• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nikkei: ADK, Toei, Aniplex, Sunrise, TMS, NAS, Dentsu to Stream Anime Overseas

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hawkwing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:14 am Reply with quote
Overseas, does that mean NA exclusive?

I would like a confirmation list on which countries this service will or aims to be available in.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:06 am Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
500+ titles is enticing however you slice it, and it would be truly great watch to titles that have never been shown in North America and elsewhere.

That actually could work better than if they just compete show-for-show with the services in place now.

Sam Murai wrote:
It sounds like the kind of venture that could make Crunchyroll develop beads of sweat, too, but execution and follow-through is everything and the recent English niconico anime try has, at least for now, fizzled, despite its good sides.

Even with their resources, ADK & Co. are more of the ones facing an uphill battle in trying to conceive a viable and attractive-enough service. As for pre-existing venues like CR (in particular, as a chiefly-streaming company), FUNimation, and The Anime Network, I'd say there could be problems, but why deny yourself some extra, in-place revenue (unless consolidation is the point)? There is already cross-coverage among them, Hulu, Crackle, YouTube, and elsewhere, so there is still some hope…

Agreed.

They better be up to speed fast, because the numbers are what attract advertisers, and they won't have any unless they have a comparable product. Crunchyroll is still going to be a better buy in the minds of advertising agencies. Daisuki is going to have to operate in the black for quite a while and build up subscriptions and audience.

Frankly, I think that we will get another NicoNico situation where they have all the technical problems and low resolution streams. People won't like what they are seeing and Crunchyroll with still get the audience. They may steal some simulcasts for a few seasons, but these studios who are signing up with Daisuki now, will end up putting the shows on Crunchyroll when they aren't getting the viewership.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:26 am Reply with quote
Caloris wrote:
Why is streaming such a "big" thing?

I have no desire to stream anime (or anything else). I would much prefer to have the file stored locally to watch, and not require an active internet connection draining limited bandwidth quota.

I agree with this. I do buy plenty of anime on DVD/BD and I'm a paid subscriber to Crunchyroll, so it's not like I don't support the industry, but I have ADHD and trying to watch anything streaming online is a nightmare for me because it's so easy to get distracted, if they aren't going to offer DVDs/BDs I'd much rather pay a reasonable price to download to own (with options for different file sizes because I don't get that many GB of internet usage per month) and then watch it while not connected to the internet.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It aims to gain about 3 million members in five years.

Back-of-the envelope calculations tell me that's:

• Far greater than the combined attendance of all US anime conventions in 2012 (the Top 10 combined total around 250,000)
  • Double the number of Hulu+ subscibers as of January 2012 (most recent number I could find)
  • 30 times the current paid membership of Crunchyroll
  • Just under one out of every 100 US citizens

If this service is English-only, North America-only, a goal of 3 million subscribers in 5 years doesn't seem in any way realistic.
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:59 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Quote:

Back-of-the envelope calculations tell me that's:

• Far greater than the combined attendance of all US anime conventions in 2012 (the Top 10 combined total around 250,000)
  • Double the number of Hulu+ subscibers as of January 2012 (most recent number I could find)
  • 30 times the current paid membership of Crunchyroll
  • Just under one out of every 100 US citizens

If this service is English-only, North America-only, a goal of 3 million subscribers in 5 years doesn't seem in any way realistic.

For one, it says "overseas" not North America-only. I know that Animax has been broadcasting on English language stations in southeast Asia since 2004, so even if it is English-only, that doesn't restrict it to North America, England, and Australia. As a matter of fact, four of the six studios involved in Daisuki are also partners in Animax.

As for the impact on Crunchyroll and Funimation's streaming services, remember that this is a project of 6 studios (and a marketing firm). The chances that other studios would put their anime on this service is pretty low, as they would essentially be lining the pockets of their competitors. They will continue to seek deals from established services like CR and Funi. It may decrease the number of titles available for CR and Funi to stream, but that just opens up their dollars for more of the titles from companies that are not Daisuki partners.

Also, Funi will still seek some of the anime streamed by Daisuki for home video distribution. The only impact there, I would think, would be that they would either only acquire home video rights or get streaming rights after the series has ended instead of seeking simulcast rights as well.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:28 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
For one, it says "overseas" not North America-only.

I hope you're right. As I said in the other thread, it would be great to see them finally take care of fans in Europe, South America, Australasia, etc.
Quote:
I know that Animax has been broadcasting on English language stations in southeast Asia since 2004, so even if it is English-only, that doesn't restrict it to North America, England, and Australia.

