut. Nothing was physically removed from the footage, it just has different audio on top of it (unless they actually changed the video in the OP to fit the music, of course, which I haven't heard anything about).

It's uncut, just not unedited. But even though it's edited for music, the entire fifty episode span of the series apparently hasn't been altered. Short of Bandai's failure to inform us of certain exclusions, I honestly fail to see what there is to get so worked up over. Getting the MP3s of these songs is simple enough—hell, there're even sites that lets you download the video of the OP (one of whch I know for a fact has both of Zeta's)—but the show itself remains intact, and I think that's the vastly more important part that has gotten lost in simple purist nitpicking.

Cyrax9 wrote:
Do I even have to go into "God Gundam" and the whole name editing? I thought not. Also, NOTE: This is where toy sales started to slip and BanDai sat on one Zeta Lisence...

I wouldn't be surprised if at least part of the long Zeta delay was due to legal issues that Bandai of America was ultimately defeated in. Also, dubbing an entire fifty episode series in one go as opposed to gradually as each volume is put out naturally makes the release date for the entire bunch set back much farther than a standard "volume one" release would be.

Don't get me wrong, it was a pretty long wait, but I think Bandai has at least some sort of good reason for a fair amount of it.

Cyrax9 wrote:
I don't know why this is labeled an SE though as it doesn't look edited to me sans that font.

That actually happens all the time in the domestic DVD market. Just about every movie getting put on DVD these days has "Special Edition" somewhere on the packaging, even if there is no "standard" edition following it, and even if the movie was a glaringly average performer at the box office with no real "Special Edition" materials on the dsic to speak of (Resident Evil, anyone?).

Cyrax9 wrote:
and don't forget "ATHRUN ZALA" which at least 90% of fansub groups translated as ASURAN or ASRAN Zala!

Yes, because the fansubbers were WRONG. "Athrun Zala" is the name that Sunrise, the people that made the show, gave the character. This isn't Bandai, this is SUNRISE naming SEED's characters. Even the alterations made for the North American release (like changing Raww le Klueze to Rau le Creuset) was all Sunrise's idea.

Don't blame Bandai for stuff they didn't do, and DO NOT use fansubbers as any sort of "official" source.

Cyrax9 wrote:
Canada's OCEAN GROUP known for the travesty US DBZ release

Ocean Group merely did the voicework. If you want the EDITING, aim your ranting at Saban.

Cyrax9 wrote:
I hope we see ZZ Gundam and Victory Gundam soon to cap off the Universal Century -- preferrably before we get SEED Destiny, and I hope as SEED Destiny is being released, MSG and MSZG are reissued with the errors fixed.

Victory will likely be one of the last series released, while SEED Destiny comes in just after (or right around the same time as) Double Zeta. SEED's been one of the biggest Gundam titles locally since Wing it seems (despite a decidedly botched TV run), so they'll be looking to capitalise on that. Then my guess is they'll go after X since it has a bit of a "Wing vibe" stylistically, and will be their last grab at mass market appeal before the ultra-niche Victory & Turn-A releases.

Zeta's problems might be partially corrected depending on whether or not there's another standard release coming up after this Limited Edition deal. As for the original series, last I heard the Japanese audio track was beyond repair, and the series wasn't profitable enough here to warrant buying said audio even if it does exist.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
JinchuuGundam85

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:55 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
simple purist nitpicking.

So we should just except a mangled series? I wonder how you would react Nagisa if this happened to SEED?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Ocean Group merely did the voicework. If you want the EDITING, aim your ranting at Saban.

And they did an excellent job at the voicework too. The first three movies produced by, what as then, Pioneer are the best English adaptations you'll ever find of DBZ. They were left totally uncut and had great voice acting Smile.
zaphdash

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Cyrax9 wrote:
2. The Dishonesty: Seriously, I could DEAL WITH the songs, but even PARAMOUNT PICTURES had the guts to come clean with the "Star Trek: TOS" episode "City on the Edge of Forever" and brand it "SPECIAL HOME VIDEO VERSION" in ALL CAPS on ALL RELEASES (On VHS AND later on DVD) and say "Some MUSIC has been changed for the video release of this title" -- also due to Royalties! Sound familar? I thought so, this is what annoys me. Not even a STICKER on the shrinkwrap to alert us! I wouldn't mind it as much if I had known, but I feel cheated out of my $160 Dollars and am ready to import Region-2's and play them on my All-Region DVD-ROM Drive!

