• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Boogiepop Phantom (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Siding with pparker in regards to Boogiepop Phantom. I enjoyed the series a lot when I was first getting into anime and hadn't been familiar with the original novels. Then I read the source material when Seven Seas at last licensed them, and re-watched the anime series in the past few months. It doesn't hold up well at all. The characters themselves are trite ciphers to reference real-life problems, but nothing of consequence is really done with them. The episode about the otaku is particularly threadbare, and pale's in comparison to what Kon has to say on the issue in Paranoia Agent and Paprika. (I really dislike the word pretentiousness, as it's misused and abused so often nowadays, but this series isn't free of such a criticism.)

And, well, as far as low-budget shows go, it's not really visually interesting. Direction is also uncomfortable at times -- the general lack of suspense spoiler[when Boogiepop rises to the occasion in the climax of the series] is clumsily staged, losing suspense that otherwise more competent direction would produce.

The only rewarding portions are those that ARE directly related to the books, focusing on the characters and revolving around their respective arcs.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:52 am Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
The characters themselves are trite ciphers to reference real-life problems, but nothing of consequence is really done with them. The episode about the otaku is particularly threadbare, and pale's in comparison to what Kon has to say on the issue in Paranoia Agent and Paprika. (I really dislike the word pretentiousness, as it's misused and abused so often nowadays, but this series isn't free of such a criticism.)

Well, if you want pretentiousness and cipher characters, Kon is your man IMHO! I found the stories in Phantom emotionally convincing, and the characters believable, though obviously they couldn't be developed much over the course of one episode. Not sure what you mean by otaku episode - do you mean spoiler[the Slave addict who came to believe his computer dating game was real?]

HellKorn wrote:
And, well, as far as low-budget shows go, it's not really visually interesting.

Are we talking about the same show? For visually uninteresting low budget show, I think of something like Tokyo Underground. Phantom, on the other hand, is a stylistically bold mood piece that is deliberately drab, but in a carefully designed, artistic way. In terms of production standards, it is rightly classed beside Lain and Texhnolyze.
animeboy12

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:27 am Reply with quote
I'm thinking of watching Boogiepop Phantom but my main concern is that I really don't like most human psyche. Basically I hope this anime isn't like scene like the one's near the end of Neon Genesis Evangelion
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:18 am Reply with quote
Personally I thought this series was really weird and great to watch. Weird stuff is always the best thing Very Happy I didn't enjoy it as much as Paranoia Agent however, I thought PA was really well done and really well told whereas boogiepop phantom was like wtf just happened, I got lost 10 minutes ago type thing. The funny thing is when I heard bout boogiepop phantom for the first time, i thought it was a comedy with a name like that Rolling Eyes Awesome name though.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the series personally. It's complex, unpredictable, and projects a really wierd atnowphere. It's one of those series, best watched late at night in the dark. I really (usually) enjoy other series of similiar nature as well that screw with you and get into psychology and philosophy. Cool
pparker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:22 pm Reply with quote
animeboy12 wrote:
I'm thinking of watching Boogiepop Phantom but my main concern is that I really don't like most human psyche. Basically I hope this anime isn't like scene like the one's near the end of Neon Genesis Evangelion

It is not Eva by any standard of comparison. Certainly not the psyche deconstruction that you want to avoid. It's a horror/supernatural story, basically, but with a revolving set of characters tied together by a plot line and a handful of occasionally recurring characters. Structurally unique and complex, and potentially very confusing if you don't pay attention. If you don't understand it the first time through, then get the novels mentioned earlier and watch it again. As you can see from this thread, it is also visually somewhat experimental, and opinions are divided on that point.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:11 pm Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
Well, if you want pretentiousness and cipher characters, Kon is your man IMHO!

Aside from the opening batch of Paranoia Agent, I hardly see how any of Kon's characters are ciphers. And pretentious? How?

Quote:
I found the stories in Phantom emotionally convincing, and the characters believable, though obviously they couldn't be developed much over the course of one episode.

It's not a matter of development -- it's a matter of giving them human traits to identify them more than "oh they represent this shallow message."

The chief problem of Boogiepop Phantom, above all else, is that it comes across as teenage armchair philosophy that parades itself as being something more than it actually is. There's no substantial commentary offered on these themes, which more or less amount to, "People trying to hold onto childhood and its innocence and memories." The novels don't devolve into that kind of unsupported self-importance, and it's disappointing that the anime series has to.

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by otaku episode - do you mean spoiler[the Slave addict who came to believe his computer dating game was real?]

Yes.

Quote:
Are we talking about the same show?

The washed-out effect doesn't really add anything. Art direction is occasionally interesting, but doesn't really do anything besides add a forseeable "bright/dark" contrast. And there's a lack of compositionally interesting "shots" (what would these be called in animation?), to my memory.
Fear Ghoul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Aside from the opening batch of Paranoia Agent, I hardly see how any of Kon's characters are ciphers. And pretentious? How?

Well, if Boogiepop Phantom is pretentious, then surely Satoshi Kon is pretentious as well. Boogiepop Phantom shares many themes with Kon's work, such as escapism (Paprika), memory (Perfect Blue), and being stuck in childhood (Paprika), and is just as equally qualified to be philosophical and psychological as anything Kon has done. I'm a big fan of Kon's work, but I don't think it's fair to label Boogiepop Phantom as pretentious and not Kon.

Quote:
It's not a matter of development -- it's a matter of giving them human traits to identify them more than "oh they represent this shallow message."

Both can coexist at the same time. Many of the characters do represent some kind of theme, but at the same time during their brief appearance in the series, their character's are developed and they are given human traits. The fact that they might not have as much emotional complexity as some other character's in other series I found irrelevant to the fact that we are viewing these characters at a very specific point in their lives when they are dealing with one particular issue which happens to change their life.

Quote:
The chief problem of Boogiepop Phantom, above all else, is that it comes across as teenage armchair philosophy that parades itself as being something more than it actually is. There's no substantial commentary offered on these themes, which more or less amount to, "People trying to hold onto childhood and its innocence and memories." The novels don't devolve into that kind of unsupported self-importance, and it's disappointing that the anime series has to.

The novels do have their own moments of self-importance, particularly revolving around the character of Seiichi Kirima, who is apparantly the author represented within the universe. There's also Boogiepop VS Imaginator, which is almost an entire philosophical battle between the two title characters.