The article says "the venture will also stream live programs to anime fans in English", but I suppose that doesn't rule out other languages for things other than "live programs".

And if the service truly is worldwide and counts any registered users (not paying subscribers), that 3 million figure would be significantly more plausible.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:29 pm Reply with quote
For Sunrise.. they're part of Namco Bandai and with Bandai Entertainment and Beez gone they have no specific home over here for their titles.

zensunni wrote:
For one, it says "overseas" not North America-only.

It wouldn't be the first time "overseas" has meant North America-only (or "worldwide" has somehow excluded the UK).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:36 pm Reply with quote
The real strength of this service could lie in the back catalog that these companies have. There is so much we all haven't seen and if the capabilities are there, I'd pay for this new service.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
The real strength of this service could lie in the back catalog that these companies have. There is so much we all haven't seen and if the capabilities are there, I'd pay for this new service.

Yes, that is a big part of it ~ especially if they can offer a large catalog worldwide ex-Japan. The lack of a strong catalog was a signal weakness of the Anime-on-Demand, after all.

Caloris wrote:
Why is streaming such a "big" thing?

I have no desire to stream anime (or anything else). I would much prefer to have the file stored locally to watch, and not require an active internet connection draining limited bandwidth quota.

Due to people who are different from you. For instance, between clicking on a Roku channel and picking a show, and having to have my computer running to stream to my Roku with Plex or something similar, I prefer the first. Between turning on my Nook Color and picking the Crunchyroll app or paying an arm and a leg for a legit download per episode or messing around with torrenting bootlegs and sideloading it onto my Nook, I prefer the first, as long as adequate WiFi is available. The only time I prefer downloaded content is in transit when traveling.

Unlike music, lots of people only want to see a majority of their visual media once, and among those, many HAVE adequate WiFi bandwidth, so streaming their view-once media and only buying physical discs or digital downloads of what they want to watch again makes a lot of sense.

People who developed the habit of buying to watch may not act that way ~ and those who do not have adequate bandwidth to stream at their desired video quality may prefer downloads for watch-once content as well. So it makes sense to also develop digital download rental and digital download to own segments of the market. The ideal would encourage digital download rental as try before you buy by discounting the rental price if you then proceed to buy the digital download.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm half nervous/ half excited about this. Nervous because I don't want anything bad to happen to CR which I've come to see as a dependable source of streams, but excited because it may mean access to titles that we currently don't have. But as many others have pointed out, at this point we have more questions than answers.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Wow this is interesting. Hope this takes off. Seems like things are picking up in getting anime streamed legally. It's great news.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:27 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
I feel sorry for Crunchyroll and Funimation... This might turn out like Kodansha and Del Rey, except digital.

ikillchicken wrote:
I want to be positive about this. I'm really trying to be positive about this. A unified streaming service for anime could be a really good thing for fans. But man...this is kinda terrifying. I mean...that list is pretty much everybody. Almost all the major players in the industry. And the fact that all these companies are actually buying ownership tells me it isn't just an experimental "throw a couple shows on there and see how we do". This is something they're pretty serious about. How this works out will have an absolutely massive impact on the anime industry. Hell, as far as streaming goes this could basically be the anime industry. ...

I don't intend to rain on anybody's panic parade ...

... but do consider the upside as well.

Its always been in the interest of developing the streaming market to stream worldwide ex-Japan. However, because international streaming revenues have been distinctly third tier income sources, far behind domestic home video and subscription television, and substantially behind domestic streaming and international home video, the interests of developing the streaming market only occasionally dominate the considerations that interfere with worldwide ex-Japan licensing.

One of the problems that can generate regional restrictions is production committees slicing and dicing streaming rights along with other kinds of rights, so multiple contracts would be required to get beyond one specific license region. Another is licensing a bundle of rights to a home video distributor including exclusive streaming rights, so multiple contracts are required to get beyond whatever streaming rights that sublicensor obtained. Another is a reluctance to license streams in an area when negotiations for rights are underway

The financial hurdle that is encountered when rights get sliced and diced in various ways is contracting costs. The average gross revenue expected from each contract has to cover the contracting costs to both side, or there is no point in pursuing the contract. And the information passed on from industry insiders is that even for Crunchyroll, with millions of members and 100,000+ subscribers, the contracting costs of multiple contracts for the same title cannot be sustained. Crunchyroll gets coverage outside of North America based on what regions it can include in the same contract as North America. And so we see the hodge podge of English Language Countries contracts, English Language plus Norse Countries, North and South America, sometimes plus Spain and Portugal, the Americas, Africa and the Middle East, worldwide outside Asia, worldwide outside Japan, etc.

