• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: YouTube Sends Founders to Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rifanime

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:22 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
kurotsuki wrote:
hum...i see..but i think i need an exemple Confused

every *expletive* thrown together anime vid with Linkin Park and/or Evanescence in the background Evil or Very Mad

I know what you mean. For example, most Elfen Lied AMV's have Evanescence and Linkin Park music. I personally think a good AMV has to be a creative idea and
has to be fun/funny.
fxg97873

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Once a series is licensed here, I agree that complete episodes should not be presented on sites like youtube or available on torrents.

Having said that, this entire industry was built and is still being built by "promotional" videos imported from overseas.

ADV was founded primarily by nothing more than a bunch of fansubbers (David will admit this but Matt pretends to forget).

Also, have you guys seen the amount of discussion the Haruhi website has caused on anime sites across the North American continent?

Do you guys think anybody would give a rat-ass if no fansubs of Haruhi had ever made it across to the States?

Heck, I first learned about the show from ANN's Fall Preview.
Who knows, maybe ANN flies out their staff over to Japan to catch those shows on TV, but I don't think so (I'm pretty sure they preview their stuff from the same places we do).

I spend annually a minimum of $1,000 on R1s every year (I'm sure a small amount to some). I only buy things if I gotten a chance to preview it either through the promotional fansubs, youtube or Netflix.

Speaking of rentals, studios didn't like that scheme back in the 1980s either since they didn't get any royalties from them.

The same tired argument was given but the courts ruled in favor of the people (not going too hot for us right now though with the new mediums of communication)

Anyhow, I'm pre-ordering the R1 of Haruhi as soon as it's available...just like every other fansub I watch.

mk2000
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Uh... can you back this up with any actual data or is this "I don't know anyone who's bought them so they must be selling poorly!" or something?

You need to back this up with a source and some numbers.

Just as soon as you provide hard numbers for Uncut Shaman King and Yu-Gi-Oh to settle the debate on whether or not 4Kids little foray into uncut DVD's worked or Al Kahn is blowing bubbles outta his rear end.
duo05001

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Brakus wrote:
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
I'm sure even with all this, people will still post fansubs on YouTube.

In fact, they're really a necessary evil if you ask me. They help make anime accessible (Especially where it otherwise wouldn't be), they create a nice early fanbase abroad before the shows are licensed, and create free publicity for both the Japanese studios and the eventual domestic licensors.

Well, I got a shocker for you -- nowadays when shows debut on TV in Japan, chances are pretty much definite that the show has already been licensed in the United States. Moreover, although the fansubs and its accessibility may be free advertising, the bottom line is that the fansubbers are still posting stuff that does not belong to them, and it will hurt sales in the long run. Prime example: Naruto DVDs -- ESPECIALLY the uncut boxes -- haven't sold well here because of the availability of fansubs.

I don't mean to speak for any one side, because I have downloaded fansubs myself, but just because "it hasn't been licensed in the States yet" doesn't mean it's OK.

Well I am willing to bet that the DVD's and BOX seats aren't doing so hot because shows like Naruto and Bleach are still running on the air and re-runs are being aired as well. Why would you want to buy something that is being re-run? Also DVD sails go up after the show has completed and is aired less frequently case in point DBZ. Also NOTHING BEATS THE DVD's because the quality on youtube is not equivalent to that of the DVD's or whats on the TV. Look at the viewership of these shows has it gone down, up or stayed the same? I am willing to bet that it has either stayed the same or gone up. Face it youtube is in the long run going to make most if not all partys involved tons of money. What youtube is doing is making japanese anime's more popular and is going to make FUNimation and everyone involved that much more profits. I understand the concerens but I dont agree with them. What these companies need to talk about is bringing these anime shows to the states and have there own channel. Okay, so in some places they do, key being "...some places...". I understand it's not that easy, i understand that the processes is already happening, all I am saying is this should be the perfect oppertunity for you to speed the process along, while the iron is hot. I hate waiting till 1 A.M eastern time (i'm from connecticut) to watch anime's and only on adult swim. So I thank the man/women/people who brought me youtube because i was able to enjoy some shows i would have never even imagined I would have seen. In the end the only thing that will happen is "WE" the animeMANIACS will lose and I will just be one more thing about the corporate world I hate.
Zoe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:45 pm Reply with quote
fxg97873 wrote:
Once a series is licensed here, I agree that complete episodes should not be presented on sites like youtube or available on torrents.

But they don't care about the people here, they care about their domestic market.

I think some people are overlooking the fact that this issue isn't solely about anime. JASRAC's complaint covers music, dramas, variety shows, etc. There's very little to no stateside representation for those areas.
Zero_Reborn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:12 am Reply with quote
So stuff like Hard Gay and Japanese commercial spots are out of the question too for Youtube?
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:26 am Reply with quote
Zero_Reborn wrote:
So stuff like Hard Gay and Japanese commercial spots are out of the question too for Youtube?

