• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Maiden Japan Licenses Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:24 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
mdo7, are you sure that the series is using the Shindo Scale? Because if it is, and the equivalent is 9.5-10 on the MMS, then the quake would be the largest earthquake ever recorded in human history and completely flatten the entire city.

Unless someone can actually point out to me the specific instance where the Shindo Scale is mentioned in the show, I will continue to believe in the much more likely scenario of an 8.0 on the MMS.

Well you can read about Shindo Scale here, and it won't tell me when they first came out using this instead of the Richter scale. Also I can't find any information if the anime title Magnitude 8.0 is either referring to Shindo Scale or Richter Scale. But the Earthquake in Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 was powerful enough to bring down Tokyo tower, and assuming most of the building's are built with earthquake proof structure even got damage or collapse (did any other building with earthquake-proof structure collapse or heavily damage in the anime?) it looks like the earthquake in anime was probably a 9.5 to a 10 on a Richter Scale. I look at the picture, do a lot of bridges in Japan used earthquake proof material?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:36 am Reply with quote
I checked Wikipedia for the Shindo scale too, and it just doesn't fit. According to that same article, a 7.0 (Shindo) would damage every building, even quake-proof ones -which, with exceptions, is essentially what happens in the show. An 8.0 in Shindo (off-scales) should, as dtm42 said, flatten the city 2010-Haiti-like. I really don't believe the Shindo theory stands, when the kids' home was mostly undamaged. Apart from the initial episodes with the ground cracking and collapsing and of course thespoiler[ freaking Tokyo Tower] which I promise not to bring up again, there is nothing so outrageous to believe it is Shindo-based. Which is why it seems exaggerated and overly dramatic for an 8.0 Richter
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:46 am Reply with quote
I believe that in the show all they said was "magnitude of 8.0". They didn't specify which scale they were using. mdo7, you assume that the show used the Shindo Scale because that's what Japanese use, ignoring that the Japanese frequently use the internationally-recognised MMS as it allows for direct comparison with other quakes and to normalise earthquake standards. The MMS scale was used in the big 2011 quake for instance.

Besides, the Shindo Scale does not even measure the actual strength of the earthquake, only the apparent strength and damage which are highly subjective based on where you are in relation to the quake. This should have been obvious based on the very article you linked to. The MMS scale would still be needed to assess how strong the quake actually was.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:09 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I believe that in the show all they said was "magnitude of 8.0". They didn't specify which scale they were using. mdo7, you assume that the show used the Shindo Scale because that's what Japanese use, ignoring that the Japanese frequently use the internationally-recognised MMS as it allows for direct comparison with other quakes and to normalise earthquake standards. The MMS scale was used in the big 2011 quake for instance.

Besides, the Shindo Scale does not even measure the actual strength of the earthquake, only the apparent strength and damage which are highly subjective based on where you are in relation to the quake. This should have been obvious based on the very article you linked to. The MMS scale would still be needed to assess how strong the quake actually was.

Hey don't blame me, Furudanuki was the one that brought this up and I look it up and I thought it make sense. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:36 am Reply with quote
I e been wanting to see this for sometime, but I was figuring it would eventually receive a subonly release from Sentai. I was surprised when I first heard Maiden Japan had it and that they would not only be dubbing it, but also putting out their first bluray. (Siren isn't so great at keeping secrets, it appears.)

Since this is Matt Greenfield's company, I wonder if he will be working on the dub.
StormSky92

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:12 am Reply with quote
Awesome! I had given up hope of this being released in the US. I'm also happy it's so close too. Only a few months away.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:39 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
tangytangerine wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
What sort of company name is "Maiden Japan"?

Maiden... made in... made in Japan.

Ah.

It's basically a label under Section 23 that releases titles with strong female characters in the show.

Well, it's technically Switchblade Pictures' anime label (Switchblade is a J-Horror label under Section 23). But yeah, they do kinda stick with female-driven shows.

Just call it ADV. ^^
Etrien

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:48 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Experts predictions my a**, an 8.0 quake spoiler[making the Tokyo Tower collapse]? The 3/11 was 9-ish and it didn't cause half the destruction the show "predicted".[/spoiler]

dtm already touched on this, but I have to emphasize something that a lot of people seem to overlook about earthquakes: the magnitude at the epicenter is not the same magnitude that hits everywhere else.

Tokyo was never hit by a 9.0. The shocks felt in Tokyo were magnitude 5~6, due to the distance from the epicenter. Also, the magnitudes are logarithmic in strength. An 8.0 in Tokyo would be between 1,000 and 31,000 times more powerful than what they experienced on March 11th. While I can't say for certain if an 8.0 would indeed spoiler[destroy Tokyo Tower], I definitely also can't say that it wouldn't. The comparatively tiny 5.0~6.0 quake that did hit Tokyo was already enough to cause bring down several buildings, cause fires, liquefy the ground and, yes, even cause structural damage to Tokyo Tower. But the difference between that quake and an 8.0 actually centered in Tokyo is like comparing a rainstorm to a hurricane. An 8.0 would absolutely devastate Tokyo.

@aklaft and mdo7: The 8.0 in the title is referring to the MMS/Richter scale, not the JMA Shindo scale. For starters, the Shindo scale only goes to 7, which is all-encompassing. There is no "off the scale", as the 7 already denotes "and above", and also already implies total devastation. Second, the Shindo scale is denoted in whole numbers instead of decimal fractions (IE, "7", not "7.0"), with magnitude 5 and 6 each being divided into two categories.

