• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyo Governor is Not a Mickey Mouse Fan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ztarr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:05 am Reply with quote
Truth_Teller wrote:
...Modern Japanese animation has its roots from American animation....

It seems that most people who have commented don't know this. As soon as I read the headline for this news post I understood what he was probably trying to get at....to someone who doesn't know how much the old mickey influenced early anime creators this comment seems to come out of no where... but it makes a little more sense now doesn't it?

I think he was just saying that japanese animators didn't need American influences to be innovative. He wasn't just yelling out for no reason " I HATE MICKEY".

It's almost like in Star Trek:TNG when Captain Picard helped Gowron become Chancelor of the Klingon empire, but then re-wrote history afterwards to leave out any mention of the Federation's involvement Anime smile
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:33 am Reply with quote
Given the general attitude of the governor I don't think it's quite so deep as that. Besides, much of what he says goes beyond that, and while that may be part of what he was trying to say it definitely is not all of it. Especially since American influences are said and done, they're already there and have already done their part, they're a non-issue now as that chapter in animation is part of history now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lledra

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:52 am Reply with quote
I've heard of people who don't like Mickey Mouse, but their mainly people who have lost their child/youthfull side, and they can only see Mickey as a character for children.

But only today have I ever heard of somebody saying they "HATE" Mickey Mouse.

Also about Mickey not being Japanese Enough, like come on! He's American, created by an american, and his first cartoon was Steamboat Willie, September 18th, 1928 (under some speculation, becasue Mickey was also in a couple of things before this particular short aired (Plane Crazy and The Gallopin' Gaucho - May 15, 1928 and December 30, 1928 (even though it didn't actually air before Steamboat Willie, it was created before and was ment to air between the two)).

I had never heard of this man before, but by doing some research on him, and thinking about what I've learned about him. I believe I can say.

"I like Mickey Mouse. I hate Shintaro Ishihara."

HA! How do ya like them apples!
icepick314

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:55 am Reply with quote
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4678209.stm

had to dig into Google for few minutes but this article shows what happened between the governor and the French society at Tokyo....

He seems to have the traditional nationalist view of politics and says whatever comes to his mind....pretty rare compaired to US politicians but still should know your subject matter before speaking before-hand....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
slickwataris

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:12 am Reply with quote
Lampbane wrote:
slickwataris wrote:
hahaha. Well in his defense Mickey Mouse isn't that relevant anymore. How many kids watch Mickey Mouse now? Seriously I doubt any child does.

It's not Mickey's fault Disney doesn't make many cartoons with him anymore or even shows them.

Don't be hatin'.

They don't make cartoons with Mickey anymore because people don't watch them. There is a correlation here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:17 am Reply with quote
Not true, Mickey still see's a good deal of playtime on various channels and the collection was a hot seller while it was available. They don't make the cartoons anymore because Disney doesn't put much focus in their tried and true characters and stories anymore unfortunately.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:38 am Reply with quote
This guy sounds like some of the less dignified otaku. "I like Japanese animation, therefore I also hate all American animation!" Conclusion: the governer of Tokyo is a total n00b.

Of course, I'm sure "Mickey Mouse" is meant to represent something greater in his mind than just a cartoon, since most people associate him with the US even though he's known worldwide. I wonder if the governor likes Astro Boy? I wonder if he knows his design was partially based on Mickey's?

Also: was he implying Disney wasn't skilled at visual expression? Mickey cartoons pratically invented half of the cartoon body language and exagerated reactions still in use today, and Disney's movies did the same for more realistic animation. This man is silly.
heyyu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:43 am Reply with quote
So the guy says he doesn't like Mickey Mouse and some of you start acting like he's declaring war on American values. WTF. It's funny that anytime there's any little criticism of America (over a frickin' Mickey Mouse cartoon no less), people start getting all angry and chanting, "Well yeah, look at how bad Japan and RACIST and XENOPHOBIC it is, blah blah blah." Yes, Japan has racist people, OMG, what a revelation!

And I don't know about anyone else, but I am so goddamn sick of hearing about the China/Japan debate over and over again. Yes, we get it, the Japanese were EVIL and BAD. The Americans were GREAT and SAVED THE WORLD and should be applauded for A-bombing Japan. Happy now?

The Tokyo governor should be forced to apologize for offending the American people and watch every Mickey Mouse cartoon in existence. And every country should like Mickey Mouse, and Betty Boop, and Bugs Bunny, and Tom & Jerry, and Superman and so on. American cartoons were the greatest. They started it all.

Without American cartoons there wouldn't be Japanese anime, or any other type of animation. We'd all be forced to watch little doodles or something. So yes, great citizens of the United States, pound your chest for knowing that you are the proverbial "MAN" and that little Japan is evil and oh so racist compared to the great people of the United States of America *American anthem playing*

Last edited by heyyu on Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:04 am; edited 3 times in total
Kouji

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:49 am Reply with quote
"Not true, Mickey still see's a good deal of playtime on various channels and the collection was a hot seller while it was available."

