• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: D.Gray-man Hallow

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
There is a very adult love story hidden inside all the overly romantic doom and gloom here.

First off, thank you so much Anne for calling what Kanda and Alma had exactly what it was: a tragic love story. So many times in other forums people insist it was just a "friendship" but the anime did a wonderful job recreating the heartache of seeing two lovers forced by their so-called comrades to come back to life. Alma was fueled by animosity but in the end Kanda got to see the real him/her even as their soul was destroyed. Hallow had its share of problems in the earlier episodes by speeding up some chapters but this has always been my favorite arc from D. Gray Man. I was tearing up once Kanda called Allen by his real name!!! Crying or Very sad

But with only a few episodes left, I hope the possibility of a second Hallow anime to cover spoiler[Allen's struggle with Nea and the Noah] is high.
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:

But with only a few episodes left, I hope the possibility of a second Hallow anime to cover spoiler[Allen's struggle with Nea and the Noah] is high.

My guess is that Hallow will end with spoiler[Allen leaving the Order]
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it looks like the ending point will be right before the beginning of the spoiler["Searching for A.W."] arc, which is still ongoing in the manga. After that, who knows if/when the anime will come back, considering how slowly the serialization has been going, and the fact that there's not enough material for another season yet.

Last edited by Zhou-BR on Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
tsuukaku478

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Nodz wrote:
Yes but Matera is a real city, like London, Paris or Barcelona.
In English, French, Spanish or Italian, the city is called Matera, and not Mater (even the japonese wikipedia page calls it Matera: [url]https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/マテーラ[/url]).

Even if Funimation misspelled it, it's not a reason to repeat the mistake, unless the reviewer doesn't know the city of Matera.

I agree that it's based on Matera, or meant to be Matera (in the alternate/imaginary 1890s setting); the reason Funimation calls it Mater is because the city in DGM is called マテー Matēru and not マテー Matēra. The connection is still blatant, though; the first anime even copy-pastes English-language information about Matera into Komui's documents onscreen. I used to wonder whether the mangaka tweaked the name spelling because its depiction wasn't very flattering, but that speculation doesn't have any hard evidence behind it. Anyway, Funimation were just working with what they were given.

Beansprout Midget wrote:
I think some point this past summer it was confirmed by Hoshino the 'D' stood for 'Dear'. So, 'Dear Gray-man'. Though, your comments still are a good speculation at what that still means.

I found a clip of that part of that Nico livestream here, though actual Japanese intonation seems quite different from all the anime I'm used to, so it's difficult for me to catch all the words. I haven't tried to work out a transcript, but you can hear her saying "Dear D.Gray-man" several times, and commenting on "Dear ---" as in the beginning of a letter to someone.

Knoepfchen wrote:
There are several different romanizations flying around for people and place names between the manga and both anime series. Sadly, they have not been consistent. I've tried to stick to the names used in Hallow.

Yes, the romanizations are all over, even just comparing the official spellings from Japanese supplementary material to those used by Viz and Funimation for the English manga, the DVDs/streaming subs for 1-51 of the first series, and Hallow. Add in an even larger amount of romanizations that only exist in fan convention, and you have a huge mess. Some fans are unaware of the spellings provided in Japanese sources, and others are aware but dislike them and refuse to use them.

To make it even worse, the Japanese-provided name spellings are (very rarely) inconsistent in a few places. For the most part, Funimation's spellings for Hallow's subs are more in sync with the Japanese spellings than Viz's manga are, though a few like "Jiji", "Zu Mei", and "Malcom" have differed (Gray Party writes "Gigi Lujun" and "Zuu Mei Chang"). ("Malcom=C=Lvellie" does appear on Hallow's official Japanese website, though Gray Ark and Gray Party spell his name "Malcolm").[/i]
Nodz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:48 pm Reply with quote
tsuukaku478 wrote:
Nodz wrote:
Yes but Matera is a real city, like London, Paris or Barcelona.
In English, French, Spanish or Italian, the city is called Matera, and not Mater (even the japonese wikipedia page calls it Matera: [url]https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/マテーラ[/url]).

Even if Funimation misspelled it, it's not a reason to repeat the mistake, unless the reviewer doesn't know the city of Matera.

I agree that it's based on Matera, or meant to be Matera (in the alternate/imaginary 1890s setting); the reason Funimation calls it Mater is because the city in DGM is called マテー Matēru and not マテー Matēra. The connection is still blatant, though; the first anime even copy-pastes English-language information about Matera into Komui's documents onscreen. I used to wonder whether the mangaka tweaked the name spelling because its depiction wasn't very flattering, but that speculation doesn't have any hard evidence behind it. Anyway, Funimation were just working with what they were given.[/i]

You're right, but the city is not called マテーラ only in DGM, also in real life. But they romanize it as Matera. The mangaka didn't tweak the name.
It's a little like the case of Carla in Fairy Tail, whose name is シャルル ("Charuru) in Japanese.
simona.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Because DGM is set on an 'alternative' [fantasy] world based on the one we live in, the author is purposedly tweaking names [of characters, places, etc.]

