• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2014 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:53 am Reply with quote
Terraformars - This is a pretty awful show so far quite honestly. It's comically overwrought. The dialogue is awful. Back-story is clumsily and literally explained. The plot is very piecemeal so far. Nothing actually struck me as remotely interesting about the characters either. And finally, visually the show is actually quite ugly. The budget is obviously miniscule and the action scenes are tremendously insubstantial and the art style isn't much better either. It's like an attempt to ape the washed out, shadowy look of an old early 90s OVA but with none of the visual flair that actually made some of those works interesting to look at. I'm hoping it will get more interesting or at least entertaining once they get to Mars but so far I'm totally unimpressed. - 1.5/5

Gundam Reconguista in G - This show looks quite nice. Minimal CG, nice clean and colorful character and mecha designs and none of it is over-designed/over-detailed to the point of all blending together. Can't say as much for the story though. It's borderline passable I guess. It's not super coherent though and there are already way too many characters. The main character is also bordering on annoyingly perfect and hyper-competent. Could well get it together but so far I'm less than thrilled. - 2.5/5
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:01 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Why is no one, and I repeat, no one ever bringing up the fact that the humanoid cockroaches in Terraformars look like incredibly-racist caricatures of black people?
These forums are not your soapbox. No soapboxing.
Ali07

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:36 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
The bottom age would have to be 18 if they're holding down jobs, or multiple ones at that, as well as living independently. Joshiraku did the same thing with not making it perfectly clear how old the girls were when they all looked young, but I think a few of them were in their late 20s and married, and all except Kigu were at least 20.

Shocked Seriously? I loved Joshiraku! Thing is, with how the characters behaved, I wouldn't have thought that any could be in their late 20s...or married. Though, I don't remember if there were any references to age/marital status in that show.

I can understand that there could be a need to be 18 in Denki-gai, seeing as all the girls had to handle the ero-manga. I assume they wouldn't be portraying characters that are too young doing that.

As for the living independently, there are many anime/manga based around 16 year old characters that live on their own. So, for me, that didn't really help when trying to figure out the age of the characters. Laughing

Saw the 1st episode of I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying. Gotta say, the wedding scene was kind of depressing...though I did love the reference to Engaged to the Identified after it! Felt like, for a 3 minute episode, they tried to cram too much into it.

The part with the husband doing a review for a movie they just watched was gold. Especially when you look at the online comments people make for...basically any entertainment medium! Laughing

At the end of the 3 minutes, I've no idea why she married him...
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:16 am Reply with quote
I think the judgment on whether or not you should drop a show is best to do after watching the 1st 3-4 episodes because then you have somewhat of a feel for the show and have seen a little of what to expect. Of course,
this will vary from show to show. For a harem/fan service show, I can see why people might drop it by not even the 1st whole episode.
Veniamin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:32 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Terraformars - This is a pretty awful show so far quite honestly. It's comically overwrought. The dialogue is awful. Back-story is clumsily and literally explained. The plot is very piecemeal so far. Nothing actually struck me as remotely interesting about the characters either. And finally, visually the show is actually quite ugly. The budget is obviously miniscule and the action scenes are tremendously insubstantial and the art style isn't much better either. It's like an attempt to ape the washed out, shadowy look of an old early 90s OVA but with none of the visual flair that actually made some of those works interesting to look at. I'm hoping it will get more interesting or at least entertaining once they get to Mars but so far I'm totally unimpressed. - 1.5/5

Gundam Reconguista in G - This show looks quite nice. Minimal CG, nice clean and colorful character and mecha designs and none of it is over-designed/over-detailed to the point of all blending together. Can't say as much for the story though. It's borderline passable I guess. It's not super coherent though and there are already way too many characters. The main character is also bordering on annoyingly perfect and hyper-competent. Could well get it together but so far I'm less than thrilled. - 2.5/5

"Annoyingly perfect".

You what? How did you miss that he spoiler[lost twice and had someone die?]
princess passa passa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:33 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Why is no one, and I repeat, no one ever bringing up the fact that the humanoid cockroaches in Terraformars look like incredibly-racist caricatures of black people?

