• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Daily Streaming Reviews Schedule: Spring 2018

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:57 pm Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
[I mean, strictly speaking, it's Magical Girl Site, if you're talking about stuff that polled well enough to maybe cover (if we're being charitable, which we try to be), but lack of resources/interest on the reviewer side won out. Either way, both MGS and HTR were the fringe exclusions of their season in the poll.

Curses, foiled by reviewers having actual agency.

Where's the corruption in Anime Journalism when you need it?
Time Bandit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Yay, almost everything I wanted is getting reviewed! That makes me a happy happy girl. Very Happy

I am also on the sad bus about Beatless though. I am really enjoying the show (especially these past few episodes!), and Theron really did a great job with those reviews.

Also bummed about Amanchu and Rokuhoudou Yotsuiro Biyori...I love me some nice calming shows. And I was kinda hoping for Fist of the Blue Sky...not pretty in the slightest, but I'm looking forwards to the story and violence.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Agreed that I'm glad MGS didn't make it, even if a part of me kind of wished it would get trashed just to spite the nazis on twitter. But yeah, no one was gonna enjoy watching that, no point wasting time and energy on it, I actually didn't vote for it. OTOH, I did vote for Devil's Line because it seemed a good fit for trashy show of the season, I'm a lil disappointed it didn't make it through. I'm very curious as to what will be the Chaos Dragon of the season, there doesn't seem to be any obvious candidate. Maybe Caligula?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Not like i'm surprised that most of the anime aimed at female viewers didn't make it, as usual...

Also a bit sad that neither Anne or Nick won't be reviewing anything this season, but best of luck to Rose and Steve! Smile

I don't even need to post, when you say it all for me. Smile

I'm kinda sad about Beatless being dropped too. I nearly dropped it myself, but reading the reviews first made me want to see the episodes, even if I didn't have much to add to the discussion. Without that nudge, I might not make it to the end. :/ While that sounds like damning with faint praise, what I'm trying to say is that the reviews were really useful to me and I'll miss them.

I'm surprised to hear that Ramens nearly got voted in last season, given the total cold shoulder it was given afterwards here.

I will say again that I hope this season This Week in Anime will be used to cover series that don't already have a dedicated weekly review. It just seems like a waste to have two more people reviewing something that's already got weekly coverage, along with inevitable mentions on the podcast (plus the occasional feature article), while ignoring "fringe" series altogether.

Anyway, looks like a pretty good season to me. My dance card is certainly filled!
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:40 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Agreed that I'm glad MGS didn't make it, even if a part of me kind of wished it would get trashed just to spite the nazis on twitter. But yeah, no one was gonna enjoy watching that, no point wasting time and energy on it, I actually didn't vote for it. OTOH, I did vote for Devil's Line because it seemed a good fit for trashy show of the season, I'm a lil disappointed it didn't make it through. I'm very curious as to what will be the Chaos Dragon of the season, there doesn't seem to be any obvious candidate. Maybe Caligula?

Comparing Caligula to Chaos Dragon is ew imo.

Out of all the shows picked for streaming reviews, there doesn't seem to be any clear choice for "that one trashy show everyone enjoys dunking on".

I guess if Golden Kamui has an awful CGI bear every week, that's probably our best bet.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I will say again that I hope this season This Week in Anime will be used to cover series that don't already have a dedicated weekly review. It just seems like a waste to have two more people reviewing something that's already got weekly coverage, along with inevitable mentions on the podcast (plus the occasional feature article), while ignoring "fringe" series altogether.

Albeit for the past month or so, it’s been “What’s new on Netflix?” more often than not.

I do agree that I’d like to see that column acting more as a complement to the other coverage here than just another view of shows already covered weekly.
Terrible90sDub

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:47 pm Reply with quote
I also voted for Devil's Line as the hate watch choice. Parts of the first episode of that one at least fall into hilarious territory, and while it's usually less amusing, the second episode gives us "I came via telephone pole" ... *proceeds to leave by hopping on telephone poles like a vampire-bunny* Both Magical Girl Site and Doreiku were ridiculous and poorly made yet were only unpleasant to watch. You'd think a show involving mind-altering slavery dental retainers would own its own absurdity (or own its fetishy parts as, well, fetishy), but instead it went for trying to come off as serious and pretentious. Magical Girl Site was even worse with how edgy it was trying to come across.

