• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Haruhi Suzumiya Film's New Promo Video Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:43 am Reply with quote
I really don't see Haruhi as a "moe show". It's more of a snide take on the school ensemble program with a sci-fi twist. Yes, it has moe elements, but those aren't the point of the show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Luna Loving

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:34 am Reply with quote
west_tx_tapper wrote:
ninjapet wrote:
Looks good, maybe, but the music doesn't sound any good; more like something out of Winter Sonata.

I recognize that tune as an actual classical piece, but as to its name or composer I can't remember right now. I want to say Bach, but I can't be sure.

As to the trailer, I'm not sure if I'm ready for a Yuki which can show emotion.

The music to me seems to put across a loss of hope, which I guess is relevant.

Haruhi has moe elements because it has never really taken its sci-fo elements too seriously in my opinion.
Jackmace Ryo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:51 am Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:

As for the movie, looking forward to it after I lost the motivation the watch the 2009 airing (only watched "Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody" and never caught up; don't feel worse for it).

It's probably better that way. While still having high production values, Endless Eight is practically just one episode, and Sighs focuses too much in the abuse of Mikuru and I find lacking the first season's more witty writing. I sometimes wonder if Tanigawa Nagaru's forced to do more writing than his wit is capable of.

Anyway, still looking forward to this.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:43 am Reply with quote
giascle wrote:
egoist wrote:
giascle wrote:
I can't focus on the trailer due to my inability to play this song's bizarre meter.

There's something I can totally comply with. That trailer doesn't set a mood at all, actually, it ruins the trailer's potential.

Actually I was referring to the fact I can't play it on the piano, but that works too I guess. A beautiful song, but it doesn't work with much besides European art films.

I played it back when I was still taking lessons. It was fiendishly difficult but I don't remember the timing being an issue. In films it is always used to highlight "sad" moments - IIRC the first time I heard it was in Short Circuit 2.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:48 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
I played it back when I was still taking lessons. It was fiendishly difficult but I don't remember the timing being an issue. In films it is always used to highlight "sad" moments - IIRC the first time I heard it was in Short Circuit 2.

That was their first mistake by using this music. It was "suspense", not "sad". That's why the music fell flat, but that doesn't exactly mean the music was bad; it was a bad choice, really, to try and make the trailer look like something grand.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:44 pm Reply with quote
HOLY CRAP. WANT.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:02 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
Who is the woman who seems to wrench Kyon's arm in the trailor? I can't tell ... or even tell if that's what's happening. It looks like it may be Tsuruya or Ryoko ...

It's Tsuruya. It will make more sense in context, and I assume that there will be enough more footage in the movie so that you can tell what's actually going on.
UltimaLuminaire

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:15 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
That was their first mistake by using this music. It was "suspense", not "sad". That's why the music fell flat, but that doesn't exactly mean the music was bad; it was a bad choice, really, to try and make the trailer look like something grand.

On your comment about the song and its impact on the trailer:

I personally don't see this song choice as a mistake, nor do I believe it makes the trailer grand. Instead, it feels much more understated and personal to me. Perhaps if it wasn't so impressionist I would be more inclined to say it is grand. It's a very (seemingly) simple piano piece.
spoiler[Also, having gone through the novels, this song feels cathartic as to the emotions that race through Kyon when everything happens. He will change, and the process will be both painful and endearing for some. The sudden realization, the unsettled feelings, and the closing day. It's a little sad, and it's definitely calm, but what rings in the end is the restlessness that resembles Kyon's knowledge of what was, what is, and what should be.
To add to the feeling, this rendition of Eric Satie's Gymnopédie No.1 has a deeper and darker timbre, with a more profound reverb effect to give a surreal and lonely quality to the song. (I love this version a lot. Props to whoever played it for the recording.) Overall, a wonderful prelude to what I hope will be a good adaptation to the 4th novel.]

As an aside, and to no one in particular, there aren't many people out there who watch this series for Kyon. It's a little sad when I think about it. The story will be more about Kyon than about Nagato.

By the time you knew it was home, it was already too late to go back...
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:38 pm Reply with quote
UltimaLuminaire wrote:
As an aside, and to no one in particular, there aren't many people out there who watch this series for Kyon. It's a little sad when I think about it. The story will be more about Kyon than about Nagato.

By the time you knew it was home, it was already too late to go back...

Heh, I always watched for Kyon and in his order. I wouldn't abide the show at all if he wasn't there to make it work out. [POV character I guess, or like a friend or brother, or maybe even yourself]

by the time you knew it was home? you feel this more keenly as you get older... Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4