• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Grimoire of Zero

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9 got off to a rip-roaring start and maintained a good sense of urgency throughout its entirety. The perverted shopkeeper really needs to die, but at least they shut him up so we didn't have to listen to his gross obsession with smelling Zero's clothes.

Holdem has been a pretty great ally so far. He's both amusing and helpful when the time calls for it, so I hope to see what kind of group chats the party has once Zero rejoins the party. I imagine they could get as silly as Tales skits. XD

And hey, we got some more shirtless Mercenary tiger manservice too. :D
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Great, another full episode of no Zero/Mercenary interaction. Gee, that's certainly what I signed on for when I first started watching the show. Rolling Eyes
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:42 pm Reply with quote
What if "Him" is actuall Thirteen and he already has the bood?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:21 pm Reply with quote
That is a distinct possibility. In fact, it's pretty much the only thing that makes sense. It would be pretty lame to pull out a completely new character (even though he has been referred to a number of times) at this juncture.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:08 pm Reply with quote
"Send the assassins. I want them alive." Either that's a poor translation or Thirteen doesn't know what an assassin is.

I did appreciate the Hail Mary pass of Albus over the barricade. Smile But she still hasn't grasped the concept of being quiet when people are hunting you.

This must be one very tiny county, like Lichtenstein or something, for them to get to two points of the pentagram on foot in less than a night, wolf or no.

I had been thinking that Thirteen was Him since he first came on board, but then I ran across something that seemed to make that impossible, so I put that out of my head. Now I can't remember what it was that dissuaded me. :/ I think it was something from the story of when they were attacked and the grimoire was stolen. Like Zero knows who Him is or something.
Melicans

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:19 am Reply with quote
I started this series about halfway through the season so I binged the first six episodes. I thought it flowed rather well so I think the reviewer is right in his suspicion that the series works better when watched that way.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Great, another full episode of no Zero/Mercenary interaction. Gee, that's certainly what I signed on for when I first started watching the show. Rolling Eyes

Yeah, this was largely my reaction as well. This world isn't well-written enough for me to care about entire episodes of schlocky 'jokes' or dialogue info-dumping world info & events on the viewer.

This episode was at least more coherent than the past few, though, even if it still featured one abrupt tonal shift (now that the audience knows Sorena's grandson is actually a granddaughter, she behaves and sounds obviously feminine!).
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:32 pm Reply with quote
What personally bothered me in Episode 10 was Merc calling himself stupid and a moron because he seems himself as the dumb muscle lug who doesn't get magic or understand its principal concepts. He's clearly more intelligent than that, so it was a really unnecessary thing to put in his dialog.

As for the episode overall, spoiler[Thirteen being Him was a disappointing reveal as it was too obvious with his whole manipulative schemer personality thing going on]. All that remains is an epic magic battle and the final episode.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:59 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
What personally bothered me in Episode 10 was Merc calling himself stupid and a moron because he seems himself as the dumb muscle lug who doesn't get magic or understand its principal concepts. He's clearly more intelligent than that, so it was a really unnecessary thing to put in his dialog.

I'm not sure I understand your complaint. His saying that doesn't mean the writers think he's stupid, or that the viewers should think so. But it makes sense that he believes he is, since that's what he's been told all of his life: beastfallen are stupid animals, good only for their brute strength.

I suppose his view of himself could be conveyed without dialog, but in something this short, it would be a great deal harder to get it across without his thoughts or words directly expressing it, and I'm pretty sure the writers of this aren't really up to the task, so I have to disagree that it's unnecessary.
zztop

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:18 pm Reply with quote
The anime's story arc is fully resolved by the end of Vol 1 of the LNs, and I think that's all they'll adapt. There are 6 more novels, and I think they also follow the same structure as Vol 1 (Vols 2-3 are one continuous arc, called The Saint of Arcadios).
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm not sure I understand your complaint. His saying that doesn't mean the writers think he's stupid, or that the viewers should think so. But it makes sense that he believes he is, since that's what he's been told all of his life: beastfallen are stupid animals, good only for their brute strength.

I doubt a mercenary like him survives as long as he has by thinking of himself as just a dumb animal though.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:33 pm Reply with quote
You don't have to think of yourself as intelligent to display intelligence. If you've been convinced you're stupid compared to others, you'd just assume that your intelligence is the normal level for stupid people, no matter how smart you actually are.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:51 pm Reply with quote
The most recent episode was pretty good in my estimation. A return to what makes the show work. Too late to entirely make up for the many problems mentioned previously, but still executed well. Glad to see the show return to form for its finale.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:59 pm Reply with quote
... annnnd I'm back to feeling pessimistic, or mostly so.

This episode wrapped up a lot of loose ends - some in good ways, some in hilariously bad ways. Many narrative holes lunged forward pretty glaringly.

I'm left with my initial impression largely unchanged: this has been a great show in premise/macro-planning, a poor show in narrative pacing/motivation, and an OK show in in-the-moment execution.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:08 am Reply with quote
Yeah, Grimoire of Zero joins SukaSuka, KADO - The Right Answer and Love Tyrant as shows from this season that started strong for me and then ultimately fizzled.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6