• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Offers A Certain Magical Index II & Movie on Home Video

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:28 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
As an aside, rather than it only being on Funi, wasn't this one of the titles that the Japanese publisher refused to allow Funi to put on BD yet and is enforcing them to wait, like many shows from this same publisher. I seem to still remember an article about this.

The company you're thinking of is Kadokawa. This series is from Geneon Universal (now known as NBCUniversal) and they have allowed BD releases for most of their other shows that FUNi announced at the same time with Index, Railgun and Haibane Renmei being the only exceptions.
Nayu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
Nayu wrote:
Sorry Funimation, you've done me wrong. I still pay you, but seriously, you need to do a replacement on Railgun (Sissy is unforgivable) and need to release Index on BD.
Okay, language expert, how should they have handled Kuroko calling Mikoto "Onee-sama"?

Just about anything else. "Onee-sama". "Sis". "Sister". "Proton". "Yellowfin Tuna". "Knight who says 'ni'".

Because... well, because.

(Note that definition #4 isn't in common use unless you're about 90 years old, or in some part of the English-speaking world I'm unfamiliar with. I had one great-aunt (RIP) who called my grandmother (RIP) "sissy" in the familial sense. That's the only place I've heard it in that sense IRL.)

Thank you for beating me to the punch. Smile

Jedi Master wrote:
All according to Ahiru.

Translator's note: "Ahiru" means "Duck".

Which is more than it needed to have really. Her name, a term indicative of her personhood, is Ahiru. Sakura in CCS's name means "Cherry Blossom" but if every time her name appeared in the dialogue Pioneer had chosen to instead put "Cherry Blossom", it would have caused fits. My personal name is Jewish for "Beloved", but no one calls me that. We do not translate the words we use to refer to each other as even if they have meanings. You don't call Xavier "Savior". They should not have called Ahiru "Duck". Humans don't do this.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:38 pm Reply with quote
ZodiacBeast wrote:
I know why they lock the subs but it doesn't make it any less irritating. It's a minor issue since I'm not learning Japanese anymore, but it's annoying to not be able to use one of the most basic functions of a DVD/BD.

Going along with that I also understand that the reason that some companies won't release the BDs of certain shows over here is because of reverse importation.

I'm sure that there's some reason that Japan keeps selling individual volumes with sometimes one episode for $50-100 a piece. And don't say otaku, because I'm sure that if stuff was cheaper they'd buy even more of it.

Sorry, but it is Otaku. They tried lowering the prices in Japan, it failed miserably. The modern anime industry relies on a small number of hardcore fans buying incredibly expensive but lavishly detailed BDs. Next time actually educate yourself before saying something.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:12 pm Reply with quote
@Zalis116 and
Shiroi Hane wrote:
I first came across the term for Fullmetal Alchemist, which was determined by anibin analysis to have a maximum level of detail of 960x540 pixels. Don't ask me how the analysis works, I don't know.

The process they use to simply downscale then re-upscale and see at what resolution they downscale to is there a discernible difference. But this process is very flawed. It is at best a heuristic to determine the minimum possible resolution used for a given scene. It cannot be used to determine the maximum resolution potentially used. First off, no one tests each and every scene, scrutinizing every object. Secondly, here's a very simple disproof of that method in determining max res, and why I say it's logically impossible to determine this post-production:
- in any paint program, create a 1920 x 1080 canvas.
- draw squares of any size
- apply said test
- result of said test will be that your original native resolution is something like 100p! Hell, if you draw a single colored square, the test could result in your "native" res being 10p!

The same was said for Kara no Kyoukai/Garden of Sinners. People said it was natively SD. Well, from behind the scenes production footage and interviews that turns out also to be completely false. Every studio has been scanning, inking, coloring and compositing in HD on their Retas rigs for a few years now.

Quote:
configspace wrote:
The same was said about Bleach when they moved to HD broadcasts. It turns out, like most titles, it uses mixed asset or different digital cell/layer production resolution, but nonetheless the maximum resolution used for Bleach is actually..... wait for it, 1080p for backgrounds. This was relayed through CR through an official rep (TV Tokyo / Studio Pierrot)

Backgrounds are a completely different process to the cells. They could be natural media, computer drawn or full CGI. Doesn't stop the actual animation being matted on top from having jaggies.

That's right that backgrounds can be different process. JC Staff used natural media for Twin Angel and scanned them in, also high resolution. But I mentioned that for a reason: when compositing, you use the higher resolution, NOT the lower one. This is especially true for zooming/panning. Character cells even if scanned in at low res, can be easily scaled without loss in quality since they're line art, inked digitally, with solid colors.

