• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fuji Producer: No 2nd Aoi Hana Season Due to DVD Sales

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
I now more shows like Toradora would be fine with me.

Isn't EVERY show like Toradora? Seriously, if you want more generic romantic comedies, Japanland delivers at least two a season.

And its hilarious that you say "recent" yuri isn't dubbed. I guess you're ignorant of Canaan's dub....
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Kyaa the Catlord wrote:
Rinkwolf wrote:

And its hilarious that you say "recent" yuri isn't dubbed. I guess you're ignorant of Canaan's dub....

More than that, Blue Drop got a dub (granted that series is not really a favorite of mine but still).
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:35 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Kyaa the Catlord wrote:
Rinkwolf wrote:

More than that, Blue Drop got a dub (granted that series is not really a favorite of mine but still).

*pout* Blue Drop's awesomeness isn't really shown simply from the anime. If you haven't, check out the manga and like... ignore the smut. The story he's telling through that manga is amazing. (And the smut bits are excellent, albeit a bit disturbing.)
fireaxe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
To add to that, there was practically no Yuri anime being licensed.

And Koihime Musou was just licensed this week... I doubt it'll get a dub though, but who knows.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:37 pm Reply with quote
fireaxe wrote:
Rinkwolf wrote:
To add to that, there was practically no Yuri anime being licensed.

And Koihime Musou was just licensed this week... I doubt it'll get a dub though, but who knows.

A Koihime Musou dub has trainwreck written all over it. I hope it gets one, its fun watching trains smash together. Very Happy

Speaking of which, I should rewatch Maze....
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:43 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Kyaa the Catlord wrote:
Rinkwolf wrote:

What you are doing is called nit picking. Also, Canaan is more of a action show, just because it happens to fall in the yuri genre it doesn't mean it's all about it. I mean I watched it for the awesome action, not the Yuri (of which there was so little you can even say there wasn't any)

However, you are right about Blue Drop, forgot about that. So I stand corrected.

There is only 1 strongly yuri based anime that has been dubbed in the last few years (even thought it did initially release as a sub only first)...... is that better?

Off topic, but i'm watching MM! and it's actually has a very good story thus far. Far more then what I expected from the show.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Parsifal24 wrote:
I guess that's the breaks but as to why it didn't sell first off Yuri is a pretty niche market even in Japan and Yuri that has semi realistic depictions of lesbianism is an even harder sell. So the fact that Aoi Hana didn't sell that well is not that suprising.
Yes, its easier in manga because they do not have to sell as many to break even. But while there are a few yuri-dedicated quarterly and just this year a bi-monthly, its still a niche market.

In the US, yuri struggles to get even that much ~ a buying audience for the average title of 4,000 might be around what you need to break even, and Erica Friedman estimates the yuri market at around 2,500. The BL market is still very much a niche market, but a larger one, and so its possible to license far more yaoi titles.

I hadn't harbored hopes to see a second season ... I was happy to see it get on Crunchyroll, though it was reputed to be by picking up a full license, and it seems likely that the streaming hits by the time for renewal were not strong enough to cover the cost of renewing the license (whatever that may have been). I'm skeptical whether Sentai/Section23 will pick it up, but if they pass, hopefully Nozomi will.
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:

There is only 1 strongly yuri based anime that has been dubbed in the last few years (even thought it did initially release as a sub only first)...... is that better?

Off topic, but i'm watching MM! and it's actually has a very good story thus far. Far more then what I expected from the show.

1? Well, other than El Cazadore De La Bruja, Madlax..... Probably others, but I don't watch dubs primarily and don't need them to enjoy my anime.

But hey, according to you Canaan wasn't all about the relationship between Canaan and Maria....
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Kyaa the Catlord wrote:
Rinkwolf wrote:

1? Well, other than El Cazadore De La Bruja, Madlax..... Probably others, but I don't watch dubs primarily and don't need them to enjoy my anime.

But hey, according to you Canaan wasn't all about the relationship between Canaan and Maria....

Sorry, but El Caxadore De La Bruja is not a yuri shows in my eyes. You can call the main characters more of friends that trust each other a lot, they were no lovers (which is what yuri is, girls having girl lovers). Besides, we have L.A. what was just misunderstood in the show, which was pretty sad.

