• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Body Identified as Crayon Shin-chan's Yoshito Usui

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:45 pm Reply with quote
F**k this sucks. Now I know how the fans of Itazura Na Kiss must have felt like when that manga-ka died! And I was so hoping it might be another guy, but how many dead people would they spot in a place like that? Damn it, why the hell did he have to do something so reckless? Couldn't he just settle for a smaller climb? Why does someone who gave me that kind of joy have to bite it, while a prick like Anno can continue to rip off stupid fans who don't know shit about good writing?

hyper: There's a ton of books already. That's not a big deal. I just hope they'll at least still try to make movies the way they did after the Doraemon co-creator passed away.

Shadowrun: Yes, he was fool-hardy, but when it came to gag manga, he was a genius. You don't seem to get what a loss this is for the medium. And the guy had no reason to commit suicide, since he was set for life. Unless he's one of those guys who feels uncomfortable with that kind of success, and I doubt it. He had 20 years to change his mind.

Spoofer: Well, I've been in a similar situation where I saw things from that perspective, and I guess I didn't realize it until now. But stupid mistake or not, he was someone people loved. Sort of like how Heath Ledger probably became a junkie near the end, but he still meant something to so many fans.

Mohawk: Those movies alone probably kept the guy rolling in dough.

Anyway, can ANN ask FUNi to honor the guy, since they did a shitty job mentioning the last Lupin movie Yasuo Yamada worked on?
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:21 pm Reply with quote
First, I want to express my condolences to his family and friends. When this story broke I didn't even know he was married, so does anyone know if he had any children? I feel bad for everyone, including the fans, for this loss.

As for why someone would wander off a hiking trail - well it happens and there usually isn't any big conspiracy or issues (like suicide) involved. Case in point, when I was a kid I about went off the side of a canyon on accident on a family trip (Black Canyon of the Gunnison, to be exact). I saw a trail off the one I had been on and followed it (I thought it was a short cut) and the trail went over the cliff! (not sure if it was a animal trail or a trail for mountain climbers or what) Shocked . I managed to get myself stopped and turned around but I'm sure this sort of thing happens to other people and not just to kids, either.

Then again, maybe he got chased by some wildlife? I ran into a article this week that said some people got injured by a Asian Black Bear in a Kyoto train depot this last week when it wandered into town. So Japan obviously has wild life that could challenge humans and possibly scare someone into making a wrong turn.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:33 pm Reply with quote
i guess we pretty much all knew this news was coming. that's too bad.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:58 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

That's a pretty impressive cliff.

Though I doubt anyone related will read this, my condolences also Sad.

Last edited by Sven Viking on Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
sherri-chan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Now now, I think people should stop the debate about whether or not people "deserved" to die from hiking... be it on trail or off trail. Please, give the respect to the dead and his family.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Spoofer wrote:
Unless I've misread something or you and Shadowrun20XX know something I don't, are you perhaps confusing his intent to "climb the mountain", as in "hike" up it on "climber's trails"

We all know hiking on a mountain and climbing has the same meaning, now don't just go dragging the same thing forever. I recommend you to check the dictionary once in a while.
bigheart711

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:27 pm Reply with quote
To me, this is the saddest death since Michael Jackson because I really liked his line of work. I hope Usui's next life is a good one. R.I.P., Usui Yosito. Crying or Very sad
Unknown Memory

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:05 pm Reply with quote
I send my condolences and prayers to the family. Sad Had a sinking feeling that there was going to be a point of no return since it's been more than a week. I'm not a fan of the series but I have a younger cousin, who loved reading it.

>__< R.I.P. Usui-san!
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Shin Chan was too pervy for me but it's always sad when someone dies. It's too bad. Lots of Manga and Anime creators/artists are passing away this year.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:11 pm Reply with quote
My thoughts and prayers are with his family. Crying or Very sad
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:51 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Shadowrun: Yes, he was fool-hardy, but when it came to gag manga, he was a genius. You don't seem to get what a loss this is for the medium. And the guy had no reason to commit suicide, since he was set for life. Unless he's one of those guys who feels uncomfortable with that kind of success, and I doubt it. He had 20 years to change his mind.

That's why it doesn't add up. There is something more to this story than "just an accident" It's disturbing. I still couldn't believe it when I read the article yesterday. Even right now. And Yes, I've known about Crayon Shin chan since the nineties, man. I understand and agree that it's a gigantic loss. But.

Quote:
According to Usui's family, Usui had said that he was "going hiking for a day in Gunma Prefecture," as he often did, on the morning of September 11.

Often did? So he's no amateur. The article also states that he's familiar with the Karuizawa town and the Gunma and Nagano prefecture. (And Why September 11?)

Quote:
Usui had already submitted his art for two more installments. Usui had met with his editors on September 7 and talked with them over the phone two days later, but nothing seemed out of the ordinary at the time. Authorities have determined on Sunday that Usui died from injuries sustained from a fall at Arafune mountain on the afternoon of September 11.

I can't feel sad if he turned in two more installments of Crayon Shin chan, set off for the Arafune mountains (alone), explored the area where there were no guard rails, and either,

A: slipped and fell (Which is odd because the article said he landed face down. Highly unlikely in a panicky situation. He is a mangaka not a master acrobat .)

or B: Committed suicide for reasons we won't hear until later. (Or never, depending on how much info the police want to reveal to the public)

He knew the risks and he had his reasons. I respect what he did with his "off" time. But I wouldn't insult Usui by calling the situation sad.

Last edited by Shadowrun20XX on Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:19 am; edited 2 times in total
toru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:04 am Reply with quote
FNN NEWS is streaming Futabasya's press conference.
http://www.fnn-news.com/news/headlines/articles/CONN00163317.html
http://www.fnn-news.com/news/headlines/articles/CONN00163310.html
According to Futabasya, the last photograph saved to Usui's digital camera photographed a bottom from the top of the precipice. They clarified the opinion that Usui would fall to from a cliff during photography by mistake.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:38 am Reply with quote
bigheart711 wrote:
To me, this is the saddest death since Michael Jackson

my dog dying was far more upsetting than that.

i tried to get into shin-chan but couldn't. oh well. i blame funi for releasing it with a dub only audio track.

rest in peace usui
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:52 am Reply with quote
toru wrote:
According to Futabasya, the last photograph saved to Usui's digital camera photographed a bottom from the top of the precipice. They clarified the opinion that Usui would fall to from a cliff during photography by mistake.

(Sigh)

Taiwan had a man posed for photo next to a cliff beyond the safety fence. Moments later he fell to the bottom. It happened on the same day -- September 11th -- Usui went missing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DranzerX13

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:24 am Reply with quote
i could imagine on the last episode of Shin-chan, at the end of the credits it should say "In loving memory of Yoshito Usui" That would be really great as he will be missed by many.

He should have been accompanied with someone before hiking in that place. Going hiking in places like that is not only dangerous, but you could lose your life if your not careful.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6