• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:51 am Reply with quote
Apparently the implication in the book is that LLENN's avatars were randomized because she was using demos rather than buying 35 full games just for chargen? That makes SLIGHTLY more sense than every aspect being randomized.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 12:36 am Reply with quote
Ep 5,

Given how scared M was of Pito I wonder if there are any darker implications because of that, or if it's just like a little brother being scared that he'll be bullied by his big sister or something. Given how he was saying no one know how scary she was IRL it might possibly lead to higher stakes in the series rather than just playing the game. That would definitely be interesting although given how lighthearted it has been so far I don't think that's the case.

And I guessed the group of small girls was the amazon team, since ep 1 showed that they got to know each other. I'm guessing they did purchase their avatars as I doubt they all got their ideal big bodies just by chance.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:33 pm Reply with quote
“How dare you shoot P-chan?”
Laughing Laughing

I don’t know why, but I found that reaction to be relatable as well. Great Episode this week and the scene after the credits warmed my heart quite a bit. Looking forward to seeing what goes down next week and it’s currently one of my favorite shows to watch this season.
Nate148

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:47 pm Reply with quote
book one done I think the ending was done so that if sales were bad it could have just been a one and done any way so far so good hope that they handle that stuff well though
teferi

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 2:54 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
GrayArchon wrote:
meiam wrote:
Just like SAO this feel like something that was written by someone who know of video game but who never played them. Any FPS competitive game would have standardise avatar shape, otherwise everybody would be playing as the most advantageous size (probably some weird combination of small frame/head mixed with large arm/hand for better handling of the gun). Same for costume color, everybody would have the same camo.

Here's the fallacy about the avatar size thing. GGO is not an FPS competition game. It's an MMORPG with a futuristic post-apocalyptic setting, which makes the main weapons be guns instead of swords. It's balance concerns are closer to World of Warcraft's than to a competitive FPS game. BoB and Squad Jam are tournament's held within the game, not the main game themselves. Characters aren't going to be equal, in build or capabilities, as the whole point is for people to pit themselves, and the character they've built against other people who have been building their character, and honing their skills.

So size is just one of many factors contributing to how good a character is, and there is no one single advantageous size or shape, nor one single camo that's best.

The problem is size is strictly positive, ie small frame offer no disadvantages and only advantages (if you disagree feel free to tell Meongantuk his explanation is wrong, which seem to be derived straight from the book). So if a game would go live this way everyone would have loli body, and you would have a lot of very pissed players who would find out much later that there avatar is worthless and that they can't compete in PvP purely for a random number that was generated for them before they even knew how the game worked.

Also if you think WoW doesn't care about PvP balance just because it's not a mainly PvP game you really haven't paid much attention to it. They once wiped out some racial bonus because everyone was making fresh character to take advantages of racial bonus in PvP (everyone alliance side was human in PvP iirc).

Honestly I just stopped caring because just accepting GGO as is requires suspension of disbelief. The idea that the most popular shooter in the world would use MMORPG style PvP is just ridiculous. The only real barrier to entry in the most popular shooters now is the cost of the game and experience/skill. It's fun to watch but when M pulled out his shield and started rambling about how expensive it was I rolled my eyes.
partially

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 3:49 am Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
Laughing Laughing

I don’t know why, but I found that reaction to be relatable as well. Great Episode this week and the scene after the credits warmed my heart quite a bit. Looking forward to seeing what goes down next week and it’s currently one of my favorite shows to watch this season.

I personally found it a little too much of a stretch. As is often the case with stories involving online gaming, they can never seem to resist having all the characters living nearby each other. Despite the stupidity of such a thing. It is almost certain that M and Pito will likely turn up in real life nearby at some point.

teferi wrote:
Honestly I just stopped caring because just accepting GGO as is requires suspension of disbelief. The idea that the most popular shooter in the world would use MMORPG style PvP is just ridiculous. The only real barrier to entry in the most popular shooters now is the cost of the game and experience/skill. It's fun to watch but when M pulled out his shield and started rambling about how expensive it was I rolled my eyes.

Erm, how is it a suspension of disbelief? Particularly when the most popular shooters in the world already do use light MMORPG style PvP. (Looking at you PUBG and Fortnite) GGO is just adding persistence aspects. And yes players are happy to pull out their piece of bought gear and ramble how much they paid for it, you have obviously not looked at the Steam marketplace for PUBG. (A number of rarer items there sell for US$100+) As for Fortnite there is more control there, but there is plenty of bits of kit to pay money for.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 1:02 pm Reply with quote
partially wrote:
I personally found it a little too much of a stretch. As is often the case with stories involving online gaming, they can never seem to resist having all the characters living nearby each other. Despite the stupidity of such a thing. It is almost certain that M and Pito will likely turn up in real life nearby at some point.