Production quality issues, most noticeable aliasing, banding, interlacing, or issues like this with blurry, color-fringing lines for Da Capo III and Rinne Langrange, are a separate issue than the native resolution used in production. The two shouldn't be conflated. The masters can be of high resolution and you can still have issues.

Zalis116 wrote:

1) The Blu-Rays are overly blurry or otherwise subpar in their mastering.
2) There's no perceivable difference between 720p and 1080p except additional filesize bloat.

Quote:
Let's try a test, with another old J.C. Staff title: Twin Angel TV. Here, there is concrete proof from behind the scenes footage interview about the resolution they used for production. But without looking it up, do you still think it's 540p? 720p?
I have heard that it's higher than 720p, but I guess "old" means "newer than Index II or any of the other shows we've been talking about"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvYxaNVsTWQ#t=10m40s

In the video JC Staff stated 960p is the resolution they use (for at least the characters) for all their TV shows.

Aside from my proof above, regarding 1) and 2) above, you can see why in the behind the scenes footage, during the compositing phase, you can't determine original resolution based on visual perception: they intentionally blur the lines! Mad It's unfortunate, but that's up to the studio or production team, and in many scenes most studios will intentionally lack details in the original drawing, especially objects or characters are at a distance--see KnK--just to ease the animation (i.e. lack of faces or face detail at a distance). Nonetheless, none of this is an indicator of original resolution
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:53 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty excited for this. Index and Railgun both ended up pleasantly surprising me in how much I liked them. I knew enough to think I'd like them, but both seemed even better than I would have guessed.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:12 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
when compositing, you use the higher resolution, NOT the lower one. This is especially true for zooming/panning. Character cells even if scanned in at low res, can be easily scaled without loss in quality since they're line art, inked digitally, with solid colors.

I'd like to know what world you live in where bitmap images can be scaled without aliasing.

configspace wrote:
The same was said for Kara no Kyoukai/Garden of Sinners. People said it was natively SD. Well, from behind the scenes production footage and interviews that turns out also to be completely false.

The initial screenshots suggested it was upscaled. In terms of Anime on DVD at last, we quite quickly came to the conclusion that it was not SD, but it was also not Full HD and filtering had been employed to smooth things out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
configspace wrote:
when compositing, you use the higher resolution, NOT the lower one. This is especially true for zooming/panning. Character cells even if scanned in at low res, can be easily scaled without loss in quality since they're line art, inked digitally, with solid colors.

I'd like to know what world you live in where bitmap images can be scaled without aliasing.

One with advanced filtering tools at anyone's disposal. Most characters scale very easily. After all, the character cells are heavily manipulated anyways from their original line sketch scans. Bicubic scaling then some sharpening or tightening via warpsharp on upscales results in a near perfect image for character line art. This is if done separately, before or during compositing.

But going back to my example, using rectangles will result almost no visible aliasing even without filtering. And the very same tests referenced in AoD a while back (down/re-upscaling) would yield order of magnitude lower determined resolution than the actual 1080p size used.
ZodiacBeast

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:53 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
ZodiacBeast wrote:
I know why they lock the subs but it doesn't make it any less irritating. It's a minor issue since I'm not learning Japanese anymore, but it's annoying to not be able to use one of the most basic functions of a DVD/BD.

Going along with that I also understand that the reason that some companies won't release the BDs of certain shows over here is because of reverse importation.

I'm sure that there's some reason that Japan keeps selling individual volumes with sometimes one episode for $50-100 a piece. And don't say otaku, because I'm sure that if stuff was cheaper they'd buy even more of it.

Sorry, but it is Otaku. They tried lowering the prices in Japan, it failed miserably. The modern anime industry relies on a small number of hardcore fans buying incredibly expensive but lavishly detailed BDs. Next time actually educate yourself before saying something.

I knew that part of the reason was that otaku would pay pretty much any price for a release but figured that there was also some other reason in play. It just doesn't make sense that people wouldn't buy more of something if it was cheaper, unless (of course) there weren't that many people interested to being with.

Why so rude? When I type "Japan tries lowering anime prices" into Yahoo all I get is places to buy anime.

Last edited by ZodiacBeast on Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:00 am Reply with quote
dan297na wrote:
Just because you are ok with supporting an outdated dying format, don't expect other people to be ok with it. I'm not buying anything that has dumbed down quality, regardless of how minor the change is. If funi doesn't think it's financially worth it to put out a Blu Ray, I can understand that. However, I will feel no obligation to buy it on an outdated format.
It's not so much about supporting a supposedly-dying format, it's about accepting a slight resolution sacrifice to support the show itself. I know it's not the ideal comparison, but in flipping between a 720p Blu-Ray rip for Railgun and the R1 DVD, I barely saw any difference without the kind of close scrutiny that doesn't occur under normal viewing conditions.

