• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Revenge of the 2000s Part I: Are You Not Entertained?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:36 am Reply with quote
[EDIT: This is an FMA: Brotherhood spoiler. Such things need to be indicated when the whole post is in spoiler tags. - Key]

spoiler[Yeah, because Edward sacrificing his alchemy gate, something he probably should have figured out from day one, made a lot more sense as an ending. And the guy who swallows "God" just standing around letting everyone chip away at him instead of hiding in solid matter and transmuting everyone's souls at the same time instead of being stupid makes sense, too. And that Greed "just wanted friends" despite starting out with a bunch of them and still wanting more. "Aw, all he REALLY wanted was friends all along!" is such an incredibly lame cop-out for my favorite character.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:46 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
spoiler[Yeah, because Edward sacrificing his alchemy gate, something he probably should have figured out from day one, made a lot more sense as an ending. And the guy who swallows "God" just standing around letting everyone chip away at him instead of hiding in solid matter and transmuting everyone's souls at the same time instead of being stupid makes sense, too. And that Greed "just wanted friends" despite starting out with a bunch of them and still wanting more. "Aw, all he REALLY wanted was friends all along!" is such an incredibly lame cop-out for my favorite character.]

Its growth, Greed grows as a person figuring out that spoiler[he was fine back at the bar without the need for immortality], Ed would have never spoiler[sacrificed his gate in the early portion of the series because he thought alchemy was some great thing that made him better than everyone else (right off the top of my head Ed tells Rose that alchemist are the closest thing to God) its only through seeing the abuse of alchemy through people like Shou Tucker, and Central command that he changes his mind.]

That was the entire reason for spoiler[Truth. He was meant to teach alchemist how to grow as a person. Father couldn't grow as a person as he was obsessed with stealing power from God so Truth sent back into the gate.]

Father isn't exactly a fighter he could react but he was never really creative with his alchemy.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:51 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I agree intensely with Hope on Baccano. I ended up loving characters who, by most measures, were horrible, violent sociopaths. Hell, my favorite was Ladd Russo, and he's a walking machine of death (though his actual kill count is very low, making Claire the winner there). Thieves, grifters, bootleggers, bomb makers, and a very unusual mechanic with a penchant for speeches and kidnapping, are the stars of this program.

Even worse, one of them is named Jacuzzi Splot.

We now return you to your regular FMA vs. FMA Brotherhood debate.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:58 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Will have to see all of Simoun one of these days. Only made it to episode 7 or so since I really didn't care for any of the characters, and despite the all-female cast, didn't seem yuri enough for me aside from the fanservicey bits. I'm guessing it didn't sell so well since Right Stuf has a massively discounted bundle of the original single volumes.

Media Blasters already has a complete collection set released so the singles are pretty much redundant. And get to Episode 8, that's where it things really get pretty insane! Surprised
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:36 am Reply with quote
Missed the opertunity to list my top three but I have my top ten so here goes
10. ABC's Of Blossoming
9. Air (Movie)
8. Kannon
7. Fate/Zero
6. Fate/ Stay Night
5. Lyrical Nanoha A's
4. Lyrical Nanoha
3. Texhnolyze
2. Haibne Renme
and number one...
1. Madoka Magica

honrobal mentions include Koi Kaze and K-On! Oh My Goddess! and Kanokon and Rahxeophon
daichi383

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:31 am Reply with quote
Parsifal24 wrote:
10. ABC's Of Blossoming
9. Air (Movie)
8. Kannon
7. Fate/Zero
6. Fate/ Stay Night
5. Lyrical Nanoha A's
4. Lyrical Nanoha
3. Texhnolyze
2. Haibne Renme
and number one...
1. Madoka Magica

honrobal mentions include Koi Kaze and K-On! Oh My Goddess! and Kanokon and Rahxeophon

Aren't Madoka and Fate/Zero 2011 shows. I don't think they count as part of the 2000s. Wink
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:38 am Reply with quote
daichi383 wrote:
Parsifal24 wrote:
10. ABC's Of Blossoming
9. Air (Movie)
8. Kannon
7. Fate/Zero
6. Fate/ Stay Night
5. Lyrical Nanoha A's
4. Lyrical Nanoha
3. Texhnolyze
2. Haibne Renme
and number one...
1. Madoka Magica

Aren't Madoka and Fate/Zero 2011 shows. I don't think they count as part of the 2000s. Wink

Oh see I thought when it was 2000s that it meant 2000 to present i.e. 2011 well now I know
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:46 am Reply with quote
Ah the 2000's. The 2000's were probably the first really mixed decade for me as an anime fan and I'm fairly familiar with at least 4 (70's-2000's) by this point. A lot of things changed the way I see it as to what was considered popular or top quality in the anime scene, what types of shows were produced and how. It felt like the first half of the decade was largely business as usual and an extension of the 90's (minus the rather noticeable and rocky switch to Computer assisted animation from straight hand drawn), but from 2006 onward you saw a massive boost in moe "slice of life" shows that seem to have sort of come to define what anime is about to most or at the very least many people.

I sort of used to associate anime with imagination, willingness to experiment with concepts and ideas that western animation shyed away from (at the time) and just general fun times. Now I sort of associate a lot of it with trying to give people the ideal "waifu" with custom made personalities (often tsundere), the degradation of the male lead to audience surrogate rather than a person to watch grow from their experiences in the show and the overwhelming feeling that someone is being pandered too as the main overriding goal of the show.

