• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Wolf Children, SAO, Kuroko's Basketball Win Tokyo Anime Awards

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:34 am Reply with quote
GrayArchon wrote:
Unfortunately for you, that's not a fact, it's your opinion.

And you thinking that I am merely expressing my personal opinion is your own opinion, one that is wrong. In other words, your opinion of my statement is wrong.

You need to read up on what are facts and what are opinions. Sword Art Online is by every objective measure not the best show of 2012. Not by writing quality, not by quality of its direction, not by artistry quality, not by animation quality, not by musical quality*, not even by sale numbers. That it is not the best is fact. You can deny fact all you like, but that doesn't make you correct.

Yes, its music, animation and art were pretty good (especially the backgrounds), but there are other shows with better examples of each.
dan9999

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:21 am Reply with quote
AnimeDuelist15 wrote:
I can't believe so many people are hating on Kuroko no Basket.

I totally understand the SAO hate, but Kuroko? I loved that series to death and I am beyond hyped for the second season. I was under the impression that Kuroko was actually a "Good" series.

This is the problem with the bulk of contemporary fans, and particularly a certain crowd: BLIND LOVE.

The thing with Kuroko is not hate, I loved Kuroko too, and no way in hell it can win any "best" awards. It was good, AWESOME, but not the best, there were better series.

Awards should go only to the objectively best, and yes, one can always be sufficiently objective to pull it off.

And nope, theres no SAO hate either, only people that did not like it, most of the time providing arguments, but again: BLIND LOVE, those madly love with it will effectively reject any arguments against what they are madly in love and quickly and easily label it "hate" and "haters".

Theres no "hating whats popular" for the hell of it either, when something is hugely popular, evidently its exposed to vast numbers of people, its only natural that it gather considerable amount of people that dont like it just as it won huge followers.

The problem is when those that loved it quickly blow things out of proportion and in the heat of things while it remains hugely popular start labeling it the greatest thing ever, best of the year, etc, etc.

Love is blind. Only a few can remain objective enough to love something but accept it could not be the best and/or threes genuinely better stuff out there. Many times not evening knowing what else its out there! You cannot expect people to remain silent when this kind of stuff happens.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:12 am Reply with quote
^ Agreed. I haven't watched the Kuroko anime, but I recently caught up with the manga and I'm insanely obsessed with it. That being said, the plot is overall very silly (fun, but silly), and the artstyle is nothing to make home about. Definitely not "Best anime of the year"

Let's not even get started about SAO. I didn't watch even half of what got released, and yet, there are still at least a dozen series from the ones I watched that are overall superior to SAO, in plot, characterization -extremely poor and average in SAO- and even in music, art and animation -which are supposed to be SAO's stronger ponts-
誤称

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:14 am Reply with quote
Wow, people don't know what objectively means.

Your subjective opinions mean nothing, Jon Snow.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:42 am Reply with quote
GrayArchon wrote:

So, in other words, if a popular series that you like wins an award, it was totally deserved based on on it's quality and merits. If a popular series that you don't like wins an award, it just won because it was a popular best selling series because it's quality and merits are irrelevant.

Yeah, that's not how it works.

Quote:
Again, just because you believe a series doesn't have merit, doesn't mean that it doesn't have merit, or that others think it has merit. Saying "I am not the only one with a very low opinions of SAO" is invalid in attacking it as it is in defending it. So yes, I'm pretty sure it won on it's merit. Granted, what decided the judges is hard to say, "best series" is pretty subjective. Still it's doubtful they went "So which series were the most popular this year? Ok, let's pick a couple at random."

You seem to be missing my point. I am not just saying if I like the series it is okay that it won or if I dislike the series it is not okay.

While SAO has its fans and defenders, it is pretty much critically panned.

There are a lot of films that I dislike that win awards but usually they aren't ones that got such bad receptions in the first place.
誤称

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:52 am Reply with quote
What critics? Blowhard X on the internets? Sure. Everyone is a critic, but the sites that matter like FandomPost and ANN did not pan this show.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:13 am Reply with quote
誤称 wrote:
What critics? Blowhard X on the internets? Sure. Everyone is a critic, but the sites that matter like FandomPost and ANN did not pan this show.

