• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Daisuki Ends Anime Streaming Service in October

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
#alfrescoCR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:22 pm Reply with quote
that's obviously thanks to bandai namco holdings a while ago, Daisuke went on to full retard. Men, thats just too cruel. My remaining anime source now would be Funi-crunchy and some old torrents sites(back to bad old days i guess).
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:43 am Reply with quote
thunderkingnue29 wrote:
Waiting for the news "Amazon Ends Anime Streaming Service"

Our prayers will have be answered then.
mierin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:05 am Reply with quote
Daisuki is one of the available legal streaming for anime that we people from outside US have... I haven't used Daisuki lately as I don't watch much nowadays, but it was great to know that the service is there for us, even though stuff I want to watch aren't included usually due to region restrictions.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:59 am Reply with quote
flammie wrote:
HiDive is simulcasting the Sentai shows Strike passed on, Action Heroine Cheer Fruits and Battle Girl High School. Including Frame Arms Girl from the previous season, its obvious that Strike doesn't want to include "cute girls doing cute things" shows in its lineup.

Thanks for the correction. Tho I suspect HiDive will be the next streaming service to be acquired by someone, probably more for its catalogue than its user base.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:09 am Reply with quote
ArnisEnthusiast wrote:
If we're talking the US, I only count four with a major focus on anime (Crunchyroll, Funimation, HIDIVE, and Anime Strike). Netflix wouldn't count because it doesn't have a major focus on anime.
While Netflix doesn't pick up much in the way of new anime they do get the licenses for some major shows. The new Fate would likely have been the biggest acton show of the seasen if it had been simulcast.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:33 am Reply with quote
flammie wrote:
HiDive is simulcasting the Sentai shows Strike passed on, Action Heroine Cheer Fruits and Battle Girl High School. Including Frame Arms Girl from the previous season, its obvious that Strike doesn't want to include "cute girls doing cute things" shows in its lineup.

Actually the first Sentai simulcast on Amazon was Urara Meirocho, which is definitely CGDCT. I think it is more that those were on the bottom rung of Sentai's pickups, which usually went to the late Anime Network and the late Daisuki and now HIDIVE, though Cheer Fruits is better than expected and Frame Arms Girl was enjoyable.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:02 pm Reply with quote
azabaro wrote:
thunderkingnue29 wrote:
Waiting for the news "Amazon Ends Anime Streaming Service"

Daisuki launched in May 2013, so it took something like 4 years before its management decided to cut it off. That suggests we may have to wait until 2020 or so for your headline...perhaps even longer, given Amazon's deep pockets.

Deep pockets and determination to stay. Amazon's style is that they'll blow as much money as needed until the thing turns around and turns a profit, which they've had a very good track record of doing.

I have to say though--why are people wishing for Amazon to stop, rather than, say, eliminate the subscription-within-a-subscription system they have?

Lord Geo wrote:
I always felt that Daisuki had all the potential to at least be a great catalog content streaming site, i.e. offer the older titles that you can't find anywhere else legally online, especially for those that were never released outside of Japan before. Unfortunately, aside from the few Sunrise mech anime that came & went (Gundam ZZ, Vifam, Iron Leaguer, etc.), it seems like none of the involved companies bothered to actually do much with it. Personally, I think it was likely because they highly underestimated the market.

My impression of Daisuki is that this was something that the companies involved weren't taking seriously. They considered streaming to be something off to the side that some people would like rather than be the primary way westerners get their anime, and they also expected the cost to be offset by sales of the merchandise. (That is, the service is free because they thought you and I would then go buy the $160 figures.)

In other words, I strongly suspect the Daisuki people assumed western anime fans would behave like the Japanese anime fans. That didn't work out, and the more things didn't go according to plan, the less they were able to cope with what was happening. By 2015, every move they made became defensive, aimed primarily at prolonging their existence than growing the company.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
While Netflix doesn't pick up much in the way of new anime they do get the licenses for some major shows.

It is interesting you posted that on the morning of a day that could have been termed "Netflix anime announcement day" by looking at the ANN main page.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:22 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I have to say though--why are people wishing for Amazon to stop, rather than, say, eliminate the subscription-within-a-subscription system they have?

Because they have already hear the complains last season (spring) and what was their response? Buy even more series (like Welcome to the Ballroom) in the summer season to force people to subscribe to strike. Amazon is so big that they might as well "poison the trough" instead of changing their plans.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:15 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Deep pockets and determination to stay. Amazon's style is that they'll blow as much money as needed until the thing turns around and turns a profit, which they've had a very good track record of doing.

As a fan of dubs the best case scenario is that Anime Strike fails and Amazon leaves the anime market. At the moment Anime Strike has a 100% failure rate when it comes to their simulcast shows getting dubbed. I don't know if it is because of Amazon's contract terms or if it is because of reduced visibility. As for the double paywall I don't see any indication that Amazon is rethinking that. Every time they have been asked about dubs or the double paywall they simply dodge the question.

TheAncientOne wrote:
It is interesting you posted that on the morning of a day that could have been termed "Netflix anime announcement day" by looking at the ANN main page.
Netflix is doubling down on anime and it makes sense that they are mainly going with original productions.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
As a fan of dubs the best case scenario is that Anime Strike fails and Amazon leaves the anime market. At the moment Anime Strike has a 100% failure rate when it comes to their simulcast shows getting dubbed. I don't know if it is because of Amazon's contract terms or if it is because of reduced visibility. As for the double paywall I don't see any indication that Amazon is rethinking that. Every time they have been asked about dubs or the double paywall they simply dodge the question.

They've only had two seasons of simulcasts. It's way too early to say that they won't ever dub anything. Amazon has had dubs produced for anime on Prime, and it's pretty much guaranteed that at least a few of their Sentai simulcasts will get dubbed. There is no was that Made in Abyss and Sword Oratoria will be left sub only.

Only one company dubs shows this early, and they don't air their simulcasts on Strike. Funimation is in a much different position than Amazon, Sentai, Aniplex, etc. One company out of many doing something doesn't exactly make it an industry standard. Nor does it guarantee that a new entrant will do the same, especially when that company (Amazon) doesn't have its own studio.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:06 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
They've only had two seasons of simulcasts. It's way too early to say that they won't ever dub anything. Amazon has had dubs produced for anime on Prime,

AFAIK those dubs were made by other companies (sentai), amazon has no experience outsourcing the dubbing process (in anime at least) and if people keep buying their strike subscription, they also have no incentive to try..

Quote:
and it's pretty much guaranteed that at least a few of their Sentai simulcasts will get dubbed.

But now that Sentai has Hidive, they have a huge incentive to not share new dubs with Amazon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4