• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Birdie Wing -Golf Girls' Story-

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 8:21 am Reply with quote
Man, the production meeting for this show must have left some folks scratching their heads until they had a bald spot, but good for them for giving it a shot and letting it roll. Not in the slightest was I expecting this to be a decent watch from week to week, and yet here I am anxiously awaiting the next episode time and again. It's to the point where I'm almost hesitant to speculate on what will happen next for fear of spoiling the spectacle for myself. And I generally hate sports anime. They've done a really good job on this series, and I really hope it can keep this up and finish the back end strong (could've made a bad pun here, but I resisted).
Thesarum

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Rose's Drama-Machiavellism is great. She's got all this plan-within-a-plan thing going on, but she seems to just be going for maxium drama rather than any quantifiable personal gain.

Is this current showdown part of that plan? Has it all gone off the rails due to an oversight that puts Klein's bar at ground zero for a mafia war? Was there never really much of a plan and it was all posturing as she desperately tried to keep her head above water in a sea of bigger sharks (to horrifically mangle a metaphor)? Who knows? Eve certainly doesn't really care one way or the other.
yuricon

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 12:00 pm Reply with quote
I love me a good trope fest as well as anyone, and I have my money on Eve is Aoi's mother's child, who was - here's where I double down - on a cruise ship and fell off the side, swept away and lost her memories.

Why? Because I sat through the Takarazuka show of the manga "Hakushaku no Reijou" in which the protagonist was an orphan who had fallen off a cruise ship, lost her memories, then gets them back by falling off a blimp - and this series has that written all over it.

I'm enjoying these reviews as much as the anime. Keep up the great work Steve!
Dayraven

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
an orphan who had fallen off a cruise ship, lost her memories, then gets them back by falling off a blimp

I hope she then fell off a train and got a completely different set of memories.
TheKillerAngel

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 1:34 pm Reply with quote
CYBORGS
Regalli

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 5:33 pm Reply with quote
You know, I was finding this episode… not PREDICTABLE, but ‘rival who’s a former pupil of Eve’s teacher,’ ‘Eve learned a new technique from her matches with Aoi like the title suggests,’ you know, that’s some prime shounen rivalry tropes made hilarious because this is an anime where they’re being used for a golf match to the death to resettle a mafia dispute. spoiler[Extra points for it being Rose’s machinations to keep Eve distracted/motivated with Aoi that allowed Eve to acquire a new Rainbow Bullet.] And then the show, sensing complacency, gives us a glorious post-credits stinger that reminds us we’re still watching Birdie Wing: Golf Girls’ Story. spoiler[What, you thought those cracks were Rose aggravating an old injury? Losing her nerve as thoughts of their shared mentor get under her skin? Of course not. Those cracks were signifying ROSE PUSHING HER CYBERNETIC ARM TO ITS LIMIT BEFORE IT DRAMATICALLY FALLS OFF, BROKEN.] I apologize for ever doubting you, Birdie Wing. Clearly, you are beyond our mortal ken.

Though I am concerned how this show expects to stick the landing given how far into the season we are and how many things have been set up between the plot itself and all those characters in the OP we haven’t seen yet.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Well that sure was Birdie Wing!

The purple bullet is super sweet - not exactly a twist, since you could see it coming as soon as everyone thought Eve was trapped, but a great payoff and table-turning moment none the less. (I did half think she might indeed "pierce right through" and end up detonating the whole underground golf playground.)

I was pretty convinced Rose was aggravating a old or retirement-related back injury. But that's far too boring for Birdie Wing.

Regalli wrote:
Though I am concerned how this show expects to stick the landing given how far into the season we are and how many things have been set up between the plot itself and all those characters in the OP we haven’t seen yet.

