• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Do I Introduce Anime To My Kids?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spawn29

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:

Hmm, not sure about K-ON! and
Yuki Yuna is a Hero. :/

From what I've seen from K-ON!, it's a tame show. My recommendations for kids to watch anime.

Shonen:

Astro Boy (2003 TV series is good for modern fans)
Deltora Quest
Dragon Ball Z (This show was a gateway for most kids in the 90's)
IGPX: Immortal Grand Prix
Teknoman
Tetsujin 28 (2004 TV series)
Samurai Pizza Cats

Shojo:

Denno Coil
Cardcaptor Sakura
Magic Knight Rayearth (I remember it was a tame show)
Sailor Moon
Princess Knight
Shugo Chara
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
The simple answer is to look for the tag "Kodomo" and try to find what is legal available and english dubbed. But is unfortunate that most kodomo anime is unavailable outside Japan.

Just make sure it isn't immediately followed by "no Jikan." Razz

I'm not a parent myself, but I do have a very young niece, and I've already caught myself thinking about what sorts of movies or shows would be fun for her in a few years if she's ever willing to sit down with her nerdy uncle for a few hours. The first would have to be Totoro, for obvious reasons, but there are lots of other good suggestions in here too; Princess Tutu or Dennou Coil would be fantastic when she's a bit older. One show I'm curious about is A Little Snow Fairy Sugar: it looks like pure distilled diabeetus that'd be great for a little kid.
Misopup

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Sugar, a Little Snow Fairy!
Used to watch it, all the time, with my grandkids when they were little.
Cute characters, engaging story, lots of good music.
The oldest grandkid is in Jr. High now, and still smiles fondly when I mention the series.
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I would recommend the same things I watched as a kid, though that would be around 8 years old. The classic Digimon is always a good thing but there is also Detective Conan and Ranma 1/2 which I also loved as a kid. One Piece, Dragonball and co are good for boys and Futari wa Precure and Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne for girls. The only real kids shows I know and like are Shin-Chan and Folktales from Japan, though the later dosn't have a dub so it would be hard to watch as a kid. There are of course a lot of other good anime for kids like Yu-Gi-Oh or a lot of shounen or sports anime.
WingKing

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
From what I've seen from K-ON!, it's a tame show. My recommendations for kids to watch anime.

It's tame, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's great for kids. Non Non Biyori is totally tame too, but as much as I enjoy NNB myself, I probably wouldn't show it to a kid unless I was trying to get them to settle down before bedtime or something. K-On could be okay for a kid who likes the music or enjoys some of the slapstick comedy, but it's a show that's built around character interactions more than story, and some kids would find that kind of thing boring. I wouldn't say "never" with it, but I think it's much more of a "know your child" kind of show than some of the more naturally kid-friendly titles that others have mentioned.
Estelle the White Mage

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I only watch Ecchi, Harem, and Hentai shows so this one would be a tough cookie to crack for my future kids.

Though I'll probably start them with the ones I began my otaku journey with:

Angel Beats
Gurren Laggan
Ben-to
Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu
Mune

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:09 pm Reply with quote
One show I've noticed that has not been mentioned is Panyo Panyo Di Gi Charat for 4-10 year olds, though all of the spin-offs and sequels may not be age appropriate, as they range from G to PG-13. Plus, the episodes for this specific series are only about 4 minutes long, as opposed to some of spin-offs and sequels going up to 23 minutes. It's about a princess and her friend trying to make the people of her kingdom happy without exposing themselves as being royalty.

There are many different choices for anime for children. I think that exposing them to many options will allow them to explore what they will eventually like. Plus, it is best not to force your anime viewing preferences to your children, nor making them watch anime in general. It is your hobby/fandom. We took the choice to watch anime and it is their choice to do so too. I repeat this, it is their choice to watch anime or not. But, that doesn't mean you can't encourage them to watch or just be watching in the same room.

All of the other recommendations seem fairly spot on.
peno

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:40 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I would actually recommend a few of the slice of life things out there depending on if having a dub is a necessity. I'm a little surprised that Kemono Friends wasn't recommended yet. It doesn't have a dub, and probably never will, but I honestly don't know if that's going to matter much if I'm showing my 2 year old kid anime. Also, I've always intended to make them bilingual from the get-go, so it could really double as a teaching tool! Laughing
I'm a little less particular when it comes to things being age appropriate, probably due to my own unusual upbringing, but I fully intend to show my kid Hunter x Hunter when he turns 5 or so. The show delves into some incredibly dark stuff later on, but it's a brilliant show and full of themes that I want my child to experience. Also not super averse to fanservice, but the lack of it in HxH is certainly a boon to those who might care.
Kemono Friends(no dub)
Pretty Cure/Glitter Force
Sailor Moon
Hunter x Hunter
Ghibli
Digimon
Fullmetal Alchemist(probably around 7+ age for my kids)
Hanasaku Iroha(no dub)
K-ON!
Yuki Yuna is a Hero(7+)
Sound Euphonium(10+)(no dub)
Kyousougiga(7+)(no dub)
Little Witch Academia(this should've been mentioned by more people!!)