What various channels? The only channels I know that air Mickey Mouse are ABC on Saturday mornings and Toon Disney. Anyway, I think this Ishihara guy is pretty stupid for bashing Mickey Mouse like this. While he's free to have his own opinion, he should do so in a respectful way, especially since he's a politician. And of course Mickey Mouse isn't going to have Japanese sensiblities. He's an American cartoon character! And I'm real sure Pikachu is far more fleshed out with more Japanese sensiblities than Mickey Mouse. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
hrtrunks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Given his xenophobic and nationalistic views in general, this doesn't come as much of a surprise. And beyond that, consider this story:

Ishihara Shintarou Profile Site wrote:
Ishihara told Nathan a story about the war. When he was in the seventh grade, he was living in Zushi, on the coast in the flight path of enemy aircraft heading out to sea. Ishihara described Nathan: “The Americans could see that we were kids, but they would strafe us anyway, for fun. One day I had to throw myself into a barley field. As I lay there, the Grummans and P-51s came roaring over me, flying low, and I could see that they had pictures of naked women and Mickey Mouse painted on the fuselage. I couldn't believe my eyes! I was scared to death, and angry but I was also thinking what a place America must be, what a culture, and how different from Japan. Then I heard other planes but no machine guns this time; they were Zeros in pursuit, and their insignia was the Japanese flag. I felt like reaching up to embrace that rising sun.”

(Check the link for more info)

Did anyone even read this? If you people have lived through what Mr. Ishihara did, than you would feel the same towards the people you consider your enemy for life. So yes, Shintaro Ishihara hates the US, China and Korea. But can you blame him?
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I can blame him, because that was war and Japan was hardly innocent themselves. From the camps of the Phillipines in which POW's were herded into shelters and burned alive rather than allow them to be rescued and the civilians of the country were harrassed and murdered for not doing as they were told as a conquered people. Yet these countries openly trade with Japan and their leaders don't step up on a podium to declare Japanese culture as evil and themselves as inherently superior, China being the exception, Japan doesn't either generally but unfortunately they have this guy.

It's one thing to dislike something, it's another thing to use it as a basis to promote a form of racial and nationalistic supremacy. And heyyu, it's not about him disliking Mickey Mouse, but rather that added to other comments added to his already developed character from previous comments. It has nothing to do with America being so great, because you see that type of attitude would simply mirror the attitude people have an issue with, it's a matter of respect in that people should be respectful of other cultures despite the differences and certainly should promote some form of racial supremacy which can only result in hatred, violence and bloodshed as history has repeatedly shown. So why do his sensibilities miss that?

Last edited by Keonyn on Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:42 am; edited 1 time in total
SnowStar_7*

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Haha Ah, well I will not get indepth as many of you have. I find the whole thing kind of rediculous. To tell you the truth though I've always hated Mickey Mouse. I was always more of a Goofy and Donald Duck fan. Wink
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Yes, I can blame him, because that was war and Japan was hardly innocent themselves. From the camps of the Phillipines in which POW's were herded into shelters and burned alive rather than allow them to be rescued and the civilians of the country were harrassed and murdered for not doing as they were told as a conquered people. Yet these countries openly trade with Japan and their leaders don't step up on a podium to declare Japanese culture as evil and themselves as inherently superior, China being the exception.

Yes, however, we did blow up Hiroshima and Nagasaki with an atomic bomb and killed 200,000 people. NOT that I'm saying that we are bad too, but I can understand where certain Japanese people are coming from. My grandmother is Japanese. Hell she was IN Hiroshima at the time of the bombing.
hrtrunks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yes, I can blame him, because that was war and Japan was hardly innocent themselves. From the camps of the Phillipines in which POW's were herded into shelters and burned alive rather than allow them to be rescued and the civilians of the country were harrassed and murdered for not doing as they were told as a conquered people.

Yeah, you shouldn't belive everything you read by the winning side you know. I mean, you do know what is going on in the world today, right? The US invaded Iraq for absolutly no reason (except the oil). And some day, after the war is over, and the US wins ofcourse, the history books will say how the US saved Iraq and so on... So no, do not go into who is to blame and not. Because let's face it. If Asia was not colonized by Europe and the US. Japan would have never had to resort to attacking the colonial powers in the Asia. And you do know that Japan was also opened up by force (military threat) by the US in the late 19th century? So guess who started it all?

Quote:
It's one thing to dislike something, it's another thing to use it as a basis to promote a form of racial and nationalistic supremacy.

He did not use animation as a base of showing how Japanese are superior to others. He was just pointing out how Japanese animation is more complex to other animations. You do think it's more complex, don't you?

Quote:
And heyyu, it's not about him disliking Mickey Mouse, but rather that added to other comments added to his already developed character from previous comments. It has nothing to do with America being so great, because you see that type of attitude would simply mirror the attitude people have an issue with, it's a matter of respect in that people should be respectful of other cultures despite the differences and certainly should promote some form of racial supremacy which can only result in hatred, violence and bloodshed as history has repeatedly shown.

Well, the thing is. Its not the problem of disliking something here. The problem is with HATE. He really hates the US, China and Korea. And as you can clearly see he doesn't want anything to do with them. And that is why he acts the way he does. And personally I think any person has the right to say what he wants. Unless you agree with facism? Do you think there should be a ban in Japan to say that people hate other countries?

Quote:
So why do his sensibilities miss that?

Like I said. The guy just hates other countries and he doesn't want to be silent about it like other Japanese. Nothing more, nothing less.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:01 pm Reply with quote
hrtrunks wrote:
Yeah, you shouldn't belive everything you read by the winning side you know. I mean, you do know what is going on in the world today, right? The US invaded Iraq for absolutly no reason (except the oil). And some day, after the war is over, and the US wins ofcourse, the history books will say how the US saved Iraq and so on... So no, do not go into who is to blame and not. Because let's face it. If Asia was not colonized by Europe and the US. Japan would have never had to resort to attacking the colonial powers in the Asia. And you do know that Japan was also opened up by force (military threat) by the US in the late 19th century? So guess who started it all?

As far as invading Iraq, where's the WMDs? WE as citizens and humans of the world are witnesses to this arc of history.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8