• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Oops! All Quick Answers!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Equally low. The differences between the Japanese and International versions of Pokémon are not drastic but are significant, and The Pokémon Company International spends quite a bit of money on localization to make sure that the version we get here is as digestible as possible to as many people as possible. All of the unique things that only Japanese people would get (or pervy things that only Japan would think is OK to put in a kids' show) get ironed out, names get standardized, and no problems are had.

Can't tell if being facetious, or is completely ignorant.

A lot of sexually suggestive stuff in anime is nothing is places like Western Europe, but sure it could cause a moral panic in the United States, as somebody mentioned, especially in more conservative households. Conversely, you also have silly crap like liberals thinking Jynx was a blackface caricature, when it's actually a parody "ganguro," a fashion subculture popular from the mid 1990s well into the 2000s. Yes, I know ganguro can be translated from a derivative of "blackface," except its context and origins are completely different, derived from traditional Japanese folklore, as opposed to Western stereotypes of certain minorities. I can't help but also recall the ridiculous claim from BuzzFeed that skin whitening products in Asia were by the big bad West's image of beauty.
Lord Starfish

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:
Lord Starfish wrote:
Shiflan wrote:
Though this brings to mind a question: Why not import the Japanese releases if one wants the original uncut edition? I don't have a lot of personal interest in pokemon, but I have done that for countless other shows that I couldn't find a satisfactory copy of domestically. And Pokemon is pretty easy to understand, especially for an established fan who knows the show. I can't imagine lack of subtitles being a big hurdle for a hardcore Pokemon fan.

This is only an option for the movies. The TV-series of Pokémon, believe it or not, doesn't have a home video release in Japan. I mean, they have rental DVDs, but no purchasable DVD- or Blu-ray-releases of the series exists.

That shows you how much I know about Japanese Pokemon releases! But seriously, there is no DVD or Blu-Ray release?!? That seems odd to me. When you say "they have rental DVDs" are these just the usual high-priced Japanese releases? Or are they somehow something different and legally restricted? The reason I ask is that traditionally Japanese releases of Anime have always been expensive, and I've seen it written in multiple places, including by Justin, that they were "priced for the rental market". That said, I can't help but wonder if you're talking about the categorically high price of R2 DVDs.

I mean the only DVDs that exist of the show are rental-only. The rental video market is still alive and well in Japan and rental stores are the only places offering DVDs of the Pokémon TV-series. You can't actually buy it.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Lord Starfish wrote:

I mean the only DVDs that exist of the show are rental-only. The rental video market is still alive and well in Japan and rental stores are the only places offering DVDs of the Pokémon TV-series. You can't actually buy it.

Well the rental shops must be buying them from somewhere.

Fans have been buying "rental priced" tapes, LDs, and DVDs for decades.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I do not mind Pokemon, based on the reasons given. But I do wish we could get a release of Sonic X. I mean most of the people who would want it now, are the ones who want the uncensored version. You can get Yu=Gi-Oh uncut on CR.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:40 pm Reply with quote
[quote="BadNewsBlues"]
CastMember1991 wrote:

Dr. Wily wrote:

Pokemon is a juggernaut that will never die with a constant influx of new fans and/or customers.

It might never die it will at some point hit a brick wall that'll lead to it's popularity going into decline and it's profitability potentially waning, it's happened to comic books it's happen to things like Star Wars it's naive to think it'll never happen to Pokemon especially with Nintendo releasing games nearly every year or two.

See I disagree for the exact reason you mentioned. Nintendo keeps releasing games, which means it's constantly there for kids to start with. Compared to your other examples, Star Wars had a 10 year gap between the original movies and the prequels and then another almost decade long gap between those movies and the new batch. And sure there's supplemental material to keep diehards satisfied, but with no movies, of course interest waned. American comics also faced an interesting problem where, in an attempt to keep up with older readers, they began essentially alienating newer readers (there's also the speculator bubble and a whole other ton of issues that led to that market collapse but hey that's a whole can of worms that one forum post can't cover).

But Pokemon is basically a very simple formula: games, anime, merchandise. And since the first two rarely change the formula (the games pop out another batch of pokes, and Ash Ketchum the eternal 10 year old just keeps on traveling to new lands). Until the Pokemon Company does something completely stupid like... I don't know, stop making main Pokemon games and shift to an FPS or make a Pokemon hentai or something else colossally stupid, there's no reason to see it dying. Pokemon is just like Mario, they're simple games that are so ingrained in the public eye that them hitting a brick wall is nigh-inconceivable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4