• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Anime in Orbit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
There's a built in link to the post you quoted that anyone who wants to read the whole thing can click.

There is? Where is it hiding?
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:
There's a built in link to the post you quoted that anyone who wants to read the whole thing can click.

There is? Where is it hiding?

Woops. I guess this forum doesn't have it. It's pretty standard on all the other forums I frequent.

Honestly it just sounds like this forum software is in desperate need of an update.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:18 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
@Jose Cruz I [expletive] love your avatar.

Thanks. Why did you feel to comment about it here?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
brankoburcksen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Space Brothers might be one of my all-time favorite anime. I watched it streaming from beginning to end, and it was one of those shows I looked forward to each week for two years. I really hope it returns soon.

I love the humor, drama, the scale, the realism and most of all the, optimism. Yes, even in the US, the majority of shows aimed at adults have taken such a dark and cynical view of humanity, it is remarkable people have not grown tired of being entertained by the worst sides of our species. Space Brothers shows that even when looking towards the heavens there are so many challenges and conflicts to reaching any goal, throwing in some selfish a-holes would just feel contrived and unbelievable. Probably the only other series to hit me the same way was the The West Wing, a show about White House politics that somehow refused to drown in satire and cynicism about our defunct government.

It also helped that Space Brothers had nothing to do with teenagers or high school.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:22 pm Reply with quote
diadumenian wrote:
No 30-minute OVA packs a greater emotional punch than Voices of a Distant Star. A teenage schoolgirl, training for a war in distant space, tries to communicate her love to a soldier deployed for battle, as the distance between them increases by light years between messages. Really powerful stuff.

Wasn't it more like _she_'s the one deployed as defense on an outbound ship, and he's back on Earth? It's been so long since I watched it, I may have forgotten some of the details. I don't really remember what he was doing...

Time to get the disc out, again. It won't take long to rewatch.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:08 pm Reply with quote
The Wings of Honneamise knocked me on my ass, it's one of the most incredible movies I've ever seen.
glitteringloke

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:11 am Reply with quote
brankoburcksen wrote:
Space Brothers might be one of my all-time favorite anime. I watched it streaming from beginning to end, and it was one of those shows I looked forward to each week for two years. I really hope it returns soon.

I love the humor, drama, the scale, the realism and most of all the, optimism. Yes, even in the US, the majority of shows aimed at adults have taken such a dark and cynical view of humanity, it is remarkable people have not grown tired of being entertained by the worst sides of our species. Space Brothers shows that even when looking towards the heavens there are so many challenges and conflicts to reaching any goal, throwing in some selfish a-holes would just feel contrived and unbelievable. Probably the only other series to hit me the same way was the The West Wing, a show about White House politics that somehow refused to drown in satire and cynicism about our defunct government.

It also helped that Space Brothers had nothing to do with teenagers or high school.

if/when they restart the anime, you'll meet at least one of those good ole american a-holes and it's totally believeable.

space bros: the show/manga that makes me cry at least once every 3 episodes or chapters for joy or sad...
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:25 pm Reply with quote
This is was an interesting column. I remember Nora. I never saw the OVA but I remember the ad from all of the old anime magazines I still own. I never knew what the story was about. Just looking at the picture as well as the other entries, they just don't do shows like this anymore. And I don't really mean to knock anime today, because whatever the market demands that's what they want. But there are some good things out there. Plus, we are seeing an emergence of such original feature films with decent budgets. But I do miss the days of when anime was less than "otaku" driven.

Twin Spica, I really want to check this story out. We have the books here but I've never got around to reading them. My only failure was not following up with getting the rest of the books in the collection. It's a matter of space and manga takes up quite a bit. Now I regret it. I'll admit that I enjoyed the anime series.

Can't really think of any space shows that I liked as I'm not a big fan of space exploration, which is why I never got into Gundam. I've watched shows like Star Trek, Lost in Space or Space 1999 as a kid, but I doubt I'd revisit them. I guess you kind of have to have interest.

I definitely need to revisit Honneamise. I viewed it some years ago and I remember hearing about that whole controversy. Yet the film is still stands as one of Gainax's historic features upon their founding despite being a failure. This is definitely one to keep around for generations to come.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:30 am Reply with quote
This was an interesting column on anime in outer space. Especially that one part about the space race. I once videotaped two biographies,one on Serge Korolev and one on Werner von Braun. I've sometimes wondered how Korolev felt about his German-born American counterpart. How did he feel that the world knew Von Braun's name but he never really was well-known?
But that's not what's on my mind. The anime,"Prince Planet." I once read in "The Anime Encyclopedia" that it was set in the United States. Is that true? Did the people who made the anime set it in America or when it was brought here,did they localize it?
Maokun

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:12 am Reply with quote
Great article but I agree that it needed at least a token mention to Cowboy Bebop. While it often takes a background role to plot and character development, there's some great planetary exploration going on and the hints of a well-thought imaginary system of space-faring.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:57 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:
@Jose Cruz I [expletive] love your avatar.

Thanks. Why did you feel to comment about it here?

Ya no prob. Sorry my mind runs a mile a minute. Easier to post than compose a private message.
Sprocket

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:25 am Reply with quote
I will support any manga that has extensive cameos by the cast of Ghostbusters.

Soar on, Space Brothers, soar on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4