[I am the official Italian version's first translator so I've had my series of headaches over this Wink ]
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Huh. As long as the anime doesn't try to do an "original" ending, I won't even mind if the end feels incomplete. Just give us another season in six years or so.
Beansprout Midget

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I never gasped so hard for a Hallow episode like I did. I didn't expect them to rush straight into the next arc spoiler[ And Apocryphos for that matter]. I though they'd wait even just a little bit; but nope; they're getting on the ball rolling.
After noticing spoiler[ Allen with his Apocryphos-infected arm, lying in that infamous alleyway from the current arc with gold eyes] in the beginning of the OP, I was kinda scared to see how fast they would push through the material. But now that we're here, and have three more weeks left Crying or Very sad, something tells me they might push past the obvious ending point spoiler[ Allen leaving the Order] and instead end it somewhere beyond it. Not far obviously, but somewhere a little closer towards the manga. And leave it on a cliffhanger !

spoiler[Are they gonna address Kanda's returning to the Order, or leave him as a dead man like Cross?]
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Murase deserves an award for that final scene. Also, I noticed the studio did some justice to some characters that became minor during this arc (Lavi, Lenalee, etc)
Gwydion

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:28 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, once the series got going, I never really thought they would leave it of at the obvious stopping point - they would have had to severely drag things out after those incredibly rushed first few episodes, and that just didn't make sense. The pacing has been pretty wonky this series, but I didn't think it'd get quite that bad (though episodes like this one are trying very hard to prove me wrong, lol).

So where the heck is it gonna end? Well, I had some guesses, but with how slow the last couple have been, those are now out of the question. At this point I'm starting to think they might leave it off right after spoiler[Kanda gets his Innocence back, making it clear he came back for Allen's sake after what happened with Alma and hinting perhaps at him and Johnny teaming up.] Any spot would be a cliffhanger, but that one feels the most... hopeful? Positive? I dunno. Or they could drag out spoiler[the story from Allen's childhood for the entire last episode and just leave Kanda as a dead man,] though that seems like a weird place to leave it, frankly. But the pacing has been so inconsistent it's hard to guess.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm reasonably sure the spoiler["are you an angel"] scene from chapter 208 will be the ending point for this season. It's even briefly shown in the opening.
Beansprout Midget

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Damn, Ayumu Murase. Round of applause, that was great.

Now we're on Hallow's last legs, I'm sticking with my previous post about the ending series. It WILL end past the whole upcoming part with the Allen/Lenalee confrontation, that's for sure. I think they'll end the series with spoiler[ Link 'dead'] and spoiler[Kanda returning to the Order]. I also think that spoiler[Our fellow Johnny will take his leave from the Order in his search for Allen.] by the end of Episode 13.

As for Allen, I'd place him past the whole spoiler[ street-side clown act he puts on.] Heck, maybe it would end around the time spoiler[Kanda and Johnny find him]. Again I'm looking towards the first shot of the OP, with spoiler[Allen in that darned alley with Apocryphos's little feathers and the golden eye of the Noahs.], so I'm guessing they are pushing more towards that point in the manga.

(Still another month till the next chapter Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad )
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Allen's interactions with Tyki and Road feel well done even though they are supposed to be enemies and Allen has declared twice he will remain as an Exorcist rather than a Noah. Also, looks like the latest episode and the next ones have some fillers with that happened to the Thirds as well as what Lenalee said in the preview. Episode 13 could be the sidestory where spoiler[Allen starts recovering from his post traumastic disorder even though he began talking like Mana.]
Beansprout Midget

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:43 pm Reply with quote
^Oh man, I totally forgot about the Allen recovery pages in the manga. Sure, they could adapt those, but would It be a good place to end Hallow? Eh, I don't think so, but I wouldn't be surprised if they adapted it.

Geez, looking back, the pacing for Hallow really is/was funky. I noticed the animation first before the pacing; depending on the episode (Episode 7 comes to mind especially to me). This episode felt...almost more slowed down pacing wise vs. episode 3/4 involving Timothy, which had it's foot slammed on the gas pedal practically the entire time. Now, I'm curious as to the pacing of the next two episodes.

Again, all my opinion, Smile
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:18 pm Reply with quote
The pacing of the whole series has been so weird. They could've wallowed a little more in the emotional beats of Kanda and Alma's tragedy, but it felt like they sped through those hard.
I don't exactly remember the timeline in the manga, but given how little material they have before diving headfirst into the Search for A.W., and with how this series has been marketed as spoiler[the Kanda arc, I think it might end with Kanda returning to the Order and starting the search for Allen (i don't remember if he joins Johnny from the get-go or if he meets him later though)]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5