You feel cheated out of $160 because you didn't get a few songs, so you're ready to pay an additional ¥78,000? Hey, it's your money, but that seems just a little wasteful to me.

Quote:
3. THE DVD's THEMSELVES! -- Okay, this is beyond insanity, it's a crime in my opinion. BanDai treats one of the most well-respected Gundam shows like trash with a Pessemistic attitude, releases an overpriced BOX SET via PRE-ORDER ONLY and pulls the highly touted volumes, cancels ALL of the prototyped toys and model kits, and makes us wait two years for a project that's STILL half-baked!? This reminds me of the N64 and Nintendo's "wait a little longer" attitude -- the only thing that's worse is the perpetually delayed "Duke Nukem Forever" game, which will probably be just as half baked as this release of Zeta Gundam was! Why couldn't BanDai have just given us a DVD Box set, no frills, complete and TRUELY UNCUT without all of the BS?! It was supposedly ready in 2002! At least I'm lucky -- a friend is giving me his original 80's TV Tapes of Zeta Gundam from the original airings without any screw-ups and VCR trimmed commercials!

Wait, with all your rambling about toys and videogames, I got a little lost. What exactly is wrong with the DVDs? Where was this "crime"? The only actual complaint here is with the price, and that's really not valid. You're only going to get the complete show cheaper with bootlegs. I swear to god, all the complaining people do about prices...do you even realize how much anime costs in Japan?

I'm sure those nth generation VHS tapes recorded off TV twenty years ago are going to be fantastic, too.

Quote:
4. No REMASTERING!? -- Okay, is it just me, or shouldn't a series this old have undergone a REMASTERING!? BSSM did for the Japanese reissue, as did the Gundam Movies, why not the Zeta Series?! Forget the George Lucas "Frame by frame" mentality for a moment even, a standard remastering of the video would suffice. Honestly you can TELL they didn't remaster it! This annoys me a bit.

How can you tell that it wasn't remastered? Is it those beautiful, vibrant colors (which, by the way, look much better than on the R2 release, which is generally darker and a little washed out)? For being twenty years old, it looks extremely good regardless of whether or not it was remastered.

Quote:
insert senseless ranting here

Bandai uses ZRO for shorter shows, Ocean for longer shows. There's no evolution here, this is just how they do it. Not to mention, your info here is just flat out wrong. Gundam Wing and Char's Counterattack were both Ocean jobs, and the 08th MS Team was done by ZRO. G-Saviour wasn't even dubbed. It was made in Canada and has been in English all along. All Bandai did was put it on a DVD and start selling it.

Bandai used ZRO for 0080, 0083, and 08MST because they're all only a few episodes long. They used Ocean for Wing, G, etc. because they're longer shows.

Quote:
7. Mobile Suit Gundam/First Gundam - BanDai Visual & The Ocean Group

STOP! Remember how the theme was changed here as well? Dollars to dougnuts the same evil company was involved.

Pretty much every change to First Gundam was mandated by Tomino himself. I don't know if he said anything about the theme song, but I'd imagine he probably had a hand in that too. Besides, my understanding is the theme song is on the DVDs (I wouldn't know as I didn't buy them). Anyway, have you actually heard the First Gundam theme song? Sure, I'd love for everything to be left alone, and while I wouldn't have tinkered with the song, I can certainly see why Bandai did.

Quote:
8. Mobile Fighter G-Gundam - BanDai Visual & The Ocean Group

Do I even have to go into "God Gundam" and the whole name editing? I thought not. Also, NOTE: This is where toy sales started to slip and BanDai sat on one Zeta Lisence...

Bandai didn't have a say in the matter. The powers that be in Japan made this change and Bandai's options were to accept them or not release the show. Bandai did what they could by leaving the names unaltered in the subtitle script. Sunrise actually wanted to remove the country concept entirely from the American release, but they found that it really couldn't be done, so they went with Plan B, which was to rename some of the mobile suits. Personally, I think that's better than not getting the show at all.

Quote:
10. Mobile Suit Gundam SEED - BanDai Visual & The Ocean Group

STOP! Remember the 08th Team Dub? This is nearly as bad, and don't forget "ATHRUN ZALA" which at least 90% of fansub groups translated as ASURAN or ASRAN Zala! I think the worst offense though is the change to "May FORTUNES Smile upon us" from "May THE HEAVENS Smile upon us" in the opening sequence, don't even get me started on the CN butchering...

Hm. There are two sets of names. Do I use the one put out by the creators of the show, the people who MADE these characters in the first place? Or do I go with one of the numerous variations that exist in the fan community, created by people who are basically just guessing at what they think it should be based on the Japanese phonetic system, which leaves plenty of room for error?