I don't entirely understand what you mean by commentary? The series presents the themes and its own conclusions from them, but asks the viewer to decipher them on their own while leaving some room for the viewer's own interpretation of events. What more do you want? And I think it's all too easy to criticize Boogiepop Phantom for being teenage armchair philosophy just because the cast consists primarily of teenagers. I felt that the philosophy and psychology of the series was relatively sound and that it was neither too pushy not too brazen (with a few exceptions, mostly in episode 8). Most philosophical and psychological works could learn a lot from Boogiepop Phantom I think (I'm looking at you Lain).

Quote:
The washed-out effect doesn't really add anything. Art direction is occasionally interesting, but doesn't really do anything besides add a forseeable "bright/dark" contrast. And there's a lack of compositionally interesting "shots" (what would these be called in animation?), to my memory.

Of course the washed out effect adds something to the series. Among professional reviewers, the sepia colour tones and vignette are amongst the most commented aspects of the series that helped add to the dark tone of series.

And what do you mean by compositionally interesting shots? I don't think anyone here is qualified to determine what is a compositionally interesting shot and what is not.

Addendum: I've just looked at your favourites list. I'm struggling to understand the context of your statements when Mushi-Shi is on your list, labelled as a masterpiece, while Boogiepop Phantom is labelled as so-so. The art direction, character designs, and colour palette could just have been ripped straight from Boogiepop Phantom and given a few minor tweaks for all the differences there are between them. The dark dreary overtones, the sense of emotional/physical sickness, and the mysterious plot are just a case study in what Boogiepop Phantom did and what Mushi-Shi is striving to be. Given the vast similarities between the two series from a technical viewpoint, how are you judging what has compositionally interesting shots and what doesn't? Mushi-shi probably has the lowest fram rate, simplest animation and greatest degree of minimalism of any anime I've ever seen. A work of this kind can not and does not have any degree of compositionally interesting shots. If you want a more interesting directing style, look towards Hellsing (OVA) or Ninja Scroll (film), both of which you rated down.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:53 am Reply with quote
animeboy12, you don't have to worry about any sort of Eva-style mysticism at the end, as things round off pretty neatly. The main difficulty is keeping track of the characters and timeframes through the episodes, although it's still good spooky fun without recognising that character A also appeared in an earlier episode with a different story.

HellKorn wrote:

Well, at the risk of turning this into the Kon thread (!), in Millenium Actress, spoiler[the mixing of the actress's film roles with her IRL memories] didn't serve any purpose other than the appearance of "cool"ness (in fact, Kon said he was asked by the producer to use his style to fancy up what was otherwise a very conventional story), which I would call pretentious. Arguably the same could be said of Perfect Blue.
With Paranoia Agent, once I figured out Kon's point about spoiler[people grasping onto socially-acceptable excuses (e.g. shonen bat) for their failings], every new character and story was obviously generated in order to repeat and hammer this point home (with the exception of the Happy Family Planning episode, which was my favourite BTW). The cop characters were cardboard cutouts from Japanese cop shows, though I admit they got some interesting twists later on.

HellKorn wrote:

See, that's exactly what I think Kon is guilty of. I thought the stories in Phantom were generally not created in order to make a philosophical or sociological point, but just a dramatic exploration of youthful nihilism and hopelessness (in large part, though I don't think this was their point, as a result of the isolating nature of Japanese society). For instance, what's the "shallow message" of the story of the girl spoiler[who commits suicide because she can't live up to her parents' expectation as a piano player]? I found her predicament believable and touching, and I don't think she was created solely to make a pretentious point.

HellKorn wrote:

Hmmm. As I said, I really can't see the "teenage armchair philosophy" and "unsupported self-importance" that so bother you. As for the "trying to hold onto childhood" theme, I think that is in the Poom Poom story thread, but not in the Phantom, Manticore, or the Towa conspiracy threads.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Fear Ghoul wrote:
Well, if Boogiepop Phantom is pretentious, then surely Satoshi Kon is pretentious as well. Boogiepop Phantom shares many themes with Kon's work, such as escapism (Paprika), memory (Perfect Blue), and being stuck in childhood (Paprika), and is just as equally qualified to be philosophical and psychological as anything Kon has done.

Wait, if I'm not misunderstanding you: if something is psychologically and/or philosophically-charged, that's pretentious?

That doesn't make any sense.

Quote:
Many of the characters do represent some kind of theme, but at the same time during their brief appearance in the series, their character's are developed and they are given human traits. The fact that they might not have as much emotional complexity as some other character's in other series I found irrelevant to the fact that we are viewing these characters at a very specific point in their lives when they are dealing with one particular issue which happens to change their life.

Like I said, it's not a matter of development. The main characters lifted from the novels are fine -- it's the anime-original ones that suffer because they aren't given any humanistic traits. Throw on some posturing and gritty, "controversial" ideas and you have those cipher characters.

Quote:
The novels do have their own moments of self-importance, particularly revolving around the character of Seiichi Kirima, who is apparantly the author represented within the universe. There's also Boogiepop VS Imaginator, which is almost an entire philosophical battle between the two title characters.

Those just serve as a backdrop -- hardly the driving purpose of the narrative. The original novels are action thrillers with mystery elements first and foremost, not some J-horror expressiong juevenile dissatisfaction with Japan being filled with a bunch of child-like adults.

Quote:
I don't entirely understand what you mean by commentary?

I want writers who want to tackle such themes to actually give the necessarry weight to support them. I want them to explore those themes, give actual, real-world examples that don't come across as though a it's coming from a teenager that just realized that everyone has their own problems and some of them live on nostalgia and lost innocence. If the characters aren't particularly complex or don't develop, I don't care as long as they aren't just there for some forgettable ethics lesson.

I was asked a similar question in the thread in response to Carl's recent Death Note review. Here is my response to the poster, and then a later post that further establishes my position with a specific example of Watchmen.

Quote:
And I think it's all too easy to criticize Boogiepop Phantom for being teenage armchair philosophy just because the cast consists primarily of teenagers.

I couldn't care less whether the cast is filled with 40, 14 or four year olds.

Quote:
Most philosophical and psychological works could learn a lot from Boogiepop Phantom I think (I'm looking at you Lain).

