• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Exclusive Interview: Viz Media's Charlene Ingram and Josh Lopez on Sailor Moon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cryssoberyl

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 4:28 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
Cryssoberyl wrote:
Except the only thing they're going to be selling is Blu-ray/DVD combo packs, so like it or not, if you're planning to buy this rerelease, you're buying the Blu-rays. Razz

Not according to the interview:

Charlene wrote:
There's going to be a combo pack that will be the limited edition, but there will also be the DVD version accessible to more mass-market retailers, that's going to be positioned for new fans that might not know anime.

True, I stand corrected. That was pretty buried, so I missed it. Still, they seem confident that their Blu-ray version will be worth it. I guess we'll just have to see.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 4:44 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
That's a waste. And watch, early next year Toei announces their BD releases made from the original film negatives.

Very, very unlikely due to Toei's own BDs of Galaxy Express 999, Saint Seiya & Slam Dunk (a show from around that same time period) being upscales as well. Both 999 & Slam Dunk were done by Q-Tec and judging by these screencaps of the former, they do not look good at all.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Toei isn't known for treating their negatives well. I might even go as far as saying they're infamous for poor preservation. Who knows if usable negatives still exist for Sailor Moon.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 5:52 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
That's a waste. And watch, early next year Toei announces their BD releases made from the original film negatives.

Very, very unlikely due to Toei's own BDs of Galaxy Express 999, Saint Seiya & Slam Dunk (a show from around that same time period) being upscales as well. Both 999 & Slam Dunk were done by Q-Tec and judging by these screencaps of the former, they do not look good at all.

Though what Toei does with some other property could well be different from what the original creator allows Toei to do with Sailor Moon.
aim_krazy

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'd better start saving for that Limited Edition boxset NOW. Because you KNOW it's gonna be expensive and sell out fast. Very Happy Sad
rainbowrabbit

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:56 pm Reply with quote
At the risk of getting another rude response from a certain arrogant patronizing ANN staff member, I'm now wondering about how the new dub will handle certain terms. Like if "odango" will be changed to "dumpling." Or if characters like Mamoru will keep his "Mamo-chan" nickname. I loved when Mamoru called Usagi "Usako." It was cute. I wouldn't mind seeing that one kept in the new dub.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:14 pm Reply with quote
rainbowrabbit wrote:
At the risk of getting another rude response from a certain arrogant patronizing ANN staff member, I'm now wondering about how the new dub will handle certain terms. Like if "odango" will be changed to "dumpling." Or if characters like Mamoru will keep his "Mamo-chan" nickname. I loved when Mamoru called Usagi "Usako." It was cute. I wouldn't mind seeing that one kept in the new dub.

With a series under such tight approvals as this one, you are basically wondering what the preferences of the original creator will be.

Without getting a mind-reading device, its hard to guess, unless someone that is familiar with one of the recent European releases can fill us in on what kind of translations the original creator authorized in those other languages.
Deus257

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Aw man I remember when I was a kid and my sister and my cousins would always hijack the tv to watch this show and I hated it, but then it grew on me until I started to like it too, glad they are giving it the superstar treatment. Who wants to bet Mae Whitman and Jennifer Hale are surprise cast members Razz
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:56 pm Reply with quote
rainbowrabbit wrote:

It would work okay if the dub dropped most honorifics, but kept the ones on nicknames. "Mamo-chan", "Usa-ko", "Mako-chan", etc. Dumpling doesn't really bother me, since odango are a type of dumpling.
Phibby

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:58 pm Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Quote:
One of the things about the previous dub is that there were so many cast changes throughout that there's no one Sailor Moon, there's almost no "one" of anybody.

There's actually quite a few "ones", I can think of off the top of my head (Jupiter, Luna, Rei, Mina, Artemis) And there is definitely a "one Sailor Moon".

Of the characters you list, only Jupiter, Luna, and Artemis had one consistent English VA.

Mars was voiced by Katie Griffin for dub episodes 7-65, 83+, and the movies, and by Emilie Barlow for dub eps 66-82. DiC dubbed those last 17 episodes of R two years after the first 65 dub eps, probably the reason for the recast. Katie Griffin came back on for Cloverway's dub of S and SuperS.

