• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Casshern Sins, Eden of the East

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
calimike

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Funi got Eden but what about first movie in past and second new movie for Jan 2010?
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:58 pm Reply with quote
It should always be expected if the Japanese use a song by a well known musical group/artist that it will be replaced unless otherwise said so. The problem here isn't Funimation not trying hard enough but the way the laws work for music usage in the United States. Lots of people have to sign off on music if it's used and unless some fees are waved the price to use songs can cost way more than the actual license fee is for the show. The likelihood of the songs making it over are very low unless someone either worked this out before hand (i.e. when the show was being put together originally for Japanese viewing) or someone major involved with the music says yes (like the band but only if the band has enough clout to help cut the red tape down). That said, some bands and/or their record companies feel it's "cool" to be on TV in Japan but beneath them to be on TV in the U.S., so that attitude needs to be kept in mind.

Now, in the case of Speed Grapher and Beck's Japanese track, the replacement music was produced in Japan for international release and Production IG may do the same thing for this show. There is also the option, I think, of using a cover artist but I've yet to see a anime that's gone that route with a song that's well known (particularly if the song was originally from a English language artist).

Anyway, how big a company is doesn't always mean they can get a song for a show either. Several episodes of the new Doctor Who have had to have music replaced for DVD and international release as well and the BBC/BBC Worldwide isn't generally anyone's idea of a "small company." Now, some of the songs replaced may have been because they didn't want to pay to use them internationally but that's Funimations issue as well. I'm sorry to those who think they can't buy this series without its original OP but I'd rather have a dub and a chance on TV verse a OP that would be both expensive and most likely cut, or sped up, if it aired on TV.

I'm glad someone picked up this show for R1 but realistically I knew from the moment I heard they used Oasis as the band for the OP the OP had less than a 1% chance of being used on the international releases (unless Production IG actually thought ahead and made arrangements and I wouldn't rule it out). I could get a pleasant shock and it might show up but history of TV shows in general says its unlikely.

As to how Geneon pulled it off with Paradise Kiss and Ergo Proxy, I haven't a clue but then again Geneon no longer exists as more than licensing name these days so think about that, FWIW (it could really have been part of what sunk them, paying for those songs, for all we know) . Confused
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:12 pm Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:
As to how Geneon pulled it off with Paradise Kiss and Ergo Proxy, I haven't a clue but then again Geneon no longer exists as more than licensing name these days so think about that, FWIW (it could really have been part of what sunk them, paying for those songs, for all we know) . Confused

I seriously doubt that. Geneon had gobs of problems, it was no one thing that killed it. Frankly, I'd never even heard of Oasis before this series appeared, now I'm listening to their stuff and will buy their albums. Paradise Kiss using "Do You Want To" did the same thing for Franz Ferdinand. It isn't terrible advertising to let somebody use your music for a reasonable price.
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Why the hell is there always so much damn nitpicking for these license announcements? I'm just happy for the license for chrissakes.

Everybody and their uncle chimed in on the Basara license saying they'd rather have Eden, and now we get Eden and people are losing their heads over trivial, unconfirmed news. It shouldn't preclude you from buying the series if you wanted it over here that badly in the first place. And hey, it's going to have a dub! Why aren't you praising jeebus for that? You certainly got mad enough to post a million replies to the Kannagi license because it didn't have a dub. So where's the praise? (And, yes, I am a dub fan, but licensing comes first!)

So anyways, this is a purchase from me. I'll have to check out Sins, too. That looks good.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, two shows I absolutely wanted released over here. Just awesome.

I kinda hope someone (Media Blasters maybe?) picks up the original Casshern series for a cheapy release. And maybe have ADV rerelease the Robot Hunter OVA (slap it in one of those 20 dollar two packs)

Just for completeness sake. But I'm rather sure Casshern doesn't quite have the profile for something like that.

Last edited by Mr Adventure on Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:48 pm Reply with quote
JairStout wrote:
Everybody and their uncle chimed in on the Basara license saying they'd rather have Eden, and now we get Eden and people are losing their heads over trivial, unconfirmed news. It shouldn't preclude you from buying the series if you wanted it over here that badly in the first place.