@ikillchicken: While I can understand you feelings, for me it's entirely the opposite. Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 is a show that I never got around to back when it came out, but now I have a new-found interest in the show precisely because I did experience the March 11th earthquake.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:38 am Reply with quote
Etrien wrote:
CrowLia wrote:
Experts predictions my a**, an 8.0 quake spoiler[making the Tokyo Tower collapse]? The 3/11 was 9-ish and it didn't cause half the destruction the show "predicted".[/spoiler]

dtm already touched on this, but I have to emphasize something that a lot of people seem to overlook about earthquakes: the magnitude at the epicenter is not the same magnitude that hits everywhere else.

Tokyo was never hit by a 9.0. The shocks felt in Tokyo were magnitude 5~6, due to the distance from the epicenter. Also, the magnitudes are logarithmic in strength. An 8.0 in Tokyo would be between 1,000 and 31,000 times more powerful than what they experienced on March 11th. While I can't say for certain if an 8.0 would indeed spoiler[destroy Tokyo Tower], I definitely also can't say that it wouldn't. The comparatively tiny 5.0~6.0 quake that did hit Tokyo was already enough to cause bring down several buildings, cause fires, liquefy the ground and, yes, even cause structural damage to Tokyo Tower. But the difference between that quake and an 8.0 actually centered in Tokyo is like comparing a rainstorm to a hurricane. An 8.0 would absolutely devastate Tokyo.

@aklaft and mdo7: The 8.0 in the title is referring to the MMS/Richter scale, not the JMA Shindo scale. For starters, the Shindo scale only goes to 7, which is all-encompassing. There is no "off the scale", as the 7 already denotes "and above", and also already implies total devastation. Second, the Shindo scale is denoted in whole numbers instead of decimal fractions (IE, "7", not "7.0"), with magnitude 5 and 6 each being divided into two categories.

@ikillchicken: While I can understand you feelings, for me it's entirely the opposite. Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 is a show that I never got around to back when it came out, but now I have a new-found interest in the show precisely because I did experience the March 11th earthquake.

Well I guess that answer my question (along with other) about the title on Tokyo magnitude 8.0 using Richter Scale or Shindo Scale. Thanks for clarifying that, that was somewhat confusing if the magnitude used in the anime is Shindo or Richter.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:08 pm Reply with quote
FINALLY!!! I never would have expected this title to get picked up. I've really wanted this series. THANK YOU!!!

Now the question of bilingual, does that mean they'll have a dub for English is well? Not that I need it but I just want to clarify.

Now is anyone ANYONE going to release DENNOU COIL???
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:53 pm Reply with quote
@ Chrno2 - I think most of us are assuming bilingual refers to an English dub. Section 23 (of which Maiden Japan is a part) has never released a sub-only BD yet, so I think we are safe in assuming there will be an English dub.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
The first R1 licensing announcement of the year (I believe) and a very welcome one, imo. Loved this title and can't wait to see it on my HDTV.

Maiden Japan has not released anything on BD yet, so it'll probably be the same with this. Plus, the only title it has released with a dub is Vampire Princess Miyu which is a license rescue with a pre-existing dub, so I wouldn't count on there being one for 8.0.

Doesn't matter that much to me, I'm just jazzed to have the chance to own it.

eta: oops, guess I should have read the article first. Nice to see MJ getting into the BD/hybrid biz.

Yup, very cool to see that side do a BD/hybrid, and pleasantly surprised this is getting a dub after such a long wait for it to get licensed (This is Section 23's first dub under their Maiden Japan side too I think?). This is really cool that we're finally getting this show!

I agree Chrno2, it's about time we got Dennou Coil, that was an awesome show, I'd preorder especially on BD as soon as that were to go up on the store sites.

Red Fox of Fire wrote:
Dual audio? Blu-ray? Please take my money. I thought this wasn't even going to get a release at all.

Yeah, I will be buying this. Smile
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

It's been released in Australasia; I bought my copy using a gift voucher I got for Christmas. If you have a region-free DVD player you could always import it.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:06 am Reply with quote
Great! Glad to see this series is getting an English release. It has been on my "to watch list" for quite awhile. Since I'm trying to watch everything by Studio BONES, this show is a MUST!
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ Chrno2 - I think most of us are assuming bilingual refers to an English dub. Section 23 (of which Maiden Japan is a part) has never released a sub-only BD yet, so I think we are safe in assuming there will be an English dub.

That's right. Then again they did sort of take over where ADV Films died off, so it would make sense they would have bilingual release. I wasn't sure because somehow I assumed that their releases were subbed only not realizing they weren't [despite owning some of their releases]. I should have known based on what I DID know, I must've somehow forgotten. Thanks for reminding me.

dtm42 wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

It's been released in Australasia; I bought my copy using a gift voucher I got for Christmas. If you have a region-free DVD player you could always import it.

Yeah, I'm more than aware of that. I already have region-free player and I really want the series, so I've been plenty tempted. But I just can't see myself plopping down money anymore for imports that may end up getting released here. I've already spent countless dollars importing stuff on LD and DVD, and the end result was that the shows that I didn't expect to come over FINALLY did (ie. - Brigadoon, Space Pirate Mito, Shin Getter Robo, and Devilman Lady, etc...). So if someone can take the chance and pick up 'Tokyo Magnitude 8.0' then there's hope for a release for 'Dennou Coil', because that is a show that is deserving of a release here and a good dub would help it reach a much wider range fans.

Right now there are 8 shows (there's more but I'm only considering the "really wants") I want to own DVD. Sweet Blue Flowers, Sasameki Koto, Dennou Coil, School Days, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, the rest of the Higurashi series, including all the specials, Umineko and Re: Cutie Honey. So far 3 of those titles have been released (even though Umineko is still on BD and I'm waiting for a regular release). So companies hear my plea, 'cause I'm crossing my fingers really, really HARD. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4