• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman: The 250th Column!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dposse

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Congrats, Answerman! Keep up the great work. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm with the others, congrats on 250 AMAZING issues/columns, Zac! Keep it up! I REALLY enjoyed this week's Flake. Rolling Eyes Laughing The day something like that REALLY happens will be the day anime truly dies, IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
huntmorfus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations on 250!
I'll be looking forward to reading my way to 500.

You should also consider making review of older posts a new, and occasionally used feature. I'm sure other Answerman fans would like to read how wrong or dishonest you were, as well as get updates on dates that may have since changed.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:47 pm Reply with quote
huntmorfus wrote:
I'm sure other Answerman fans would like to read how wrong or dishonest you were, as well as get updates on dates that may have since changed.

Thanks, but I think I'm going to limit publically flaying myself to maybe once every year or so. I was mostly joking about "lying"; at the time I wrote most of that I'm sure that's what my opinion was, and it was my roommate at the time who owned Hana Yori Dango, not me, but I did buy it for her. It's not like I'm in the business of indicting myself; this was supposed to all be in good fun.

I also have to assume that I don't really need to update old columns since I assume nobody's reading Q&A columns from 2001 and complaining that the answers are all out of date.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Any chance we will see more Retro-Answerman in future columns? That could be a nice addition to the columns for when, particularly for when there is no Flake and/or few questions to answer.
halochief_90

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:34 pm Reply with quote
The column wrote:

I'm gonna go ahead and assume I wrote this before I finished the game since the ending of Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty proved it to be one of the dumbest games I'd ever played and it's pretty clear Hideo Kojima was just screwing with people to see what he could get away with. Raiden, my ass.

Hey, I really liked MGS2! Sure the fact that spoiler[you play as Raiden] is hit or miss, but the first hour of the game showed, MGS2 really would have just been another adventure starring Solid Snake otherwise. spoiler[As soon as Raiden came rolling along everything got so messed up and you will either like it, or dread it.] I found the story, as a whole, to be very original, and thought provoking, even if I had to sit through an hour of cut-scenes at the end. I just got MGS3, and it probably will be better than MGS2, but every game doesn't need to be an "epic-adventure" to be awesome. MGS2, in the end, was still worthy of the Metal Gear name.

Maybe the column could have been a bit longer, but hey; parties always tend to go by fast. Razz
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations on column number 250! May Answerman answer many more questions and sift through more loads of inane email. My hat's off to you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Read Alice 19th. I loved that series above and beyong Fushigi Yugi and Ceres (although I hate ceres. Hated the main character, hated the love interest and how it worked out, hated it all).

Ugh, I have read that one, and it's even worse than FY. Like someone else said, the fact that it was so derivative distracted me because I was too busy thinking "This part is just like (xyz series)". Towards the end of the series, a bunch of almost completely useless characters get introduced like the black guy and the Chinese girl that seem to serve no purpose other than having new pretty people for readers to include in their own fanfiction. Plus, Alice looks a lot like Miaka. The main girl in pretty much everything by Watase minus Ceres looks like she's related to Miaka, and the leading male love interest ALWAYS looks like Tamahome.
I liked Ceres, though. I thought it was a decent story.
Bosque

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:33 pm Reply with quote
¡Congratulations!
It was so funny to read the 250th column XDDDDD.
Nothing else to say, thanks to answersman for the good work.
Bye, take care.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Pandaguy87

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
GATSU wrote:

I'm guessing you haven't played part 3. The villains in that game, particularly the Sorrow, are far more annoying than Raiden. But if you need a laugh, check out Metal Gear Domestic.

Metal Gear Solid 3 was a much better game than 2 and you know it, man.

So you did play Snake Eater. I was just about to say...

By the way, Metal Gear Awesome is 10 times better. And I liked Raiden just fine, you know Rose was the one that really ruined the game.
Last_September

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Congrats on your 250th column! I started reading the column when Ms. Answerman was still writing it (and I've always wondered why it wasn't called Answerwoman). Razz
It must have been embarressing looking through your past columns. I can imagine someone cringing at the computer screen right now.
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Last_September wrote:
Congrats on your 250th column! I started reading the column when Ms. Answerman was still writing it (and I've always wondered why it wasn't called Answerwoman). Razz
It must have been embarressing looking through your past columns. I can imagine someone cringing at the computer screen right now.

Reader reading the column: "Why is this called 'Hey Answerman!' when a woman is writing it?"

They then probably go on to think other things that a person wouldn't think about saying on a website where someone, including kids can read what you are saying.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:09 am Reply with quote
[quote="Pandaguy87"]
Zac wrote:
GATSU wrote:

I'm guessing you haven't played part 3. The villains in that game, particularly the Sorrow, are far more annoying than Raiden. But if you need a laugh, check out Metal Gear Domestic.

Metal Gear Solid 3 was a much better game than 2 and you know it, man.

MGS1 is one of the greatest games of all time. MGS2 was good, but stumbled in the the story and Raiden (which, BTW, Kojima had a reason for putting him), but had solid (no pun intended) gameplay; MGS3 is the best example of a perfected, polished series; and MGS4 is going to blow them all out of the water. And if you've seen the new Raiden in MGS4, you'll forget all about his MGS2 persona.

Anyway, congratulations on 250 columns.
halochief_90

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:42 pm Reply with quote
In addition to being the 250th Column, it's also Canada Day! That makes Canada 139 years old! Hurray!!! Very Happy
Joichi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:28 pm Reply with quote
One thing i know about Yuu Watase's works is that EVERY guy looks like another Tamahome clone and other clones just with added glasses or sexuality differences :Anime hyper:

Well i think i read somewhere that Yuu-sensei had been watching alot of drama than manga, so that explains why everything feels like some soap opera.. bleh... the only series me and mostly all my friends love was Zettai Kareshi, from all the fanservice and comedy LOL! A twist for those that knows Chobits and wants nakie males instead -cough-

Imadoki.. i think i read the first volume... pretty cute Smile

Arina Tanemura, only Full Moon wa Sagashite got my attention but i can't get used to the hugely big shojo eyes Razz

I think everyone's just a different shojo author in their own way... it can either turn out to be complex or cliche xD
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5