• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kodansha USA Adds Phoenix Wright, Monster Hunter, Deltora Quest

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy Negima! and Ninja Girls were picked up, but damn, I'm sad about School Rumble, Suzuka and Pastel Crying or Very sad
Weiss_Yohji

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
Weiss_Yohji wrote:
I have to wait till JUNE for more Air Gear? Seriously? How the hell long does it take to translate a single manga volume?

Keep in mind that it probably took them a little while to sort out new contracts for licenses, sort out the swicth from Del Rey to Kodansha Comics, have Kodansha Comics submit their plans to bookstores, before they had a chance to solicit the books- you usually have to solicit to bookstores 6 months in advance [compared to 2 for comic shops], so there's a lot of work involved. That's why we're not seeing these titles until the summer- that is 6 months from now, so they probably just sent out their solicitations to bookstores recently.

Another thing- The translations might of already been finished for Del Rey- comic pubs work in advance on most titles, so it seems it was moreso stuff fans don't think about [legal work, contracts, solicitations, book sellers] that takes a good while to sort out that made them take awhile to announce their plans.

Anyhoo, 6 months isn't that long, and it looks like it'll be bimonthly after that, and Del Rey experimenting a little with release schedules . Seriously, it's not that hard to wait- what would manga fans do if they had to wait for the latest issue of Danger Girl, All Star Batman, Ultimate X or Battle Chasers?

At least keep the pricing in line with other North American releases of manga. I have no idea what the usual pricing scheme is over in Godzilla's homeland, but I know I would not pay the same price for a manga as I would for a Steven King novel unless it's anything Osamu Tezuka did.
Fallen Wings

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Can anyone say "Yes!" - I'm excited about their jump to the American market :3
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Kodansha are pricing the books at 10.99 per volume, 19.99 for the Negima omnibuses- this is pretty standard pricing for manga [and is exactly what Del Rey charged], and in line with domestic b+w comics pricing as well. It's also around the same price as many paperbacks.

Manga might be cheaper in Japan, but Japan's a very small country, so it costs less to distribute books across it, and it also has far higher levels of manga sales- a book that sells 100000 copies in Japan is going to cost less to print per book than a book that sells 500 copies in the US, Canada, Great Britain,and Australia.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:23 pm Reply with quote
kuriousity wrote:
I was pleasantly surprised at how much information Kodansha Comics had today, I was honestly expecting much less. It's too bad we'll need to wait the six months but with the books going on a bi-monthly schedule after that, I think it's worth it.

You're much more optimistic than I am that the books will stay on a bimonthly release schedule. I'm expecting books to fall back to the quarterly (or worse) release pattern with the third book in each series that Kodansha releases. ^^; I'd _prefer_ bimonthly, but I'm not expecting it to stick around long... We'll find out eventually.
Redd the Sock

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Well, that's most of my Del rey titles so that's a load off my mind. Still, I need info on Moyashimon and School Rumble.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm interested in Bloody Monday and Cage of Eden, considering I haven't read 'em.

Good for Negima! - Magister Negi Magi, Negima!? Neo, Ninja Girls, Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei, and Fairy Tail to continue their release in U.S. (These titles I read)

Will they going to have Kodansha Comics imprint on the side-cover of the manga instead of Del Rey? (I'm confused)

Disappointed that Pumpkin Scissors, Yozakura Quartet, Code:Breaker, and Princess Resurrection aren't mentioned. Sad
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:05 am Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
bahamut623 wrote:

When did they say this? Tsubasa is done, so I'm assuming it applies to xxxHolic. I just started xxxHolic and am enjoying it, so I hope what you say is true. I'm worried about this and Moyasimon Sad

http://twitter.com/animealmanac/status/14037845954002944
"Tsubasa and xxxHolic will continue under the Del Rey brand, not Kodansha USA."

Animealmanac mentioned it while covering the event.

Huh... I remember them saying this, when they first announced they'd take over publication. Then I heard more recent, that they WOULD be taking over xxxHOLiC, since I remember a topic about people saying "oh I hope the covers will still match!" etc, and now once again, they say Del Ray would be doing it? I thought there was a huge thing about Del Ray folding up and leaving it ALL to Kodansha... Confused...

Oh, and I'm still keeping my ears open for a Sailor Moon announcement Smile
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:42 am Reply with quote
Wow, May until they release Del Rey's crop of manga. Couldn't have planned it abit sooner?

After finding out that Kondasha re-edited out the "Lesbian Sex Boat Scene" in Ghost in the Shell manga, I wasn't impressed that Kondasha can handle it's **** properly. This just adds icing to the cake.

We'll see. Hopefully they don't do something extraordinarily stupid.
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:59 am Reply with quote
Awesome, Shugo Chara gets finished after all.

...but uh, what are the odds that any of the previous volumes will see reprints? I had every opportunity to buy vl.8, not thinking it'd vanish into thin air, but alas, I can not find it anywhere.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:29 am Reply with quote
Yes! More Phoenix Wright manga! That is most excellent news!

Will be getting them most definitely.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tamaria

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:55 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Huh... I remember them saying this, when they first announced they'd take over publication. Then I heard more recent, that they WOULD be taking over xxxHOLiC, since I remember a topic about people saying "oh I hope the covers will still match!" etc, and now once again, they say Del Ray would be doing it? I thought there was a huge thing about Del Ray folding up and leaving it ALL to Kodansha... Confused...

Del Rey isn't folding, it's basically doing a big clean-up and Kodansha, who are using Random House's distribution channels, will take care of the manga titles from now on. Del Rey will continue to publish fantasy and science fiction novels. It's odd xxxHolic is still under the Del Rey imprint, but it's not impossible.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:08 am Reply with quote
Del Rey did good work, while I'm happy to see so many titles continuing (and waiting to hear about some others) I'm definitely going to have to take a wait and see approach till I know how Kodansha handles these titles.
A title like Negima for example had a lot of extra material after the story, is Kodansha going to continue this? No way to know for sure yet. I can't say that I'd stop buying a series that I want to keep reading, but if the quality drops enough, I'll be closing my wallet.
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:26 am Reply with quote
Yay for Bloody Monday! I had lost all hope of it ever being published in English. This news made my day ^^

Although you know what would make me even happier? If you announced the continuation of Alive: The Final Evolution. Please, please, please, don't abandon this series. The first eight volumes are waiting on my shelf and they are feeling very lonely...
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:13 pm Reply with quote
I WANT SAILOR MOON! I WANT SAILOR MOON! AND LIFE!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5