As an actual black person, they turned me off immediately to the series and I refuse to watch it no matter how good it could possibly be.

When I first read this I rolled my eyes and said, "oh there goes that wacky Chagen46 being Chagen46-ish again." I have only seen the first episode of the TV series and as JesuOtaku says, you don't really get a good look at the Cockroach Peeps.

So I image Googled and... dayum ... Chagen46 might actually be on to something.

I have to laugh SMH. The show was terrible to begin with and now you guys brought this to my attention and...

It's pretty sad.

But at the same time, I feel like it wasn't intentional? Or am I being naive and hoping for the best?

Last edited by princess passa passa on Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
jl07045

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:14 am Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
jl07045 wrote:
4chan's been on to the similarity and making jokes out of it for quite some time.

Thats 4chan acting like 4chan always does, I don't see how that is relevant.

It's relevant, because it's not just a couple of people on one forum.
誤称

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:19 am Reply with quote
Anonymous and 4chan are such heroes.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:

HitokiriShadow wrote:

There's "iyashikei", of which Aria is the defining example. I'm not sure it really applies to this, but it's not like there are specific requirements for show to be considered that, and like 'moe', it seems somewhat viewer dependent. I don't consider cute-girls-doing-things to be inherently 'iyashikei' though, and I don't see it used for most such shows.

It does apply to these kind of shows at all, its for shows such as Aria, Sketchbook, Non Non Biyori, tamayura etc..

Of course it gets used for some of them, I used the word "inherently" for a reason. I've definitely heard it used for Non Non and Tamayura, not sure about Sketchbook. On the other hand, I'm not sure I've ever heard K-On referred to that way, or KinMosa, or A-Channel, or Acchi Kocchi, or a number of other cute girl 4-koma-ish "slice of life" shows.

Edit: or did you mean to say "does not"? In which case, I'd agree, I just can't really explain the precise difference between this and Non Non Biyori or Tamayura.
Plasmaeclipse

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Given Japan's general xenophobia and cluelessness concerning foreign cultures it doesn't surprise me at all that the cockroach people come off as racist caricatures. Even if they were going for a Homo Erectus look anyone from the West, assuming they aren't racist themselves, probably would have looked at the cockroach designs and realized ya know this looks kinda racist maybe I should go more insectoid for this.
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:04 pm Reply with quote
So Funi just announced their lineup, and to my surprise/slight disappointment, they didn't get Parasyte or Seven Deadly Sins. (Which kinda begs the question, who did? Aniplex.....god I hope not...)

Still, they got some shows I'm looking forward to.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Looks like things will really start picking up tomorrow, with at least 3 shows scheduled.

Late next week we'll have a poll for everyone to let us know which series they'd like to see covered in Daily Streaming, so keep an eye out for that!
danilo07

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Gundam Reconguista in G : Tomino doesn't know how to write, that's for certain. I just experienced 40 minutes of continuous and seemingly pointless exposition. It's quite hard to follow or even care about information that's being spat in my face, and these characters never stop talking! No seriousl, they need to shut the fudge up once in a while, there isn't a single moment of silence. Christopher Nolan is a minimalist compared to Tomino. Editing is also not Tomino's strong side, in his cuts he removes a lot of transitional information that makes his scenes seems rough, disorienting and inorganic.
That said I like his archaic directorial style with a lot of weird zooms and close ups surrounded by the effects. It goes a long with goofy and occasionally cheesy story. The mechas have weight added to them and very earnest, simplistic designs. Kenichi Yoshida is a genius and his work here doesn't disappoint, the art direction is bright and colorful with great architectural designs. The effects animation in the second half were also splendid. I also liked how the lines got thicker to describe the proximity and strength of the attack. Anyway, I will probably watch more to see where it goes.

I need to watch Garo fast,look at that opening for God's sake. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8KW2PD1_BA
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Is there anywhere to watch the new Gundam legally?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm not thrilled with GReco yet when it's yelling in your face and slapping you with its sloppy editing and manic cutting. Any more of this and I'll probably suffer a migraine, the show never had a single moment that allowed it to breathe.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 33