• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Expo 2022 Reinstates Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination or Negative Test

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ming Yi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Pokenatic wrote:
This is just speculation on my part, but I wonder if the backtracking might have something to do with Japanese guests. Unlike over here, Japan still seems to be more apprehensive about COVID-19 still so I wouldn't be surprised if they started getting antsy. (especially the guests that are seiyuus and singers as COVID-19 could jeopardize their careers)

AX hardly listens to public feedback and I agree the move definitely did have to do with guests threatening to drop out.
tasukete

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:14 pm Reply with quote
jimmyzinny wrote:
like a dead virus lol.

Cite legit sources or retract, thanks.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Pokenatic wrote:
This is just speculation on my part, but I wonder if the backtracking might have something to do with Japanese guests. Unlike over here, Japan still seems to be more apprehensive about COVID-19 still so I wouldn't be surprised if they started getting antsy. (especially the guests that are seiyuus and singers as COVID-19 could jeopardize their careers)

Really not surprised if this is the case. I know guests complaining seemed to have some effect on ACen still requiring masks practically everywhere in con even after eliminating their vaccination proof requirement.

Speaking of which, an Eventer acquaintance of mine went to 3 cons last month, and anecdotally estimated that masking percentages at said cons were:
ACen: 70%
Anime Boston: 90%
AKon: 10%

Really shows what areas of this country are still taking this seriously and which aren’t. I was at AB 2 weeks ago, and even though I was only there for Saturday, what I saw of the masking there was pretty decent. Also, had practically no wait to pick up my badge Saturday afternoon, even with the vaxx check. The people waiting to buy badges at the con though (and made worse when their metal detectors stopped working for a couple of hours afterwards)…
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:52 pm Reply with quote
jimmyzinny wrote:
Clown expo. Most people don't even shower there but there're bigger problems like a dead virus lol.

Yeah man, covid is over, which is why my preschool had to close down for five days last week because spread had become so severe among children too young to be vaccinated
Blazi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Guess I'm not going then
animefan1238

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:54 pm Reply with quote
GhostStalkerSA wrote:
Pokenatic wrote:

Really shows what areas of this country are still taking this seriously and which aren’t. I was at AB 2 weeks ago, and even though I was only there for Saturday, what I saw of the masking there was pretty decent. Also, had practically no wait to pick up my badge Saturday afternoon, even with the vaxx check. The people waiting to buy badges at the con though (and made worse when their metal detectors stopped working for a couple of hours afterwards)…

I was at AB too. From my end everyone was adhering with the masking policy and didn't seem to care. For me it seemed they were just happy to be back at the con, seeing their fellow nerds again and happy to be out and about.

I understand why some might be unhappy but the virus is still out there but my wife said if folks get it the vaccine is working and the treatment they have is really good. It doesn't mean to be reckless but looks like we are on the trend to seeing the light at the end of the tunnel in this pandemic.
pirateaddict
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:49 am Reply with quote
This quick turnaround on their decision about vaccine/mask requirements isn't really a surprise. After I'd read the original story I was on Twitter and several of the well known US voice actors who were supposed to be attending immediately announced they would no longer bother going due to the risk. I wonder if this is why the con has now changed their minds.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:13 am Reply with quote
pirateaddict wrote:
This quick turnaround on their decision about vaccine/mask requirements isn't really a surprise. After I'd read the original story I was on Twitter and several of the well known US voice actors who were supposed to be attending immediately announced they would no longer bother going due to the risk. I wonder if this is why the con has now changed their minds.

I wouldn't be surprised. Basically the same thing happened with ACen's mask requirement.
I don't necessarily mind that conventions have quickly reinstated requirements, but the speed of that decision suggests to me that they were throwing it out there to see what reaction they would get. I get it that monitoring these things is an extra effort for staff/volunteers, but the plans for that are, presumably, already in place. If nothing else, people have reacted negatively because the expectation going into it was that there would be these measures, and people knew about it prior to deciding whether to attend. Regardless of what conventions decide to do, they are asking for a negative response when it comes late enough that people are in a position where they have to either go and take increased risks, or be out the money. As I said with ACen, the time to make those changes is 2023 when people can make a decision without the prospect of losing money on it.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Tenbyakugon wrote:

Influenza

What about her Razz

charliepanayi wrote:
Cowards caved in huh, it's not going to make any difference to who gets covid anyway, but I guess a lot of people stil like the pandemic theatre - oh well sooner or later these pointless rules will be gone people will have to get used to it eventually.

Sorry every state in the U.S. can’t be as irresponsible and reckless as Florida and threaten to heavily fine, pull funding, or threaten jobs of organizations, entities, & individuals choosing to keep their employees, clients, guests, & customers safe.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:45 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Sorry every state in the U.S. can’t be as irresponsible and reckless as Florida and threaten to heavily fine, pull funding, or threaten jobs of organizations, entities, & individuals choosing to keep their employees, clients, guests, & customers safe.

Well lets give full disclosure here. California leads the US in infections, while also having the most stringent mandates. Florida has no restrictions, and does not lead the US in Covid anything.

Look for yourself..
https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#trends_dailycases
jrockfreak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
jrockfreak wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
it's really weird how people think COVID is gone. the reason it's gone down is BECAUSE of vaccines. requiring them is the logical thing for large events. Masks is nice but vaccines is better

I agree, it is a bit odd that people just sort of think because Covid isnt being talked about daily now that its over because its certainly not gone. But I went to Momocon here in Georgia a few weeks ago and they also didn't require proof of vaccination which I was ok with because that meant I could actually go so to a degree I think this is a way to help increase attendance because now non vaxed can come as well.

It's hard not to think that might be a factor. It's at least why I skipped my local convention last year, despite having a rolled over ticket. I was already on the fence because I wasn't especially convinced about how well the convention would enforce its own rules, but at the last minute they decide to allow door registration. No door registration made sense since it would allow them to know ahead of time how many people were coming and maintain a limited capacity. The convention had briefly left that particular venue because space was becoming an issue, so max capacity wasn't a great idea in 2021. But when the easiest precaution to enforce was thrown out to sell more tickets, I knew I didn't want to go anymore.

Yea it is hard to tell sometimes if a con will stick to the rules they lay out or not because with so many people its easy for things to get a bit more "relaxed".
jrockfreak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Pokenatic wrote:

Thats a great question and you could be right.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Well lets give full disclosure here. California leads the US in infections, while also having the most stringent mandates. Florida has no restrictions, and does not lead the US in Covid anything.

Look for yourself..
https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#trends_dailycases

California has a population of 39.35 million.
Florida has a population of 21.22 million.

According to the CDC tracker above:
As of June 10, California's seven-day case rate per 100,000 is 324.65.
As of June 10, Florida's seven-day case rate per 100,000 is 344.38.

Florida has been higher than California throughout most of this year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4