• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Vandread By the River

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:48 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Yeah. Why is it there's a lesbian Catholic schoolgirl fetish, but no gay Catholic schoolboy one?

Dunno. Not enough demand?

Brians9824 wrote:
Vandread is definitely shelfworthy and if anyone is looking for it rightstuf has a few boxsets left for $30 -

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/1dwMT1Mi7pHEpLzGfa/browse/item/68731/4/0/0

Absolute steal at that price.

Nice. I remember buying it four years ago, when it was still $180. Nice to reopen old wounds Razz

Last edited by Big Hed on Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:21 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
I'll second the Kiba thoughts, though. Just glancing at the show made me cringe, and I couldn't bear to watch even a full episode of it.

Well i dont think like that.It's review was kinda harsh.I liked the series while it showed on toonami jetstream.Sure there's the obivious flaws,the music was medicore at best and they didn't do an effort on the casting but it's really enjoyable to watch and the storyline is basic kids-based action adventure.Also the OP was really good to hear, (Due to Nana Mizuki's performance),and the animations was preety decent,as expected from the same Studio that brought in Black Lagoon.

people will have to like the edited Dub versions of Zatch Bell, Blue Dragon,MAR & Naruto(which also showed on Toonami Jetstream ) to enjoy this series.

In my view it's recomended IF you have a little kid brother at home or enjoyed the mentioned series above.For everyone else,it's a rental, UNLESS another company does a license rescue & does a remake a.k.a ADV's Ghost Stories and Funi's Crayon Shin Chan.

Also i've seen Vandread on Encore Wam's block channel and it's as fun as watching the tenchi muyo series.And the double movies are a must have cause for one reason: it's DBZ UNCUT and in it's original version which fans have been begging for after seeing the edits on CN's Toonami.

so for my viewpoint:

Shelf Worthy: Vandread Complete Series and DBZ Fusion Reborn & Wrath Of The Dragon Double Feature.

Rental Shelf: Kiba Complete Series
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
pparker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I'll add my recommendation for Vandread. Quite entertaining, nothing deep, but treated the male vs. female situation pretty realistically while delivering decent action and humor. As to human reproduction, I agree that since we are close to perfecting ex-vitro methods with our primitive sciences, they would have no issues that far into the future. As to the pairing factor, I suppose the basic sexual pleasure drive would result in a higher percentage of homosexual relationships, because there is no other option and there is no stigma attached (quite the opposite, I imagine). Animation-wise, you just have to ignore the cheesy CG of that era, and it's definitely shelf-worthy--on mine anyway.

Nice to hear someone mention Saber Marionette as well, as it seems generally ignored (though highlighted in the recent English version of the book, "Otaku: Japan's Database Animals"). Just finished marathoning it again after three years. It was one of my first anime series purchases purely by happening onto the signed ultimate edition on sale locally. Now there, despite the wild swings in quality in season one ("J"), was arguably the best final two episodes in all of anime and overall a very entertaining series.

And kudos to picking up streaming anime. I'm glad Bamboo's doing it, this being my favorite column on ANN. Ristorante Paradiso is one of my favorites this season.

Oh, and this is late, but thanks so much for recently mentioning that the new Pani Poni Dash thinpak set does NOT include the ADV video notes from the original DVDs. Having put off watching it, I immediately ordered the original ADV set from Rightstuf's bargain bin, and I cannot imagine watching that show without the references. Without them, or unless someone is a very old and/or well-schooled veteran of anime, about 70% of the meaning in the show is lost. That's a case where Funi should have just passed on the license without the notes.
Brians9824

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I actually snagged the LE signed Saber Marionette J collection too. Was a really enjoyable show as well. So many older classics that people miss out on like Maze which I recently re-watched again.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Sea Lion wrote:

Regarding Rex's "nerd cave," I've got three things: 1. WTF is he watching, Jon and Kate Plus 8? At least throw some kind of anime DVD on the tube before snapping the picture for ANN.

It *was* Jon and Kate Plus 8, wasn't it?? I thought it was when I looked at it, but thought, "No.... nobody would actually watch this..."
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:51 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Sea Lion wrote:

Regarding Rex's "nerd cave," I've got three things: 1. WTF is he watching, Jon and Kate Plus 8? At least throw some kind of anime DVD on the tube before snapping the picture for ANN.

