• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Details Fate/stay night: UBW, Durarara!!×2 Shō Release Details

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GalicianNightmare

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:53 am Reply with quote
@FrameFreeze100 I hope you're not implying that vocal range is what is required to be a good voice actor, because it's not. No credible voice actor would say that vocal range is what requires one to be a good VA. It's about being able to act believably within a role. Bryce and Todd aren't bad because they have no range. They're bad because they're bad. They can't act well enough. Their acting is poor.

Besides, as one VA puts it, range without acting isn't range. It's just playing at voices. If you want a VA who can't act, but merely plays with voices, look at Tara Strong. Very overrated and bad actress. No emotion, no passion. Just does a bunch of voices, so in many regards, she is worse than Bryce and Todd.

@FilthyCasual David Earnest was Gilgamesh in Fate/Zero's dub as well. Grant George became F/Z's Lancer, whilst Earnest became Gil/Archer.
MischievousMelody

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:29 am Reply with quote
Bryce Papenbrook is voicing Shirou.

WHY AM I NOT SURPRISED?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I think it's not much of a stretch to say that many Japanese seiyuu (specifically, Kana Hanazawa) are overused much more than many reused Eng. dub VA. Sure, I do see the occasional complaint or comment about this happening but isn't as often.

Can someone please give me some possible explanations as to why tends to be the case? Just because it's the original version doesn't mean it's better.
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:50 pm Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:
It's always a sad thing to see good anime tarnished with English dubs. *sigh*

It's always a pitiable thing to see such a tiny, tiny voice in anime fandom like yours whine the way you do. :)

DuchessBianca wrote:
I agree exactly, I'll never understand why people go out of their way to belittle others over something so silly as what audio track they prefer, just enjoy things in the way that you like it and let others enjoy it how they like it, no one is more special or better for preferring subs or vice versa.

While this is true, 0nsen is being obnoxious about it, saying that dubs ruin anime. Sub purists like that tend to be incredibly irritating and force their preference down everyone's throat. Their only lackluster justification is always, "English sucks, where's the Japanese audio?" We certainly don't need this attitude in the anime fandom at all (especially at conventions) and it'd be preferable if they just shut up, but their brain-to-mouth filters don't exactly work properly. Watching subbed anime online does that to these clowns.

Last edited by Just-another-face on Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
What I want to know is if Durarara!! x2 will actually have "songs and signs" track. For some reason, the Aniplex releases pretty much never have that - which is pretty stupid given how much more they cost - but it was horrible with Durarara!! because Celty is frequently communicating by typing on her phone, and you have to turn on the full subtitles to have any idea what she's saying. You'd think that they'd at least have had a "songs and signs" track in that case, but no...

Yeah
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
I'm a little sore DRRR!! can't be more affordable for fans who can't drop over $100 for one season, but I'm still happy it's being dubbed/released in the U.S. at all, so mostly good feelings.

Well, from favored stores the DVD squeaks in at $100. Coming in at less than a limb makes me suspect there is a Toonami run is in the works (or they cleaned-up on streaming shares and feel magnanimous.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4