• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Haikyu!! To The Top

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:43 am Reply with quote
For me Episode 21 was a huge step up, because all that character stuff is what I'm here for. Plus there was some good action, with Tsukki's revenge and Atsumu's set.

I especially liked getting some of Nishinoya's background (I guess he's had his off-color fringe all his life), but it also served as a great moment for Kinoshita too. Also plus too, we got added Kenma and Kuroo goodness. I guess I really enjoy seeing the players appreciating other teams' players' skills.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:17 pm Reply with quote
23 was a great episode, full of the stuff I'm here for. Still not enough Daichi though.

I think my only minor complaint was Kita's long soliloquy during what should have been about 4 or more points worth of play. Smile Not that what he had to say wasn't interesting, but it felt a little out of place there, and I kept wanting to know what was happening on the court.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Haikyu!! has consistently slowed down the passage of time so that we can feel the impact of each thought and movement that goes into the game

Which is what I've always loved about this series, and what's been missing for a good chunk of this season's episodes. So great to have them return to it all in!

Man, Atsumu sure does love his maestro bit, doesn't he. Laughing

The opening shot this week reminded me that other games are going on at the same time. How crappy would that be, if you wanted to watch more than one team? Also, who is the guy in glasses and gray track suit watching from his office? He's done a lot of commentary this season, but I don't remember who he is, other than guessing he's a coach I should know.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:30 pm Reply with quote
That was the fastest 23 minutes of my life.

I, too, have read the manga and am relatively caught up with the current volumes but man, this anime adaptation is so good that I forget that I already know what will happen. I'm on the edge of my seat during every episode that involves a match. Really have to give props to all the staff of this series. They're doing and have been doing an excellent job.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:30 pm Reply with quote
While awaiting the season finale, I ran across this video (via CR, but you need to watch on YT, since CR's embed has cut off the right side of the video to discourage you from watching on YT) of top ranked Korean volleyball player Kim Yeon-koung watching some scenes from Haikyuu!! and being impressed. She's fun. In later videos, she's joined by two other players who are equally impressed. I got a kick out of how they got so fixated on Tsukki's injured finger and his "meaningful goggles."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUhkJdcb_6I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUTAjYiEj_o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyRhTubEmOg
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Also, who is the guy in glasses and gray track suit watching from his office?

So I got my answer this week, but I'm still confused. He's Takaaki Anabara, Johzenji's coach. Apparently he went to school with Akira Saitou, Shiratorizawa's assistant coach. So why did he call Tanji Washijou, (head coach) after the game instead of calling Saitou?
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Also, who is the guy in glasses and gray track suit watching from his office?

So I got my answer this week, but I'm still confused. He's Takaaki Anabara, Johzenji's coach. Apparently he went to school with Akira Saitou, Shiratorizawa's assistant coach. So why did he call Tanji Washijou, (head coach) after the game instead of calling Saitou?

He's one of the assisstant coaches who was at the training camp Hinata crashed. He was calling Washijou because he knew the coach was interested in seeing how Hinata faired as a player after the camp.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Thanks. It's been so long since those episodes, I'd forgotten all about either him or Washijou even being there.

On a different note, what was up with the glass doors opening on a low hedge on the ground floor outside the women's bath? Doesn't seem like it would be very relaxing, given that even 12 foot high high walls don't seem to deter anime peepers.

Anyway, loved it all, especially the watching the news scenes. I just hope they don't keep us hanging years for the next match. Fly, my volleybois!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4