• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Are Any of Those Netflix Anime Actually Good?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:10 pm Reply with quote
\How to tell so-an-so anime is "Netflix Original"... I just check production committee names on OP Credit... No Netflix producer name, then Netflix can't claim it as their originals.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:42 am Reply with quote
Dino Girl Gauko is an entertaining Netflix ‘original’
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Netflix said so themselves..

animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-12-31/ultraman-tops-netflix-most-watched-anime-in-japan-in-2019/.154902

No Dragon Prince in any category, no She-Ra (although Mattel was so embarrassed by the latter they’re making two He-Man shows with radically different tones to that), etc.

I get that you hate women, and She-ra was both made by and for them, but c'mon man. It was so successful that they're making 2 more He-Man shows. How your brain warps that into embarrassment might be something you want to examine.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:24 pm Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:

I get that you hate women, and She-ra was both made by and for them, but c'mon man. It was so successful that they're making 2 more He-Man shows. How your brain warps that into embarrassment might be something you want to examine.

Immediately with the “you hate women” accusations towards people? Come on man.

Alright, here’s the short version. Dreamworks has the rights to She-Ra but not He-Man. Mattel owns the parent rights (the toys) and founded their own studio after the show came out, and essentially not wanting people to use their licenses without their express input (Noelle Stevenson, the head produce on She-Ra, has said she threw out every note Mattel sent her), so they went and founded their own television production company, Mattel Television. The two He-Man productions (Three if you don’t count the may never be released film for Netflix) are done without Dreamworks being involved in any way, shape, or form. It’s also why the merchandise for She-Ra has been so small scale, with a Target exclusive line of toys and little else.

They’re making new He-Man product divorced from Dreamworks and SPOP to create distance. And back to the topic of the thread, they’re calling the one Masters of the Universe show anime, but when I think anime, I don’t think Kevin Smith.

And for what it’s worth, SPOP has some interesting ideas, but it’s not exactly lighting the viewing world on fire. So I wouldn’t call it bad. Unpopular does not equal bad.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
ATastySub wrote:

Alright, here’s the short version. Dreamworks has the rights to She-Ra but not He-Man. Mattel owns the parent rights (the toys) and founded their own studio after the show came out, and essentially not wanting people to use their licenses without their express input (Noelle Stevenson, the head produce on She-Ra, has said she threw out every note Mattel sent her), so they went and founded their own television production company, Mattel Television. The two He-Man productions (Three if you don’t count the may never be released film for Netflix) are done without Dreamworks being involved in any way, shape, or form. It’s also why the merchandise for She-Ra has been so small scale, with a Target exclusive line of toys and little else.

They’re making new He-Man product divorced from Dreamworks and SPOP to create distance. And back to the topic of the thread, they’re calling the one Masters of the Universe show anime, but when I think anime, I don’t think Kevin Smith.

And for what it’s worth, SPOP has some interesting ideas, but it’s not exactly lighting the viewing world on fire. So I wouldn’t call it bad. Unpopular does not equal bad.

Ok, let’s break that down when you aren’t basing it on your “woman did a bad” thing, and yeah sorry buddy until you ever stop with it that’s kinda the immediate take away from most of your posts, the history is right there.

Unpopular shows don’t get 4 seasons. Unsure execs licensed out an IP because they didn’t think they would make money if they produced it in-house. Turns out it was really popular and made them money! Now that they think they can translate that into more money they’ve founded their own so that they don’t have to share any profits, and are so gung-ho about it that they have multiple projects in the works. No one operates on the stance of “well this was an unpopular failure lets burn a lot more money.” They thought She-Ra was a weaker IP than He-Man, and with it doing well think that what they believe is a stronger IP will do even better. Personally I’m not sure of that since they’ve tried it before with less success, and one of the reasons She-Ra did well was their lack of control over it allowed the creators a lot of lee-way (hence your derisive comment on the creators, but good job trying to spin that to a negative too) to mold the old IP into something for a new audience. So yeah, please stop starting from how women doing things is bad and learn that hey, sometimes they make decent cartoons and that leads to more stuff.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Netflix said so themselves..

animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-12-31/ultraman-tops-netflix-most-watched-anime-in-japan-in-2019/.154902

No Dragon Prince in any category, no She-Ra (although Mattel was so embarrassed by the latter they’re making two He-Man shows with radically different tones to that), etc.