It's the other way around. (Check out this thread if you have the curiosity.)

Quote:
And what do you mean by compositionally interesting shots?

There's not much thought put into the individual shots themselves. Part of the visual make-up for such a work is how you frame the shot, the level and angle, how many different layers (foreground, background) are in it, etc. Boogiepop Phantom isn't different than most anime series in this aspect.

Quote:
Addendum: I've just looked at your favourites list. I'm struggling to understand the context of your statements when Mushi-Shi is on your list, labelled as a masterpiece, while Boogiepop Phantom is labelled as so-so. The art direction, character designs, and colour palette could just have been ripped straight from Boogiepop Phantom and given a few minor tweaks for all the differences there are between them.

... No. You're really reaching if you think that they have a comparable design and tone. Aside from the traditional BESM, I hardly see how the characters look alike (and I've never complained about the actual character designs in Boogiepop PHantom to begin with?). The production values and look of Mushi-shi are far more luscious and vibrant than the washed-out tones of Boogiepop Phantom (which isn't a statement on either's quality; that's simply what they look like).

Quote:
The dark dreary overtones, the sense of emotional/physical sickness, and the mysterious plot are just a case study in what Boogiepop Phantom did and what Mushi-Shi is striving to be.

Mushi-shi isn't filled with caricatures and isn't preachy.

Quote:
Mushi-shi probably has the lowest fram rate, simplest animation and greatest degree of minimalism of any anime I've ever seen.

That's factually, objectively incorrect. Mushi-shi is animated largely in 2s, save for the lip flaps, which are animated in 3s, and the mushi, which are animated in 1s (something truly astounding, considering that full 24 fps is a rarity outside of theatrical productions).

Mushi-shi has arguably the most consistently highest level of animation that any anime television series has ever seen (the only other two that come to mind are Denno Coil and Kaiba).

Quote:
A work of this kind can not and does not have any degree of compositionally interesting shots.

The amount of animation given in a scene is irrelevant to whether it's compositionally interested or not.

Quote:
If you want a more interesting directing style, look towards Hellsing (OVA) or Ninja Scroll (film), both of which you rated down.

My rating for the Hellsing OVA isn't based n the direction, but on other factors. (I am also content with the original manga.) Ninja Scroll? Stylish, sure, but I'd much rather re-watch Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust if I want a Kawajiri movie.

eyeresist wrote:
Well, at the risk of turning this into the Kon thread (!), in Millenium Actress, [spoiler/]the mixing of the actress's film roles with her IRL memories[/spoiler] didn't serve any purpose other than the appearance of "cool"ness (in fact, Kon said he was asked by the producer to use his style to fancy up what was otherwise a very conventional story), which I would call pretentious.

Or it could be Kon having fun. Unless a person just doesn't like the film, I can't see why they wouldn't find that mixture enjoyable. (Plus, it's easy to argue that there's also an intentional metafictional element to reinforce the main message of the film, but an explanation for that would be beyond an aside in a post of a thread unrelated to the movie.)

I really don't see how it's pretentious.

Quote:
The cop characters were cardboard cutouts from Japanese cop shows, though I admit they got some interesting twists later on.

That's actually another distinctive difference between, say, Paranoia Agent and Boogiepop Phantom. The former takes fun in presenting caricatures to drive the message home (see episode two for another obvious example; Kon runs into a problem with episode four, though, when things become drastically serious and it falls well short of success), yet does manage to flesh out recurring characters. Boogiepop Phantom takes the anime-original characters so darn seriously that I can't take them seriously.

Quote:
For instance, what's the "shallow message" of the story of the girl spoiler[who commits suicide because she can't live up to her parents' expectation as a piano player]?

Just that: spoiler[expectations are pushed so heavily on her, she takes the easy way out. That's a blatant critique of Japanese society -- the nation has one of the most highest suicide rates in the world, largely due to social pressure.]

Quote:
As for the "trying to hold onto childhood" theme, I think that is in the Poom Poom story thread, but not in the Phantom, Manticore, or the Towa conspiracy threads.

The former is the basis for the show (people holding onto childhood and fantasy, not wanting society to push expectations on them), and purely within the realms of the anime. The latter are carryovers from the original novels -- why they didn't adapt those, I'll never figure out why.
Fear Ghoul

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Wait, if I'm not misunderstanding you: if something is psychologically and/or philosophically-charged, that's pretentious?

That doesn't make any sense.

That's not quite what I meant. I was comparing the psychology and philosophy of Boogiepop Phantom to the works of Kon, which are nearly identical in thematic concepts in several respects. If Boogiepop Phantom is pretentious because of it's psychological slant and direction, then logically Kon must be pretentious as well. And yet you do not find Kon pretentious, which I feel creates an inconsistincy in your argument. For the record, I regard neither Kon nor Murai (the writer of most of Boogiepop Phantom) pretentious. Incidentally, Murai wrote the script for Perfect Blue and the screenplay for Millenium Actress.

Quote:
Like I said, it's not a matter of development. The main characters lifted from the novels are fine -- it's the anime-original ones that suffer because they aren't given any humanistic traits. Throw on some posturing and gritty, "controversial" ideas and you have those cipher characters.

The question still remains: What exactly are you defining as a humanistic trait? The characters acted like humans, therefore they have humanistic traits. Or at least that's what I would have thought possessing a humanistic trait entailed.

And the ideas in Boogiepop Phantom are neither gritty nor controversial.

Quote:
Those just serve as a backdrop -- hardly the driving purpose of the narrative. The original novels are action thrillers with mystery elements first and foremost, not some J-horror expressiong juevenile dissatisfaction with Japan being filled with a bunch of child-like adults.

The first novel can be entirely summarized as a teenage angst story with supernatural creatures thrown into the mix. The author's comments in the afterwords make it clear how much he thinks he wasted his time in high school and how difficult life is at that age. VS Imaginator follows a similar premise, but with a little less angst. At Dawn is the only Boogiepop novel I have read that does not include any teenage angst, mostly because Nagi is the focus and she doesn't have much angst about her because she's a strong character. But still, teenage angst is a major aspect of the first three Boogiepop novels which drives the characters and the plot onwards. So I don't distinguish between the angst in the novels and the anime, with the exception that the anime contains more of it since it has more characters.

