• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 84% of Japanese College Students Have Never Read Dragon Ball

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Nescio

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:27 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
@Mr Nescio I did explain why I thought the coin flipping example was not appropriate:
Yes, you did give an explanation, but I honestly don't think the explanation makes much sense. Without more explicit analysis, but I think that the in the explanation you seem to imply that human states (e.g. having read DB manga or not) cannot be treated as random variables, which of course would make using statistics in fields like psychology and social sciences impossible.

CrowLia wrote:
It's true that I am not very well-versed in terms of statistics, but my general point is that the sample is too small to make definitive claims about whether or not DB is still an influential series among college students, which is what the wording of the title and the article indicate
My point is that many people seem to think that the proportion (sample size/size of the statistical population) has to be relatively large to make meaningful statistical inferences, but that is false, as in many cases the proportion can be near or actually zero without creating any problems.

If you want to criticize the survey you must look at the sampling procedure or question the honesty of the respondents etc., but in the case of there being no such imperfections, then a sample size of 400 would give a substantial amount of evidence even if there were an infinite amount of Japanese college students.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Nescio wrote:
CrowLia wrote:
@Mr Nescio I did explain why I thought the coin flipping example was not appropriate:
Yes, you did give an explanation, but I honestly don't think the explanation makes much sense. Without more explicit analysis, but I think that the in the explanation you seem to imply that human states (e.g. having read DB manga or not) cannot be treated as random variables, which of course would make using statistics in fields like psychology and social sciences impossible.

How can the human experience be equivalent to flipping a coin? There is nothing random about human opinion, because it is shaped by a number of variables depending on the individual's life experience. A college student in Tokyo who has studied overseas for a year and comes from a middle-class family is likely to have completely different views and experiences than a college student in Aomori that grew up in a small town in the mountains as part of a farmer's family and that has never been outside of his own prefecture. A coin is a coin, it doesn't matter if it's big or small, if it's a euro or a yen, if you flip it in Italy or in Australia, the result is completely random. I just can't fathom how that can be equivalent to human experience that is so heavily influenced by every individual's context. Whether you've read DB or not it's not random, it depends on whether it was available to you, if it was popular or well-known, if you have any interest in manga at all, etc. etc.

I don't even like DB tbh. Like I said, I don't know much about statistics, but the way you phrase it -if a pool of 400 people is enough to absolutely claim that college students don't care about DB anymore-, it makes it sound as if statistics actually don't tell you anything and are completely arbitrary, so they should always be taken with a grain of salt *shrug*
Mr. Nescio

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:38 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
With all due respect, your latest post indicates that you have a severe lack of understanding about statistics, how it works, how it is applied etc. Fortunately, the Internet surely has texts about concepts likes randomness written by better writers and teachers than me, so you can start fixing the holes in your knowledge anytime you want.

I truly think that education in this subject is important as statistical thinking plays such a huge part in so many different fields of human knowledge, so if one knows nothing of it, a deep understanding about the world is virtually impossible.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
If you were originally a child when Dragon Ball was in serialization (1984-1995), you'd be in your mid/late-20s to mid/late-30s now. Today's Japanese college students aren't the children of those kids.

No one born in 1995 would be among the main audience who read this manga during the original run as they couldn't read and wouldn't be likely to pick up the magazine until around age 6 at the earliest. The target demographic age for Weekly Shonen Jump is elementary school kids and early middle schoolers. The actual birth years of whomever read the manga during its original run would probably be 1978-1989 at the earliest with older kids born even earlier too.

Four year college students right now would have been born 1994-1997. If someone read Dragon Ball at 10 y/o instead of 6, at the beginning of its run, they'd be 41 years old right now. It would be entirely feasible for them to have a freshman in college.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:08 am Reply with quote
@CrowLia:

To try and better state what Mr. Nescio's driving at, the most important factor in any poll is the composition of its respondents and whether it's sufficiently representative of the population being surveyed; this is what determines whether or not the poll is worth a pitcher of warm spit. The sample size merely affects the margin of error(which wasn't reported here).
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:49 am Reply with quote
@JoseCruz Anecdotal evidence and appeal to authority aren't examples of evidences. Given how the proportion of people who watch Avengers (mainly male and mostly 18 and above) he wouldn't be wrong/

Also, people should know how stats work. Polls consistently show low support in the US for evolution. Consistently. We're not asking 150 million Americans, but we don't have to. That's how polls work. They're generalized questions targeted to specific demographics.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I feel like whereas a small sample size can work, it can still be skewed if most of the people ask belong to a particular ideology or some other mindset, and this is invoked accidentally most often by asking only people in a specific geographical area.

To use the Avengers movies as an example again, you can go to UCLA and poll a thousand students if they have seen it and if they have liked it, and you will likely find an overwhelmingly positive response, as UCLA, due to its proximity to Hollywood, is seen by young Hollywood fans as a relatively easy way to get into the business, and thus you'll get a lot of Hollywood fans attending UCLA. Travel about 400 miles north to UC Berkeley, and survey the same questions to a thousand people there and, despite it being a different campus in the same university system, you will likely get an overwhelmingly negative response due to the school's anti-authoritarian and anti-establishment reputation bringing such people there. That being said, you could survey students in the film department at UC Berkeley and you might just see a very positive response anyway, as you have to be a film fan to choose film as a major.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:32 pm Reply with quote
The most important thing is if it's random.
We don't know if it's random.

The sample size will be covered by the margin of error, so don't worry about that.

But it has to be random (within the specifications - in this case, that spec is "Japanese college students").
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I can certainly understand the last reason, the one about the anime being satisfying enough, as a reason not to read the manga. For as much anime as I've watched over the years, I've read comparatively very little manga because most anime is satisfying enough that I don't feel the need to read the manga.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:34 am Reply with quote
I find this somewhat surprising. They said it's too long but I bet they read 'One Piece' now that is LOOOOOOONG. Well, it's to be expected given the reasons.
I guess it seems that anime is the easy go to medium that will at least get folks to sort of pick up a book and read it. But not necessarily.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4