• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Marvel Anime to Run on G4 in the United States in 2011

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:58 am Reply with quote
jsieczka wrote:
loka wrote:
what ages are the shows aimed at? i.e. how good/bad is the dialogue in the iron man anime. I suppose the fact that I even care means these probably aren't for me.

I'm going to guess mid to late teens younger then the intended comic crowed. I am also going to guess that you won't see many of the political and social issues that are heavy in the comics being brought into the anime.

I am very interested to see how they treat X-Men, at its basics it is a story about equality and discrimination. If you take out all the plot points about racial, gender, religious, and sexual orientation there isn't much left but a generic action show.

Hahaha, anime doesn't do political and social issues! Those are too complex for their typical indifferent Japanese audience. Laughing

Ranmah wrote:
I saw the Wolverine trailer in Tokyo a year ago. I saw them at a Blister store in Shibuya. The concept was interesting. My beef is going to be how well the US voice actors will be. It should be interesting.

They'd probably be going with the official voice of Wolverine by the name of Steve Blum. Perhaps everyone here has heard of him? Laughing
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:22 pm Reply with quote
What I find interesting about this announcement is not that it's on G4 (or how crappy the station has become- but then, I haven't had cable ina year and a half- I stream, download, or rent everything I watch).

It's that they are not on any Disney channels, particularly Disney X.D.* (formerly Jetix)- their young male targeted channel. As I understood it one of the main reasons Disney bought Marvel was to expand that market. Disney has always been strong with younger kids and girls but have had a problem retaining boys as they reach the teen years.

What it says to me is that the shows are skewing too old for a Disney channel. Not that it won't attract young male viewers but if they ran it on Disney, James Dobson's minions would get their panties in a bunch at a show with a womanizing, drinking Tony Stark.

G4 on the other hand has been trying to ride the not so impressive coattails of Spike TV, so it's a decent demographic match. And maybe the choice to avoid placement on a higher profile platform like SPike or Adult Swim was to avoid channels that have been more associated with Warner properties (like DC).

It's good news to me, it looks to mean that the show won't be just another US superhero cartoon, only with anime art, but the other way around, a legitimate anime with American characters.

*edited on a re-read to include the periods because without them X.D. equals Anime hyper

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
How 'bout you tell us how you really feel?

I really like to (CENSORED) Munn. Take that body of hers and (CENSORED) to it and (CENSORED) that to it. Make her (CENSORED) and (CENSORED) plus (CENSORED) with (WAIT, WUT?) coupled with (INDESCRIBABLE ACT) love holes. Dress her up in some maid costume and them make her (CAN'T SAY THAT) while she (WHOOPS, CAN'T SAY THAT ALSO) that would make Batman puke like a baby.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4