• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Animatrix's Studio 4°C to Animate New ThunderCats

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basilisk Steven

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:38 am Reply with quote
Regardless what your feelings about the original show might be, I consider news like this pretty good for anime in general. Part of what made the anime boom of the late 70s/early 80s happen, was an increase in coproductions with foreign studios and producers (including the original ThunderCats).
Any kind of interest a western producer might have in outsourcing an animated product to Japan brings a much needed financial injection to any anime studio at this time. Plus it might make the anime studios sit up and realise they could expand their horizons beyond the ever decreasing circles of hardcore otaku.

As for the choice of Studio 4°C, they have shown themselves capable of doing more western-oriented material and of handling coproductions pretty well, so it seems natural.

Hey, if I had my choice, I'd get Yoshiaki Kawajiri to direct it, and then we'd have a Norio Wakamoto-voiced Lion-O slicing up mutants with that Sword of Omens like there's no tomorrow!
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:30 am Reply with quote
Cain Highwind wrote:
I'm sure it's just a promo image. Being Studio 4C I'm sure it be very much Anime.

And I agree, I say, bring it on. I was a fan of Thundercats when I was like 4 years old, but watching reruns when I was older in the 90s, I didn't see the appeal. It came across very corny. I'd love to see a fresh take on it though.

well that picture is definately worth a thousand words. it's not gonna be like the 80's. that's for sure.

Also alongs as it's not as corny as the remake of the He-man series a while back. i am all for it.

and on a somber note if my dad was still alive he'd probably be interested in it cause he was one hell of a fan to Mummra , " The ever living. "

Wonder how they'll ever redo him???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:13 am Reply with quote
Since after several Japanese-US anime co-productions like Batman: Gotham Knight and Halo Legends, and Little Nemo has been reclassified as anime. Hey I even think Might Orbots, Skysurfers Strike Force, and Bionic Six should be classified as anime because they are Japanese-US co-production. There was a debate if Thundercats should be considered anime and it was still a hot debate among animation fans because the animators who did Thundercats are now working for Studio Ghibli and Hayao Miyazaki. Although it might have been a overseas work, but some speculated it might be a US-Japanese co-production back in the 80's. I don't even know if Thundercats was broadcasted in Japan (can anybody verfiy this for me).

But now, I think (in my opinion) Thundercats should be classify as anime. I know it's hard to grasp that. But if IGPX, Witchblade, The Animatrix (although 2 segments wasn't done in Japan), Batman: Gotham Knight, and Halo Legends are classified as anime, why can't we classify Thundercats as anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:17 am Reply with quote
Honestly, why are people so concerned with whether something should be "classified as anime" or not?
Takeyo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:44 am Reply with quote
Probably the same reason why some folk object to referring to dolphins as fish: Taxonomy.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:05 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

But now, I think (in my opinion) Thundercats should be classify as anime. I know it's hard to grasp that. But if IGPX, Witchblade, The Animatrix (although 2 segments wasn't done in Japan), Batman: Gotham Knight, and Halo Legends are classified as anime, why can't we classify Thundercats as anime.

Many Disney cartoons of the 80's and 90's had animation by Tokyo Movie Shinsha. Should they also be called anime? Not only tv series but also some direct to video sequels were animated at least partly by the Japanese. If it's co-production then fine but if only the animation and nothing else (character designs, writing, storyboards) is Japanese I would just call it outsourcing.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:28 am Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Many Disney cartoons of the 80's and 90's had animation by Tokyo Movie Shinsha. Should they also be called anime? Not only tv series but also some direct to video sequels were animated at least partly by the Japanese. If it's co-production then fine but if only the animation and nothing else (character designs, writing, storyboards) is Japanese I would just call it outsourcing.

Exactly. Folks have to get it through their heads that "anime" is NOT a term that defines animation from Japan. It means "aniMATION". In every sense of the word. It's just that fans here are the ones that use the term in that matter to separate their animation from US made. Where as in Japan the term is NOT used that way. Like 'Disney anime'. Yet the majority of shows produced here have been outsourced for decades. The 'Simpsons' uses outsourcing too. Many use 'Korean' studios. So does that mean the show is "whatever the hell the term it's called in Korean" a Korean show? I guess the new 'Stitch' movie is considered anime too huh? People always need to find reason to separate things when there really is no need to. There was an article in an issue of the now defunct 'NTUSA' on 'Oban Racers'. Since the guy who created the show was from France and based his operations in Japan and had Japanese staff to work on the project, the question arose, "is Oban Racers considered anime?" He pretty much summed up what is being discussed here now. Animations is animation no matter where it comes from.