Venus was voiced by Stephanie Morgenstern for dub episodes 29-82 and the movies, and by Emilie Barlow (Mars' second VA) for dub eps 83+.

And no, Moon herself had three different English VAs: Tracey Moore for dub eps 1-11, 15, and 21; Terri Hawkes for eps 12-14, 16-20, 22-82, and the movies; and Linda Ballantyne for eps 83+.

In fact, of the main cast, the ones you originally listed (Jupiter, Luna, and Artemis) are the only characters I can think of that had one consistent English VA. Mercury, Pluto, and Chibimoon had two each, and Tuxedo Mask had three. Of the senshi, only Neptune, Uranus, and Saturn had one VA, understandable considering they only appeared in the seasons that were dubbed by Cloverway.

The casting of the supporting characters (Naru/Molly, Umino/Melvin, the Tsukino family, etc.) and the villains was much more consistent. But for the main cast, Charlene is exactly right re: cast changes.

Source for the English VA names and episode numbers: WikiMoon. It's a great resource for random SM information, if you're interested. (I used to do a lot of editing there myself back when it first started up.)
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:01 pm Reply with quote
rainbowrabbit wrote:

Nothing I said to you was rude in the slightest. Good lord.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Viz, release it all. I've wanted the legit full series on my shelves forever ago. Make it happen. Crystal too.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:57 pm Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:
So, it sounds like the approach to the new dub will be analogous to how ADV re-adapted the original Macross TV series. Interesting...

Unfortunately ADV went six feet under before it could complete dubbing the entire macross tv series. hopefully this wont happen to viz as well or worse, the releases wont sell well to warrant new eps to be released as with Saint Seiya.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 12:45 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
FLCLGainax wrote:
So, it sounds like the approach to the new dub will be analogous to how ADV re-adapted the original Macross TV series. Interesting...

Unfortunately ADV went six feet under before it could complete dubbing the entire macross tv series. hopefully this wont happen to viz as well or worse, the releases wont sell well to warrant new eps to be released as with Saint Seiya.

Eh? The entire Macross series that was licensed by ADV was dubbed and released. If you mean ADV didn't dub all of Macross that exists, then that's because they didn't have the rights to do that to begin with. Macross and its licensing status for the entire franchise is one of those special hells that would take too long to get into here but it boils down to only the original TV series was ever licensed by ADV to begin with.

As for VIZ not finishing up these new Sailor Moon dubs, I won't say it couldn't happen. Bad things have come down with shows and dubs in the past and VIZ has been involved, as well as other companies, so I won't say "never" or "won't." But at this points odds are looking good that VIZ will finish this up barring something major happening to stop them. Sailor Moon is a much more mainstream show than many of the older anime shows and a new English dub is going to be something other DVD/BD markets, Japan included, are going to want to license for their own use. It's in everyone involved interest to try and get a new dub for Sailor Moon produced in full, so I think everyone involved will attempt to make it happen.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 2:03 am Reply with quote
The Coffee God wrote:
Zac wrote:

If 15 years worth of stories about Takeuchi's legendarily tight leash on this franchise ain't enough proof for you then fine, but that's how it is and how it's always been. Viz is sending stuff for this release directly to her for approval, as is stated in the interview.

Not only that, she is hand picking the VA cast personally.

Well my hope for the dub just took a nigh-fatal blow. Whenever the Japanese have had a hand in picking the dub cast the results have been disastrous. Brittney "obviously not male" Karbowski cast as Black Star was logic-defying in a bad way. It did to Soul Eater what DIC did to "Zoicyte" in their SM dub, only there's no reason for it.

On that, I actually liked the Bowdlerized version of SM so I'm somewhat disappointed that it will be entirely absent. It won't be the same campy fun that I remember, at least not intentionally.

Will hulu truly look better than DVD? Yes, the resolution will be higher but without bit rate resolution is nothing. Macroblocking, banding, etc...for a while the Funimation streams were, despite higher resolution, noticeably worse than the DVD.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10