I don't think that article you linked says what you think it says. For one, that's specifically viewer statistic in Japan, which of course would gravitate towards Japanese productions. You wouldn't point to a list of Top 10 Netflix animated shows in the US and insist that nobody watches or cares about anime in the US.

Second, recall the methodology Netflix uses for these lists:
Quote:
The rankings were decided based on the number of Netflix subscribers that watched over two minutes of the title in the 28 day period after it was launched on the service. Only titles that began streaming on Netflix Japan in 2019 were eligible.

That shows that more people watched at least 2 minutes of Ultraman than the other titles available on JP netflix. Which makes sense because it's built on a popular, ongoing, iconic Japanese children's IP. We have no data on whether the people who watched 2 minutes watched the whole thing, nor any other show. Your weird insistence than any cartoon you don't personally like must have been an embarrassing abject failure is really starting to grasp at straws man.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Actually Dreamworks always orders their episodes in advance. That’s the only reason Voltron got 78 episodes when its merchandise ranked. She-Ra got a 52 episode order from the get-go. It was going to be filled come hell or high water. And Mattel did not willingly license it, the rights were available via the Dreamworks acquisition of Classic Media, which included a lot of the old Filmation assets. That’s why they were able to do this without Mattel really being on board (and Noelle publicly stating she threw their notes out wasn’t a knock on her, just a reason Mattel was angry).

Why are we arguing again? I’m not saying the show sucks, I’m saying it isn’t popular. Big difference.

As for Netflix, they released top kids programs lists for the US. Boss Baby ranked fairly high.
Jen Bigby

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:52 pm Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:

Hey there! Woman here, She-Ra is pretty bad show that has almost nothing to do with the original series I watched as a little girl and whose staff have open contempt for the original show as well as the original staff and voice actors, especially after some of them voiced their own displeasure of the modern version and creator. And that's not even touching on the atrocious production values and art style the show uses.

And please don't try to attribute the upcoming Masters of the Universe to She-Ra's alleged success (the toys took forever to come out and went immediately to the clearance aisle, just FYI. When the show was at it's peak popularity they decided to release 80s style She-Ra toys rather than toys of the modern show version, which is a bit telling IMO). If it was because of She-Ra they would try to emulate She-Ra, and not gone for a complete 180 with an adult oriented show being directed by Kevin Smith.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:20 am Reply with quote
I think the new She-Ra is pretty great. Never saw the original She-Ra, and didn't think much of He-Man when it came out years ago. Though I did watch He-Man and liked the Power of Grey Skull speech.

Whether the upcoming He-Man is an anime or cartoon, is not really relevant. It had better be good and hook it's audience That is what really matters. I think the new She-Ra did that personally.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:14 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Big companies and their stans have realized how easy it is to use minorities as shields to deflect criticism towards their products. That's why any time a movie or show underperforms or is received poorly, it's because of woman-hating men, or racists, or homophobes, not because it could possibly be bad or anything. So long as you convince yourself the people who disagree with you are bad people, then you can keep the illusion up that you're opinion is objectively true.

Jen Bigby wrote:
She-Ra is pretty bad show that has almost nothing to do with the original series I watched as a little girl and whose staff have open contempt for the original show as well as the original staff and voice actor

To be fair, I think it's more or less a requirement to hate a franchise to be in charge of a modern remake of it here in the west Laughing To explain how you're 'fixing' an old property and how fans of said old property are awful people. Makes me glad anime doesn't have to go through that kind of stuff.

TarsTarkas wrote:
I think the new She-Ra is pretty great. Never saw the original She-Ra, and didn't think much of He-Man when it came out years ago. Though I did watch He-Man and liked the Power of Grey Skull speech.