I don't recall glowing reviews either. ANN gave the story a C+ that is hardly critically well received.

Not that reviews here have anything to do with Japan.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:22 am Reply with quote
@誤称

Bad example.

First off, ANN and FandomPost are hardly the last word when it comes to determining a show's quality (or lack thereof). Neither site's opinion is considered to be gospel. Though, I don't know of any site that is considered to have such an influential opinion except perhaps the user rankings at MAL.

Secondly, and far more relevant to the discussion at hand, neither site mentioned Sword Art Online in the 2012 'best of' lists. So even if their words are true, you would be forced to accept that Sword Art Online wasn't amongst the top dogs of 2012 and therefore should not be receiving these prizes.

Edit: looks like Chris Beveridge did put the show at #2. Huh. Well, the other people at FandomPost didn't put it on their lists at all (Chris Kirby especially didn't like it), so I suppose you can't say that FandomPost unanimously endorses the show.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:29 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
While SAO has its fans and defenders, it is pretty much critically panned.

And what makes some random reviewers opinions more important than the hundreds of thousands of people (according to MAL) who watched and really liked it? Its one of the highest rated shows of 2012 among fans there... and really, fans are what matter most since they are the majority and who anime are really made for, not people who try to nit pick and find reasons to not enjoy something like a critic. If a show is fun to watch, then they've done their job... and SAO was among the most fun anime of 2012.

http://i.minus.com/jYuiflH3A3qzY.jpg

Basically, they picked 2 of the top 9 anime that Western fans reviewed the highest of 2012. Also I'd assume they try to avoid sequels for this stuff (which is the only reason I can see putting Sword Art Online over Fate/Zero 2), so if you ignore sequels, its the 4th best show of the year. Don't see the issue.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:04 am Reply with quote
^
Yet another person who is confusing popularity with quality. You know better than to be making that mistake, so I am disappointed that it has to be pointed out to you yet again.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:07 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
Yet another person who is confusing popularity with quality. You know better than to be making that mistake, so I am disappointed that it has to be pointed out to you yet again.

Popularity means the amount of people who watch it. It has nothing to do with an average score... Naruto and Bleach are popular yet are rated low on MAL because with so many votes coming in, many people will vote them low. But nearly everyone voted SAO high that watched it.

Its just vocal haters who don't like it.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:14 am Reply with quote
^
And also people with taste and actual standards.

You know darn well what "popularity" means; things that are popular. And "popular" means:

regarded with favor, approval, or affection by people in general

Arguing semantics when your semantics are not even correct (let alone relevant) is kind of cynical.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:18 am Reply with quote
So basically you're trying to argue that it doesn't matter if everyone likes a show... all that matters is if you don't like it, its factually bad?

What an elitist way of looking at things.

Last edited by RyanSaotome on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:18 am Reply with quote
So does that mean despite fully acknowledging all the flaws that SAO had but still liking it a lot mean I have no taste or standards?
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:29 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
So basically you're trying to argue that it doesn't matter if everyone likes a show... all that matters is if you don't like it, its factually bad?

No, not at all. I'm saying that it doesn't matter if lots of people like a show, what matters is its objective quality. The two - popularity and quality - often do not agree with one another, so you can't use one to infer the other. Which is what you so often do.

getchman wrote:
So does that mean despite fully acknowledging all the flaws that SAO had but still liking it a lot mean I have no taste or standards?

Nah, I was just giving a rather scathing off-the-cuff reply to RyanSaotome, I didn't actually mean that. I like plenty of bad shows myself, and I do consider myself to have taste and standards. People like yourself who know how bad Sword Art Online is but still like it anyway are perfectly entitled to think that way and I have no problem with them. The people I actually have a problem with are those that believe that any and all criticism of their favourite shows is just haters hating rather than objective analysis. I also don't like those who insist that any writing problems are irrelevant or even non-existent as long as a work is popular, as if popularity is some magical armour that protects works from criticism.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5