• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU TOO! [2015-04-18]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Metal Fennrir

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 1:27 am Reply with quote
In regards to how this episode handled itself, I gotta say that it did so very well. We're barely scratching the tip of the iceberg in this particular arc, after all, and even tho the hand movements were a bit... much... they were still appropriate for the situation.

I'm worried, however, at how some people are gonna see the problem the Student Council is handling (internal problem, not the external one). But I'm sure by next week (and with enough screen time on those guys), it'll all clear up nice and easy
GrimaH

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Crunchyroll messed up on the subtitles at the critical moment big time. Again.

At the last scene in the latest episode, spoiler[Yukino tells Hachiman, "If that's all it took for *the club* to break down, maybe we weren't that close in the first place.]

Crunchyroll translated it as spoiler["If you were to break down, that's all there is to it."]

That's so off for such an important statement in such a critical point in the series. It's inexcusable.
Rob49152

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 3:46 pm Reply with quote
GrimaH wrote:
Wow, Crunchyroll messed up on the subtitles at the critical moment big time. Again.

At the last scene in the latest episode, spoiler[Yukino tells Hachiman, "If that's all it took for *the club* to break down, maybe we weren't that close in the first place.]

Crunchyroll translated it as spoiler["If you were to break down, that's all there is to it."]

That's so off for such an important statement in such a critical point in the series. It's inexcusable.

Oh wow. Seeing what the statement was supposed of been completely changes my view of this scene!! Mainly because now it makes actual sense. Way to drop the ball Crunchyroll.

Or as they would put it in this case 'We can't see the non-cube. I've let go of things'
Zeres

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 3:53 pm Reply with quote
This anime is incredible. I discovered it by accident, just searching for something to watch. What an amazing ride so far.

The reviews are excellent. Really one of my favorite things about ANN.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 6:49 pm Reply with quote
GrimaH wrote:

Are you sure about that? I can't say I'm fluid in japanese and I've only taken a few classes, but the line sounds closer to what crunchyroll translated it as than what you're translating it as.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Japanese being what it is, the subject of the sentence isn't made explicit. I think the club makes more sense. The second half of the sentence is definitely "then that's all there was to it," though. The alternative translation makes it more clear what is being said, I guess.
Via_01

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:
Are you sure about that? I can't say I'm fluid in japanese and I've only taken a few classes, but the line sounds closer to what crunchyroll translated it as than what you're translating it as.

I was a bit doubtful as well, but then I went back to episode 2, where Hachiman says the exact same thing to Hayato, and yeah, I believe what @GrimaH said is a much better translation of what Yukino is trying to say.

In other words, the line is a reference to Hachiman's criticism towards Hayato's group, which really gives Yukino's words a whole new meaning.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Zeres wrote:
The reviews are excellent. Really one of my favorite things about ANN.

Nick is really turning out some great work on this series. I wrote in the Disappearance Yuki thread that I was either all hot or all cold with his reviews. This one I am not only all-up on, but he has laid it out in a way that makes me realized I missed a couple of critical things.

As for the episode, I don't mind but they have played a bit of a game to give the impression they wanted. This inter-school committee must have been getting some work done otherwise things wouldn't have progressed at all. Yet the only decisions we get to see being made are the ones Hachiman acting for Iorha makes.

That Kaori -- I wonder if she is mentally retarded.
Nayre

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:18 pm Reply with quote
"Hikki has been trying to hold on to things well past their breaking point, and they're beginning to crumble in his hands."
----
First, it's '"PASSED" their breaking point', not "PAST".
----
Every episode is getting better and better. Damn! Those ending lines really hit me. Cant wait for next week episode. The real drama begins.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Nayre wrote:
"Hikki has been trying to hold on to things well past their breaking point, and they're beginning to crumble in his hands."
----
First, it's '"PASSED" their breaking point', not "PAST".
----
Every episode is getting better and better. Damn! Those ending lines really hit me. can't wait for next week episode. The real drama begins.

Naw, it's past.

Past is a preposition (notifier of position of a subject/object) modifying the placement of the noun "things." Specifically, these things are past the "breaking point." That is the location of these things. They exist past the breaking point.

"Passed" would be a verb in past tense or a past participle adverb. Its usage as a verb is impossible in this sentence, and it cannot be an adverb because it is modifying a noun (things) and not an adjective or verb.

Oh, the exciting world of grammar~
Via_01

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 11:02 am Reply with quote
I believe the review forgot to mention Hikki's interaction with the grade schooler he "helped" back in the camping trip, as I believe it was fairly important. We first see her as somewhat cold towards Hikki, and his own comment on the situation (I believe it was some sort of "I destroyed her relationships, so it's only natural she'd help me") makes us believe that she doesn't like him much.

However, she still thanks him for the help, which I interpreted as thanks for helping her with the decorative stars but also for the other time, as it allowed her to form true relationships with her friends. Later on, Hikki comments that even though his methods may not have been the best, he still managed to save some things. That's something that stuck with me, as it shows that he acknowledges somewhat that he made a difference in others, enough of a difference to be thanked for it, which all in all seems to be a step forward into seeing himself under a better light or acknowledging his own worth, as Hayato said a few episodes back.
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Via, your interpretation of that scene is actually backwords. Rumi never formed true relationships with her friends - Hachiman completely broke those relationships with his "solution" at the camp. Instead, she embraced Hachiman's philosophy, finding pleasure in being alone and deriding her own peers. She smiles because she's one of the few who was working hard, and because she was acknowledged by an adult, but to Hachiman, she's exactly what's wrong with him. His solutions only ever make things worse, and seeing her become just like him after he's begun to realize his own problems just brings it all home. That's why he sends her away to work with her classmates. He doesn't want her to keep going on his path.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Japanese being what it is, the subject of the sentence isn't made explicit. I think the club makes more sense. The second half of the sentence is definitely "then that's all there was to it," though. The alternative translation makes it more clear what is being said, I guess.

Although it's just as reasonable to take it to mean "their friendship" (as in when Hachiman said it regarding Hayato's group) as the club, though those are close to the same thing. I probably wouldn't have exactly translated it as Crunchyroll did.
Kulekiller

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8 just completely broke me down.
To see Hachiman like that, to see everyone in the club like that...
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
That phrase comes to mind whenever I think of this anime, and this episode just encompases that so well.
It's so beautiful.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Easily my favorite episode of any show this season so far. Everything about that second half was absolutely incredible, from the animation to the writing to the VA work. Amazing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8