Every season I look for another Vatican Miracle Examiner fun-horrible caliber anime, but alas...

So yeah, I'm glad both of those titles didn't make it in, and I'm particularly happy that Ore won out over Site. Smile I'm also surprised that everything I voted for - other than my hate watch choice - made it in this time, as that never happens.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Terrible90sDub wrote:
Doreiku.. You'd think a show involving mind-altering slavery dental retainers would own its own absurdity (or own its fetishy parts as, well, fetishy), but instead it went for trying to come off as serious and pretentious.

I dunno, I actually kinda like that approach. At least, I like how it appears through my watching lens.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:35 pm Reply with quote
DatRandomDude wrote:
Surprised that Gegege no Kitaro and Lupin III managed to get a place.
Expected to see Magical Girl Site and Devil's Line instead.

(Not that its a bad thing tho but i guess for once there will be no hate watching this season.)

it should get a proper review! sure its not the prettiest and the most uber violent and ultra abusive series yet when it comes to the dark magical girl genre, but there have been worse. also if the series is 100% faithful to the manga, it does get better later on in the volumes!

so while the series definitely leaves something to be desired, its not gutter trash just yet!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Really excited about most of these shows.
Florete

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'll be the different one when I say I'm disappointed Magical Girl Site didn't make it in. Yeah, in a way I'd feel bad for the reviewer, but I think the reviews would be entertaining, and I think watching it alongside the reviews would be fun.

I am a little surprised Uma Musume didn't make it. I am not surprised Amanchu Advance didn't make it, being a sequel of a less-popular show.

And that was three of my votes. Go figure.

Another of my votes, and one that I actually didn't expect to be picked up, is Comic Girls. I guess it left more of an impact on viewers than it seemed.

I will also be following Steins;Gate 0, Gun Gale Online, Golden Kamuy, and Cutie Honey Universe, the latter two of which I'm not actually watching but waiting to see if they'll be any good.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:29 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Albeit for the past month or so, it’s been “What’s new on Netflix?” more often than not.

Well that's ok (heck it could be a whole separate column!) since by the time series jailbreak out of Netflix purgatory most times people have forgotten they exist and could use some incentive to go look for them. But yeah, using that space as a resource for otherwise overlooked anime seems better than just more views on already saturation-covered series.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Not a bad lineup, but I am deeply disappointed Horse Girls didn't make it. I guess I'll just have to look forward to possible This Week In Anime/full season reviews for it down the line.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:39 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
So which show is going to be the Big Order and Taboo Tattoo of the season?
Alas, picking stinkeroos tends to be easier after a few shows but this season there seems to be nothing in that league. Even then, sometimes a lame/poor show becomes entertaining enough to be enjoyable (Death March, Isekai Smartphone). Truly legendary stinkeroos such as you listed are rare, although for a while we were getting one every season or two.

An outside possibility is Magical Girl Ore if it falls on it's face but so far looks like it wouldn't. To answer an earlier post questioning if people are picking shows just to rip on, I think that's a misunderstanding. As one of the connoisseurs of stinkers, the goal isn't to rip on poor shows for the heck of it but to get entertainment from a reviewer pointing out and sometimes making fun of all the many ways some shows fail. A show to be worthy of this can't just have bad visuals or plot holes but must fail across many areas that sometimes compound with each other. Vatican Miracle Examiner Ep1-4 is a recent example but the rest of the show became just poor and so was not really worthy.

It seems many of us have the same set of shows that we are unsure of as all my picks are represented (had no interest in MGS). Mr. Green
Time Bandit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Not like i'm surprised that most of the anime aimed at female viewers didn't make it, as usual...

...yeah...I'm noticing this as a trend as well...

Last season we didn't get reviews for Saniro Boys, Touken Ranbu 2, and IDOLiSH7. And this season we didn't get Libra of Nil or Rokuhoudou Yotsuiro Biyori. Kinda sad 'bout all of these cause I voted for all of them. I love me some bishounen. <3

I still stand by IDOLiSH7. This show is really really good, and it's sad that it gets so little recognition here. It's not just pretty boys, but amazing music and a damn good story (that I was not expecting in the slightest!) as well. Honestly, I am crossing my fingers that the app will get an English release, cause hells yes will I play that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5