• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex America Sells Gurren Lagann Movie DVDs in July

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GARlockSpiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:40 am Reply with quote
Ugh, while i AM pissed, there's not much i can do about it in the meantime.

Question, though. If i preorder both on the same order, will they ship individually or am i gonna have to pay an extra $11.55 to get Gurren-hen and Lagann-hen here on release?
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:02 pm Reply with quote
On one hand I don't think it is a bad move for Aniplex to take out the middle man and it's nice that it comes with a lot of extras but I think it is a bad business move to only sell it through their own site. I understand not wanting to sell it in stores but why not Amazon & Rightstuf? Online distributors do not have the same issues of shelf space as places like "Best Buy". And you know this is only going to reach the hardcore fans that read anime sites to get this news. What about the casual fan? Gurren Lagann did air on Syfy so maybe there are some people who would be interested in these movies who are not the type of fans to check out anime websites. The sub only release will not appeal to mainstream fans either (although I am guessing that is not Aniplex's target).

As for myself I have not seen the movies and I do not buy things unseen. I love the TV series but I am not sure what the films offer that I would need them too. I hope these films will be available on Netflix at least.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:10 pm Reply with quote
kakitamike wrote:
I was excited to own the parallel works, but then I saw the 'no dub' for the movies and lost interest.

Ditto that, the dub is what got me to buy the series in the first place, and I bet all the Bandai cast will be sad about there being no dub because they had a lot of fun on it. I was totally going to buy this but wit the "no dub" thing, I say no, I don't want to read an entire movie. And I didn't watch the fansubs so I'm not obligated to buy this. Sorry Aniplex, I like your stuff but no dub = no buy for me.
edzieba

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:49 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
With the amount of artifacts and banding, it was pretty clear the R1 DVDs simply couldn't handle a show like GL and that it needed to be released on Blu-ray.
That's just garden variety incompetence on the part of the R1 licensor, not a problem with DVD as a format. There's little point releasing an upscaled BD when doing the DVD properly in the first place would work fine.

Then again, if a company consistently screws up DVD releases, they're liable to consistently screw up BD releases too. Funimation, I'm looking at you here.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:53 pm Reply with quote
ScrappedAeon wrote:
"we don't plan to make a dub version and release it later. "

Well F that.

Same here, if they are not gonna english dub them I will not watch them.
Ghstmtrx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Well this sucks. No dub, I mean come on, the dub for this show was great and since the show had one I was not even considering the movies not having one. And also, selling it only through Bandai's store. Come on, if you are going to sell ANIME exclusively anywhere it should be on rightstuf. In other words, if I had not check out ANN website, I might not would have even known it was out.

I just think this is a bad move for the Gurren Lagann Movies. Will I still buy them, yeah probably, but oh man, this sucks.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:23 pm Reply with quote
There is something wrong with their math. It says 30% off pre-orders on the left, and all of the other pre-orders are 30% off, but since when was $10 30% off $50 or $6 30% off $30? Even if this went by the "our price" it would still be more than $10 and $6. To me it seems like the reason why they're only selling through Bandai is because they're the only ones that would sell at their prices. If they aren't willing to even go along with their exclusive seller's pricing standards then what hope do places like TRSI have?

And as already mentioned, the shipping rates are a mess. $11.55 for a single box set of any kind (not just TTGL) is a lot. They do offer standard First Class shipping for small items, but the moment something bigger than a regular DVD case goes in the box the option is gone? If companies are going to only use USPS anyway then why not make use of their flat rate boxes? Too much work? And then you have to spend $100 to get free shipping...

I want to buy the movies since I've already seen them fansubbed, but I'm not going to be jerked around by the Bandai store and Aniplex to get them. Either make them available in more places so we can get some competitive prices or no sale.

And I would have been very happy to buy Parallel Works alone.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:59 pm Reply with quote
This is awesome news, at the same time not having a dub makes me very picky at what anime to buy. On the other hand these titles I would think are what Funimation or other companys don't want to license, so at least we can buy them.

At $11.55 shipping, only going to buy if its an epic anime.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:22 pm Reply with quote
This is probably a "no-sale" for me. I simply can't justify the cost plus shipping for two movies that are basically re-caps. I don't know what Aniplex is thinking, but their business model does not seem competitive to me.
leftbehindxp

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Ohhh now I need to go watch the series again!

Hmm this seems like a neat set up they got here. Rather get it somewhere else than the Bandai store but whatever. If they have given a soundtrack with the LE's I would be more willing to buy those. And I really don't know much about those Parallel Work's. I assume something to deal with parallel times? Check youtube and just found "clip shows" of the series.