A lot of other things. I really would just want to inundate them(not force obviously) with things that carry themes that I find important like working hard, and caring for others, and being open-minded.

Maybe I am a little uptight, but most of what you wrote, I wouldn't recommend for pre-teens and some of them not even for early teens (Hunter x Hunter especially). Actually, only Digimon, Pretty Cure and some (but not all) Ghibli movies I would show to a kid in around 8+ age (though some Ghibli movies, like Totoro or Arriety, are appropriate for even younger kids).
Unfortunately, there's not much anime for younger kids outside of Ghibli I would recommend that is legally available in US, and even less that are dubbed. Sherlock Hound and Ronja are probably the best bet, if you don't mind UK accents.

Spawn29 wrote:
My recommendations for kids to watch anime.

Shonen:

Astro Boy (2003 TV series is good for modern fans)
Deltora Quest
Dragon Ball Z (This show was a gateway for most kids in the 90's)
IGPX: Immortal Grand Prix
Teknoman
Tetsujin 28 (2004 TV series)
Samurai Pizza Cats

Shojo:

Denno Coil
Cardcaptor Sakura
Magic Knight Rayearth (I remember it was a tame show)
Sailor Moon
Princess Knight
Shugo Chara

Not bad for a kid around 10, but I am not sure about younger kids. And with Dragon Ball, I would probably start with the original Dragon Ball, which tends to be more tame than Z (unless you mind Goku's "pee-pee" being shown on-screen in a few scenes, and some fanservice).
BTW, my almost 11 years old nephew is already hooked on Deltora books, so, it's probably good time to introduce him to the anime adaptation.

Edit: I see no one mentioned Monster Hunter Stories Ride and Puzzle and Dragons Cross, both of which are already dubbed and pretty good choice especially for boys who like fantasy settings shows. Only problem is, the latter is now stuck on episode 38, due to some licensing issues, but hopefully, those will be solved and the show will continue.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:14 pm Reply with quote
As much as I love Sailor Moon, unless you're showing them the DiC dub, I don't know I would recommend it to little kids. The show has some pretty dark themes at times especially in S and Stars and it can get a little violent at times. The ending to the first season was so traumatizing for kids in Japan that they had to go the hospital from throwing up. That's not even getting into the implied sex scenes in Sailor Moon Crystal and Usagi's spoiler[suicide scene]. As for my recommendations, I think Angelic Layer is a great anime to show to kids. It's got something for everyone with a female protag, plenty of action, but also a lot of strong character development and romance and it's pretty safe for kids. If your kids don't mind the cheesy voice acting of the Animax Asia dub or are old enough to read subtitles, Cardcaptor Sakura is also great. I think A Little Snow Fairy Sugar is also really cute and has lovely animation and adorable characters.

Digimon is still the best of the monster training anime. It has more substance than Pokemon to me and isn't afraid to deal with some deeper themes in a kid friendly setting. You might be careful that some of the later seasons like Tamers and Tri might be too dark and intense for very little kids, but the first two seasons should be perfectly fine and they're streaming on Crunchyroll too. If they like shows like Digimon and Yugioh, I'd also recommend Future Card Buddy Fight which is oddly addicting in spite of it's cheesiness. It also has a pretty high quality English dub streaming on Crunchyroll.

The 2003 Astro Boy was really good and the animation still looks gorgeous even a decade later. I think it's animation looks a lot better than a lot of modern anime to be honest. You can get the DVD boxset pretty cheap now too. Glitter Force is also really good and if you don't mind using unofficial sources, I'd also track down the Canadian dub of the original Pretty Cure. If they're old enough to read subtitles, they can watch the original on Crunchyroll too. If your kids enjoy Studio Ghibli, they should also check out Panda Go Panda which is one of Takahata and Miyazaki's pre-Ghibli works. I'd also second showing kids some anime inspired American animation like Voltron, Avatar, and Korra, and the original Teen Titans. For movies, all I can think of besides Miyazaki stuff is I'd recommend Summer Wars. Aside from some very mild language, I think it's pretty safe for older kids as Hosoda basically retooled an earlier Digimon film he worked on with his own original characters. It's got some pretty cool action and amazing animation and music and a good message about family and the environment and technology dependence.
Heishi

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
Heishi wrote:

Well, maybe except for a few questionable scenes like scenes involving a hat with the word "cock" in it.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
Heishi wrote:

From what I've seen from K-ON!, it's a tame show.

It's very tame. Like WingKing mentioned, whether or not it'll be interesting to some kids at all is a different story, but I've grown much much more lenient and carefree I guess when it comes to things like that after sharing a large variety of things with my nieces, nephews and other family members. Simply put, I've found that when I try to curate the content they consume too much, I end up losing their interest. I spent years trying to show them all the safest of the safe and over time lost a few of them entirely. If I am a little more daring, and give them a larger variety, they tend to find something that they dig. My Dad loves Bunny Drop, my sister(and most of my family) is really into AoT, my Mom pretty much dislikes anime entirely, but genuinely enjoyed GitS, my 7 year old niece is actually a big fan of K-ON!, mostly because the girls are often doing the same kinds of things that she wants to do with her friends!(she's pretty popular so that's not as depressing as it might sound).
Edit:This is more a general response the thread, and maybe more so peno, rather than just Spawn29.