Okay, this is the last thing I'm gonna say... I don't think the lack of OP would make me not buy Funimation's release, but I'd be terribly disappointed if they did, even angry. My voice of concern here is just to let them know that it should be a priority, that they shouldn't brush it off just because we'll buy it anyway. Hell, I personally don't care about the dub, I'd rather that they get the right song. Because when we wanted Eden of the East that badly, we wanted all of it, including the phenomenally amazing opening credits. Imagine Evangelion with a different song, or Cowboy Bebop. That's the level of good we're talking about here. Is it somehow ridiculous to want the complete package?

Anyway, glad that it's released, hope Funi gets things sorted out with Oasis so we can have the full deal. End of my comments on this thread.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
Offtopic: I would laugh may ass OFF if any of these won't have a dub.

On topic: why are all of you so worried about the OP? It happened ONE time.

Because the immediate response to any license announcement is to focus entirely on the one or two reasons why they won't buy the show.

Gotta justify those fan-subs you see. Smile

Sad
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Eden of the East AND Casshern Sins? Man alive! FUNimation just keeps racking them up!

If the two EotE movies do have some sort of continuation, hopefully they will pick them up too. Also hope they won't have any trouble with Oasis's opening theme, although I will be buying the series regardless.

Last edited by Jedi General on Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:24 pm Reply with quote
WOOOO, Eden of the East, and by Funi, too! Awesome! I do hope they keep the opening...=\

It's also a little disappointing these are their only two licenses, though, it makes me think Bandai is going to end up with Toradora... ~_~
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
A5J4DX

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:31 pm Reply with quote
good news about the dragon box sets but wtf man i already bought the remastered ones :@ might have to sell them :@
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:35 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Bob Loblaw wrote:
Like Char-Zard mentioned up-thread, Duran Duran's "Girls on Film" was only used in the Japanese broadcast of Speed Grapher; the Japanese fans didn't get the opening either on their DVDs.

Yeah, do you have a source on that? It's the first time I've ever heard about it, is all.

"Source"? Y'know what? Now that you bring it up, I don't. So, I did some quick googling to see what I could find, but couldn't find a direct news source or review about Speed Grapher's home video release in Japan; not in English, anyway.

However, after digging around on AoD/Mania's forums, I found a post here and there that said the song was included on the Japanese DVDs. It was a bit annoying that I couldn't dig up a direct quote from someone who OWNED the Japanese R2 (i.e. "Hey! I imported it and it's on there!"). Maybe my search-fu needs re-training. *shrug* Nevertheless, turns out I was misinformed and incorrect; mea culpa.

During the search, however, it was interesting to discover how long Gonzo had to jump through hoops for EMI to use the song just in Japan. Two years? Really? Damn.

If FUNi isn't able to net the Oasis song for Eden of the East, that won't deter me from buying their release. I committed myself to buying this series the MOMENT I learned that Kenji Kamiyama was directing it and his I.G team was producing it. As a fan of the Kamiyama's past work, this was an easy sale for me; don't need a trailer, an opening or a promo image to get me on board. Very Happy
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Funi rocks your socks once again. Thanks for the Eden of the East license. Very Happy
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I would like to thank Funi for the Dragonbox re-release of DBZ. I will be buying.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I must say, Casshern SINS comes as a huge surprises. Honestly, a really really big one. While it's an amazing and beautiful show, I'm just not sure that it'll reach the same audience that FUNi usually wants to.

Maybe they figure Tatsunoko Versus Capcom will come into play and help, but video game fans aren't necessarily anime fans, so that might be a bit of a stretch. I wonder if they'll pick up Robot Hunter Casshan as well, I'm sure it'd be cheap enough. But really, Casshern didn't have nearly the same viewership as Eden of the East, so I'm worried about a BluRay release, and the type of packaging they'd do.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
phoenixphire24

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Yeah Eden of the East. I do hope they manage to get the 2 movies as well. It would be a shame to have the series and not the accompanying movies (provided they're good). Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10