• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
DeNA Confirms MyAnimeList Buyout

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:03 am Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
yaki-udon wrote:
One of my American friends once told me that if I wanted to be fluent in English, I would have to stay far away from Myanimelist, Reddit, and 4chan.

Your friend was mistaken then.
I could say stay away from American altogether, but I won't. Laughing
Rederoin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:35 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Rederoin wrote:
yaki-udon wrote:
One of my American friends once told me that if I wanted to be fluent in English, I would have to stay far away from Myanimelist, Reddit, and 4chan.

Your friend was mistaken then.
I could say stay away from American altogether, but I won't. Laughing

Or just forums in general if you want to learn english.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Buzz101 wrote:
I looked up it's google cache, that link is genuinely absurd, the entire thing reads like Crunchyroll are somehow doing something evil, yet proceeds only to tell us that internet hosting and employing people is expensive, and Crunchyroll commit the immortal sin of daring to cover their own costs...
I first saw that article linked, appropriately enough, on an MAL thread about how bad CR supposedly is. It's just a bunch of baseless outside speculation with no access to real numbers, and fails to answer the central question of "Why would Japanese companies spend time and energy on business deals that are a net negative to them?"

That said, it must be DeNA pushing this streaming initiative, because MAL's userbase is generally so against legal streams, official subs (in terms of visuals and translation practices), and legal anything that I can't imagine they were clamoring for this.

configspace wrote:
Best anime database and system so far is http://anidb.net
It'll give you everything, all versions of a title (Japanese, romanized, official English and all other known foreign names), proper categories unlike MAL which tends to make them up, complete staff info with Japanese and romanized names, and seiyuu cross referencing (including aliases) and short bio and character lists, season calendar, various ways to sort titles, user tags (separate from proper categories) and fansub tracking, all related links, including to MAL and official site entries like ANN, EN and JP wikipedia, official Japanese sites and TV schedules.
The staff/production info tends to be woefully incomplete compared to ANN or even MAL, in my experience.
Buzz201

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I first saw that article linked, appropriately enough, on an MAL thread about how bad CR supposedly is. It's just a bunch of baseless outside speculation with no access to real numbers, and fails to answer the central question of "Why would Japanese companies spend time and energy on business deals that are a net negative to them?"

That said, it must be DeNA pushing this streaming initiative, because MAL's userbase is generally so against legal streams, official subs (in terms of visuals and translation practices), and legal anything that I can't imagine they were clamoring for this.

I don't really understand why anybody could be opposed to somebody else doing what they've been doing illegally for years, but legally and generally for free, in a way that supports the industry? Just doesn't make any sense to me... Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4