Besides, surely things like the characters, the music, the story, the scripts, and the voice acting aren't dependent on or enhanced by Blu-Ray. To me, saying "no Blu-Ray, no buy" is tantamount to saying that all those other elements don't matter in the face of some roof tile lines being blurred out.
Mikeski wrote:
Just about anything else. "Onee-sama". "Sis". "Sister". "Proton". "Yellowfin Tuna". "Knight who says 'ni'".

Because... well, because.

Zalis116 wrote:
The response will be "Well I don't know what they should've done and I don't have any better ideas, but I'm going to be indignant anyway."

Nayu wrote:
Which is more than it needed to have really. Her name, a term indicative of her personhood, is Ahiru. Sakura in CCS's name means "Cherry Blossom" but if every time her name appeared in the dialogue Pioneer had chosen to instead put "Cherry Blossom", it would have caused fits. My personal name is Jewish for "Beloved", but no one calls me that. We do not translate the words we use to refer to each other as even if they have meanings. You don't call Xavier "Savior". They should not have called Ahiru "Duck". Humans don't do this.
"Ahiru" as a name may be indicative to Japanese speakers, but it's meaningless to English speakers... you know, the target audience of English translations. You say "humans don't do this," but... she's not human! (Same with Ika Musume Squid Girl.) Given the European fairytale setting, having an animal name is entirely appropriate. I suppose you also object to "Le Chat Botté" being translated as "Puss in Boots"? And how many other human characters in other shows have you seen called "Ahiru," compared to "Sakura" and similar names?
NJ_ wrote:
This series is from Geneon Universal (now known as NBCUniversal) and they have allowed BD releases for most of their other shows that FUNi announced at the same time with Index, Railgun and Haibane Renmei being the only exceptions.
Another crappy BD upscale that we're probably better off without.
Nayu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:14 am Reply with quote
Of course, I completely missed that xenophobic Americans couldn't possibly deal with a girl being named something foreign. My bag.

We must change all those foreign sounding names in Japanese anime to hide the fact that people in different parts of the world have names in their foreign devil languages.

On your second point, popularity of usage is a stupid method for rationalizing translation of names. There are few characters named Tsumiki, Kazusa, Ryuuya, Mikihiko, or Shinkurou should these be renamed too? Such hard names detract from ease of access, after all.

Last edited by Nayu on Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:29 am; edited 2 times in total
ZodiacBeast

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:25 am Reply with quote
Shouldn't it automatically occur to those who translate stuff that you shouldn't translate proper names? The "Puss in Boots" example makes sense since it's more of a title/descriptive name, but literally translating a character's proper name makes no sense.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Ahiru isn't exactly a normal name (JMnedict has two variants, one is just hiragana and the other is Ateji).

[edit: remember the term I was looking for]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Nayu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:00 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Ahiru isn't exactly a normal name (JMnedict has two variants, one is just hiragana and the other is Ateji).

[edit: remember the term I was looking for]

Of course, its not like anyone is arguing it is commonly used as a name. This is Sparta, I mean anime. We have characters named Trunks and Lettuce here. Seriously. Its not like we're afraid of having our characters with weird names. So scary.
normajean19

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:38 am Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:
Of course, its not like anyone is arguing it is commonly used as a name. This is Sparta, I mean anime. We have characters named Trunks and Lettuce here. Seriously. Its not like we're afraid of having our characters with weird names. So scary.

So I'm guessing you would have preferred Krillin to stay "Kuririn" and Launch be "Lunch" instead when Dragon Ball was adapted into English? There isn't a one-size fits all solution when it comes to translating names. It just depends on the situation. Take Valvrave for example. When it gets dubbed should the names be translated into English based on the Japanese pronunciation or what the Japanese were actually trying to say in the first place? (L-elf versus Eru-erufu)

To be clear, if the name has some meaning, like Ahiru does in Japanese, and is used so that the original audience thinks of the meaning whenever the name is said, then changing that name to reflect the original purpose of the character's name when adapting the show to English is pretty much a no-brainer.
Nayu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:58 am Reply with quote
Dragon Ball is not pertinent to my interests so I've no opinion although I'm typically against renaming characters period. This is off-topic so I'm stopping here. (Although, it does look like Funimation took a lot of liberties with names in the subtitles for that show, good to know that even if I was interested in it I can pass it up. Of course, I'd probably buy it second-hand if I bothered anyways....)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5