Quote:
I want writers who want to tackle such themes to actually give the necessarry weight to support them. I want them to explore those themes, give actual, real-world examples that don't come across as though a it's coming from a teenager that just realized that everyone has their own problems and some of them live on nostalgia and lost innocence. If the characters aren't particularly complex or don't develop, I don't care as long as they aren't just there for some forgettable ethics lesson.

I read your links, and still don't follow you. I fail to see how the characters in Boogiepop Phantom aren't real world examples of psychological states while those in Watchmen are. And the exlporation of those themes is given throughout the series by the actions of the characters and the consequences of their actions. Boogiepop Phantom does indeed have weight, and to be honest, it doe seem like you are being somewhat arbitrary in deciding what has weight and what does not. I refer to your other points about humanistic traits and teenage angst in stories as other examples when I feel you are being entirely arbitrary in your judgement. If you are going to mention the mistakes of anime fans in deciding what has depth in your Death Note posts, then I'll point out a far bigger problem with entertainment consumers in general: randomness - the apparant ability to like something for one reason and dislike something else for the exact same reason. I refer to this webcomic strip as the best example of what I am talking about:

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=1371#comic

In summary, I feel you are being a bit unfair and biased against Boogiepop Phantom for whatever fundamental reason, but none of your current points against the series seem to stand up to logical consistency. Just to pre-empt, I'm not necesssarily biased just because I like the series. I'm more than willing to point out it's flaws.

Quote:
It's the other way around. (Check out this thread if you have the curiosity.)

I'll read the entirety of that thread at some point. Lain is not particularly deep, consisting primarily of one theme (being connected to others) stretched over 12 episodes. To fill in the intellectual vacuum, Lain bombards the viewer with science and science fiction concepts such as Schuman resonance to confuse the viewer enough to fool them into thinking the script is clever. Lain is best described as a philosopher's wet dream - the series is so full of bull**** metaphysical utterly useless philosophy processed so that it is wordy enough for the average viewer to mistake it's obtuseness for some semblance of intelligence. I refer to the wikipedia article on Lain and it's "theme's" section:

"Communication, in its wider sense, is one of the main themes of the series,[31] not only as opposed to loneliness, but also as a subject in itself. Writer Konaka said he wanted to directly "communicate human feelings". Director Nakamura wanted to show the audience — and particularly viewers between 14 and 15 — "the multidimensional wavelength of the existential self: the relationship between self and the world".[21] The intrusion of technology in the social structure is part of the process described:[15] as Lain embraces the Wired, the viewer can see her drifting apart from her friends and family, to the point where "she can no longer relate to and interact with her fellow humans".[15]"

Directly communicate human feelings eh? Well, that is kind of intrinsic to having good character exploration. It's good to see he's ambitious though. Most stuff doesn't bother with "feelings".

"the multidimensional wavelength of the existential self: the relationship between the self and the world"

This is what I'm talking about. What the hell is a multidimensional wavelength? I bet he just invented that term to make himself sound smart. He just comes across as a self-obsessed twat to someone who actually does real science (me).

Quote:
Loneliness, if only as representing a lack of communication, is recurrent through Lain.[4] Lain herself (according to Anime Jump) is "almost painfully introverted with no friends to speak of at school, a snotty, condescending sister, a strangely-apathetic mother, and a father who seems to want to care but is just too damn busy to give her much of his time".[5] Friendships turn on the first rumor;[32][4] and the only insert song of the series is named Kodoku no shigunaru, literally "signal of loneliness".[33]

Loneliness would be a part of being connected yes, so this isn't another theme. It's the same theme with a different word.

Quote:
Theology plays its part in the development of the story too. Lain has been viewed as a questioning of the possibility of an infinite spirit in a finite body.[37] From self-realization as a goddess to deicide,[24] religion (the title of a layer) is an inherent part of Lain 's background.[37]

Questioning the possibility of an infinite spirit in a finite body? I'll have to ask Jesus about that one. Honestly, could who have wrote this section possibly have made Lain seem so self-important?

Quote:
There's not much thought put into the individual shots themselves. Part of the visual make-up for such a work is how you frame the shot, the level and angle, how many different layers (foreground, background) are in it, etc. Boogiepop Phantom isn't different than most anime series in this aspect.

You're confusing several different components. The frame, level, and angle always take effort to plan. The fact that Boogiepop Phantom may or may not use similar frames, level, and angles to other anime is irrelevant if those frames, levels, and angles happen to be very good for doing what the makers desired. In this respect, you're confusing effectiveness with uniqueness/originality. Secondly, the number of layers in a shot is entirely determined by financial constraints. OVA's and films nearly always have more simultaneous moving objects because they have the time and money to have them unlike TV series where everything is made as static as possible, animation is recycled, and framing movement is avoided. Therefore, you are confusing complexity of animation with quality of animation.

Quote:
... No. You're really reaching if you think that they have a comparable design and tone. Aside from the traditional BESM, I hardly see how the characters look alike (and I've never complained about the actual character designs in Boogiepop PHantom to begin with?).

I always felt that, apart from Ginko, many of the character shared a similar design ethic.

Quote:
That's factually, objectively incorrect. Mushi-shi is animated largely in 2s, save for the lip flaps, which are animated in 3s, and the mushi, which are animated in 1s (something truly astounding, considering that full 24 fps is a rarity outside of theatrical productions).

Mushi-shi has arguably the most consistently highest level of animation that any anime television series has ever seen (the only other two that come to mind are Denno Coil and Kaiba).

Well, if you want to be completely accurate, you don't know what anime series I have seen so Mushi-shi may in fact have one of the lowest animation fram rates of any anime I have seen. Smile

But getting serious again, after having watched Mushi-shi and payed close attention to the animation quality, I can always spot long periods of static animation in every episode, the employment of simplistic animation on many occassions, and the refusal to animate lip flaps fully or even at all across the series. In our anime club, most of the people agree that pretty mcuh nothing is happening most of the time on the screen because the series is very slow, not just in its story, but in its animation. I personally think this works for something like Mushi-shi, which I do enjoy by the way, but again by comparing to Boogiepop Phantom I'm trying show that yit doesn't make much sense to rate highly the animation of Mushi-shi while rating the animation of Boogiepop Phantom low when they are extremely similar in quality terms.