To be honest I hardly use the term "anime" anymore.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:52 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Exactly. Folks have to get it through their heads that "anime" is NOT a term that defines animation from Japan. It means "aniMATION". In every sense of the word. It's just that fans here are the ones that use the term in that matter to separate their animation from US made. Where as in Japan the term is NOT used that way. Like 'Disney anime'. Yet the majority of shows produced here have been outsourced for decades. The 'Simpsons' uses outsourcing too. Many use 'Korean' studios. So does that mean the show is "whatever the hell the term it's called in Korean" a Korean show? I guess the new 'Stitch' movie is considered anime too huh? People always need to find reason to separate things when there really is no need to. There was an article in an issue of the now defunct 'NTUSA' on 'Oban Racers'. Since the guy who created the show was from France and based his operations in Japan and had Japanese staff to work on the project, the question arose, "is Oban Racers considered anime?" He pretty much summed up what is being discussed here now. Animations is animation no matter where it comes from.

To be honest I hardly use the term "anime" anymore.

Those Disney cartoon in the 80s and 90's are not anime because it's a outsourced work, they are not co-production like IGPX. But Bionic Six and Mighty Orbots are considered anime because they are co-productions and they were both directed by Osamu Dezaki (who directed a lot of anime like Tomorrow's Joe, Rose of Versailles, Golgo 13: Queen Bee, Air: the movie, and Clannad: the movie)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:03 am Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Cool new ThunderCats I just hope they don't fudge it up

I don't see how anyone could screw up large cats walking around like humans screaming "Ho!" whose nemesis is sponsored by Band-Aid and speaks as though he's had nothing more than a 2nd grade education.

No way at all.
ShadowRayden

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:28 pm Reply with quote
CN did have an identity crisis, however they took major steps to redeem themselves in my book. Generator Rex is one their more slid shows in some time, There is a kind of 'wachability' to it. Batman B&B, absolutely solid. I consider this to be good news as well as them bringing back Looney Tunes. Going back to the roots. I really could not take any more "Build Destroy Build", or whatever...
Katane

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:30 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Thunder!

Thunder!

Thunder!

THUNDERCATS HOOOOOOOO!

I'm only 19 and I'm excited about this news. spoiler[Snarf]

Crispin Freeman as Lionel. DO IT!

I think Crispin would be better as Panthro than Lion-O but anyway normally I would be against remakes but to see a new take on Thundercats will be interesting to see. I can't wait!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:52 pm Reply with quote
One big HOOOO! for the return of Thundercats.
I don't know why someone in the article would call this the WBs first anime, since just having a Japanese studio do the animation does not make it an anime(genre). If we use the literal meaning of anime then this is definitely not the WBs first animation.

Thundercats will be written, designed, and created in the US it will still fall under the category of US animation. Having it drawn in Japan is what we call outsourcing, perhaps they are just trying to spin it.

Oh well what's in a name?

I just hope the show will be created with the intent to retain past fans as a demographic.(20+) Since this is Warner Bros. they do a fair job at creating animated shows that have wide appeal.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:26 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

Also alongs as it's not as corny as the remake of the He-man series a while back. i am all for it.

What's corny about the new He-Man? I thought they played it too straight-up.

Chrno2 wrote:
I guess the new 'Stitch' movie is considered anime too huh?

But the new TV series are. Laughing

Chrno2 wrote:

There was an article in an issue of the now defunct 'NTUSA' on 'Oban Racers'. Since the guy who created the show was from France and based his operations in Japan and had Japanese staff to work on the project, the question arose, "is Oban Racers considered anime?"

Oban even has a Japanese ED theme. What's up with these Japanese themes anyways? Some shows have it too....
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:55 pm Reply with quote
@ Chron2 and co

I have to agree. The 'anime' term has meant just japanese anime to me for any years. However, as I've matured, I've learned to appreciate anime, manga etc from anywhere, if it cool. I still have friends who have that snobby elitist attitude, that japanese anime is the end all, be all.

I recently watched the Dead Space anime, which I found to be very entertaining western effort, and a nice compliment to the game. I wanted to strangle a friend, who myopicly said the opposite.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:25 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
One big HOOOO! for the return of Thundercats.
I don't know why someone in the article would call this the WBs first anime, since just having a Japanese studio do the animation does not make it an anime(genre). If we use the literal meaning of anime then this is definitely not the WBs first animation.

Because when
Quote:
Sam Register, Cartoon Network's Executive Vice President of Creative Affairs, described the new series as "Warner Bros. Animation's first anime series."
... he was speaking English, rather than Japanese, so he would be using the term in English to refer to an animation executed in a recognizably Japanese tradition.

And he is of course engaged in marketing, so claiming that it is the WB's first animation in an anime genre could turn out to be accurate, and it could turn out to be hype.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5