That is indeed a concern for a show this wild and with this many different ideas. On the other hand, I kinda don't care? Little about it has ever made any real sense if you try to think about it, so I don't think a confused mess of an ending would necessarily ruin the ride we took to get there.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 11:17 am Reply with quote
For a minute, a real and actual minute, I was mad at myself for not seeing that post credits scene coming. As if I was somehow in any way supposed to expect that was what would be coming. I mean, you could technically through a ton of machinations gotten yourself there, as the writers clearly did. But as a viewer in a general sense, it's both so far OB, yet fits in absolutely perfectly with the ridiculousness of this series.

It's a heck of a lot better than the ridiculous absurdity I thought they were going to go for with the purple bullet. I was, half-jokingly, assuming she was going to reveal that she was actually saving up some super strong "full rainbow" shot that she could only use once a day, or some such nonsense, and just lob it straight over, if not through, the rocks.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Leo's voice actor is Shūichi Ikeda, a.k.a. Char Aznable. So that's both him and Toru Furuya (a.k.a. Amuro Ray in Gundam and Reiya Amuro in Birdie Wing) voicing two of the paltry few male characters of import in this show.

Toru Furuya also plays Tōru Amuro/Rei Furuya in Detective Conan, while Shūichi Ikeda joins him in that franchise voicing Shūichi Akai. Somehow all this makes me anticipate a future Conan movie with Amuro and Akai in it, about golfing, as they've done with soccer. They did do a golf episode, but it was just a basic murder case on the links. But Conan and Birdie both share a basic fearlessness when it comes to going beyond over-the-top and shooting right off into outer space. Very Happy
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I never would have guessed the glass breaking was literal glass breaking that would result in her hand flying off Laughing
Oby

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8 is straight up savage.

Char: "I came here to laugh at you."
Rose: "I have......no chance to call you again."
Assassin: *cocks gun*

Me: "Well, here comes No Country for Old Men ending for Rose Sad "
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 12:41 pm Reply with quote
At this point I don't even care that much if the series goes downhill from here, it's already worth watching just for this arc alone. The Rose scenes were perfect, I felt like I was watching Cowboy Bebop (anime, not live action).

Either the hitman sent after Eve, or her criminal past being revealed to Aoi's mother (or both) will probably cause some drama, but girl academy shenanigans can be fun as well, especially with Eve's attitude of disregarding as unimportant everything except golf and Aoi.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 4:57 pm Reply with quote
a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:
At this point I don't even care that much if the series goes downhill from here, it's already worth watching just for this arc alone. The Rose scenes were perfect, I felt like I was watching Cowboy Bebop (anime, not live action).

Either the hitman sent after Eve, or her criminal past being revealed to Aoi's mother (or both) will probably cause some drama, but girl academy shenanigans can be fun as well, especially with Eve's attitude of disregarding as unimportant everything except golf and Aoi.

Somewhere in the milieu of episode 7 I think it was, Aoi's mom did find out that Eve got into that round w/ Aoi via mafia ties, and there was a bit of a cliffhanger on what if anything she thought to do about it, based on the idea that the two would never see each other again.

I imagine, a la SpyxFamily's own similar situation a few eps ago, we'll have some situation where Eve is trying to get into Aoi's or another prominent school and Aoi's mom is gonna find out and run heavy (highly secretive) interference. Probably with Eve and Aoi aloofly as can be traipsing by all the pitfalls - sorry, bunkers - littering their path. I wouldn't put it past this show to veer heavy off into the ruff of a Bonnie and Clyde sort of back end. Or even something as potentially corny as Aoi's mom coming to fancy Eve as much as Aoi does, and then backing her in a final showdown against the golf mafia. All of this of course after it's found out that Aoi's parents had another kid they gave up to the seedy underworld so that they could focus all their attention on raising 1 supreme golf prodigy because they didn't think Eve was it.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I guess Vipere retired her snake character and fangs along with her actual retirement lol. I think her boy toy was the informant from episode 6, so I guess she wasn't just playing him back then lol
zalminar

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 7:26 pm Reply with quote
At this point, I can't tell if the show going all girls-golf-academy-hijinks from here on would be a disappointment, or the gutsiest most Birdie Wing move ever.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10