Quote:
The former is the basis for the show (people holding onto childhood and fantasy, not wanting society to push expectations on them), and purely within the realms of the anime. The latter are carryovers from the original novels -- why they didn't adapt those, I'll never figure out why.

I sincerely hope they do animate the original novels in OVA/Film quality. I pray for the day...
HellKorn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Fear Ghoul wrote:
I was comparing the psychology and philosophy of Boogiepop Phantom to the works of Kon, which are nearly identical in thematic concepts in several respects. If Boogiepop Phantom is pretentious because of it's psychological slant and direction, then logically Kon must be pretentious as well.

There are similar themes, yeah, but certainly not in execution -- that's where the difference lies, for me.

I find Kon to be preachy and heavy-handed at times, but not pretentious as eyeresist suggests.

Quote:
The question still remains: What exactly are you defining as a humanistic trait? The characters acted like humans, therefore they have humanistic traits. Or at least that's what I would have thought possessing a humanistic trait entailed.

Something that doesn't easily allow exaggeration and placing the character in a box -- that is, if it's a Very Serious Story (as opposed to a Very Fun Story; it'd be ridiculous to criticize Baccano! for jumbling such a massive and entertaining cast for 13 episodes) I don't really have a problem with multiple characters being defined and exaggerated by one trait, so long as they're not predoimantly focused on. Yet with Boogiepop Phantom, most of the anime-characters only serve as story pieces (Moto in episode one is one of the few exceptions, having a more naturalistic persona), and take up far more screentime than what should be the main characters (Touka, Nagi, et cetera), who actually have defined personalities.

Quote:
But still, teenage angst is a major aspect of the first three Boogiepop novels which drives the characters and the plot onwards. So I don't distinguish between the angst in the novels and the anime, with the exception that the anime contains more of it since it has more characters.

Yeah, but the angst is the novels is simply what it is. In the anime it serves as an outlet for social and philosophical musings.

Quote:
I read your links, and still don't follow you. I fail to see how the characters in Boogiepop Phantom aren't real world examples of psychological states while those in Watchmen are. And the exlporation of those themes is given throughout the series by the actions of the characters and the consequences of their actions.

Allusion isn't the same as actual exploration, though, be it through characterization or purported exploration. Like I said in one of my posts:

HellKorn wrote:
I mean, jeez, I could write a story that involves a young girl being abused by her father, string it out for a few episodes with mawkish, moe-inducing scenarios, and then have her take revenge by shooting him with one of his guns that she found in the heat of another abusive session. There's absolutely no commentary there, no insight at all, and yet some anime fans would lap it up because they think that emotional vicariousness/tragedy porn somehow makes a work "deep."

Given the slight tweaking and padding, a person can ring out child abuse and possibly gun control out of my described scenario. But the actual themes are just referred to, not examined.

Fear Ghoul wrote:
I refer to your other points about humanistic traits and teenage angst in stories as other examples when I feel you are being entirely arbitrary in your judgement. If you are going to mention the mistakes of anime fans in deciding what has depth in your Death Note posts, then I'll point out a far bigger problem with entertainment consumers in general: randomness - the apparant ability to like something for one reason and dislike something else for the exact same reason.

Taking it on a case-by-case basis and apply a similar criteria much of the time aren't always incompatible. (Basically, while I wouldn't judge the merits of 2001: A Space Odyseey and Baccano! in the same way, there are still general traits that one can measure them by.) Boogiepop Phantom, lain, Mind Game, Ergo Proxy, Evangelion, Ghost in the Shell: Innocence, Pale Coocon, etc. are unconventional stories of Japanese animation and deal with somewhat esoteric subject matter, but what they set out to accomplish and HOW they do it are distinctively different.

As for the comic strip, it'd make sense if the nerds were watching and complaining about, I dunno, Snakes on a Plane and then went to salivitating and masturbating over their super hero comics, or something like that.

Quote:
I'll read the entirety of that thread at some point. Lain is not particularly deep, consisting primarily of one theme (being connected to others) stretched over 12 episodes. To fill in the intellectual vacuum, Lain bombards the viewer with science and science fiction concepts such as Schuman resonance to confuse the viewer enough to fool them into thinking the script is clever.

Uh, no. That's not the case at all. It goes well beyond that scope, and the real-world concepts are introduced to viewers (reinforced to others) as a means to further support its ideas and plot developments.

Quote:
"the multidimensional wavelength of the existential self: the relationship between the self and the world"

This is what I'm talking about. What the hell is a multidimensional wavelength? I bet he just invented that term to make himself sound smart. He just comes across as a self-obsessed twat to someone who actually does real science (me).

Aside from the fact that we don't know what the original Japanese is, I don't see how criticizing an abstract description of a theme by the director is the same as actually showing that the story is deserving of the same criticism. (Plus, a lot of that Wikipedia entry is drawn from magazines and reviews.)

(Really, I'd just recommend going through the thread. Hell, you seem to at least like the series, considering your rating.)

Hell, Hideaki Anno is certainly full of himself, and frankly I don't trust him much as a director -- certainly not when looking back on Evangelion. At the same time, that doesn't take away from what's presented in that story -- criticize the story, not the creator(s).

Quote:
In this respect, you're confusing effectiveness with uniqueness/originality.

eyeresist more or less implied that the visual make-up of Boogiepop Phantom is artistic, which would indicate that it's distinctive. I could see the argument for the washed-out colors and art direction, but visual composition is part of the equation, as well, and it's not really any different than most anime series.

Quote:
Secondly, the number of layers in a shot is entirely determined by financial constraints. OVA's and films nearly always have more simultaneous moving objects because they have the time and money to have them unlike TV series where everything is made as static as possible, animation is recycled, and framing movement is avoided. Therefore, you are confusing complexity of animation with quality of animation.

True, but visual composition is not the same as animation. Productions with better budgets have more freedom to pick and choose different "shots," but it's still ultimately on the director's shoulders -- give a hack a $15 million animated film, and it'd still look conventional; give an auteur a series on a shoe-string budget, and you still might have something that's visually interesting.

Quote:
I always felt that, apart from Ginko, many of the character shared a similar design ethic.

Well, yeah, but that's common in animation and, hell, in real life. In rural Japan set back a few hundred years (or so), I can't imagine that people would look too terribly distinctive.