I think it's like the Castlevania thing. They gave a video game about badass holy crusaders to a guy who famously hates both video games and religion. People unfamiliar with the franchise might find entertainment in it, but it's certainly a slap in the face to fans of the existing franchise who were hoping for a proper adaption. I guess it does happen to anime now that I think about it, so long as you include stuff like Death Note and other live-action remakes of anime. I'm sure the Cowboy Bebop live action series will go through it too.
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:56 am Reply with quote
K.o.R wrote:
I binged AICO in two days. Fantastic show. Very Happy

Yeah. AICO is really cool! It's a shame that it kind of got lost to time.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:45 am Reply with quote
Great
Devilman Crybaby
Carole & Tuesday
BEASTARS

Good
Little Witch Academia
Violet Evergarden
Dragon Pilot
The Seven Deadly Sins

Decent
Kuromukuro
A.I.C.O.
Knights of Sidonia
B: the Beginning
Children of the Whales
Kakegurui
Forest of Piano
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Jen Bigby wrote:
the toys took forever to come out and went immediately to the clearance aisle, just FYI. When the show was at it's peak popularity they decided to release 80s style She-Ra toys rather than toys of the modern show version, which is a bit telling IMO.

I didn't follow the whole She-Ra dust-up (I just remember a lot of dude-bros complaining about her lack of boobage) but if what you just wrote is true, I agree it's telling. It's probably just not telling the story you want it to.

Isn't it possible that Mattel's dragging its feet on getting the toys out and then issuing toys that didn't reflect the show the current crop of kids were actually watching might've had something to do with the toys' failure?

Mattel has always been hostile to marketing figures of girls that aren't Barbie or Disney Princesses. After losing the rights to the latter to Hasbro (whose track record with female action figures is just as if not more pathetic than Mattel's), they did launch the DC Super Hero Girls in 2016, which was very successful for them. But I think it still didn't change the regressive thinking of their board when it comes to marketing such toys to girls (or heaven forbid girls and boys - an attitude that's caused them to leave a lot of money on the table), and that showed with their reluctance to take up She-Ra.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Jen Bigby wrote:
the toys took forever to come out and went immediately to the clearance aisle, just FYI. When the show was at it's peak popularity they decided to release 80s style She-Ra toys rather than toys of the modern show version, which is a bit telling IMO.

I didn't follow the whole She-Ra dust-up (I just remember a lot of dude-bros complaining about her lack of boobage) but if what you just wrote is true, I agree it's telling. It's probably just not telling the story you want it to.

Isn't it possible that Mattel's dragging its feet on getting the toys out and then issuing toys that didn't reflect the show the current crop of kids were actually watching might've had something to do with the toys' failure?

Mattel has always been hostile to marketing figures of girls that aren't Barbie or Disney Princesses. After losing the rights to the latter to Hasbro (whose track record with female action figures is just as if not more pathetic than Mattel's), they did launch the DC Super Hero Girls in 2016, which was very successful for them. But I think it still didn't change the regressive thinking of their board when it comes to marketing such toys to girls (or heaven forbid girls and boys - an attitude that's caused them to leave a lot of money on the table), and that showed with their reluctance to take up She-Ra.

It’s nowhere near the same issues this time which falls under wanting to control the IP, but as long as we’re on Netflix, can I recommend The Toys that Made Us and their episode on He-Man and She-Ra? They interviewed the executives from Mattel at the time and it is fascinating to see the nuts and bolts of it (namely She-Ra came to exist because of the female demo watching MOTU and the Barbie people wanting some of that cash).
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Jen Bigby wrote:

It’s nowhere near the same issues this time which falls under wanting to control the IP, but as long as we’re on Netflix, can I recommend The Toys that Made Us and their episode on He-Man and She-Ra? They interviewed the executives from Mattel at the time and it is fascinating to see the nuts and bolts of it (namely She-Ra came to exist because of the female demo watching MOTU and the Barbie people wanting some of that cash).

There's a pretty magical part of that doc where they point out the decline of He-Man toys being that they stopped stocking the main characters, and toy shelves just became wastelands of shitty one-off gimmick characters. Meanwhile She-Ra was doing alright because it was putting out toys of its MCs. They then ask each of the executives what killed He-Man and they all blame She-Ra, because in their minds it wasn't that they were selling junk characters no one wanted, but that girls had infected the brand. It's a truly baffling, yet unsurprising, moment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5