If the original copyright holders object, then yes.

Thats kinda one reason why stuff like what JASRAC and FUNimation has failed to do as of now: Act accordingly. They take sooo much time in enforcing their copyrights a/or don't offer reasonable alternatives (Like how ADV made the first episode of Coyote Ragtime Show avaliable online free) that stuff like this happens.

If the Japanese companies gave me a reasonable free alternative to looking at J-music (other than YouTube and torrenting them offa nonofansubsite.com.org.net.cx.gov) I'd buy more CD's from them. But seeing I have to trudge thru the **** on YouTube with very bad uploads and multiples of files and the pesky AMV's, my buying habits are limited by what I can see.
rpb3000

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:28 am Reply with quote
To everyone whining about losing their ability to watch fansubs:

BitTorrent is your friend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
kurotsuki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:34 am Reply with quote
rpb3000 wrote:

BitTorrent is your friend.
yes it is !
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:04 am Reply with quote
BitTorrent just never works on my computer though, so I have to live off of direct download sites. >.<

Anyway, I agree to the fact that fansub episodes should be removed from YouTube. A lot of people are saying they actually "promote" the series more, but I'll bet that in the long run, the industry will actually LOSE more money than they gain.

While I watch fansubs, I'll also buy the R1 DVD's when they're available.

As for why BitTorrent isn't getting serious about fansubs, it's because BitTorrent isn't an official corporation/company. YouTube is. An official corporation providing illegal content is more likely to get in trouble than some random guy who created a program that does the same thing.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:08 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

Just as soon as you provide hard numbers for Uncut Shaman King and Yu-Gi-Oh to settle the debate on whether or not 4Kids little foray into uncut DVD's worked or Al Kahn is blowing bubbles outta his rear end.

Yeah you're right let's just go ahead and believe any random "fact" about sales numbers from any random person on the internet, whether or not they're a professional journalist with credible sources doesn't matter at all!

There's only a "debate" about the success of uncut Yugioh and Shaman King DVDs because some people I guess don't understand that when something doesn't sell they stop making it, and they stopped making uncut DVDs for those shows.

I mean, I realize that believing some stupid conspiracy theory is MUCH easier than just prescribing to the obvious and extremely simple truth, but there you have it.

Last edited by Zac on Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:19 am; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:11 am Reply with quote
So Youtube stops hosting anime clips from fansubs to AMVs. Then they start regulating what music videos you can watch or what movie trailers they'll allow.

Easy - some geek will just make a NEW site just like Youtube, people will flock there, post their AMVs and fansub clips, that'll be bought, same thing happens, rise, repeat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Jariten
Company Representative

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:47 am Reply with quote
Looking over the original letter, I would argue that JASRAC, as always, is more worried about Japanese people getting free access to content. While searching Japanese news sites for material, I have stumbled onto countless Japanese sites created by 2-channelers and others that provide links to Japanese content on YouTube. This is probably why the first request they have in their letter is that the "don't upload stuff" warning on YouTube is posted in Japanese, not English.

JASRAC continues to police their empire as usual, but it will be interesting to see how this one turns out. I'm thinking that AMVs won't be affected as much as content like Japanese music videos and anime (fansubbed or otherwise) since AMVs cater to Western fans almost exclusively.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:01 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

Yeah you're right let's just go ahead and believe any random "fact" about sales numbers from any random person on the internet, whether or not they're a professional journalist with credible sources doesn't matter at all!

There's only a "debate" about the success of uncut Yugioh and Shaman King DVDs because some people I guess don't understand that when something doesn't sell they stop making it, and they stopped making uncut DVDs for those shows.

I mean, I realize that believing some stupid conspiracy theory is MUCH easier than just prescribing to the obvious and extremely simple truth, but there you have it.

Funny, I remember having an arguement with either you or someone else a long time back, and all I got was "We can't reveal said numbers due to some TOS thingy or something, but believe us, they sold." Or something to that effect.

Back up your "credentials" with the numbers.
Drakashi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:03 am Reply with quote
The problem that I see here is that what are going to do the people, like me, that in their country you dont see a damn DVD of an anime?!

>o< honestly, I dont care if I have do download the anime, but I need a page to watch anime 'cause here where I live you dont see a DVD of anime -.-"

At least that you go to bluckbuster and rent the first DVD of a serie that will never come >o< That's what happened with DN Angel, buy the first DVD, the first anime that I see in my life... Then there was MONTHS waiting for the second one, until I find youtube ... and you know? The DNA second DVD has not come yet -.-"

So thanks rpb3000 for BitTorrent

By The Way I'm not disagree with what are going to do in youtube, But I think there have to be a solution for people like me Rolling Eyes and if you know one, Tell me!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8