But if the international licensors are pre-committed to vesting a certain set of streaming rights with this new joint venture, look at what happens. First, their financial interest in the streaming increase per dollar gross revenue, because there is no per title contracting cost. Second, they will all be committing to the same terms, so there is uniformity in streaming rights they are using. They will just write any home video rights contracts or broadcast rights to be compatible with their standing commitment to the joint venture.

And third, they can offer streaming rights to another streaming company on a block package deal basis, slashing contracting costs on both sides. For example, both sides could agree to a standard per title MG and standard residual royalty terms for all series NOT acquired by a home video distributor. That might be on Crunchyroll with a week delay, or for premium members only worldwide ex-Japan (or both) ... but Crunchyroll can be paying LESS per title with the licensors netting MORE from Crunchyroll and Crunchyroll netting MORE from the deal ... because of a single contract covering a fairly large number of titles. Crunchyroll would still pursue actual simulcasts from licensors not in the joint venture, and as sublicenses from home video licensees, and so would still have a set of actual simulcasts in its lineup ... but the seasonal streams picked from the this consortium would guarantee a broader selection, and a baseline of guaranteed worldwide seasonal streams for members outside the privileged regions of the Americas, UK & Ireland, Australia & NZ, South Africa, and the Norse Countries that get access to 50%+ of simulcasts streaming on the site.

As far as speculation that Crunchyroll may be involved as a work-for-hire participant and/or eventual contract partner ... look at the list and their background in streaming on Crunchyroll (production credits only), just a sampling:
Dentsu ~ Bleach, Beelzebub, Bunny Drop (ending its CR run tomorrow)
Aniplex ~ SAO, Durarara, Occult Academy, tsuritama, etc.
Sunrise ~ Gintama', Phi Brain, Gundam catalog titles
Toei ~ Saint Seiya, Air Master, Digimon
NAS ~ Eyeshield 21, Kaasan - Mom's Life, You and Me
TMS ~ Bakamastu Gijindin Roman, Brave 10, Galaxy High School

All of these have been members of production committees working with Crunchyroll (some titles under direct licenses, some titles under sublicenses, many listed under that company as the publisher of the title). So if there is a win-win available out there from cutting back on per-title contracting costs, this set of companies would be well positioned to understand the opportunity, and all would be familiar with the process of delivering materials to Crunchyroll for simulcast.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Interesting! Over 500 titles sound pretty damn good to me... there are so many titles from those companies that aren't available on dvd that I'd love to see. Like Turn A Gundam for example. I've always wanted to see that one.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:58 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

Seriously? Did you not read where I said...

ikillchicken wrote:
I want to be positive about this. I'm really trying to be positive about this. A unified streaming service for anime could be a really good thing for fans.

But no...obviously I'm just having a "panic parade" and refusing to consider the upside. Rolling Eyes
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Ortensia1980 wrote:
Interesting! Over 500 titles sound pretty damn good to me... there are so many titles from those companies that aren't available on dvd that I'd love to see. Like Turn A Gundam for example. I've always wanted to see that one.

Especially if the "overseas" distribution for the catalog titles means broad international streaming with few or no region blocking outside of Japan. After the experience of JManga, with North American rights only at first until the rollout of much broader regional availability of most titles, Its the regional availability of the catalog titles that we'll be looking at first to get a clue whether this is going to be a hit or a flop.

invalidname wrote:
Quote:

... If this service is English-only, North America-only, a goal of 3 million subscribers in 5 years doesn't seem in any way realistic.

As noted, we don't know the reach ... but if this includes streaming catalog titles that they hold the original distribution rights to where some or all of the original international licenses have lapsed, it seems like broad international access would make sense.

But it does say they are aiming for both ad and fee revenue, so 3m may be just registered members, no paying subscribers.

ikillchicken wrote:
agila61 wrote:

Seriously? Did you not read where I said...
ikillchicken wrote:
I want to be positive about this. I'm really trying to be positive about this. A unified streaming service for anime could be a really good thing for fans.

Of course I did, I had to get through the "Oh, I WANT to be positive about this" qualifier in order to arrive at the "BUT ..." that it is paving the way for.

Indeed, simply the fact that it doesn't have to hit the unified streaming service jackpot in order to be able to deliver a positive outcome all around makes for a less gloomy picture than you paint.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5