As for your extremely minor translation quibbles, refer to the Zeta thread that exists on the Anime forum.

Quote:
11. Mobile Suit ZETA Gundam - BanDai Visual & The Ocean Group

STOP! Do you guys see a pattern? When BanDai was releasing Gundam under the Animevillage label using the PIONEER DVD PRESS and working with a UNIONIZED COMPANY -- ZRO LIMIT PRODUCTIONS, shows came out better, the translations were better and the overall end product was better.

A dirty secret: In 2002 when the Walt Disney Co. aquired Saban Entertainment Inc., and the FOX FAM channel as well as all programs and debts; including "Power Rangers" they went spending-spree happy. Since BANDAI owns BEI/BanDai Entertainment/BanDai Visual, they were collatoral. Disney bought out BANDAI AMERICA (NOT BANDAI JAPAN!!! Big differance) which OWNED BANDAI VISUAL! The result? DISNEY bought out BANDAI'S Anime companies! They constantly conflicted with ZRO until ZRO dropped BanDai like a hot rock, hence the redundant reuse of G-Gundam and lack of Zeta and F91. This lead to DISNEY taking another company they aqquird -- Canada's OCEAN GROUP known for the travesty US DBZ release, and MERGING them! The end result is the garbage we see today. The Ocean Group replaced ZRO Limit Productions, and a LOT of people lost respect for BanDai. While they haven't hit ADV's level of idiotic mistakes, they're getting close, VERY CLOSE.

I don't even know where to begin with this. Bandai Visual, first of all, is *not* owned by Bandai America. Bandai Visual is a subsidiary of Bandai and is responsible for releasing shows on video in Japan. Sunrise, which Bandai bought in 1994, produces anime, including Gundam, and to the best of my knowledge has no direct connection to Disney.

Second of all, ZRO didn't "drop" Bandai. Bandai chooses whether they'll use ZRO or Ocean or whoever else to dub their shows. Ocean was chosen by Tomino himself to do First Gundam, so they stuck with it for mainstream UC productions like F91 and CCA. They prefer to use Ocean for longer shows anyway, which is why they were used in the dubbing of Gundam Wing and G Gundam.

Quote:
Aside from that though, what I'd really like, without having to be dragged kicking and screaming to get it done, is for BanDai to:

1. Offer a FULL REFUND to anybody who bought these DVD's, as well as a replacement for the defective 4th Volume and a FORMAL APOLOGY for lack of quality control. Purely out of defense for the company's image.

Discs are sometimes burned badly. It happens. Talk to Bandai and they'll be more than happy to help you out with your defective disc. One bad burn doesn't equal a "lack of quality control" and certainly doesn't necessitate a full refund.

Quote:
2. A 2005 REISSUE of this box set, with the ORIGINAL SONGS, a "Gundam 25th Anniversary" packaging, and in place of Pencil Sharpeners, a MODEL KIT or Soundtrack set! DIGITALLY REMASTERED Transfers with Dolby Digital 5.1 sound and a BONUS "EXTRAS" DVD with extra footage and interviews. As well as a DISCOUNT COUPON for anyone who bought the first box set, redeeming it would be simple, you'd send BanDai the poster from the current box as a "proof of purchase" as the same poster would come in the new REISSUE. Said Reissue would also be AVAILABLE TO THE PUBLIC which brings me to #3.

Do you have any idea what copyrights and royalties actually are? Listen. Bandai does not have the music. It was composed by Neil Sedaka, an American musician, who retains all rights to distribute it outside of Japan. It's not like Bandai just decided they wanted to rain on your parade by changing the music. It doesn't even belong to them. For the same reason, there won't be any soundtracks released in the US.

Remastered transfers? Already went over that. 5.1 sound? Yeah, it's really worth the time, money, and effort to remix the entire soundtrack for the very small group of people who are actually going to buy these DVDs.

Discount coupon? After you already got your full refund? A bit greedy, aren't we?

What you don't understand is that Bandai is a BUSINESS. They released Zeta Gundam here not because they give a damn about you or what you want, but because they know that by releasing it in the US, they can make money. Their release will be optimized to make them the most money, which means they aren't going to release something so bad that it doesn't make them money, but they aren't going to release something that costs them more money than they're going to make back either.

Quote:
3. A PUBLIC RELEASE in a special "25th Anniversary" COLLECTOR'S BOX AND on 10 VOLUMES in a "Child Friendly" format a la Gundam Wing.

