• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Turning 100

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:01 pm Reply with quote
kittycatgirl2k wrote:
I love Nuku Nuku too! I definitely think it is Shelf Worthy as well... the OVA was one of the first anime I bought on DVD and still love to watch it. That catgirl is just such a fun character. Those Who Hunt Elves is definitely not Trash!

Feel free to tell us why.
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:55 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Shiki MSHTS wrote:
Partially because of the sheer volume of reviewed stuff crammed into the column, but also that because they're thinpaks (or box sets, whatever),

Actually, I'm not even done yet. This week was just all the boxsets I had sitting on hand. I'll be doing Part II next time with all the other boxsets that were released, that I didn't have, like all the Bandai and Geneon stuff. Along with regular shelf life. I don't know how I'm going to format it yet. ;p

Yey! Geneon. =D
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
kittycatgirl2k

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Feel free to tell us why.

I said in an earlier post that I liked the bear that shats toliet paper rolls but maybe that's not a big enough selling point. The show is just played for fun. You have three completely different people from the "modern day world" that are dropped off in the middle of a fantasy land and they are just trying to find their way back home. This involves finding the spell pieces that scattered onto the bodies of various elves when the elf sorceress screwed up the spell to send them home. The characters are just so much fun (especially the girl with the tank). Each ep is self contained pretty much as they follow another lead to get them closer to home. Everything is totally whacky and played for laughs which makes it so much fun to watch. The jokes fly fast and furious sometimes and it also ranks with me as one of those shows that most anyone can get into whether they are into anime or not.

If you like Slayers, Sorcerer Hunters or Rune Soldier then this is a must-check out. The first season IS much stronger than the second, but it has its moments as well.

I loved it anyway. Very Happy
biliano

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:42 pm Reply with quote
kittycatgirl2k wrote:
The show (Those Who Hunt Elves) is just played for fun. You have three completely different people from the "modern day world" that are dropped off in the middle of a fantasy land and they are just trying to find their way back home. This involves finding the spell pieces that scattered onto the bodies of various elves when the elf sorceress screwed up the spell to send them home. The characters are just so much fun (especially the girl with the tank). Each ep is self contained pretty much as they follow another lead to get them closer to home. Everything is totally whacky and played for laughs which makes it so much fun to watch. The jokes fly fast and furious sometimes and it also ranks with me as one of those shows that most anyone can get into whether they are into anime or not.

If you like Slayers, Sorcerer Hunters or Rune Soldier then this is a must-check out. The first season IS much stronger than the second, but it has its moments as well.

I loved it anyway. Very Happy

I'll agree with you that TWHE is pretty fun to watch - but it only applies to the first series. The second series was horrific in both presentation and execution. The jokes lost a lot of their luster the second time around, much to the point that it just wasn't very interesting.

Part of me is a bit surprised that the TWHE boxset was listed as perishable because Bamboo did give the first volume a favorable review when it was first released. I watched the first series at my anime club last spring and I did enjoy the slapstick comedy and the colorful array of emotions by the Japanese voice actors, much so that I did bought the series during one of ADV's clearance sales that they regulary conduct. But like Bamboo wrote in her review four years ago, definitely avoid the English track. I watch TWHE with the English track at my home and had to switch to Japanese one minute into the first episode - the acting was horrendous. (We watched TWHE in Japanese at my club.) So in that regard, and with what I mentioned before, I have no issues with Bamboo classifying TWHE as trash. The series as a whole deteriorated as it continued on.
kittycatgirl2k

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I'm strange, but I really liked the English dub on Elves. It was over the top which fit the zaniness of the show. I got more giggles out of it that way. Tho I did begin watching it in Japanese with subs.

I was really disappointed with the 2nd season but it was OK. A couple of eps had some solid comedy material but nothing like the first season. The OP sucked for S2 as well.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:31 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:

Part of me is a bit surprised that the TWHE boxset was listed as perishable because Bamboo did give the first volume a favorable review when it was first released.

The thinpak box also contains the second season, that's why. ;p I found the first 5 or so epsiodes of TWHE to be somewhat entertaining, but it lost it magic very quickly. By the time the last half of the series rolled around, I was really bored with the premise of the show. And then I watched the second season and it just completely killed it for me. It's terrible, both in terms of storyline, characterization, and the humor isn't the least bit funny. When half of a thinpak is terrible, and a fourth of it is, to me, dull and subpar, it's hard to give the whole thing a good review.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4