Quote:
Denno Coil

That's another solid recommendation. It's a good, thoughtful, family-friendly show.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Vibrant Wolf wrote:
I would recommend Sailor Moon (not the full series, if it hasn't been redubbed), and Sgt. Frog (never seen it but it seems cute).

Sailor Moon has been redubbed, and quite nicely, by Viz, if that's what you mean.

As for Frog, only if they're old enough to read subtitles, in which case it's ideal. Smile
Do not, I underline, bold, and repeat this with emphasis, DO NOT show them the Frog dub instead, as you value the show and your kids' future appreciation of anime.
If you're curious to peek into the Pandora's box, you will soon find out why.

The same is true to a lesser extent with Samurai Pizza Cats--
The subbed version on Crunchyroll was made for kids, but the dubbed version we got in the 90's, also on CR...well, those were simpler times.

Last edited by EricJ2 on Tue May 09, 2017 2:11 am; edited 2 times in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:31 am Reply with quote
So I removed a few posts that were rather trollish/bait, as well as subsequent responses to them. Please do not just list any horrible shows to be funny or bring up OT discussions best left elsewhere.

As for the topic and question at hand while my gf and I do not have kids of our own we have slowly but surely gotten her niece and nephew some anime over the past few years. We actually started by simply asking her brother and sis-in law if the kids read or not. What sort of stories do they like. What sort of games do they play. Basically find out what they are interested in. We started when her niece was around 8 and nephew around 4. We bought them some graphic novels first. Trade paper back and collected editions. Stuff her brother/sis-in law could read to them. See if they became interested. When they did we would every so often buy them an anime movie for a holiday or birthday. Something age appropriate. We've gotten them quite a few Miyazaki movies and others such as Wolf's Children, and Boy & the Beast. Now that they're older (12 & 8) we've gotten them more mature, for their age, graphic novels they can read on their own.

We always tried to make sure we weren't "forcing" things on them and tried to get things age appropriate and in the genres they like. I think it helps when the child is old enough to start watching tv or reading on their own so you can try and insert anime or manga into what they already like. Sort of sneak it in per se and get them interested without them realizing. I would definitely not force my kid, or family member, to simply like anime/manga simply because I do. Hopefully they would be interested but if not oh well.
one.night.bkk

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:59 am Reply with quote
I'd probably let my hypothetical kids watch what they wanted to. I'm not one of those people who really worries about what kids see, although that's probably not surprising for someone who was playing Wolfenstein at 7 and Doom at 8 (anime wasn't really much of a thing in the early 90s where I was, and I realize this might not be an exact parallel). Don't be a helicopter parent, let kids discover stuff, and if it seems like they aren't reacting well, intervene if needed.
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:00 am Reply with quote
Yeah, most of today's anime, released on this side of the pond, is aimed at teens so finding a lot of modern kid's stuff in English is going to be a slog; It's probably best to stick to the classics. Stuff like Pokemon, Yu-gi-Oh, and Yo-kai Watch is already out there so kids are going to find it, anyway.

Discotek is releasing The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, dubbed in English, this August- That is 100% a great place to start. They're also putting out Nutcracker Fantasy, which is for slightly older kids (Think Rankin Bass stop-motion{literally the same animators} by way of the Last Unicorn) but will be good to have on hand for later. Pick up Shout Factory's 2015 Blu-ray of The Last Unicorn while you're at it.

As I'm brainstorming here, I'm not really going to aim for age or sex:

Hello Kitty/Keroppi/Pekkle (late 80s), Kimba the White Lion, Speed Racer, Gatchaman, Voltron, Astro Boy (not the western movie), Princess Knight, Panda Go Panda, Hamtaro, Princess Tutu, Petite Princess Yucie, Creamy Mami, The Little Mermaid.

Sailor Moon (90's) is a great kid's show; It's aimed at 8-11 year old girls and is completely meant for kids. Viz' s dub, however, is aimed at older fans; It's not really inappropriate but the "damn" count does get on my nerves. Crystal is based off of the young teen manga and is definitely aimed at nostalgic grown women.

If you are willing to look for stuff not currently licensed, at least not in English, or not easy to find on home video, then there's:

Fushigi no Boshi Futago no Hime, Swan Lake, Aladdin, Maya the Bee, Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics, Hana no ko LunLun, Lalabel , Minky Momo.

Tomorrow, I'll probably think of a ton that I missed but this is a great start.

The most important thing to remember is that you are doing this because you love your children: You want them to have the opportunity to see many different things. Don't treat anime as a thing; Treat it like any other creative expression you would expose them to. And don't just limit your search to anime: There are plenty of cartoons out there from other countries; If you ever get the chance to add them to the family library, do it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8