Why? You already have it. What's it matter to you how it's sold to other people? Bandai hasn't actually announced any formal decisions about an individual release, but whatever they do will go back to the fact that it's a business and they're trying to maximize profits. They aren't going to manufacture thousands of DVDs for such a small market.

Quote:
Finally, while this seems a bit extreme, I don't see it as wrong, I feel overcharged, cheated, sold a false advertisment and a defective disc!

You feel overcharged...and I can't help but think back to your eagerness earlier in the post to shell out for the R2 release. Have fun paying for that.

As for the defective disc, again, it was a simple mistake and if you contact Bandai about it, they should be more than happy to help you out. Just try to tone down the whole impudent child act.

Quote:
If BanDai needs a profit loss to realize they should have been more careful I doubt they'd get much sympathy from people who bought this box!

Actually, most of the people I've heard from, while they would have preferred the original songs, have the cognitive capacity to understand why they aren't there, can recognize the merits of the rest of the box, and are quite happy with it. Myself included.

Quote:
I was quite infuriated when MS Gundam was released and they randomly switched from Tobe! Gundam to that stupid CN Opening, and I'm even more aggravated at the Zeta butchering! I wish they'd also fix MSG and put THAT in a box, SUBBED an DUBBED but that's another rant about this now infamous shoulda/woulda/coulda been the greatest DVD Box Set of Anime ever.

First Gundam doesn't even exist on DVD in Japan. It's not because Bandai's out to get you, it's because the soundtrack is pretty much ruined. Before they released the movie trilogy on DVD, they had to get the entire cast back together and record it again. If you can find an audio master in good condition, I'm sure Bandai would love to oblige your request.

Quote:
I hope we see ZZ Gundam and Victory Gundam soon to cap off the Universal Century -- preferrably before we get SEED Destiny, and I hope as SEED Destiny is being released, MSG and MSZG are reissued with the errors fixed. I'm quite angry at Bandai, or more over, The Ocean Group which was more responsible for the mess than BanDai themselves were. ZRO would have never let this happen, but then ZRO was a unionized company.

The Ocean Group just does voice acting. That's it. I don't know why you've got such a beef against them. Frankly you need to step back, recognize first of all that this isn't such a big deal and second of all that you didn't get screwed as badly as you'd like to believe, take a deep breath, and let it go. The DVD set is actually pretty well done, the major problem with the music being far beyond Bandai's control. Many of the problems you complain about are quite simply wrong or shouldn't matter to you anyway (honestly, why are you so committed to how Bandai releases the show when you yourself already managed to get ahold of it?). You're so unbelievably spoiled.

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot to get this little gem.

Quote:
So we should just except a mangled series?

What part of the series was mangled?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:20 am Reply with quote
JinchuuGundam85 wrote:
So we should just except a mangled series? I wonder how you would react Nagisa if this happened to SEED?

Just the same as I'm acting now. I have all the themes in MP3 format (hell, I even have about two remixes apiece from all the singles and whatnot), as well as videos of the openings from the shows. And dubtitles from a dub that remained completely faithful to the original story don't phase me in the least (they'd still be lightyears better than bootleggers' subs or most fansub translations...especially A-J, which is the group I had the misfortune of seeing most of SEED through...).

It's like zaphdash said, Zeta's hardly been "mangled." Song changes were made due to reasons out of Bandai's hands and the rush to get the boxes out before fanboys beat down their doors Night of the Living Dead style resulted in a few isolated defective discs. By my understanding, it's still a quality release.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
JinchuuGundam85

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I guess "mangled" was a bit much. There are issues with Zeta, but, they don't really make it to difficult to watch it.The main issue is that Bandai did not give us a heads up about what was happening with Zeta. They set up us the bomb. I would like to know where exactly people are getting information on what happened and saying it is fact? As I see it there is no offical word until Bandai says anything.
JinchuuGundam85

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Can anybody tell me if a person creates a song do they have complete ownership of all it's forms (remixs and instrumental)? Reason for asking is because in Zeta there is an instrumental version of the second intro song Mizu no Hoshi e Ai wo Komete.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:12 pm Reply with quote
JinchuuGundam85 wrote:
The main issue is that Bandai did not give us a heads up about what was happening with Zeta.

Now that pissed me off, I agree. While Bandai may have had legitimate reasons to make the changes they did, there was really no plausible excuse to not tell the consumers about it. Hell, I think a good majority of the people who are upset now would've been much more understanding had Bandai actually done so.

