• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix's Live-Action Death Note Film's 1st Trailer Shows Nat Wolff as Light

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NBlaze53

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:54 pm Reply with quote
The whitewashing and Dragon Ball Evolution talk has already started. Oh boy lets get this over with. This is an ADAPTION. This is not a replacement or anything. Gigguk did a very good video on how adaptions work that will explain it better then I ever could. But Death Note is a story that works with this.

Death Note is a tale of an ordinary boy getting a notebook that kills people. In all of it's incarnations this is the only theme that stays the same and Ryuk is consistent. Death Notes' One Shot, manga, anime and countless live action adaption. Death Note is not the tale of Light and L anymore. That's what ONE incarnation of Death Note is. This is simply another incarnation. We don't need a close to the anime plot film with Japanese actors for Death Note, that exists already. What I want to see is if the tale of Death Note, being an ordinary boy finding a notebook that kills people, would work in an American setting. It's something we have yet to see in the Death Note mythos.

I will not understand on this instance why people want Japanese actors and the film to be close to the anime.
traitorAIZEN

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:04 pm Reply with quote
More action & sex and less thinking. Typical american stuff.
Kai99

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:00 am Reply with quote
traitorAIZEN wrote:
More action & sex and less thinking. Typical american stuff.

You just perfectly described the Japanese live action Attack on Titan movie...
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:42 am Reply with quote
kid_nova wrote:
Uggghhhhh... They're trying to make an already suspenseful work more suspenseful, but they're trying to do it through aesthetics and being "edgy", when then source material does it by actual plot. Hollywood and anime just don't mix well. Not to mention its completely different story-wise from the looks of it. This shows about being discreet and calculated in your actions but the trailer is the complete opposite, boisterous and generic.

Hey, you never know. Trailers are sometimes intentionally misleading to attract people who otherwise might not give it a chance if the trailers honestly depicted the movies as they feel. And it's pretty clear that, among trailer people, psychological thrillers rank pretty low.

iceblast wrote:
What a crappy trailer, of all the things they could have shown, and half of it is just a bunch of random things that tell you nothing, makes no sense, and in no way makes you want to watch it.

That's kind of the point of a teaser trailer though. Remember Up's trailer? It showed the balloons flying up, then Carl's house flying up tied to the balloons, then Carl is on the front porch on a rocking chair and says "Howdy." Then the bottom of the house leaves the frame and that was it.

Teaser trailers are just that: To maintain hype. More comprehensive trailers will appear later.

residentgrigo wrote:
Some of the color saturation choices are a bit much but the rest looks promising. They nailed the atmosphere too. I proceed with caution optimism but they can´t have Kira fall in love for real. That lustful kiss was my only eyebrow raise. Bonus point for being immediately recognizable to the source material too, as i expected more changes from the ground up.

What a cast btw. Fascinating to see who is now willing to do "tv". The budget is between 40 to 50 mil. too. Most of a season of House of Cards can be filmed with that amount.

Well, in the original manga, Light did sometimes act romantically around Misa to keep her attracted to him so she could continue to do Light's bidding.

NBlaze53 wrote:
I will not understand on this instance why people want Japanese actors and the film to be close to the anime.

The same goes for dedicated fans of anything that gets adapted into something else, especially live-action movies. Any change, no matter how small, is heresy, and even if the fans had free reign, other fans would step up and complain. It's almost personal.
Woomy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:03 am Reply with quote
Ah, I see the comments are already full of people jumping to a bunch of rash conclusions based on so little footage due to the fact that they are also the same people who have been conditioning themselves to hate it as soon as they heard "U.S. Adaption of Death Note."

Of course, there's also the people using the "whitewashing" term again way too loosely, and I can't take that seriously at all. It's hard to claim something is trying to be racist, especially when the cast is more diverse than the original ever was. Not only is Watari still Japanese, but L is being played by a black man. (L's not even Japanese in the source material people, the dude's from Wales. A black guy cast would actually even make more sense if your complaints are for authenticity)

There isn't much to go on in this trailer at all. Can't safely say I feel confident enough to start judging. However, The tone seems right at home, and we all know Willem Dafoe as Ryuk is going to be perfect. I also still have confidence in some of these leads. Nat Wolffe isn't a bad actor, and I've been falling in love with Keith Stanfield ever since he started being in more movies. The guy's got a promising career ahead of him.

Adam Wingard is also someone I'd trust more than some. I mean, sure his Blair Witch sequel wasn't much to write home about (can't say I even care for the original all that much) but he was still responsible for great stuff like "You're Next" and "The Guest". Dude knows how to make a movie.

As a pretty avid fan of the property, I would rather hope this turns out to be good. Why wouldn't any self proclaimed fan want more bad adaptions of something they love? If it does somehow suck though, then whatever. It's not gonna change anything. We'll always still have the original show and books.
Elf-Samurai

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:18 am Reply with quote
Looks extremely bad already. Light doesn't look like light, L doesn't look one bit as L. Kissing doesn't match lights personality at all. High school cheerleaders bullshit like a lot of the Hollywood setups. Overly exaggerate suspense music. Like wow what fan wants too see this?. Another fuckup
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:40 am Reply with quote
I'll be honest, like others here I'm somewhat distrubed by the Americanization of Death Note, but I'm willing to give to a try, to see if they at least respect the original material.

I can live with a white Light (hurr) since to me, Light seemed Caucasian with that blonde hair.

I can live with an African L, because L really was more of a concept than a person. Though personally would've loved if he was Asian due to L's quirks.

