• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - How's That Visual Novel Coming?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kouryuu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:15 pm Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:
BTW, does your system accept debit cards backed by a MasterCard/Visa? In the U.S. those are treated like a Credit Card by online companies (even though the money is taken directly out of the bank account).

Well I was just inquiring about hard copies more than anything (since I thought the company was U.S. based I thought they were selling them in that format but that's been cleared up). The digital download method seems a better set up for this sort of thing to me, seeing it cuts out everything from postage to customs. I have to admit my interest is peaked in checking one of these visual novels out but I'd have to find out how my card companies would react to my buying something overseas or if they'd even notice

Well, Hendane is based out of San Francisco, so no worries about conversion fees if you're order the hard-copy of Da Capo through them.

As for debit cards, yes, Visa and Master Card debit cards do work just as fine as credit cards. In fact, some of our more worried customers have told us that they've successfully used pre-paid Visa credit/debit cards with our website before.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I only care about ef and eden* and am disappointed to see no mentioning at all here Crying or Very sad

H2O and its sequel, Root, would be a nice pickup considering how different the anime was from the game.
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Visual novel are not RPG or JRPG.

They are different things. Unless the internet came up new definition again.

Final Fantasy are not Visual novel. Persona 3 and 4 are not
Visual novel or Visual novel RPG. They are just RPG with dating sim in it. There are 18+ JRPG, but they have no dating sim or visual novel element in it.

There are mods for JRPGs that's on PC like ZWEI 2.
If a JRPG is not on PC, there is nothing you can do about it.
Since FF7 is on PC you can find mod for FF7. But you can't mods FF13 characters.

there are mods for hentai games like Illusion's Sexy Beach.
Most players don't consider those games are visual novel because it has no story and it's all about the sex. they are normally fan translated into English because it's so easy to translate those games even I can do it.

Hentai is not consider visual novel. OR Visual novel are all Hentai games. There are alot of all age Visual novel in PS3, xbox 360.
Hentai games can be Card games(like Blackjack, Mahjong ..), RPG, Sim(like Sim City, The Sims), even shooter, racing.

The problem is there are some ignorant people think a Mahjong game is Visual novel just because it has sex images in the game.

According to Nintendo VNs are games. According to Sony Japan, Microsoft Japan they are games. According to Sony American, Microsoft American they are not games.
I think Sonny and MS are just bully small companies. If Konami wants to release Tokimeki Memorial in NA, they will have no choice but to let them do it.

The best post so far as to getting the genre right.
VNs are adventure games, that means they have NO(or very little) GAMEPLAY, it's part of the genre.

Quote:
An adventure game is a video game in which the player assumes the role of protagonist in an interactive story driven by exploration and puzzle-solving instead of physical challenge. The genre's focus on story allows it to draw heavily from other narrative-based media such as literature and film, encompassing a wide variety of literary genres
from wikpedia

Does appear to be using visual novel in here for all bishoujo games for some reason, not just text heavy graphic advenure games
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:54 pm Reply with quote
kouryuu wrote:
MeggieMay wrote:
BTW, does your system accept debit cards backed by a MasterCard/Visa? In the U.S. those are treated like a Credit Card by online companies (even though the money is taken directly out of the bank account).

Well I was just inquiring about hard copies more than anything (since I thought the company was U.S. based I thought they were selling them in that format but that's been cleared up). The digital download method seems a better set up for this sort of thing to me, seeing it cuts out everything from postage to customs. I have to admit my interest is peaked in checking one of these visual novels out but I'd have to find out how my card companies would react to my buying something overseas or if they'd even notice

Well, Hendane is based out of San Francisco, so no worries about conversion fees if you're order the hard-copy of Da Capo through them.

As for debit cards, yes, Visa and Master Card debit cards do work just as fine as credit cards. In fact, some of our more worried customers have told us that they've successfully used pre-paid Visa credit/debit cards with our website before.

That's good to know. I'm not sure if the pre-paid card route is one I want to take or not but the thought of acquiring and using one of those in this case had occurred to me, so thanks for the information. Also, I noticed the poster before this post mentioned that there free demo's and I just found them on the 18+ side of the site. That seems like a good way to find out what I think of visual novels, as well as if the adult version is of any interest or if the All Ages might be a better fit. So I'll try out one of those and see what I think about it (and I'm way over 18, FWIW, so going to that side of the site wasn't a problem).
Hardgear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:49 pm Reply with quote
SOOOO true about the dragon in the Fate/Stay Night anime.

I watched the anime before the visual novel, and I could not help but laugh my ass off at the scene cause it was obvious what was actually happening.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4