• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-03-27]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anymouse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
bad guys are bad for no reason
I have never really noticed this. It seems that in most of the series I watch, it's the opposite. The villains usually have some kind of grand justification for what they do.
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Any truth to the rumour that ANN will soon be offering, "Just Say Noe to Moe" keychains to new subscribers? Very Happy

I don't get why ANN reviewers hate moe so much. What did that genre ever do to them? It's like there's a law among their reviewers that, unless it's one of KyoAni's shows, if it's moe, it has to be given a bad review. Ditto anything with fanservice--it's as if there's a law requiring them to bash anything ecchi, too.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Rolando_jose wrote:
In Spain we get the movies every year and the DVDs of those movies get translated in spanish, catalonian, basque, galician and don't remember what else. Doraemon is pretty big here, not as much as in Japan thou.
I have all the tomes they released in spanish.

Well, there are probably a few factors as to why they are there. When did Doraemon start being released there? Another thing I should point out, though I'm not trying to argue or anything here, is that Spain geographically is smaller than the US, which probably makes it easier for marketing techniques for the series. Seeing the United States as large as it is, I don't see how they can try and release Doraemon over here and have a successful turnaround right away.

The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:
I don't get why ANN reviewers hate moe so much. What did that genre ever do to them? It's like there's a law among their reviewers that, unless it's one of KyoAni's shows, if it's moe, it has to be given a bad review. Ditto anything with fanservice--it's as if there's a law requiring them to bash anything ecchi, too.

I believe it has to do with who the reviewers are and their preferences. So, if they did get a reviewer who likes moe, then you probably wouldn't see it getting bashed all the time. They are also looking at the total aspect of the anime, which includes quality, animation, voice acting, storyline, etc etc. Not just the fanservice and pantyshots. If it's just that and there is no redeemable quality to the anime, then of course they're going to hate on it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I don't get why ANN reviewers hate moe so much. What did that genre ever do to them?

I think it is something to do with the way ANN recruits its reviewers. Apparently, two of the questions they ask are, "Do you have a stony, dark heart? Do you enjoy kicking cute little puppies?" Word is if you don't answer "Yes" to both, then no reviewing allowed for you.

'Course that could just be baseless scuttle-butt...
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:05 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
ANN's mad editorial crusade against moe is quite off-putting.

On the contrary, I find it quite on-putting. Keep up the good fight, lads (and lasses)!
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Any truth to the rumour that ANN will soon be offering, "Just Say Noe to Moe" keychains to new subscribers? Very Happy

Bamboo (who does shelf-life) loves Clannad, Kanon, and all those moe shows. One of the male reviewers (either Carlos or Theron, I believe) has been known to reference fanservice positively. You're making some sweeping generalizations here.

... but if you are selling those keychains, sign me up! Moe is overused and annoying at this point.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:54 pm Reply with quote
@Brian: I didn't expect you would like Toradora much more on the second try if it didn't grab your interest in the first place. But that's okay since that's not what most of us wanted from you. We just wanted you to acknowledge that it wasn't the Love Hina-esque fanservice romp you made it out to be last week. And you did just that, so I (and most other fans of the series, I think) appreciate that.

Blood- wrote:

I recall every volume of Strawberry Marshmallow and Kamichu getting good reviews, and those are very much "moe" titles.

I just wish moe would stop getting treated like this one universal genre, like its all the same thing. Not everyone does it, but its still done way too much. It's like saying all action series are more or less the same when that's simply not true.

I also have issues with how moe fans tend to react to this stuff, but I'll save it for a more relevant thread.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:20 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
ANN's mad editorial crusade against moe is quite off-putting.

No, I support it 1000%, I rather see that appreciation given to the One True Moe!!!!

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
4nBlue

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Bryan (with a “y,” people) wrote:
Tsundre blah blah blah

I fail to see how being violent or lower middle class is connected to being a tsundere. A tsundere is a person (note: a man can be a tsundere as many shoujo fans are likely aware) who:

a) ("classic" tsundere) doesn't like the protagonist from the start, but will fall in love with him/her during the story. Proceeds from tsun to dere during the story.

b) ("modern" tsundere) can't be honest to her/his feeling. Constantly changes between tsun and dere in order to look "cute"/irritate people who want to see character development.

I really like the classic tsundere, because the story usually has to include the main character doing something to get the girl fall in love with him. Best example of this in my opinion is the "tsundere bible" Tsyokiss (the game, not the horrible anime which really needs a remake) where none of the girls think protagonist to be anything special at the start of the game.