That's one of the more bizzarre complaints that I've seen leveled at Boogiepop Phantom. It's one thing to be completely homogenous (oh hey droopy-eyed dating-sim Kyoto Animation heroines), but I never had trouble telling characters apart during my two watches of BP.

Quote:
I personally think this works for something like Mushi-shi, which I do enjoy by the way, but again by comparing to Boogiepop Phantom I'm trying show that yit doesn't make much sense to rate highly the animation of Mushi-shi while rating the animation of Boogiepop Phantom low when they are extremely similar in quality terms.

Most Japanese animation on television is animated on 3s; Boogiepop Phantom isn't an exception, Mushi-shi is.

Just because it doesn't draw attention to itself doesn't mean that there isn't attention to body language or smooth animation. Such movement in anime is stilted to begin with, so assertions of minimalism against Mushi-shi have always struck me as weird.

Quote:
I sincerely hope they do animate the original novels in OVA/Film quality. I pray for the day...

Dunno if the novels are popular enough to warrant another anime. There is a growing trend for light novel adaptions, but they seemed more squarely aimed at a romcom and/or moe-loving audience than something like Boogiepop.
Fear Ghoul

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
There are similar themes, yeah, but certainly not in execution -- that's where the difference lies, for me.

I find Kon to be preachy and heavy-handed at times, but not pretentious as eyeresist suggests.

I think referring to a definition of pretentious might be useful here:

"1. Marked by an unwarranted claim to importance or distinction

Their song titles are pretentious in the context of their basic lyrics.

2. Ostentatious; intended to impress others

Her dress was obviously more pretentious than comfortable." - Wiktionary

Boogiepop Phantom certainly does have a good claim importance and distinction, probably more so than Lain, and definitely more so than Paranoia Agent, as a consequence of the relatively unique storytelling and artistic directions it took. None of Kon's works have any claim to importance or distinction - they only repeat what others have done before in a standard enough method.

Whether Boogiepop Phantom sacrifices form over function is debatable, but I lean towards the notion that Boogiepop Phantom was done in the best possible manner to convey the feel of the series. I don't think Kon sacrifices function for form either.

Using the abive defintion, I conclude that Boogiepop Phantom cannot be pretentious due to its importance as a milestone in anime history and its distinction in nearly every respect from its contemporaries. I don't think Kon is pretentious, but rather his fans make his works appear to be pretentious, due to their emphasis on his works being overly important and distinctive.

Quote:
Something that doesn't easily allow exaggeration and placing the character in a box -- that is, if it's a Very Serious Story (as opposed to a Very Fun Story; it'd be ridiculous to criticize Baccano! for jumbling such a massive and entertaining cast for 13 episodes) I don't really have a problem with multiple characters being defined and exaggerated by one trait, so long as they're not predoimantly focused on. Yet with Boogiepop Phantom, most of the anime-characters only serve as story pieces (Moto in episode one is one of the few exceptions, having a more naturalistic persona), and take up far more screentime than what should be the main characters (Touka, Nagi, et cetera), who actually have defined personalities.

I think I understand what you're talking about - you don't like constrained characters. The problem with this I feel is that in reality some people, in fact most people, are indeed constrained, and that people tend to have one or more defining traits that make them who they are. The more "mentally ill" a person is, the more a person is constrained, but what divides mental illness from "normal" behaviour is always very arbitrary and subjective. I think the appearance of monotony among characters solely derives from expectations about human behaviour, that people should feel a variety of emotions and do a variety of things for them to be normal.

In the context of Boogiepop Phantom, where we are dealing with a few extreme case troubled people, I don't expect the characters to display the full range of human emotions or actions. These are sick people, and just like sick people, I expect them to be emotionally crippled.

Take the case of Misuzu in episode 3, who could not generate any sense of remorse over the death of her friend at the hands of Manticore Phantom, because she was so sub-concsiously obsessed with living in denial. It took the appearance of Boogiepop Phantom to destroy her illusions, at which point she went insane. Another example would be the brother from episode 7, who was so neglected as a child that he deems himself worthless, but transposes his worthlessness onto others and has been emotionally crippled to the point where he can kill cats without remorse (a sign of a future serial killer). However, he does in fact change his ways because of his sister, and realizes that he is not worthless because his sister needs him. To me, this seems like relatively normal human behaviour. Not healthy human behaviour, but human nevertheless.

The characters from Watchmen are no different. To what extent is not Rorschach not constrained as a character by his fanatical vigilantism and absolutism? What about Adrain? When does he take a break from his egotism and god-complex to become a truly 3D character? Watchmen is probably my favourite graphic novel, and drastically changed my philosophical outlook. But I still don't see how you can decide what characters are constrained and what are not? When does a character become 3D and not just 2D? The vast range of human expressions spread amongst a population aproximately 6.7 billion large is staggering to behold, so there will always be some oddball cases that don't behave perhaps as expected.

Quote:
Yeah, but the angst is the novels is simply what it is. In the anime it serves as an outlet for social and philosophical musings.

Again, there is a heavy dose of that in the books as well. The first novel is basically all about how people in school don't understand one another and how teenagers are lost. The second novel takes a swing at Japan's sexual attitudes with the character of Anou, and angst serves as the means by which Imaginator takes root in their hearts.

Quote:
Given the slight tweaking and padding, a person can ring out child abuse and possibly gun control out of my described scenario. But the actual themes are just referred to, not examined.

Sure. Idiots would take those themes from just that simple story. However, Boogiepop Phantom is a lot deeper than that. I've watched the series 10 times, and I wrote most of the Boogiepop Phantom article on Wikipedia, including the themes section. I know, from all my various research on the series, that the series does more than just have incidental themes to an otherwise convoluted plot. Boogiepop Phantom is a psychological, philosophical, and social commentary, that has more depth and thematic exploration in its 12 20 minute episodes than all of Kon's films strung together.

Quote:
Taking it on a case-by-case basis and apply a similar criteria much of the time aren't always incompatible. (Basically, while I wouldn't judge the merits of 2001: A Space Odyseey and Baccano! in the same way, there are still general traits that one can measure them by.) Boogiepop Phantom, lain, Mind Game, Ergo Proxy, Evangelion, Ghost in the Shell: Innocence, Pale Coocon, etc. are unconventional stories of Japanese animation and deal with somewhat esoteric subject matter, but what they set out to accomplish and HOW they do it are distinctively different.