Canaan, I haven't seen to the end (watching right now) but as of yet it's doesn't seem to be a yuri show in the least. They maybe some sort of relation between them but not to the extent of lovers. They may bond or connect but they are nowhere near lovers.

Aoi Hana is a show that is all about the yuri. Where as other shows maybe fall in the yuri genre but all they use yuri for is comic relief. The subject at hand is that shows that are full blown yuri (girls loving other girls in not a comedic way) don't sell well in either Japan or U.S.

Oh yeah, almost forgot,....... DUBS FTW. Razz
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:

Sorry, but El Caxadore De La Bruja is not a yuri shows in my eyes. Oh yeah, almost forgot,....... DUBS FTW. Razz

The first line tells me I don't need to argue, you've got your blinders on and thats cool.

I'm not sure why you felt you needed to go there. This isn't a discussion about subs vs. dubs and this sort of, hmmm, trolling isn't needed.

And with that, I'm ending my discussion with you. Sorry Rink....

Now to more important matters....

agila61 wrote:
Parsifal24 wrote:
I guess that's the breaks but as to why it didn't sell first off Yuri is a pretty niche market even in Japan and Yuri that has semi realistic depictions of lesbianism is an even harder sell. So the fact that Aoi Hana didn't sell that well is not that suprising.
Yes, its easier in manga because they do not have to sell as many to break even. But while there are a few yuri-dedicated quarterly and just this year a bi-monthly, its still a niche market.

In the US, yuri struggles to get even that much ~ a buying audience for the average title of 4,000 might be around what you need to break even, and Erica Friedman estimates the yuri market at around 2,500. The BL market is still very much a niche market, but a larger one, and so its possible to license far more yaoi titles.

I hadn't harbored hopes to see a second season ... I was happy to see it get on Crunchyroll, though it was reputed to be by picking up a full license, and it seems likely that the streaming hits by the time for renewal were not strong enough to cover the cost of renewing the license (whatever that may have been). I'm skeptical whether Sentai/Section23 will pick it up, but if they pass, hopefully Nozomi will.

I agree with you on the lack of hope for a second season. Maybe a second season of Sasekoto, but not AoiHana....

The other thing about the BL crowd which differs from the yuri crowd is that they are loud. Almost obnoxiously loud. Ok, no almost about it. Very Happy Yuri fans seem to be more of the "don't mind me while I try to fade into the shadows" sort who don't draw attention to the fact that girls love is awesome. I'm not sure why this is. I do know that I'd feel terribly uncomfortable at yuricon, since people like me aren't welcome in the walled garden of maidens. Its hard being a guy who likes shoujo ai, we tend to get labelled "creepy loser fanboys" if we speak up.
Saga_Darklight

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:20 am Reply with quote
Damn it, I really wanted to see more of those two. I guess not everyone like these type of melodramatic shows anymore.
warpshadow

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:32 am Reply with quote
Kyaa the Catlord wrote:

I agree with you on the lack of hope for a second season. Maybe a second season of Sasekoto, but not AoiHana....

The other thing about the BL crowd which differs from the yuri crowd is that they are loud. Almost obnoxiously loud. Ok, no almost about it. Very Happy Yuri fans seem to be more of the "don't mind me while I try to fade into the shadows" sort who don't draw attention to the fact that girls love is awesome. I'm not sure why this is. I do know that I'd feel terribly uncomfortable at yuricon, since people like me aren't welcome in the walled garden of maidens. Its hard being a guy who likes shoujo ai, we tend to get labelled "creepy loser fanboys" if we speak up.
I understand your sentiments and reflecting on them I guess the lack of a second season is a bit of karma. If you turn away people from your fandom never be surprised when negative things happen to it because it's not popular enough.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:27 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:

What about Strike Witches?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:05 am Reply with quote
What about Mnemosyne? There are a lot of "what if" shows that could be thrown out.

Anyway, this pretty much sucks. Guess I'll just cross my fingers for a Sasameki Koto 2 then. And if that fails, then at the very least a Saki 2, once the manga gets through the nationals.

Last edited by Megiddo on Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Seljuk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:05 am Reply with quote
Good riddance. I hated this show.

It was boring, had really awkward CG (the cars, my eyes! they burn!), bad script, cliched characters, and I really did not like the voice work.

Seriously, it's pretty a shounen kind of story, but with girls instead. How edgy. It's still bad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6