• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sword Art Online to Air on Toonami Starting in August

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SiLVER820

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Although I don't like SAO, I'll probably check out an episode or two. Cheramie Leigh's performances have grown on me lately.
captokita

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:30 pm Reply with quote
I LIKE SAO, it's not the worst thing I've seen, but I'm NOT going to drop $90 per BD disc to own it. I don't care what "extras" they want to throw in to try to make it worth it. That's just too much to dish out on a so-so series. (~$360 total)

Cool that it's going onto Toonami though.
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Kind of off topic but apparently SAO isn't the show Toonami picked up to replace Tenchi GXP either. Really curious what show it'll turn out to be.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Well at least this shows their willingness to pick up newer series. Too bad the second half is so terrible.
Galap

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Not my thing, but seeing as it's a super big hit, I think it's a good idea. Hopefully will pave the way for other new series.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:02 pm Reply with quote
OH-HO-HO-HO-HOOO NOOOOOOO!! Oh noooooo!! Laughing

Wow, that felt so field for me! Just.... wow!
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Sasukeuzi wrote:
o god im not happy about this. now SAO is gonna be more mainstream that it ever has been mainstream. if this becomes the new Naruto/Bleach i will just rage so hard that one of my favorite series is being watched by almost all the casuals.
(Likes the light novel series better and does agree the anime was a kind of bad adaptation btw)

Wouldn't an anime series becoming "mainstream" be a good thing?

Although I'm not sure a 26-episode show can achieve that fleet. It can gain a following, yes, but it's rare for a show that short to get popular on Pokemon, Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon, Bleach, and Naruto levels. The closest is probably Cowboy Bebop.

As for Aniplex's DVDs/Blu-rays... I'll see if I can rig one of my players to play the UK or Australian releases. Like hell I'm paying those prices. Why can't Aniplex's releases cost the same as their Baccano Blu-ray set (26 episodes for $50)?
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:23 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
As for Aniplex's DVDs/Blu-rays... I'll see if I can rig one of my players to play the UK or Australian releases. Like hell I'm paying those prices. Why can't Aniplex's releases cost the same as their Baccano Blu-ray set (26 episodes for $50)?

Baccanos box set came out a long time after its Japanese release, and it wasn't even a popular series in Japan to begin with.. so theres not much worry about reverse importation. While with SAO, they are bringing over one of the most popular anime in the last couple years within a month or two of Japanese release. Releasing it at a lower price point would just be inviting reverse importation.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Are they sure this is a good idea?
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Well that cool but it most likely be at 2am
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure the demographic expecting an epic gaming series will love the generic romance plot that takes up most of the show.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I personally never had any interest in watching SAO, mostly from the premise (I'm not a fan of MMORPGs, and I got the sense the show would spend a good deal of time focusing on relationships, which also isn't my cup of tea), and because the character designs carry a modern otaku-anime aesthetic I'm not much a fan of. I especially lost interest when I heard about some of the controversial/disappointing elements in the second half of the series.

Anyways, dotHack had a similar premise to SAO, and IIRC it did well on Toonami (though I suppose it's not considered a "classic" Toonami show, since Toonami fans don't seem to bring it up as often when they reminisce on the classic lineup). I guess we'll see how well SAO fares.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:16 pm Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
I'm sure the demographic expecting an epic gaming series will love the generic romance plot that takes up most of the show.

This is exactly what I meant. Toonami appeals to dudebro types who only like mindless action; much like most of modern society, they abhor thinking.

Now, while SAO requires almost no thought to watch (given that you'd have to be braindead not to notice the immense writing and characterization flaws in it), the emphasis on the (bad) romance will turn off the viewers. The fact that said romance is badly written, rushed, awkward, and hilariously unrealistic is worse.
Aldora07

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I have been wanting to watch this for some time, so I am really excited Very Happy Also, this show shouldn't be too much of a risk given that Cartoon Network has aired much of the dotHack anime, which I enjoyed. I'm not sure if I could support those dvd/blu-ray prices though.
IInuYasha

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:30 pm Reply with quote
This is great news! I wanted to buy the series originally but once I saw the prices for the four Blu-ray sets it completely changed my mind. I'm so glad this is happening.

As for Blue Exorcist I'll for sure end up forking over the money for the Blu-ray releases of the dubbed version. I loved that show when it was airing in 2011, so I'll be more than glad to pay up for the dub.

All over great news here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10