• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mandalay Pictures Licenses Full Metal Panic! Film Rights

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Egret

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:10 am Reply with quote
OutLawSuit wrote:
Scamp wrote:
To top it all off, isn't Sagara from Afganistan

Sagara is Japanese. If I recall, the plane he and his parents were on crashed /was shot down in Afghanistan. He was then found and raised there from a young age, that's the reason he's totally unfamiliar with Japanese culture.

I was pretty sure that his nationality was Japanese, his upbringing was in Afghanistan (primarily; he was in a Russian child-assassin program until he was like eight), but that his actual heritage was unknown. He passes as Middle Eastern and Caucasian without comment a couple times during the series. He's just apparently supposed to blend in wherever he goes.
Beryl7

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:12 am Reply with quote
I saw the name Zac Efron...and I'm debating whether I should laugh hysterically at him or weep for all anime fans...
Speculation or not, it's scary as hell.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:27 am Reply with quote
at first I thought it was going to be a live action movie produced in Japan, then I saw the name Zac Effron and I was shocked, but then I started to think about it. I was never much of a fan of FMP to begin with (never got past episode 8), secondly like someone metioned before Effron will be a good draw for the teen and tween crowd which since the setting is high school that would be the crowd they'd be going for. So after thinking about it, it really doesn't bother me much anymore. That being said, I hope you guys don't throw stones at me for saying this, but I'm thinking name changes for the characters might be suitable. I know many of you are going to scream blasphemy, but it is a little jarring for an all American cast to have Japanese names don't you think? Imagine Zac Effron introducing himself to the class as Sousuke Sagara and all the fan girls in the audience going "huh?" The names aren't really that integral to the story anyway, the story is the only integral part.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:31 am Reply with quote
I've watched all three seasons of Full Metal Panic and really enjoyed the series. There is NO way that Zac Effron could ever pull off a decent Sousuke Sagara. Only and I really empathsize only will Chris Patton will ever do a excellent Sousuke Sagara. Just like no one could be a well done Chidori except for Luci Christian.

Shoji Gatoh worked very hard to make Full Metal Panic as exciting and interesting as it was. I don't want to see the series tranished like that. I am sure Zac Effron would do well in a average American made comedy, but I can't imagine him acting a Sousuke Sagara well.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:41 am Reply with quote
I think it's a good fit. I personally hate FMP for alot of reasons, but when I watched it the main character did kinda feel like a bad actor and the tone of the show overall is really goofy and silly.

I think a teen pop person could easily pull it off.
khryoleoz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:11 am Reply with quote
With Zac Effron being casted to play the leading role, I'm assuming the adaptation will change the character's origins, if not including the setting. The character's name probably isn't even going to be Sousuke Sagara. I think the idea is fine to the extent the Mithril and Amalgam groups are composed of people from a diverse background. It just doesn't look like the high school stuff is gonna take place in Japan, which is a shame. It'd be great if they can keep Kaname Chidori Japanese though.

Zac's cool. But for some reason, I would feel like at any time, the Sousuke Sagara character he's going to play will bust into song and dance any time to the A-Team derivative theme.
Jarmel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:12 am Reply with quote
LOL Zak Effron as a military officer? This is going to be a barrel of laughs. Although some people made a decent point about making it in the US instead of Japan(however again due to Columbine, it might be a no go). The only good that could possibly come out of this is that we might get a third season due to revived interest. It also means Kadokawa hasn't completely forgotten about us.
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:34 am Reply with quote
wow the April fools is kinda late this year.

oh wait... this is real? Confused
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:03 am Reply with quote
Axe-336 wrote:
I think y'all are reacting against this a little too harshly just because Zac Efron's name is attatched.

Because we totally have a good history of live action anime adaptations to--oh, wait.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:04 am Reply with quote
they probably think "high school" setting="omg zac is required"

such fail..such heavy fail.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:09 am Reply with quote
Full Metal Panic might fare better than other recent attempts in the transition to screen due to its tone and format... But I still can't say I'm sold on Zac Efron as Sousuke. Guess it's too early to tell, anyway.
OnanRulz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:10 am Reply with quote
As funny as the mass outcry of this is, I can only imagine what would have happened if the article read
Quote:
Zac Efron to Star in Live-Action Fullmetal Alchemist.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:12 am Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
Axe-336 wrote:
I think y'all are reacting against this a little too harshly just because Zac Efron's name is attatched.

Because we totally have a good history of live action anime adaptations to--oh, wait.

That's not really fair. The forray into live action anime movies made by hollywood is fairly new. You'd be hard pressed to find a decent live action comic book movie when hollywood first began to pioneer that route, and here we are over 20 years latter from their first crack at it and they're just now starting to get that right. I guess my point is with every bad live action movie that comes out there's more of a chance that someone will eventually come around and do it right (and with the amount of crappy anime live adaptation movies coming out they've got plenty of templates to learn what not to do from).
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:15 am Reply with quote
This is true. Still, that doesn't mean I'm remotely about to get my hopes up. Go put Zac in Death Note. He could even get a maniacal villain song. ;D *promptly shot by hordes of fans*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
OnanRulz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:18 am Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
This is true. Still, that doesn't mean I'm remotely about to get my hopes up. Go put Zac in Death Note. He could even get a maniacal villain song. ;D *promptly shot by hordes of fans*

I think Death Note: The Musical would be great. It's over-the-top melodramatic as it is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10