Ff Gearg wrote:
“Moe.”

Do the people who say that they hate moe even know what it means, because I don't know anymore. First time I heard it, it meant a feeling of wanting to protect a little sister-type of character, but now it seems to mean "this show has girls". The word has lost its meaning when adult looking bishounen are considered to be moe: animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-03-02/tokyo-chuo-train-line-made-into-moe-boy-characters
yruahippo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:51 pm Reply with quote
On a slightly unrelated topic, Hey Answerfans: I had to get this of my chest (no pun intended) because it just made me cringe. >.<

Quote:
Breasts Are Ubiquitous, Large, And Open For Business - Ai Yori Aoshi is a great example. Another harem classic, it doesn't just feature many large, available mammaries, but one of the female characters (who herself is well-endowed) actually greets the others by groping their chests, and nobody rebuffs her for how totally invasive and inappropriate it is. 'Nuff said.

No, it's not 'nuff said'. My class frequently grope each other, often as greetings, and no-one bats an eyelid. I can't count the number of times I've walked into the classroom and had someone running-glomp me and pull me into an tight hug complete with groping and occasionally falling on each other. Sure, I go to an all-girls-school but friends from neighbouring schools, both single sex and co-ed, act the same way with their classes. Was your generation like this at my age is or this a new thing? Are people my age more sex aware/open then previous generations? Is this normal for people my age everywhere or is it just londoners? ^^;

Btw, I'm 16, female and not a lesbian (don't have a problem with it just don't wanna give the wrong impression).
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:12 pm Reply with quote
yruahippo wrote:
On a slightly unrelated topic, Hey Answerfans: I had to get this of my chest (no pun intended) because it just made me cringe. >.<

Quote:
Breasts Are Ubiquitous, Large, And Open For Business - Ai Yori Aoshi is a great example. Another harem classic, it doesn't just feature many large, available mammaries, but one of the female characters (who herself is well-endowed) actually greets the others by groping their chests, and nobody rebuffs her for how totally invasive and inappropriate it is. 'Nuff said.

No, it's not 'nuff said'. My class frequently grope each other, often as greetings, and no-one bats an eyelid. I can't count the number of times I've walked into the classroom and had someone running-glomp me and pull me into an tight hug complete with groping and occasionally falling on each other. Sure, I go to an all-girls-school but friends from neighbouring schools, both single sex and co-ed, act the same way with their classes. Was your generation like this at my age is or this a new thing? Are people my age more sex aware/open then previous generations? Is this normal for people my age everywhere or is it just londoners? ^^;

Btw, I'm 16, female and not a lesbian (don't have a problem with it just don't wanna give the wrong impression).
Where I come from, that's grounds for a sexual harassment charge. Confused Shocked
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:12 pm Reply with quote
yruahippo wrote:
Are people my age more sex aware/open then previous generations? Is this normal for people my age everywhere or is it just londoners? ^^;

I'm in SE London myself. If I tried to hug and grope people, my chances of survival would be slim.

One of the many reasons I like Kyoani's Key adaptations is the lack of fanservice (reportedly) present in Ai Yori Aoshi and similar works. There are admittedly other elements in the shows which result in them receiving numerous detractors, but the clothes stay on and the breasts remain ungroped.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yruahippo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Ahaha, prolly shouldn't have grouped all the Londoners together. Sorry. ^^; I too live in SE London though. Smile

And it's not so much random people as friends - I wouldn't try and grope strangers. It's just that all my class seem to be fine with it so I was wondering if other people are like this with their circles of friends?
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The highschool 'femme fatal' (although only her unshakable stupidity kills me) cannot come to grips that it is a bad idea to beat the man who risked his life to save you in the middle of a gunfight (the clash there being that her character is human and any human would be grateful).

Sorry, but this false generalization bugged me...
Ever hear of the Good Samaritan Law?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Samaritan_Act
You know why it exists? Because a civilian saved the life of an older fella with CPR, caused a rib or two to break, and that ungrateful goon sued his savior for the broken rib(s). He sued the man who saved his life.
Just thought I'd throw that out there, toodles...
konkonsn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:41 pm Reply with quote
yruahippo wrote:

What do you mean by grope? I hug my friends all the time, and occassionally someone pounces when they're feeling playful, but nobody I know goes out of their way to grab boobs or butts while hugging.

I live in Midwest America, btw.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7