• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: RWBY Creator/Director Monty Oum Passes Away

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SailorDJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Oh my goodness. That's so sad. Crying or Very sad

R.I.P. Monty Oum
Z-Raid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:37 pm Reply with quote
This is very unfortunate news. R.I.P, Monty Oum. My sincerest condolences for his family, friends, and his fans for their loss.
Break Xerxes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:26 am Reply with quote
It's really sad to hear that, and at such a young age... Rwby just won't be the same without him.
Rest in peace Monty Oum.
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:35 am Reply with quote
While I can't stand RWBY, it sucks to see someone die so young. My condolences to his friends, family, and fans.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:40 am Reply with quote
I'm so sorry to hear the loss of such a creative, hard working animator. His untimely passing is being covered by news outlets around the world, including TIME magazine and Variety. It's heartening at least to know his talent was recognized and appreciated, and tragic to think of how far he could have gone if he had had more time.

My condolences to his family and friends.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:10 am Reply with quote
What a tragedy, he was only 33. Say what you want about the story, but the action scenes in RWBY have incredible choreography and style. Monty Oum will be missed.
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:25 am Reply with quote
Wow... That is tough. A great creative mind lost far too young. Allergies are serious business. A real shame...
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:20 am Reply with quote
willag wrote:
I just finished watching the podcast on Rooster teeth, and there were so many great, fascinating, interesting stories shared. How dedicated he was to working and always creating new ideas. How often he'd stay up for 30 hours at a time. How, after he was first hired on and Rooster teeth bought him an expensive laptop even though some other people were still using their laptops from home, he used a screwdriver to rip off the keys from the keyboard that he thought were useless or would interfere with his work if he accidentally pressed them (CAPS, F1). How obsessed he was with efficiency that he'd get irked when people were using their mouses instead of using shortcuts on their keyboards during meetings. How he rarely ever came to work wearing the same outfit. How for an entire week he'd have the movie Avatar playing on one of his dual screen monitors at half speed and no sound just so he could watch how the characters were animated and moved. How, even on vacations, he'd take his laptop and come back with three new working models or ideas. How he'd always be constantly tinkering or building things and would often destroy other co-workers desks in the process because he was playing with epoxy or scratching things with tools.

It's depressing to think of all the more he could have accomplished. But it's amazing what he has provided in the time he could.

Thank you, Monty. You'll be missed.

Oh man...! That part in bold.... you know, this news at first felt so disheartening that I didn't want to do anything for the rest of the day. Then I thought, I don't want to spend an indefinite period just sleeping. So I browse around and saw your post. Man, I don't know when exactly I would feel up for seeing/hearing that podcast episode, but I really want to. Specifically with what you mentioned that I put in bold about studying the animations on Avatar, that reminds me of what I use to do in high school.

On Saturday mornings, I would have animation class, which often had me excited to study more about animation when I get home. Later on Saturday evenings, I would have my butt glued to my bed tuning in to Toonami on Cartoon Network through what at the time was my old, bulky TV set with a built-in VCR and record what would be on using a blank VHS tape. Then some time into the following week, whenever I had time, I would get some blank index cards, playback the same VHS tape I recorded those shows on, and then pause certain scenes that caught my interest and put them in slow motion so I could draw each frame on the index cards I had.

You know someone is passionate and dedicated about animation, illustration, cartooning, or filmmaking when he/she does something like what Monty Oum did. In fact, watching an animation on mute is I learned in art college is good practice if you love animation enough to want to not just watch it, but also study it. A lot of people like to use the word 'talent' to describe people that have a certain skill and made accomplishments worth paying attention to. These days, that word personally makes me cringe inside because people seem to picture someone with talent as being born and having spent their whole life on top of a mountain and don't really ask themselves, "how did that guy get on the mountain?" Now knowing more where Monty Oum was coming from as a person, even if he was always talented and skilled, he definitely built on that over time a lot with passion and dedication and turned into the kind of guy that I wish I was more like. It's probably part of the reason I like RWBY so much, warts and all, despite how critics always ridiculed the show. And this is not to say that no one else that pursues the animation industry also grew up like this or that I have anything against those people. I know most who pursue being in the industry come from that same sense of passion. That said, there was something about Monty Oum and being aware of how he was known for starting out doing amateurish work that just happened to click with me more.

I really do appreciate it willag that you shared that summary of the Rooster Teeth Podcast episode. At first, I wasn't sure if I ever wanted to listen to it. But now sooner or later, I'll be sure to.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:51 am Reply with quote
Dang. This is just sad.
When i first heard he was hospitalized, i thought it was because of exhaustion since Monty was a Workaholic. With the wave of donations by fans for paying his medical bills, i was hoping he will recover soon, thank the fans and continue his work albeit slowly.
Then came the news today that he died. That was a shocker to me. And to think it came from an allergic reaction.
I'm sad for his passing as he inspired countless people thanks to his work.
My condolences to his family and colleagues at Roosterteeth.
RIP Monty Oum.
iAmDot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:28 am Reply with quote
omg this is very sad and shocking. Died at 33....i dont know what to say..

You always make a super awesome fighting scene Sad RIP.
Seiru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:41 am Reply with quote
I just can't believe it.When I heard he was in the hospital I thought that he will be alright but this?Just wow I just can't believe it.I only watched RWBY but it was very enjoyable especially the battle scenes.My older sister,older brother and I would watch it together when it released each week and we will just rave about the episodes especially the fight scenes.We just couldn't get enough of it haha.This is very heartbreaking my condolences to his family he was very young.But his works will live on and inspire,hopefully,a lot of people and entertain many more.I know it did for us.

May you rest in peace Monty Oum you will be missed. Crying or Very sad
natchu96

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:23 am Reply with quote
There seems to be a suspiciously tragic tendency in history of great men dying at the age of 33 . . .

RIP, Monty. We'll miss you.

At least with RWBY's case there was technically already a whole team working on it, so they probably still have the plot written down somewhere and we'll eventually see how it ends. But the fights will never be the same . . .

Surely they'll finish it, I mean. Make it Monty's sendoff project. That thing deserves to be finished.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:21 am Reply with quote
Seiru wrote:
I just can't believe it.When I heard he was in the hospital

And that news only broke out on Fri-Saturday... Confused Shocked
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:31 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
Wow... That is tough. A great creative mind lost far too young. Allergies are serious business. A real shame...

No kidding. I went partially blind from an allergic reaction called Steven Johnson's Syndrome, or Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis. People always seem shocked when I tell them how I became visually disabled, but in the hospital the nurses told me I was lucky to be alive.
I can't stress it enough: if you have started a new medication and get any kind of negative symptom, especially a burning sensation in the mucus membranes or a rash, stop taking the medication and go to an emergency room! What warning labels and sadly misinformed personal doctors think of as "just a rash" can turn into a deadly full body chemical burn within days.

I don't know what exactly Monty Oum passed from and I want to respect the family's privacy, but if it was something preventable like SJS I do hope they publicize it. The lack of general knowledge about it is harrowing, and knowledge can save lives.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:13 pm Reply with quote
And that's why I stick to non-traditional medicine, these days its a business that cares about money more than patients well being. 33 is too young to go (considering it wasn't an accident or something like cancer)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5