If you complained that 2001: A Space Odyseey was unrealistic while not complaining that Baccano is unrealistic, then that would indeed be incompatible. I'm going to use another example. Ninja Scroll is my favourite animated film, and over several years I have had the chance to discuss the film with many others who have watched it. The general consensus is that they liked the film, but many of them had very strange minor things they disliked in the film. I know one guy disliked the molton gold on the boat at the climax. I know one guy dislikes the idea of "learning" to become immortal. I know several poeple who dislike the concept of Kagerou being immune to poison and then curing Jubei by kissing him. But really, why is it that individuals can complain about any one of these things but not the entirety of the film? So you have a problem with learning to become immortal, but no problem with a guy who can turn himself into stone, or a woman who has snakes coming out of private areas, or a guy who can vanish into shadows, or a guy who has electricity coming out of him? This kind of arbitrary decision making really frustrates me.

I find a similar thing happens towards sci-fi, where somehow, by some magical force, people are able to accept the falseness of the many technological devices they have in the future, and yet they take exception to some peice of contemporary fantasy. It's like complaining about Eva because it has mecha but liking Eureka Seven because it has mecha. I find this all the time, and I hold the highest disdain for it. Long ago I decided that I was going to try my best to be fair to everything and everyone, so for me this isn't so much of a problem. But complaining about what Boogiepop Phantom does while lauding Kon for doing the exact same thing is hypocritical.

Quote:
Uh, no. That's not the case at all. It goes well beyond that scope, and the real-world concepts are introduced to viewers (reinforced to others) as a means to further support its ideas and plot developments.

Let me ask you something? If Lain is essentially about people being connected/disconnected, why does Lain have to portray this theme in such a manner when the 30 minute Voices of a Distant Star does the same thing without including any references to obscure philosophical and scientific phenomenon? The answer is that Lain didn't have to, but it did so anyway (using the definition of pretentious above, that would make Lain pretentious), just because it can and so people will look at it and go "Wow, isn't that so clever?" when in fact, Lain is just needlessly obtuse. The fact that they have to dedicate nearly a whole episode just to introduce concepts which do nothing more than reinforce a theme when they were already self-explanatory proves that the creative team was full of itself.

Quote:
Aside from the fact that we don't know what the original Japanese is, I don't see how criticizing an abstract description of a theme by the director is the same as actually showing that the story is deserving of the same criticism. (Plus, a lot of that Wikipedia entry is drawn from magazines and reviews.)

The mindset of the creator is in his works. If the creator considers himself so intellectual in a fabricated manner, then Lain will portray this mindset, which it does. Using fancy words has no meaningful relation to intelligence. Above, I mentioned the breadth of human expression in a simple manner without indulging in needless self-gratification unlike the creator here.

Quote:
Hell, Hideaki Anno is certainly full of himself, and frankly I don't trust him much as a director -- certainly not when looking back on Evangelion. At the same time, that doesn't take away from what's presented in that story -- criticize the story, not the creator(s).

I love Evangelion, and considering the budget constraints, I don't see what was wrong with his direction. But yes, Anno is full of himself, but only in pretentiousness, and Evangelion certainly is pretentious.

Quote:
True, but visual composition is not the same as animation. Productions with better budgets have more freedom to pick and choose different "shots," but it's still ultimately on the director's shoulders -- give a hack a $15 million animated film, and it'd still look conventional; give an auteur a series on a shoe-string budget, and you still might have something that's visually interesting.

Very true. Some of the best films are made by auteurs. However, that doesn't lessen the impact of the conventional method.

Quote:
That's one of the more bizzarre complaints that I've seen leveled at Boogiepop Phantom. It's one thing to be completely homogenous (oh hey droopy-eyed dating-sim Kyoto Animation heroines), but I never had trouble telling characters apart during my two watches of BP.

Yeah, it is a wierd complaint. I never understand most people's complaints of Boogiepop Phantom. I hear people get Saotome and Echoes confused. Like, what the f***? They don't even look remotely similar apart from having a male appearance. I only had troubles remembering names the first time I watched it. I always had to refer to characters by what they did rather than by their name, or even the episode number for most people (who always forgot what happened).

Quote:
Just because it doesn't draw attention to itself doesn't mean that there isn't attention to body language or smooth animation. Such movement in anime is stilted to begin with, so assertions of minimalism against Mushi-shi have always struck me as weird.

There is an uneven distribution to consider however. Because Mushi-shi spends little time using any new animation (many pan shots) and the backgrounds often use recycled animation, they have more time to concentrate on character movement and body language. It's actually relatively common in anime. They will sacrifice animation quality at some points to emphasize animation quality at others. But on average, I would say that Mushi-shi doesn't have terribly good animation quality. I always watch films and OVA's if I want good animation in anime. That's the only place you'll ever reliably find it.

Quote:
Dunno if the novels are popular enough to warrant another anime. There is a growing trend for light novel adaptions, but they seemed more squarely aimed at a romcom and/or moe-loving audience than something like Boogiepop.

Sadly true. However, they always seem to be adapting some random manga that nobody has ever heard of into an anime, and companies always revisit a franchise at some point. It's just a matter of time I think.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Fear Ghoul wrote:
I think I understand what you're talking about - you don't like constrained characters. The problem with this I feel is that in reality some people, in fact most people, are indeed constrained, and that people tend to have one or more defining traits that make them who they are. The more "mentally ill" a person is, the more a person is constrained, but what divides mental illness from "normal" behaviour is always very arbitrary and subjective. I think the appearance of monotony among characters solely derives from expectations about human behaviour, that people should feel a variety of emotions and do a variety of things for them to be normal.

[Examples given in Boogiepop Phantom.]

The characters from Watchmen are no different. To what extent is not Rorschach not constrained as a character by his fanatical vigilantism and absolutism? What about Adrain? When does he take a break from his egotism and god-complex to become a truly 3D character?

While I somewhat agree with your principle, I don't agree with the assertion that some people -- in this case, the mentally ill -- are inherently constrained because of their predisposition, nor that the characters in Watchmen are, as well.

There are a variety of traits to define a person. When you're working with a long-form story, one can be lax with the presentation of characterization at times; however, when working on a short story -- which comprises Boogiepop Phantom, for the most part -- one must be able to capture these traits more precisely. Each and every person has these quirks, beliefs, ritualistic actions, et cetera, regardless of whether they're mentally stable or ill.