Now I would be getting these but my "WhhhhhHHHHAT no Dubs?!? Evil or Very Mad Ughh, UGHH! Really? Come on now! I've lost my interest with these. You guys just had to HYPE people up with that mysterious website and now give us this. You just lost a sale Mad" is starting to show itself. Plus aren't these movies just a retelling of the whole series, with better animation and some new clips? Would have gotten them just to "complete" the series, but I gotta say that the no dub means no sale from me. Or if they sold it at a different store and/or with a cheaper price.
xBTAx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:52 pm Reply with quote
leftbehindxp wrote:
Ohhh now I need to go watch the series again!

Hmm this seems like a neat set up they got here. Rather get it somewhere else than the Bandai store but whatever. If they have given a soundtrack with the LE's I would be more willing to buy those. And I really don't know much about those Parallel Work's. I assume something to deal with parallel times? Check youtube and just found "clip shows" of the series.

Now I would be getting these but my "WhhhhhHHHHAT no Dubs?!? Evil or Very Mad Ughh, UGHH! Really? Come on now! I've lost my interest with these. You guys just had to HYPE people up with that mysterious website and now give us this. You just lost a sale Mad" is starting to show itself. Plus aren't these movies just a retelling of the whole series, with better animation and some new clips? Would have gotten them just to "complete" the series, but I gotta say that the no dub means no sale from me.

Parallel Works is basically a set of videos that show the characters in alternative universes. They're set to songs from the movie's soundtrack, and they're a nice bonus, considering (I believe) they were sold on a separate DVD in Japan.
leftbehindxp

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:11 pm Reply with quote
xBTAx wrote:

Parallel Works is basically a set of videos that show the characters in alternative universes. They're set to songs from the movie's soundtrack, and they're a nice bonus, considering (I believe) they were sold on a separate DVD in Japan.

Oh ok cool. Yeah I think they were sold separately according to a article somewhere on ANN.

By the way, does movie has a different soundtrack versus the T.V. series? Cause if it does then that would be pretty sweet (the series soundtrack rocked!).
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:36 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
What? No dub? That seems ridiculous to me considering the show already has one with a well established cast. At no dub, I think I'll just stick to my Bandai sets of the TV series as is since, even though the second movie is kind of awesome, it doesn't add enough to the show to warrant having it in a slightly different format.

Now, had there been a dub, and seeing how I actually bothered to buy all three GL sets in LE, I know I'm the type of person who'd get these too were they dub but because I've already seen them sub at my friend's house, what's the bonus for me? Parallel Works? Seen 'em. Booklet? Don't care. Postcards? Care only slightly more, but not enough to warrant buying them.

If they ever dub them, I would buy them though. I think it'd be different if this were a show that wasn't dubbed to begin with, like a sub-only show getting a sub-only movie, but this is different to me.

I have to agree, this isn't some "this will only sell 5 copies so we must release it subbed only" show it is freaking Gurren Lagann, we've already seen it and gotten into it dubbed, it had an amazing dub that actually got me to buy the DVDs and made the show much more fun for me, if they release it with a dub and sub later I'd buy it day one but I'm not touching this release, the exact opposite of what I did with Unicorn on Blu-ray which had both languages and a well-cast dub, as such I've watched it numerous times both ways.

I wouldn't mind Aniplex getting into this if they dubbed their stuff, they're big enough to afford dubs... and it prevents a second company from licensing something I might like and doing it properly with both languages even if it takes a little longer. I hate this idea that I want to pay for half-a-dual language-R1-release just to get it faster at the expense of ever getting a dub and no one else can ever release a dual-language version ever, especially shows that obviously aren't "those shows that would never get a dub in a million years".

From the Inteview wrote:
From now on, we are going to start releasing selected titles in North America, and we will try our best to meet fans' high expectations and keep up our good brand image.

To the Fans:
Your support for Aniplex's products will be a driving force and encouragement for us to create the next wonderful animation. Your contribution will be a big part of it. Thank you, and we look forward to seeing you at conventions.

I think we are already down to medium expectations at best if they aren't going to dub even a relatively big property as Gurren Lagann.

Right now you look like you're following the BVUSA model which our purchases already told you is not particularly popular.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:38 pm Reply with quote
At least BVUSA sold through other outlets and not just one single outlet. And their pricing was higher than this.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:43 pm Reply with quote
That's true, it's a bit of hyperbole since BVUSA prices were more ridiculous and even more so when you consider the runtime on a lot of those discs, but still it's the same "we'll rush it out without a dub" mentality.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9