On the plus side you have the change to HD which brings about new possibilities for TV anime visuals that weren't there before with SD resolutions, but on the downside usually some of the best animated shows are among the ones I'm list interested in. Despite their massive surge in popularity over the latter half of the decade I just could never really get into the Kyoani stuff for example in spite of how much flourish they have at times. They just do nothing for me.

The 2000's also saw the rise of kit-bashing type producers as I like to call them such as Aniplex which have been the main driving force behind some of the most hyped yet some of the most pandering and go nowhere wastes of time as well. They're philosophy seems to be to gather up whatever big names there are in the industry at the moment, stick them in a room together, throw some money at the show in the form of funding and well run ad/hype campaigns, and meanwhile have the staff they've assembled seemingly all come up with ideas they think will be popular with the otaku crowd independent of one another and then throw all these together and god help them try to make a functional TV series out of it. They've been responsible for some of the biggest hits of the current era, but I tend to associate the majority of their shows with aggressive pandering of concepts that supersede any efforts to have a stable coherent plot line and character development that just end up a mess. The crown jewel of this style of production in terms of going horribly wrong is probably Guilty Crown.

Basically my point is that for whatever reason everything good in this decade seems to come with a trade off that at best leads to middling feelings and thus rarely is there a TV show that tends to stand out as truly special and unique anymore. This rule doesn't apply as much to OVA's and Movies though where it feels like there are still attempts to innovate and just do a production for the sake of production without worrying what the current stock of Akiba otaku will think because often times they aren't the sole audience being targeted.

I have hopes for the current decade though as it seems there's at least an attempt to get back to producing more varied content and not totally fall back on the Light Novel scene for example, but I don't know if it's going to last.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:11 pm Reply with quote
The best ones for me from 2000 to 2005 would be...

1.Azumanga Daioh
2.Ouran High School Host club
3. Spirited Away
4.Lucky Star

For the best ones of 2006 to 2012 In my case they would be
1. Nichijou (My ordinary life)
2. Axis Powers Hetalia
3.Clannad and Clannad after story
4. Anohana
danilo07

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Well well my list was read..,twice and the reason why I find Mushishi to be the best anime of the decade is that every time I re-watch the show I always see something new in it and I am completely immersed in this world of mushi.And although it looks like every episode is the same,they are really different they can provide commentary on religion,blind ambition,artistic inspiration and most important of ecological one.In the whole anime there is the idea not that because these different worlds clash,the destruction of both of them is happening but they are only doing this to survive.ther needs to be found a balance and that ihat function mushishi is.There is also big tonal difference between episodes for instance in one it can heartwarming while in the second really creepy.I can talk about mushishi all day so I will just stop there.
Anyways I can not wait to see second part!
Galap

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:20 pm Reply with quote
daichi383 wrote:
That may be because most people who watch it get incredibly distracted by the damn pretty animation and are entranced by the whole thing until it ends and they get really sad then go watch Noein because its the closest thing to it. For me Birdy is the only show that has ever elicited such a raw emotional reaction from me. It made me cry at the end because you get to know the characters that are at odds so well and with the light time travel stuff it all comes together so well that its just astonishing. As a fan of animation in general, Birdy is just the perfect example of how great experimental animation can elevate an already good story to greatness.

Oh god. There are a certain 2 scenes in the show (and it's a testament to the power of those scenes that I'm sure you know exactly what I'm talking about just from me saying 'those 2 scenes'), that completely blew me away. The combination of the animation, characters, and what was happening makes those scenes probably the most powerful and intense things I've ever seen in any visual medium.
Catsan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Personally I would actually prefered to have heard THEIR Top 10 of the 00's. The actual shows they liked, not the ones they felt they had to say because of their professional advocation. I actual felt slightly insulted when Theron gave his reason for his selection. I would like to know his actual Top 10 as that would also help me to understand his reviews more, the same for the other panelists. I want to know your REAL choices and your REAL reasons for liking them as a lot of people get stick for their choices in anime so using a reason to not say your selection but still give one, nah thats BS.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I've heard Justin give his opinion that Spirited Away doesn't have a point a few times, and I have to say I disagree in the strongest possible terms. I think you could make that argument about a lot of Miyazaki's films (recent and not so recent) but to me Spirited Away isn't one of them. I think it has a very strong character development arc for Chihiro and it says a lot about maturity and responsibility, both in terms of learning to accept those things naturally as part of growing up and being forced to confront them too early by circumstances outside of your control.

Catsan wrote:
Personally I would actually prefered to have heard THEIR Top 10 of the 00's. The actual shows they liked, not the ones they felt they had to say because of their professional advocation.

You must have been listening to a different version of the podcast to the one I heard.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:17 pm Reply with quote
the moral relativism in Baccano was strange, I think it was trying to say that sometimes even people who do bad things are not always outright monsters

Baccano in general is a pretty weird show with a lot of seemingly contradictory things, it's a show filled with sometimes cute, lighthearted humor (Isaac and Miria being the chief example) but it also has shocking violence, a lot more than I was expecting
aquascor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:20 pm Reply with quote
OK since we have had the 80s, 90s and 00s, I say we get a top 10 of the 70s pre-80s (can include 50s/60s/70s and earlier).

Just a thought.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9