It *was* Jon and Kate Plus 8, wasn't it?? I thought it was when I looked at it, but thought, "No.... nobody would actually watch this..."

This might be off topic but, John (the husband) is in the front cover of People magazine this week. To the left of picture states "Enough is enough" apparently John is speaking out against the rumors that he had a affair and there is a entire article about it.

But it looks like there is a show worse than Kaiba. That show is John and Kate Plus 8.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:08 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Given the mostly female cast in Vandread, it's telling that only one actual lesbian couple was established. Kind of like Marimite.

??? Only 4 established couples are shown... One is external to the crew [The Melanus couple who help Hibiki - Can't remeber their names]
The rest are fem/fem
Ezra/Rebecca
Meia's Parents
Jura/Barnette

Of those Jura also seems at least passingly interested in Hibiki, but is firmly establshed as Barnette's partner.
There are other blooming sort of relationships, but not established like those...

and... Since I was trying to decide what to watch last night? I started in on the series again, anyone else?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:55 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
SongstressCela wrote:
Quote:
Curious, because one would wonder why, in a society of women, some of them would choose to wear such ridiculous outfits

Because, shockingly enough, it's pretty damn likely that it's a lesbian society--heaven forbid they look attractive (okay, I don't care for the get ups, but whatever) to each other.

I don't agree with this, actually. Just because it's an all-female society does not presume that they are all lesbians, nor does it presume that there is a higher percentage of lesbians than the current Earth population. Even if the women are more likely to form partnerships, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's sexual, either.

Notably, the all-male population in the series is not a gay society either.

While there was actually a life partner yuri type element to the female society, no present in the male, if I remember correctly the main purpose of that in the female society was to provide children with 2 parents. As close to a real normal set of parents as possible. Plus the children were all test tube babies and for lack of better word "grown" if I also remember correctly. Without any males or females they would kind of have to be for each society. Been a while since I've seen the show so I might be a little off.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:10 pm Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:
and... Since I was trying to decide what to watch last night? I started in on the series again, anyone else?

I kinda wanted to see it again, but I'm separated from my Vandread box by several thousand kilometers. What can ya do.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:14 pm Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:
Given the mostly female cast in Vandread, it's telling that only one actual lesbian couple was established. Kind of like Marimite.

??? Only 4 established couples are shown... One is external to the crew [The Melanus couple who help Hibiki - Can't remeber their names]
The rest are fem/fem
Ezra/Rebecca
Meia's Parents
Jura/Barnette

Of those Jura also seems at least passingly interested in Hibiki, but is firmly establshed as Barnette's partner.
There are other blooming sort of relationships, but not established like those...

I was going to bring this up, but you beat me to it. Also, Jura's interest in Hibiki isn't so much romantic as it is her being obsessed with having a baby via sexual reproduction.

To be fair, though, by the end of the series you can make a solid case for Hibiki/Dita and Duelo/Parfait. spoiler[We'll ignore Bart/B.C. because that's a little complicated, and one-sided.]
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Hearing all this talk on Vandread makes me want to go back and watch it again even though I just watched it a couple of months ago and I already have a large backlog building up. Maybe after I get my backlog out of the way I'll watch it again...who knows? It is the biggest art box I own so it's not like it just blends in with the rest of my collection.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:38 pm Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:

The rest are fem/fem
Ezra/Rebecca
Meia's Parents
Jura/Barnette

My bad. Been a while since i watched the show, so Jura/Barnette is the only f/f couple I remembered.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

But it looks like there is a show worse than Kaiba. That show is John and Kate Plus 8.
A bit off topic, but why the Kaiba hate?
Brians9824

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:21 am Reply with quote
Believe Male/Male couples are established too. If I remember correctly in the beginning at the party one of the male soldiers tells another he wants to have a baby with him. Been a year or so since i last watched it so someone who is re-watching confirm it?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:53 am Reply with quote
Just the very concept of a planet with just females, fighting against another planet of just males of the same species makes me too dizzy to even contemplate, let alone watch. Okay I can accept that the females have invented a way of reproducing without males, but just what invention could males reproduce with. Seeing as all mammals are female at gestation until the 10th week when the sex gene is asked the question; male, or female, from then on, what do they do with the different genders that would inevitably be born? Don't bother. I'll accept none of it. Rolling Eyes
BTW, any relationship with a 20 something female with a man my age has to be nothing, but paternal, else it would make my skin crawl.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6