Watchmen has the main cast gradually fleshed out, frequently devoting a given chapter to them. We are witness to their history, their environment, their philosophies, their double standards, etc. Simply because a character (or a story of theme, as I'll argue later) is simple doesn't mean that they aren't nuanced. Rorschach isn't just another vigilante that would make Frank Miller's rendition of Batman smile with approval; neither is Adrian a mere elite who is a strict consequentialist (huh, this isn't a word?).

Hell, even the most popular example of mentally ill (and, consequently, hated) characters in anime, Shinji Ikari, isn't the whine box that a lot of the detractors want to make him out to be.

Quote:
Again, there is a heavy dose of that in the books as well. The first novel is basically all about how people in school don't understand one another and how teenagers are lost. The second novel takes a swing at Japan's sexual attitudes with the character of Anou, and angst serves as the means by which Imaginator takes root in their hearts.

Well, yeah, but at the same time its raison d'etre (oh, Ergo Proxy... Speaking of pretentious anime...) is primarily for entertainment. I mean, there's also commentary in, say, G Gundam, but I'm doubtful that anyone is going to attempt to argue that it's themes concerning environment, technology and communication are its defining purpose. (This isn't meant as a comparison of quality between G Gundam and any of the Boogiepop franchise, by the way.) Sure, the Boogiepop novels has miscommunication, evolution, memory, conspiracy theory, what have you, but they also are driven by action and thriller twists with names like Spooky E, Mo Murder, King of Distortion, and, well, Boogiepop! Hell, even Kadono is a fan of Jojo's Bizzare Adventure, which is somewhat evident in the novels after reading that manga. Throw in the musical references, and the whole thing is refreshingly self-aware.

The novels and anime may have themes in common, but for the former they're a means to an end, whereas they're the whole existence for the latter.

Quote:
I've watched the series 10 times, and I wrote most of the Boogiepop Phantom article on Wikipedia, including the themes section.

Ah. Thought I recognized your prose from somewhere.

Quote:
Boogiepop Phantom is a psychological, philosophical, and social commentary, that has more depth and thematic exploration in its 12 20 minute episodes than all of Kon's films strung together.

You'd have to take that assertion up with more devoted Kon fans (of which I do think it would be an interesting discussion, so long as no one tries to step on anyone else's toes). However, putting aside Perfect Blue and the first batch of Paranoia Agent -- the latter of which is mostly delivered with the tongue-in-cheek, and better direction, by my mark -- I don't see how his output is thematically less than that in Boogiepop Phantom. With BP, the ideas are just sort of... well, there. They are what they are, but I never really came away with a different viewpoint (from the creator's perspective, I mean); the same thing applies to something like Now and Then, Here and There, which I also find its depth to be vastly overstated by some of the fandom. Kon's work, while occasionally finger-wagging, is more nuanced than I believe you give it credit for (I certainly came away with a more favorable opinion of the narrative of Paprika on a second viewing, even though I really, really liked it after the first time for its aesthetics).

Quote:
But complaining about what Boogiepop Phantom does while lauding Kon for doing the exact same thing is hypocritical.

I still don't see how they're comparable, though. Yeah, they're dealing with similar themes, but the execution of them are greatly dissimilar. (And it's not as though I'm not critical of Kon whenever he does do what BP does; he just happens to not really do it that often.)

Quote:
Let me ask you something? If Lain is essentially about people being connected/disconnected, why does Lain have to portray this theme in such a manner when the 30 minute Voices of a Distant Star does the same thing without including any references to obscure philosophical and scientific phenomenon?

Lain is not essentially about people being (dis)connected, though. The real-world concepts and events introduced and reinforced for the viewer aren't as trivial as that. Like I said earlier, it's themes and points go well beyond a simple idea of "Everyone is connected," far into territory that a lot of viewers don't pick up on and give it credit for.

Quote:
The mindset of the creator is in his works. If the creator considers himself so intellectual in a fabricated manner, then Lain will portray this mindset, which it does.

Tsurumaki, the assistant director of Evangelion, has gone on record to state that there is no meaning to the religious references in the show -- it's just there to "look cool." That's not true; it obviously isn't a Judeo-Christian allegory, but does have meaning: both within the show, and within the context of the viewer's association of it to reality -- i.e. a displaced metaphor. (Look up JesuOtaku's and my explanations.)

One remark translated from another language should not define a creator's personality, and most certainly not their work.

Quote:
I love Evangelion, and considering the budget constraints, I don't see what was wrong with his direction.

Sorry, bad wording on my part. I wasn't criticizing his direction in Evangelion, but rather that I don't trust him now.

Quote:
There is an uneven distribution to consider however. Because Mushi-shi spends little time using any new animation (many pan shots) and the backgrounds often use recycled animation, they have more time to concentrate on character movement and body language.

I could see that argument, except there is movement when, say, there is panning across a room and over a character. One of the most frequent stylistic shots that I remember is a slow movement upward as Ginko moves his cigar* away from his mouth -- that animation is just so ridiculously natural. That's one of the "quieter" moments you allude to.

If they just simply invested their budget sparingly, then they wouldn't have such high consistency of animation, or have the mushi themselves being animated in 1s. Simply because it isn't obvious doesn't mean that it's not there.

*Or whatever the hell it is.

Quote:
But on average, I would say that Mushi-shi doesn't have terribly good animation quality.

I myself look down upon appealing to a majority, but... people who have a high interest and knowledge in general animation, some of them animators, have a high respect for the series, two of whom you may be familiar with: Cloe of ANN and Ben of AniPages. I would think that there's something to it, y'know.

Quote:
However, they always seem to be adapting some random manga that nobody has ever heard of into an anime, and companies always revisit a franchise at some point. It's just a matter of time I think.

Well, it probably hinges on how well BP was received in Japan -- i.e. DVD sales -- in addition to whether there's a current demand among the fanbase for the novels to see a faithful anime adaption. Even the seemingly nameless manga titles getting adapted have some sort of sure-fire appeal to otaku, so it's not a guarantee that material like the Boogiepop novels can move the numbers...
animeboy12

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:33 pm Reply with quote
thanks for the imput eyeresist. I don't mind timeskipping
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5