• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Z Kai to Air on TheCW4Kids on Saturdays

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vilapupu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:57 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Maybe CW4Kids should put "steam clouds" over the naughty parts like Japanese TV networks. do, haha. Laughing

actually, I think FUNimation will do all the edits for TV instead of 4kids and Viacom. I'm sure when they passed it, the OP will just be dubbed ad well as the ED. we'll just have to see... (I actually do get Nicktoons)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:04 pm Reply with quote
vilapupu wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Maybe CW4Kids should put "steam clouds" over the naughty parts like Japanese TV networks. do, haha. Laughing

actually, I think FUNimation will do all the edits for TV instead of 4kids and Viacom. I'm sure when they passed it, the OP will just be dubbed ad well as the ED. we'll just have to see... (I actually do get Nicktoons)

I'm just speculating.

But what if they did? Would it be any different than Japanese TV networks do and then sell you the "unedited" DVDs? Laughing
mashimizu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
Stefnick wrote:
Hoorah, now I'll be able to watch the series, I don't get Nicktoons.

I realize how a lot of people feel about 4kids anything, but I'm seriously happy for this news, hopefully, the broadcast won't be any (too) different from Nicktoons. (though I guess I wouldn't really know.)

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? This is a nigtmare beyond words. Having it on Nicktoons and Naruto Shippuden on Disney was bad enough but DBZ to 4 crap kids of all things??? Are they trying to deliberaterly ruin anime for US hardcore otakus.

One Peice and Shaman King horror the sequel much??? and worse is that just like with OP and Shippuden , streamers are gonna rip the eps and illeagly stream them.

SIX FEET UNDER!!!
From a business point of view, young kids are better for business than "hardcore otakus". This move is big and guess what....the DVDs and Blu-Rays are uncut. So TV airings don't meant s***.

Toei was responsible for One Piece being a disaster.

WRONG! How are kids, who don't even have jobs which intern means they have no money, better business than people who love anime so much they have their own name, ie otaku? I don't know about you but my parents never got me any anime because they thought it was just "silly cartoons" that I would eventually grow out of. Its not until now that I am an "otaku" with a job that I can actually purchase and support anime and manga. Now, I'm not saying that anime companies shouldn't appeal to kids, I'm saying they shouldn't forget about their current fans, that's all.

P.S. I may sound angry in this post but I'm not, just stating facts.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:41 pm Reply with quote
mashimizu wrote:

WRONG! How are kids, who don't even have jobs which intern means they have no money, better business than people who love anime so much they have their own name, ie otaku? I don't know about you but my parents never got me any anime because they thought it was just "silly cartoons" that I would eventually grow out of. Its not until now that I am an "otaku" with a job that I can actually purchase and support anime and manga. Now, I'm not saying that anime companies shouldn't appeal to kids, I'm saying they shouldn't forget about their current fans, that's all.

P.S. I may sound angry in this post but I'm not, just stating facts.

Nope. Sorry. You are wrong. DVDs of kid's shows and the merchandise that go with them are always good sellers. This is big money and a good deal for Funimation. Just think of it this way, the money Funimation will make on this deal may fund the next redundant otaku show that otaku want so much, and even maybe something that is actually ... good.

The details of the partnership weren't outlined in the announcement, but my guess is that Funimation will get most of the profit from DVD sales, and 4kids will rake it in off of peripheral merchandise and toys.
Maybe Funimation's Mr. Haskell will pop in and fill us in on more of the details. In any case, I'm sure that Funi will not be screwing anyone over on the DVDs. Most edits made for TV these days come from the Networks standards as outlined by the FCC. Those edits won't be in the DVD releases.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:09 pm Reply with quote
So Funimation sold the writes to both 4kids and Viacom? How is that legal? Also if it is legal than Funimation just stabbed Viacom in the back to make a quick buck, not a good business deal considering how Viacom is a huge succesful company and 4kids is not.
D Dubbs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
So Funimation sold the writes to both 4kids and Viacom? How is that legal? Also if it is legal than Funimation just stabbed Viacom in the back to make a quick buck, not a good business deal considering how Viacom is a huge succesful company and 4kids is not.

It's perfectly legal...one is for broadcast and one is for cable. Like how CSI airs in local syndication and airs on SPIKE on cable.

Besides, Nicktoons will be airing the episodes on weekdays, so they'll be way far ahead of the 4Kids airing, since they'll only air one episode a week (or maybe two if we're lucky). The CW4Kids airing will give those without premium cable a chance to view DBZ Kai...they'll be reruns, but still new to a lot of viewers.

It's a smart move for both parties...4Kids gets a top tier show on their network and FUNimation gets a lot more exposure for the show.