JinchuuGundam85 wrote:
I would like to know where exactly people are getting information on what happened and saying it is fact?

I think it's news sources and individual customers calling the company up and asking individually. Or at least that's what I've been told, anyway.
zaphdash

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:12 pm Reply with quote
JinchuuGundam85 wrote:
Can anybody tell me if a person creates a song do they have complete ownership of all it's forms (remixs and instrumental)? Reason for asking is because in Zeta there is an instrumental version of the second intro song Mizu no Hoshi e Ai wo Komete.

Is that version used on the American DVDs? I haven't finished watching the DVDs yet. If it's on there, it really confuses the whole issue, and to be honest, I don't know what to tell you about it.

Quote:
I would like to know where exactly people are getting information on what happened and saying it is fact? As I see it there is no offical word until Bandai says anything.

Sunrise said something twenty years ago. Watch Zeta's original opening credits. When it gets to the song information, you'll see (although if you can't read any Japanese, you won't know what you're seeing, and you'll just have to take my word for it) that Neil Sedaka is credited for the songs.

Here's the full story, once and for all. It was posted to the GML by -Z-, who is highly knowledgable about a whole mess of different things. Where did he learn it? I have no idea. But his information is very reliable, and if he were wrong about this it'd be the first time I've known him to make such a mistake. You'll see that it basically confirms the assumptions I had made earlier in this thread:

Quote:
-Z- <[email protected]> to list
On Tuesday, December 14, 2004 07:46, Vince Averello wrote:

> Rights issues. too many layers of people to go through
> (including Neil Sedaka here in the US, who appears to have
> written/composed the themes). Bandai/Sunrise either couldn't
> get approval or it cost too much for a limited release

In 1978, Dara released a 45 rpm single "My Guy" c/w "Beautiful You" produced by
David Foster and Neil Sedaka on RSO Records. Dara recorded "Should've Never Let
You Go'" with her father in 1980, which reached #19 on the pop chart. In 1982,
Dara released her first solo album entitled "I'm Your Girl Friend" only for
Japan. This album included "Angel Queen", the ED theme to the Leiji Matsumoto's
Queen of 1,000 Years AKA Millennium Queen anime feature film, otherwise scored
by the legendary New Age musician Kitaro. (A Japanese cover was also done by
Moko Nanri.) The English lyrics were written by her father, Neil Sedaka, who
was clearly intent on passing the torch, career-wise.

"I'm Your Girl Friend" featured a Who's Who of musical artists:

Drums: Mike Baird
Bass: Dennis Belfield
Guitar: Michael Landau, Steve Lukather
Keyboards: David Foster
Synthesizer: Steve Porcaro, Kitaro
Horns: Jerry Hey, Gary Grant
Sax: Gary Herbig
Backing Vocals: Pages (Richard Page & Steve George), Clif Newton, Bryan Adams

Originally released on LP only by Canyon Record, the album was reissued on CD by
West Wood Records, Japan (SDCF-1010) on 18 August 2004.

Dara Sedaka cut a wide swathe through the Japanese ad market thereafter,
bringing with her not only acclaim for her Japanese debut single and album but
also the not inconsiderable name recognition of her father, who continued to pen
most of her songs. Originally, Dara Sedaka was to have sung the Neil Sedaka
compositions that became the Z Gundam OP/ED but the Powers That Be balked at
such a package deal.

A compromise was reached whereby other artists, specifically Maya Akuyama and
Hiroko Moriguchi, would do the vocals but that the music would be restricted to
the Japanese market, allowing the Sedakas to produce it in North America, if
they so chose.

Therein lies the rub. The Japanese own the lyrics, the arrangement and the
vocals, but not the actual composition, and the Japanese rights only extend to
the Asian market.

-Z-

--------------------------------------------------
The Gundam Mailing List MK-II [email protected]

Archives: http://www.gundam.com/gml
Help: Email [email protected] with this in
the BODY: help list
JinchuuGundam85

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:50 pm Reply with quote
I am talking about the American release. The instrumental version of Mizu no Hoshi e Ai wo Komete is played a couple of times in the show the best and saddest use of it was at the end of series.
TetsuoShima9

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of defects, has anyone had problems with the 2nd Dvd of the Gundam Seed boxed set?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:13 am Reply with quote
TetsuoShima9 wrote:
Speaking of defects, has anyone had problems with the 2nd Dvd of the Gundam Seed boxed set?
Please ask in the Retail Forum, not on a thread about a different item that's been inactive for over three years.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4