It can be considered a little silly for some people, but I found it to be executed here just fine. It can be viewed as unlikely to happen in real life, but I find it to be not impossible to ever happen. If it does, I personally don’t consider that to be a stupid concept. Eh, different strokes for different folks, I guess.
teferi

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 6:15 pm Reply with quote
partially wrote:
Joshua Zarate wrote:
Laughing Laughing

teferi wrote:

Erm, how is it a suspension of disbelief? Particularly when the most popular shooters in the world already do use light MMORPG style PvP. (Looking at you PUBG and Fortnite) GGO is just adding persistence aspects. And yes players are happy to pull out their piece of bought gear and ramble how much they paid for it, you have obviously not looked at the Steam marketplace for PUBG. (A number of rarer items there sell for US$100+) As for Fortnite there is more control there, but there is plenty of bits of kit to pay money for.
The difference is that in PUBG/Fortnite said items are cosmetics; they don't offer a competitive advantage. Games where you have to constantly grind or pay to stay best in slot are not popular PvP games. And no, Fortnite/PUBG do not have MMORPG style PvP. While the game mode might add some different skill sets to learn it still heavily focuses on the skills that every shooter does (i.e. aiming, tracking, reaction time). MMORPGs are focused more on managing cooldowns, positioning, meta knowledge, class knowledge etc.

Also persistent items (like gear in an MMORPG ) are basically the thing that keeps MMORPG PVP unpopular. Having to grind out gear/skills specifically for PvP that change every update keeps all but the most hardcore players from participating. Like I said, the most popular PvP games go out of their way to avoid this. PUBG's developers have specifically said they won't add anything to their cash shop that affects gameplay even. It's a bit puzzling that the author overlooked something that's such a major issue in online gaming.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Ep 6,

So now we finally got some real life stakes on the line in this series, although it doesn't feel quite as serious to me considering both people whose lives are at risk are doing it willingly for the most part. M is just as messed up as Pito in my eyes considering he's basically willing to go along with whatever she wants, and won't even seek professional help for her. He won't even try and sabotage her to save her life because "it wouldn't be fair".

I'm curious who Llenn will be teaming up with now that M says he and some others will be joining Pito. She can't team up with the high school girls since they already have the max number of players for a team and I don't recall her really knowing any other players.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:58 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
I'm curious who Llenn will be teaming up with now that M says he and some others will be joining Pito. She can't team up with the high school girls since they already have the max number of players for a team and I don't recall her really knowing any other players.

Maybe you didn't keep watching after the closer because in the epilogue it was shown that LLENN will be teaming up with that friend of hers that introduced LLENN to VR who I'm guessing is the girl dual-wielding grenade launchers in the opening.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I thought the crazy Pitou stuff in episode 7 was kinda jumping the shark. I guess it wouldn't be SAO franchise without some crazy maniac popping up at some point. I thought it worked better in the normal SAO stuff though. This was probably supposed to come off as like tragic or dramatic reveal but I thought it was so over the top it went it *lulz crazy anime being crazy anime* territory.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I quite enjoyed Episode 6, but one thing I remember some people not being happy about with this spin-off at the beginning of the season was that the stakes at hand were not all that high. Now that the stakes have considerably increased, quite competently I might add, some people are still not pleased. I guess SAO will always remain a franchise where it can never please everybody. Oh well. I don’t see any jumping the shark here so far, but this is all just my two cents. Take it however you may.
Alternative Ice

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
This was probably supposed to come off as like tragic or dramatic reveal

It wasn't.
Sulfy

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:25 pm Reply with quote
So things finished coming full circle with the gymnastics club finishing their snack at LLENN's place from episode 1. I thought the episode was fine set-up for the next arc, M and Pito sure have...interesting...compulsions, though I laughed when M was saying how much he loves Pito. Least the two know each other IRL, but it doesn't sound like it's reciprocated at all (though that's my just conjecture).
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:35 pm Reply with quote
I can just hear Mother's Basement ranting how Ep6 is XX minutes of F*cking dialog in a coffee shop but I think it's necessary here because it doesn't spend the time trying to tell us what is happening some other ways and eat up a couple of episodes but rather moves us along to the actual SJ2 setup. I think it's a ":sure thing" that Karen's friend is the grenade/bazooka girl in the OP/ED and check Wikipedia for spoiler about Pito, assuming it's true. Also, I hope this isn't true but has a "girl's first wall slamming (Cabe Don Pin)" replaced "a girl's first kiss" in Japan? Confused

Last edited by Hiroki not Takuya on Mon May 21, 2018 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 12