Last edited by D Dubbs on Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dumnerd

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:27 pm Reply with quote
D Dubbs wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

It's perfectly legal...one is for broadcast and one is for cable. Like how CSI airs in local syndication and airs on SPIKE on cable.

Besides, Nicktoons will be airing the episodes on weekdays, so they'll be way far ahead of the 4Kids airing, since they'll only air one episode a week (or maybe two if we're lucky). The CW4Kids airing will give those without premium cable a chance to view DBZ Kai...so they'll be reruns, but still new to a lot of people.
Yeah, what he said. Cool
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

How Funi they stab anyone in the back? I think there is a previous agreement between 4kids and Viacom. This DBZ news is even announced on Viacom's website:

http://www.viacom.com/news/Pages/newstext.aspx?RID=1405623

Doesn't look like there is any problem to me.....
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:05 pm Reply with quote
This is good news, but I also think people are being too optimistic. Just because Dragon Ball Kai is being aired on national television, doesn't mean all of a sudden there will be hundreds of anime fans, and that anime will be big like it was in 2003. It's not like it used to be. People have different interests. Just because it's on TV doesn't mean legions of people will watch it and love it. Some viewers are selective about what they watch. Even anime fans are selective. You can't just assume everyone will watch Dragon Ball Kai and love it.
Stefnick

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:52 pm Reply with quote
LemonCookies wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
Stefnick wrote:

I realize how a lot of people feel about 4kids anything, but I'm seriously happy for this news, hopefully, the broadcast won't be any (too) different from Nicktoons. (though I guess I wouldn't really know.)

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? This is a nigtmare beyond words. Having it on Nicktoons and Naruto Shippuden on Disney was bad enough but DBZ to 4 crap kids of all things??? Are they trying to deliberaterly ruin anime for US hardcore otakus. Cause if they are attempting to draw them to the sub version online , then they are sure doing it cause no thanks to 4kids most of them watch subs only and this will make it even worse. Just like with Shippuden this TV broadcast is another avoid like a plague and just get the uncut dvd.

Wow, overreaction much?

I know right.

Not really a nightmare beyond words. I guess for me personally I have this expectation for TV airing anime to be edited. So I don't mind edits if it on TV. I grew up with this practice, so it doesn't brother me much. It's expected. Beside I first got into DBZ through the edit version (purple blood FTW), I still enjoyed it greatly when I was younger and that is what I think the primary audience is (young kids). Naruto Shippuden, edits weren't that bad, sure I was disappointed I couldn't see Konohamaru's Sexy: Girl on Girl Technique (understandble really), but I still have other legal ways to watch the series uncut if I wanted to, and I understand that.

I mainly wanted to watch DBZ Kai for Nostalgic reasons and to hear the new dub, I didn't have intention to buy the series in the first place (maybe rent it). So I'm just glad I have a venue available to me so enjoy the series. But overall I'm happy that DBZ is getting exposer, hopefully this reoccurred of anime on tv after a bit of a drought will be good for industry as a whole, getting fresh eyes into this fandom I love so much.

It was popular with the heavy edits of the 90s, I don't think whatever CW has plan will be anywhere as bad.

I also don't this is "deliberaterly ruin anime for US hardcore otakus", it's been said before but FUNi has the uncut version ready to be purchase. So that really isn't a good excuse. If they don't want to watch the TV airing then that their choice, not necessarily a bad thing in itself if you still supporting the release by buying the Uncut DVD. If they were so easily turn off by this now should be expected practice of TV editing, I feel that they were going to go back to the fansubs regardless IMO.

This is for children, it always been for children. It's a mainstream show, and it's always been a mainstream show. It'll hopefully attract who it need to attract which is a wide audience of kids, who'll hopefully sucker their parents into buying its merchandise. Just because broadcast treatment is less than desirable to you, does not in anyway ruin your hardcore otaku lifestyle. You'll always have that niche stuff as well as the mainstream. If fact it might help pay for it, FUNi has been milking this never ending cash cow for awhile now.

mashimizu wrote:

Not that I don't agree that they shouldn't forget about their constant older support, which I feel that do care about us as shown with the uncut releases. But I have to disagree with you point of kids are less useful because they don't have money. Your parents may not have bought you anime, but mind sure did. Pokemon, Sailor Moon, DBZ, etc. And in my personally experience, it wasn't just me even just me a lot of kids would have Pokemon and DBZ t-shirts. I even remember near the height of DBZ popularity so many kids (mostly boys) would have how to draw DBZ characters. Not to mention the ultimate cash cow that is Pokemon. I couldn't turn a corner without see some kind of merchandise of the series in my elementary school. The trading cards, oh my god, the trading cards. My Middle School years must have been a great time for anime in printed media. Manga, Shonen Jumps, and Anime Magazines, kids I didn't think liked anime, and after middle school seemed to have grown out of it, was reading one. Even now a boy that goes to my church summer program brought Naruto manga and those headbands. Kids can pester their parents into purchasing items, heck, I know I few parent who got into anime themselves through their kids. So I guess my point being that some parent are willing to buy this kind of stuff for their kids. So they can have a sufficient influence on the market, if done well. How you think DBZ got popular in the first place? kids. And those kids may have grew up now purchase the releases and maybe even got into anime and became a new customer for other series.