Now Misa / Mia is probably the most annoying situation. From what I recall, she isn't going to be an entertainer, like in the original. So it's doubtful they at least will honor her original name as a stage name or a nickname. And I fear the way Hollywood has been handling teenagers in the past couple of years, they will just turn her relation with Light as another angsty romance that makes you want to hit your head on the wall. That's what really worries me about this adaptation.

But in the end, we know what will happen. The fans of the original will not be happy, while the new fans will be applauding and completely obvious to the original.
kid_nova

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:16 am Reply with quote
Not necessarily downing this because of the "whitewashing" or the plot changes. It just looks bad and generic. I'm giving Ghost in a Shell a chance because the trailers look like they put forth effort. This just looks bad, especially the because of the bland aesthetics.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:40 am Reply with quote
kid_nova wrote:
Not necessarily downing this because of the "whitewashing" or the plot changes. It just looks bad and generic. I'm giving Ghost in a Shell a chance because the trailers look like they put forth effort. This just looks bad, especially the because of the bland aesthetics.

Really? I think the cinematography in this looks pretty awesome, to be honest. A lot of really cool angles and good color design. I think Ghost in the Shell aesthetic looks great too of course, and the PV has some cool cinematography, but what the PV is letting on about the plot seems significantly more generic than this one. I'm not judging either film until I've seen them, but the GitS movie looks like it's just trying to be another "I'm-a-super-soldier-who-needs-to-discover-my-past" which we've only seen a million times from Hollywood...
Puniyo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:22 am Reply with quote
It's funny seeing people say L should have been portrayed by an Asian actor, seeing as L is only a quarter Japanese. It'd be more accurate to cast him with a European actor. They made massive changes to L in the Japanese drama too, and honestly I think that's the best version of Death Note.

That said, from the way he moves in the trailer and the way he was hunched over in the set photos, I think he's nailed the portrayal pretty well. I was really unsure about Natt Wolfe too, but now I think he's a good fit. Light in the Anime was supposed to, on the surface, be the perfect popular pretty boy student, and this fits the American definition of that better. Not to mention Ryuk - He's perfect. Can't wait to see the final product.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:30 am Reply with quote
Adaption of concept can be done without following it whole. I think it looks pretty good so far.

This will be the fourth version of Death Note (Pilot Manga, Manga, Japanese Movies, This). The one that everyone is familiar with isn't even the original version of the concept after all. In premise, the only stable thing of Death Note are two things: the Death Note and the Ryuk. The original kid was 13 and his name wasn't Light.

...and the Japanese movies ended differently and people whined about them but now people are telling everyone got go watch them instead if they have a problem? Others complain about white-wash and yet fan-favorite L who is supposed to be British/German/Russian/Japanese is black.

Take it as a different take. It isn't bad until its actually bad. It's not here yet.
JoeOfTomorrow

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:09 am Reply with quote
The IT Crowd
Dragon Ball Evolution
Hell's Kitchen
Kitchen Nightmares
The Ring
OldBoy
Speed Racer
Astroboy

These are just the more recent works remade for American viewers and I've had enough of them. I'm also really fed up with people saying 'wait and see' because I've given way too many chances to have any hope.
immblueversion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:47 am Reply with quote
Woomy wrote:
Ah, I see the comments are already full of people jumping to a bunch of rash conclusions based on so little footage due to the fact that they are also the same people who have been conditioning themselves to hate it as soon as they heard "U.S. Adaption of Death Note."

Of course, there's also the people using the "whitewashing" term again way too loosely, and I can't take that seriously at all. It's hard to claim something is trying to be racist, especially when the cast is more diverse than the original ever was. Not only is Watari still Japanese, but L is being played by a black man. (L's not even Japanese in the source material people, the dude's from Wales. A black guy cast would actually even make more sense if your complaints are for authenticity)

There isn't much to go on in this trailer at all. Can't safely say I feel confident enough to start judging. However, The tone seems right at home, and we all know Willem Dafoe as Ryuk is going to be perfect. I also still have confidence in some of these leads. Nat Wolffe isn't a bad actor, and I've been falling in love with Keith Stanfield ever since he started being in more movies. The guy's got a promising career ahead of him.

Adam Wingard is also someone I'd trust more than some. I mean, sure his Blair Witch sequel wasn't much to write home about (can't say I even care for the original all that much) but he was still responsible for great stuff like "You're Next" and "The Guest". Dude knows how to make a movie.

As a pretty avid fan of the property, I would rather hope this turns out to be good. Why wouldn't any self proclaimed fan want more bad adaptions of something they love? If it does somehow suck though, then whatever. It's not gonna change anything. We'll always still have the original show and books.

Actually, Watari was a white Englishman in the original story. So...
KefkaesqueXIII

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:31 am Reply with quote
As a fan of the manga and the Japanese live-action movies, I think the best way to approach this is by viewing it as an American re-imagining instead of an adaptation. Less "Same story, different settting" and more "New take on the basic premise (high school boy finds magic notebook dropped by bored death god, becomes murdurous egomaniacal vigilate and plays a game of cat and mouse with the world's greatest, and most eccentric, detective)".

My biggest fear is that they may re-imagine light as some sort of tragic, misunderstood anti-hero rather than as an unredeamable villain-protagonist with a god complex.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:05 am Reply with quote
Let's face it, the only way for Death Note (and everything else in Japan) can be shown in the West is by full-blown Americanizing it.

I don't like it, other fans don't like it, but a general audience wouldn't know what a shikigami or a yandere is, so it has to be dumbed down.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5