• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Occultic;Nine Episodes Temporarily Removed From Crunchyroll, Daisuki

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:39 am Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
Since we're open to wild speculations, I think that maybe it's because of the NicoNico appearing in the first 2 episodes. If they haven't got the rights to put it... I was surprised they didn't even turn it into "MicoMico" or something like that. Like they usually turn Youtube into Yotobe, etc.

Actually, it was turned into "NiccoNico" (ニっコニコ). Not much, but then again, neither is "FadeBook" or "YoTube".
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:42 pm Reply with quote
It's hard to imagine it is any sort of quality issue, VA issue, story issue, or anything similar, as episode 3 is up and streaming. There has been no time to change any of those things, short of a character in the first two episodes who didn't appear in episode 3 being the source of the issue, that would allow a story or production issue like that to be resolved so quickly. It likely isn't some controversy over the murder in the episodes since they're still talking about the case in episode 3, so you'd have to assume they'd put a stop to that episode too if that were the case. Regalia started last season and was halted for a while with the first 4 episodes rebroadcast because they didn't like the animation quality. As crazy as that was, it makes infinitely more sense than continuing to air episodes you have to re-edit anyway, unless some contractual matter is blocking you from just pulling the plug.

My guess is that there was some confusion or error in the streaming agreement, and that it was "patched" in time to allow the rest of the episodes to go up, but they're rehashing that issue to settle what to do about the first 2 episodes. It's probably something similar to whatever the case was with Cat Planet Cuties a while back, where Crunchy had up to episode 5 or something like that in their library for a while, but not the full series (I think Funimation had the full thing). Of course, no one likes to be caught in contractual disputes, so their probably keeping things quiet until they figure out the streaming issue and fix it.
jyuichi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps the original article should be updated to clarify the takedown is on all sites (including domestic Japanese) and not a international issue.

Glancing at the Japanese blogosphere I see some speculation about the earthquake but no solid consensus on why it would be taken down.
robertbaldie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:34 pm Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
If you have to watch a show a bunch of times to fool yourself into thinking it's quality, then I'm sorry, your show is trash. There's nothing wrong with liking a bad show but it's an insult to anime as an art form to try and pretend something so awful is actually good and then chastise others for pointing out the reality. And people complaining about the ratings not being representative are just being sour grapes about it.

This.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:03 am Reply with quote
jyuichi wrote:
Perhaps the original article should be updated to clarify the takedown is on all sites (including domestic Japanese) and not a international issue.
Glancing at the Japanese blogosphere I see some speculation about the earthquake but no solid consensus on why it would be taken down.

Okay, putting on my detective glasses, I think I can make a pretty good educated guess about what happened.

Evidence 1: Episodes 1 + 2 suddenly taken down from all places streaming them on the internet worldwide "by request of the Production Committee" without any further explanation.
Evidence 2: Episode 3 airs with no issue, streams with no issue.

The sudden taking down of episodes 1-2 worldwide means it wasn't some problem with streaming rights (in that case it would only effect domestic or international, but not both).
If it was a quality issue, they wouldn't take down the episodes before a replacement was available, and episode 3 would surely have been delayed.
If it was due to an outside threat of lawsuit or other copyright issue, they probably would have made a statement to that effect, and episode 3 would have probably been delayed too.

So, considering all of that I suspect it was probably this:
There was an error in the credits. Maybe someone was not included who should have been, or there was a mispelling or usage of someone's real name without their permission and they wanted to use a pseudonym... something like that.

The Japanese companies take credits extremely seriously, and if there's a problem with them that could very well cause them to decide to completely remove the episodes from distribution immediately until they provide a fixed version.
This would also explain why they didn't make a public statement, and also why they were able to air episode 3 on time (fixing a credit glitch is easy).

I bet episodes 1-2 will re-appear in a few days and that the only difference will be a slight change to the credits somewhere.
jyuichi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:59 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Episodes 1 + 2 suddenly taken down from all places streaming them on the internet worldwide "by request of the Production Committee" without any further explanation.

While Crunchy did phrase it that way the original 制作上の都合により (roughly "due to circumstances beyond the product/production") makes me think it's not a credits issue but some kind of external influence . With a typo wouldn't it be easier to push out an updated file?

Having only read the novel myself (and having meant to watch the show this weekend alas) I'm not familiar with what scenes made it into the first two episodes but this sounds like they either received complaints or are practicing excessive "self-restraint/自粛"
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Credits aren't softsubbed; they're hard-coded parts of the picture, so you'd have to replace the video to fix them; I'd expect them to have a date on fixing that sort of minor issue, though. On the other hand, DRosencraft mentioned a character stopped appearing in episode 3, so it's possible episode 3 was simply never affected by whatever it was to begin with. We'll find out if they ever restore the episodes and somebody compares the old to the new.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:47 pm Reply with quote
@Polycell, I was only mentioning that as a possibility. I hope I didn't confuse the issue by making it sound like a fact, because I simply don't know that to be the case. I only meant that if there were an issue centered on a character but that character didn't appear in episode 3, it would partially explain how 3 went up while 1 and 2 are down.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:33 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Well, J-Novel Club's streaming of the original novel is unaffected!

It's a lot easier to understand, too...

Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

This is the second time I have experience a novel and an anime at the same time and it is a completely different experience to Danmachi. I'm reminded of Mekakucity Actors/Kagerou Daze where I read the novel after watching the anime (twice, to try and make sense of it) and marvelled at just how much more convoluted they made things in the anime.

jyuichi wrote:

You mean saying something like "Episodes have also been removed from Daisuki and from Japanese streaming services."?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4