I think it's mostly about exposer, which audience do you think would be more willing to watch DBZ if they knew less to nothing about the series: kids or adults. Thanks to the Animation Age Ghetto, it'll be the kids.

I personally happy for any exposer, and pray that it restart the anime industry as it was in the late 90s and early 2000s, and now since the industry has learn from itself, it can be better than before. I seriously don't care if 4kids has anything to with the edits or not. As long as the DVD are uncut I don't care. Leave the TV for the general audience, who won't know the difference and we can have alternative legal releases. IMO
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:13 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Stefnick wrote:

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? This is a nigtmare beyond words. Having it on Nicktoons and Naruto Shippuden on Disney was bad enough but DBZ to 4 crap kids of all things??? Are they trying to deliberaterly ruin anime for US hardcore otakus. Cause if they are attempting to draw them to the sub version online , then they are sure doing it cause no thanks to 4kids most of them watch subs only and this will make it even worse. Just like with Shippuden this TV broadcast is another "avoid like the plague" cause knowing 4kids, they'll give the massive edits that they give to anime every time.

One Peice and Shaman King horror the sequel much??? and worse is that just like with OP and Shippuden , streamers are gonna rip the eps and illeagly stream them.

I don't know what the hell Funi is doing but if they don't cgane this decision soon, it's gonna end up like Geneon as well as Central Park Media & ADV Films.

SIX FEET UNDER!!!
Excuse my rudeness, but there's something about this post that basically forced me to yell to my monitor SHUT UP, BITCH!!!!
GARlock

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Youkai Warrior wrote:
This is good news, but I also think people are being too optimistic. Just because Dragon Ball Kai is being aired on national television, doesn't mean all of a sudden there will be hundreds of anime fans, and that anime will be big like it was in 2003. It's not like it used to be. People have different interests. Just because it's on TV doesn't mean legions of people will watch it and love it. Some viewers are selective about what they watch. Even anime fans are selective. You can't just assume everyone will watch Dragon Ball Kai and love it.

Agreed. Sure, DBZ was popular back in the day, but there was a sea of other shows on that contributed to anime's popularity. Really, DBKai all by itself won't do much. There needs to be more child appropriate shows and more blocks like Toonami to air them on. Sure, Disney may have Shippuden, but how many people actually have Disney xD? I know I don't. I think the best contender would be Cartoon Network, but they really don't care about anime anymore. And why should they? They're coming out with a ton of their own original shows, and most of them are pretty great. I think it will be a while before we see anime reach the popularity it had back in the early 00's. I guess DBKai is a step in the right direction, but it won't accomplish much I think.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
darksharingan wrote:

Yeah but isn't Saban defunct right now leaving the newer digimon series in the hands of 4Kids? Look at Digimon Savers.

Saban is defunct, but like I said, it's now in the hands of Disney, not 4Kids. Disney bought out Saban, so it owns anything that Saban used to, like Power Rangers, Digimon, ...Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation...er, did I mention they have Power Rangers? Yeah...we'll just go on pretending that 3rd show I mentioned didn't exist, k?

Anyway, Savers actually had a pretty good dub as far as Digimon dubs go. I don't think there was anything that badly edited, save for the bomb Digimon into an orange...which counts for a ton of bad edits all on it's own actually.

Digimon Savers = Dubbed by Toei themselves with Disney only having broadcast rights (similar to the Pretty Cure dub on YTV in Canada).
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Funimation is handling the dubbing, not 4Kids. And the show is already airing in Australia this month. So it appears that 4Kids is only acting as a distributor and won't be doing any editing. However, there's no way of knowing if we'll get all 100 episodes.
KariOhki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:08 pm Reply with quote
If it wasn't starting in the fall, I'd probably watch this one instead...(anyone know the exact date Nicktoons is starting their run? I really wanna record/watch)

If 4Kids airs all the eps or not depends on ratings, look at Doremi's original run (only half the eps aired on TV, the other half online). Guess the same goes for Nicktoons.

Lol to all the people overreacting, I wonder how many of them got into anime through "butchered" shows...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5